ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer

Not if firing after dec 1 wil save a few millions....
Then you really didn’t have a problem with the way he handled the situation. If an employee has done something you believe to be so bad that you believe you have to terminate you do it then. You don’t wait 6 weeks, and let them keep working in the mean time.

besides if they were firing him over the eyes of Texas they could theoretically contest the buyout.

In my day we would take in a wine Bota. Undetectable under your coat.....and the damn things could hold a quart almost. Just open the coat, squeeze in all the glass could hold and you were good till the next time.

maybe a better idea today as there is no metal in em to light up a detector.

I had a pair of Binoculars with screw off eye pieces....fill both eyes up then screw the eyepieces back on

Then you really didn’t have a problem with the way he handled the situation. If an employee has done something you believe to be so bad that you believe you have to terminate you do it then. You don’t wait 6 weeks, and let them keep working in the mean time.

besides if they were firing him over the eyes of Texas they could theoretically contest the buyout.
I agree. That goes into the legal space and I am not an expert at that.
I can imagine the negative press UT would get for firing herman over the eyes. Could also make hiring the next coach harder.

Best to let this season play out. Even if he wins out, the level at which the team is playing is cause enough.

I agree. That goes into the legal space and I am not an expert at that.
I can imagine the negative press UT would get for firing herman over the eyes. Could also make hiring the next coach harder.

Best to let this season play out. Even if he wins out, the level at which the team is playing is cause enough.

Agreed, there are many contractual obligations that the attorneys must go over and then contemplate the best route for termination. Firing a $6.5 million/year football coach is not like terminating bob for not making his sales numbers. He also is still alive for the B12 Title. Once that has been breached, this will pick up steam quickly. Yes, he still gets fired for losing the B12 Title game. He has to beat OU. Texas is not like Iowa State or any other middling school.

If they did fire Herman and Meyer fell through for some reason I’d start discussing Hugh Freeze

Reactions: freeper
I am not sure if we fire Herman unless we know for a fact who we will be hiring. So, no point speculating on who to contact after the firing.

I am not sure if we fire Herman unless we know for a fact who we will be hiring. So, no point speculating on who to contact after the firing.
Agree with the first part.

I’m of the opinion that there is a much better chance than most on here think that Texas wins out the regular season. ISU at home is very winnable. One of the few things Texas has done well lately is run defense. They corralled both Hubbard and Brown over the last two weeks. Neither ISU or KSU are the wide open dual threat offenses that typically give Texas trouble.

However, if Texas does win out I doubt they can beat OU in the championship game. So, it comes down to if CDC actually has a commitment from Urban or not. Otherwise what is the point of firing Herman?

Reactions: 2300 Nueces
He gone. You cannot compare being a college football coach to a 9-5 job.

His boss told him to do something and he didn't do it. So, the boss had to do it for him. Now the boss is royally PO'd.

If he waits to the end of the season, he saves several million and he reduces the risk that some of the morons on our roster do something stupid mid-season.

Like I said. He gone.

He gone. You cannot compare being a college football coach to a 9-5 job.

His boss told him to do something and he didn't do it. So, the boss had to do it for him. Now the boss is royally PO'd.

If he waits to the end of the season, he saves several million and he reduces the risk that some of the morons on our roster do something stupid mid-season.

Like I said. He gone.
See that’s where I disagree. If he’s being fired because his boss told him to do something and he didn’t do it he should be fired immediately not nearly 3 months later. The money is irrelevant as I am positive there is a clause in there that says If they fire him for cause they owe him nothing or much less. That’s in every coaches contract. If they are indeed firing him for disobeying an order from his boss that indeed would be cause. So if CDC has indeed decided to fire him due to not following his orders there is no reason to wait. Actually waiting probably hurts their case.

I suspect though if Herman is fired it will be football related and nothing to do with any of the other BS

See that’s where I disagree. If he’s being fired because his boss told him to do something and he didn’t do it he should be fired immediately not nearly 3 months later. The money is irrelevant as I am positive there is a clause in there that says If they fire him for cause they owe him nothing or much less. That’s in every coaches contract. If they are indeed firing him for disobeying an order from his boss that indeed would be cause. So if CDC has indeed decided to fire him due to not following his orders there is no reason to wait. Actually waiting probably hurts their case.

I suspect though if Herman is fired it will be football related and nothing to do with any of the other BS
I would normally agree with what you are saying here but the amount of money involved is still a strong consideration to wait until Dec 1. Herman has shown CDC that he is an ass clown and CDC will not forget that. Herman should be totally embarrassed when CDC and the President of the School had to get involved but he is too immature to comprehend how much he messed up. He is gone after Dec 1. Herman spit in our faces with the Eyes of Texas issue and I for one will not forget or forgive him. To add insult to injury, not only has he proven himself to not be a great coach, but now he is losing recruits right and left. He is so lucky there are not fans in the stands booing him non-stop. If CDC does not pull the trigger this year, then next season will be the sound of Boos raining down on Herman and CDC's job would be in jeopardy.

I would normally agree with what you are saying here but the amount of money involved is still a strong consideration to wait until Dec 1. Herman has shown CDC that he is an ass clown and CDC will not forget that. Herman should be totally embarrassed when CDC and the President of the School had to get involved but he is too immature to comprehend how much he messed up. He is gone after Dec 1. Herman spit in our faces with the Eyes of Texas issue and I for one will not forget or forgive him. To add insult to injury, not only has he proven himself to not be a great coach, but now he is losing recruits right and left. He is so lucky there are not fans in the stands booing him non-stop. If CDC does not pull the trigger this year, then next season will be the sound of Boos raining down on Herman and CDC's job would be in jeopardy.
I get what you are saying, and if we are paying the buyout that would make sense, but if as others have claimed he is being fired because the president and AD told him to do something and he didn’t do it. That would fall under the “with cause” portion of his contract(I’m positive he has one) and therefore would be owed either no buyout or a far reduced one. If that’s the route they are going then they actually hurt their argument by waiting. As Herman would probably challenge it by saying “if I’m being fired with cause why did you wait 3 months” and he’d have a point.

Now I happen to believe if he’s fired it would be strictly for football reasons and in that case yes it would make sense to wait till December. I think the eyes of Texas thing has been blown way out of proportion, and has been botched by all sides, but I don’t think it has anything to do with Herman’s future

Herman is not an employee at will. You don't just go into the office and say "Pack up your office. We'll mail you last week's pay check." He likely has some objective milestones and the ubiquitous "for cause" provision. The "for clause" provision is typically invoked for situations like Steve Sarkisian's behavior at booster events or Mike Price hitting the strip joints shortly after joining AL. You typically get out of paying severance if terminated "for cause." In Herman's case, I seriously doubt that the "for cause" provision would be invoked for the EOT matter. It, by itself, doesn't rise to the level of a typical "for cause" matter. Rather, CDC would aggregate this issue together with many other leadership issues and basically say "We want to go in another direction". By waiting until Dec. 1, the negotiation with the attorneys starts from a lower number.

Reactions: q1w2e3
Agree with the first part.

I’m of the opinion that there is a much better chance than most on here think that Texas wins out the regular season. ISU at home is very winnable. One of the few things Texas has done well lately is run defense. They corralled both Hubbard and Brown over the last two weeks. Neither ISU or KSU are the wide open dual threat offenses that typically give Texas trouble.

However, if Texas does win out I doubt they can beat OU in the championship game. So, it comes down to if CDC actually has a commitment from Urban or not. Otherwise what is the point of firing Herman?
I would be more convinced of Texas winning out if the offense was more productive. I just can’t understand why thw offense struggles week in and week out.

So if Clob said to go back with John Mac, you'd follow?
Wait---- wut? Let me go on record as saying that clob would never say that.

2nd--- I just tell you knuckleheads what I hear through people I trust and have known for 2+ decades.

3rd--- please, I beg of you, don't put my name and "that former coaches name" in a sentence together ever again.

I would be more convinced of Texas winning out if the offense was more productive. I just can’t understand why thw offense struggles week in and week out.

TH still runs the offense. He subverts Yurcich on the headset. It's been proven. TH's offenses are predictable and his play calling patterns are obvious to opposing teams. He was fired from calling plays last year and yet he still does it. He should be fired. He's a pathological micromanager. All one has to do is observe the turtling and it's obvious.

Last edited:
Never seen him wear so many face mask! He must have 10 on the sidelines or is he advertising for the companies that make them?

Wait---- wut? Let me go on record as saying that clob would never say that.

2nd--- I just tell you knuckleheads what I hear through people I trust and have known for 2+ decades.

3rd--- please, I beg of you, don't put my name and "that former coaches name" in a sentence together ever again.
I apologize Clob for that post. I just tried to make an ill attempt for an outlandish idea. You have better contacts than most of us. (But, I gotta ask...did that "concussion" really happen to him?!)

I get what you are saying, and if we are paying the buyout that would make sense, but if as others have claimed he is being fired because the president and AD told him to do something and he didn’t do it. That would fall under the “with cause” portion of his contract(I’m positive he has one) and therefore would be owed either no buyout or a far reduced one. If that’s the route they are going then they actually hurt their argument by waiting. As Herman would probably challenge it by saying “if I’m being fired with cause why did you wait 3 months” and he’d have a point.

Now I happen to believe if he’s fired it would be strictly for football reasons and in that case yes it would make sense to wait till December. I think the eyes of Texas thing has been blown way out of proportion, and has been botched by all sides, but I don’t think it has anything to do with Herman’s future
It is time to stop defending Tom.. Unfortunately he blew it at Texas and Texas with the talent it has is struggling in what is one of the worst years in this conference in decades..

We can probably take Franklin off the list...he was on mine.

Fluck...we're doomed.

Like I have said in the past, get a good HC, maybe from High School ranks. Use the money saved to pay the players. Baylor did it but they let the players go crazy. Have some terms for payment limiting bad behavior and watch the titles roll in.

STOP! STOP IT, BOY! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING???

LISTEN, EVERYBODY!!!

IF WE DON'T HAVE URBAN IN THE BAG... WE DON'T... MAKE... A MOVE!

IT'S URBAN! THAT'S THE LIST! THERE'S NO "BUT PJ FLECK..."

STOP! IT'S URBAN! YOU DON'T RISK ANOTHER MEDIOCRE RESET! WE HAVEA PERFECTLY MEDIOCRE COACH, WITH ADMITTEDLY A HIGH POSSIBLE UPSIDE.

but no wish lists. our coach next year is Urban Meyer or it's Tom Herman. That's it.

LISTEN, EVERYBODY!!!

STOP! IT'S URBAN! YOU DON'T RISK ANOTHER MEDIOCRE RESET! WE HAVEA PERFECTLY MEDIOCRE COACH, WITH ADMITTEDLY A HIGH POSSIBLE UPSIDE.

but no wish lists. our coach next year is Urban Meyer or it's Tom Herman. That's it.
Correct, I was illustrating the absurdity of going after another mediocre coach and paying him 7 million per year. It's dumb.

LISTEN, EVERYBODY!!!

Yep...so Tom Herman it is. Yay!

Herman is not an employee at will. You don't just go into the office and say "Pack up your office. We'll mail you last week's pay check." He likely has some objective milestones and the ubiquitous "for cause" provision. The "for clause" provision is typically invoked for situations like Steve Sarkisian's behavior at booster events or Mike Price hitting the strip joints shortly after joining AL. You typically get out of paying severance if terminated "for cause." In Herman's case, I seriously doubt that the "for cause" provision would be invoked for the EOT matter. It, by itself, doesn't rise to the level of a typical "for cause" matter. Rather, CDC would aggregate this issue together with many other leadership issues and basically say "We want to go in another direction". By waiting until Dec. 1, the negotiation with the attorneys starts from a lower number.
I would say ignoring orders from the people who you report to would fall under “cause”. I ageee “cause” usually comes in to play with extreme situations, but that’s because most people are smart enough not to just ignore their boss

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT