ADVERTISEMENT

What happened with your football program?

CapitolHillSpartan

Jun 9, 2003
A decade ago you were winning the NC now you're getting blown out by 40+ points against TCU. Texas has the best natural recruiting area in college football and should always be a top 10 program.

If you are a MSU Spartan, you better watch out, your coach is looking pretty damn good right now. And just like you lost Nick Saban to LSU, I could see Texas walking in and taking DeAntonio from you as well.

If you are a MSU Spartan, you better watch out, your coach is looking pretty damn good right now. And just like you lost Nick Saban to LSU, I could see Texas walking in and taking DeAntonio from you as well.
Dantonio not DeAntonio dumbass. While I'm flattered that you want to hire Mark Dantonio he would never leave an elite program like Michigan State for a 3-5 year rebuilding job like Texas. Michigan State has the boosters to match all offers and Coach D has children that are current students at Michigan State.

I'm sure you told LSU fan the same thing. Dream on.

MSU is a stepping stone program not a place where coaches hope to end up. Texas is still the #1 job in college football. Just being in the middle of Texas makes it a more desirable job and if the BMD of Texas really wanted DANTONIO, there is no way in hell that MSU could match what they can offer.

Reactions: Autman

Lol. You nerds "settled" on your 5th option Chuck Strong the last go around. You're not getting Mark.

Dantonio not DeAntonio dumbass. While I'm flattered that you want to hire Mark Dantonio he would never leave an elite program like Michigan State for a 3-5 year rebuilding job like Texas. Michigan State has the boosters to match all offers and Coach D has children that are current students at Michigan State.
Gemba, is that you?

A decade ago you were winning the NC now you're getting blown out by 40+ points against TCU. Texas has the best natural recruiting area in college football and should always be a top 10 program.

You give any coach a team featuring mostly freshmen against a top 5 team returning its ENTIRE offense from a playoff caliber season a year ago, and today is what youre going to see. Why is anyone shocked by it? Texas has played 4 out of 5 games against ranked opponents with ND and TCU currently in the top 10. And again with mostly freshmen featuring, including two starting on the OLine. Wake up people. What do you expect? And we get a ranked OU team this next week. 5 out 6 weeks against a ranked opponent.

Lol. You nerds "settled" on your 5th option Chuck Strong the last go around. You're not getting Mark.

First thing that came to mind. Dudes like SOW were certain they had Saban on lockdown then had to convince themselves that they were after Charlie all along.

I don't think they have any choice but to let Charlie play this out. If they dump him they are going to end up with another 3rd option guy and get average results again. Might as well sit on Charlie until they know they can get a top flight coach.

daily_picdump_1934_60_zpso94i1tre.jpg

Hook'em

I think it is even money that Strong is the coach next season. I could be wrong but I just don't see it. I think he is in over his head.

And that is too bad, because I think he is really good for the program in many ways, just not football.

If I was Texas, I start throwing money at Briles and Saban now. Say what you want, Saban wins games and would never put up with the sloppy play that you are seeing now. Briles is obviously doing great things at Baylor. Chip Kelly maybe also but it just seemed like his teams were good until they played an Alabama or an LSU and then they got shut down.

You give any coach a team featuring mostly freshmen against a top 5 team returning its ENTIRE offense from a playoff caliber season a year ago, and today is what youre going to see. Why is anyone shocked by it? Texas has played 4 out of 5 games against ranked opponents with ND and TCU currently in the top 10. And again with mostly freshmen featuring, including two starting on the OLine. Wake up people. What do you expect? And we get a ranked OU team this next week. 5 out 6 weeks against a ranked opponent.
good points.....Texas has played a very tough schedule. I still expect Texas to beat some quality teams before the season ends----maybe starting Saturday in Dallas.....

Mark Dantonio he would never leave an elite program like Michigan State.

Michigan State is an elite program? Since when? I grew up in that hell hole, and even the locals don't think MSU is an elite program. Michigan State will never come close to being on the same level as the University of Texas in stature, influence or tradition.

Last edited:
If I was Texas, I start throwing money at Briles and Saban now. Say what you want, Saban wins games and would never put up with the sloppy play that you are seeing now. Briles is obviously doing great things at Baylor. Chip Kelly maybe also but it just seemed like his teams were good until they played an Alabama or an LSU and then they got shut down.
Damn it I agree with Bell on the chip kelly thing....he did great till he stepped up to high competition.

We are not shocked that we lost. We are not shocked that we got beat soundly. We are shocked at how pathetic of a fight we put up. We are shocked that we are worse now than the 1st game this staff coached. We are shocked that our team is not well coached. We are shocked we are outschemed every week...We are shocked our team is playing like they have no heart and no pride....among many other things.

Michigan State is an elite program? Since when? I grew up in that hell hole, and even the locals don't think MSU is an elite program. Michigan State will never come close to being on the same level as the University of Texas in stature, influence or tradition.
This is a perfect example of a TRUE rivalry post.....Longhorns and sooners blast each other but at the end of the day there is a mutual respect....No matter how nice you are sooner Texas is going to roll you guys this week!

Want to buy a bridge?

One reason I can't stand aggy is they talk like they are ou and have actually won something...

Oh and ou sucks.

Yeah, as much as these Texas struggles don't bother me, I have to agree with my fellow sooner on this one.
If you think your coach isn't vulnerable to the most powerful athletic department poaching him away from Frozen Shangri-la you are a lot wrong.

I don't know one person who puts MSU football on the same level as UT football, basketball yes, football??
Hell no.

We are not shocked that we lost. We are not shocked that we got beat soundly. We are shocked at how pathetic of a fight we put up. We are shocked that we are worse now than the 1st game this staff coached. We are shocked that our team is not well coached. We are shocked we are outschemed every week...We are shocked our team is playing like they have no heart and no pride....among many other things.
Solid post...we have been there before with an even worse performance but it's the same cause. We came within a hair of doing it last year too, but the staff moved on that cancer just in time...took them too long.

It's hard to understand how a coach can come from a successful stay at his previous gig but come in and lose your team in the locker-room. Someone better figure that out soon or it will get even worse.

Charlie Strong is a good football coach but a poor fit for Texas. Just like Rich Rod at Michigan. The football environment and expectations at Texas are far bigger than those at Louisville. Charlie is in over his head in Austin and will most likely be let go before December. I expect Texas to make a huge push for Saban and he may be willing to leave Tuscaloosa this time. Charlie on the other hand could very well end up the next HC at South Carolina where the "ole ball coach," will retire after their dismal season. Strong would do great at Carolina.

Reactions: CFB09
Yes, MSU is having a nice run, and all the closet Sparties are out now talkin Sh!t. Texas is a proud and distinguished program associated with consistent success, just like Michigan. The Wolverines are about to reclaim the state, and the B10. Even in our down years, no one much outside of East Lansing gives a crap about Sparty. Didn't mean to have this argument on a Texas message board, but couldn't resist. I know how you feel Longhorns.

Solid post...we have been there before with an even worse performance but it's the same cause. We came within a hair of doing it last year too, but the staff moved on that cancer just in time...took them too long.

It's hard to understand how a coach can come from a successful stay at his previous gig but come in and lose your team in the locker-room. Someone better figure that out soon or it will get even worse.

I think decision making (or lack of) plays a huge part in the failure so far. He went with concussed Ash ( don't get me wrong, this kid played his heart out but we all knew he would not last) he did not go after any Juco Players to temporarily shore up our needs. He was arrogant or took bad advice on thinking we could "get by" with playing so many freshman. He hung onto Watson way too long and Hung onto Swoopes because Watson told him to. He thought his "core Values" would unite the horns , well if we were winning it would. Last year when Bedford threw a fit and started not talking to the press that was a red flag. I honestly thought wickline was the second coming of jesus when compared to O line guys, I was wrong. There are so many mistakes with this guy right now that it may be too much to overcome. I know for one thing though, I am tired of losing and seeing a unprepared Div 1 team out there. Many...Many more teams are doing more with less talent.

...he did not go after any Juco Players to temporarily shore up our needs...
I have never understood why your staff didn't sniff on Hubenak. He would start for you know I believe...was from Georgetown...had stupid stat's at Blinn...you had a glaring need.

Instead he will sit behind Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray just in case they get hurt. WTF?

I have never understood why your staff didn't sniff on Hubenak. He would start for you know I believe...was from Georgetown...had stupid stat's at Blinn...you had a glaring need.

Instead he will sit behind Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray just in case they get hurt. WTF?

There seems to be 2 sides that will argue it differently , but I think it would have given us some quality guys to replace the ones that left. We only needed a couple years but for whatever reason this staff could not sell those kids or they did not completely go after them. Either way, it is a major mistake.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but your comment begs the question:

With all of that "status, influence, and tradition" (and for the sake of completeness, I'll add: "money"), how did such a great program free-fall into the lower depths of NCAA football?

Your predicament leaves a lot of football fans scratching their heads.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT