ADVERTISEMENT

What happened with your football program?

nothing against MSU ...but Sparty is this decade version of what Arizona was back in the late 90's ..the new winning program on the block for about 5years...but blueblood NOT ...not even the class of their state ..everyone knows there's only about 7-10 Blueblood programs and MSU is not one of them

Charlie Strong is a good football coach but a poor fit for Texas. Just like Rich Rod at Michigan. The football environment and expectations at Texas are far bigger than those at Louisville. Charlie is in over his head in Austin and will most likely be let go before December. I expect Texas to make a huge push for Saban and he may be willing to leave Tuscaloosa this time. Charlie on the other hand could very well end up the next HC at South Carolina where the "ole ball coach," will retire after their dismal season. Strong would do great at Carolina.
You think he'd be successful in the SEC but can't hack it in the Big 12?

Think all that happened was a switch of conferences? Not a new coach and heisman winning QB?

Why would Strong be successful in the SEC?
I can think of one reason. He likes to run the ball and play defense. Isn't that what the successful teams in the SEC do? Run the ball, play D. Bama, LSU, Auburn, georgia................................................

Reactions: Belldozer1
I can think of one reason. He likes to run the ball and play defense. Isn't that what the successful teams in the SEC do? Run the ball, play D. Bama, LSU, Auburn, georgia................................................
Liking to and being able to are vastly different things? Maybe he could though

If I was Texas, I start throwing money at Briles and Saban now. Say what you want, Saban wins games and would never put up with the sloppy play that you are seeing now. Briles is obviously doing great things at Baylor. Chip Kelly maybe also but it just seemed like his teams were good until they played an Alabama or an LSU and then they got shut down.

Look a lot of TX fans are feeling raw right now. Can't you just leave us alone for a couple of days? Some of us not just me are tired of condescending, patronizing replies. Look it appears that OSU along with TCU,and Baylor, will be OK's biggest competition in the Big XII this year. If you can't be on your board, yeah right, why aren't you on theirs?

All of these WHAT IFS. What if we hire this coach or that coach blah, blah, blah. IF we did hire a new coach and the new coach doesn't have a winning record next year. Are we going to blame Strong like we did Mack for the team he is receiving? It doesn't matter who in the hell is the coach this year. We would still be having a losing record as of today. If we were to get Saban, we will be a running team. What type of offense do the high schools mainly run in the state of Texas? Spread/Open offense, not the running offense. So, that's a bad fit. Kinda like Strong, huh. Smh. It's going to take a year to see progress and get the kids that can fit this team, PERIOD. No matter who is the coach. If you don't think our Fr are going to be studs in a year or too then you my friend are blind as a bat. They are just too young.

All of these WHAT IFS. What if we hire this coach or that coach blah, blah, blah. IF we did hire a new coach and the new coach doesn't have a winning record next year. Are we going to blame Strong like we did Mack for the team he is receiving? It doesn't matter who in the hell is the coach this year. We would still be having a losing record as of today. If we were to get Saban, we will be a running team. What type of offense do the high schools mainly run in the state of Texas? Spread/Open offense, not the running offense. So, that's a bad fit. Kinda like Strong, huh. Smh. It's going to take a year to see progress and get the kids that can fit this team, PERIOD. No matter who is the coach. If you don't think our Fr are going to be studs in a year or too then you my friend are blind as a bat. They are just too young.
I do not understand why some of us KEEP having to tell posters like you over and over and over, that we are NOT pissed about losing to TCU.... We are pissed at the lack of discipline, pride, heart, effort......We think that the kids that have played for Coach Strong and his staff should be showing improvement and not making the same stupid mistakes over and over....I keep hearing about this freshman class and maybe they will be studs in a year or two...but if we don't get any recruits BEHIND them what will the excuse be?....do we only need one class and just wait till they are jrs and srs?....

Let me ask you this, do you think Strong hired the right Offensive playcaller from the beginning? Could he have hired a better staff? I mean not many coaches hire the offensive staff BEFORE they hire the OC, or in our case Asst. Head Coach in charge of offense...If you were a head coach wouldn't you take the schedule you are going to play into account as well as your recruiting base.... ie got to score points, recruiting base mainly runs the spread, and hire coaches who run the spread on offense and hire coaches who can at least slow the spread on defense? I would. If I am the coach and I am not comfortable in a certain offense I bring in somebody who is.

I have said this many times...in college football you need badass coaching or badass recruiting to be successful...get both and you are talking championships....You got to have recruiters on the staff and I mean rainmakers....all coaches at this level can teach but not all can recruit...Now i do know some coaches are better teachers than others but recruiting is the lifeblood of a team.

Last edited:
Reactions: clob94
Look a lot of TX fans are feeling raw right now. Can't you just leave us alone for a couple of days? Some of us not just me are tired of condescending, patronizing replies. Look it appears that OSU along with TCU,and Baylor, will be OK's biggest competition in the Big XII this year. If you can't be on your board, yeah right, why aren't you on theirs?
Yeah you are right. What was I thinking being over here on our biggest rivals board. It's only RRS week. My posts are generally well natured and respectful. Calm down.

Even though all of the other fans in the Big XII would deny it, especially the TCU and Baylor fans right now, the Big XII is dependent upon OU and Texas being the big dogs. When either or both are down, the Big XII is down. Think of this, if either OU or Texas had managed the same records TCU or Baylor had ended up with last year would either team have been left out of the Playoff? NO WAY!!! An 11-1 Texas or 11-1 OU would have been there and tOSU would have been left out. But people still see Baylor and TCU and not having the tradition. That is definitely coming around, but for the Big XII to be seen as the contender to the SEC, OU and/or Texas needs to be leading program.
OU and Texas fans do fight and sometimes ridicule each other, but that is because we have been the "big dogs" for more than fifty years! We each have multiple NCs are are each considered "blue blood" programs for college football, just like ND, USC, Alabama, tOSU, etc. Fifty years ago, OU and Texas were relevent. Looking twenty years from now to the future, if typical college football fans picked who would likely by the favorites to win the Big XII then, most would pick either OU or Texas, because of our shared history. Tech had a few good years then dropped back into their traditional positions. Baylor and TCU looke good right now but ten years from now could either be leaders or middle-of-the-pack again. But OU and Texas fans can feel assured that we will be going after each other in the future because we are the programs that hold the Big XII together. If OU and Texas left, this conference would be the Mountain West all over again!

I have never understood why your staff didn't sniff on Hubenak. He would start for you know I believe...was from Georgetown...had stupid stat's at Blinn...you had a glaring need.

Instead he will sit behind Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray just in case they get hurt. WTF?
Dude, that kid wouldn't do anything more for us behind this OL than what we have. Stop talking out of your ass...

Even though all of the other fans in the Big XII would deny it, especially the TCU and Baylor fans right now, the Big XII is dependent upon OU and Texas being the big dogs. When either or both are down, the Big XII is down. Think of this, if either OU or Texas had managed the same records TCU or Baylor had ended up with last year would either team have been left out of the Playoff? NO WAY!!! An 11-1 Texas or 11-1 OU would have been there and tOSU would have been left out. But people still see Baylor and TCU and not having the tradition. That is definitely coming around, but for the Big XII to be seen as the contender to the SEC, OU and/or Texas needs to be leading program.
OU and Texas fans do fight and sometimes ridicule each other, but that is because we have been the "big dogs" for more than fifty years! We each have multiple NCs are are each considered "blue blood" programs for college football, just like ND, USC, Alabama, tOSU, etc. Fifty years ago, OU and Texas were relevent. Looking twenty years from now to the future, if typical college football fans picked who would likely by the favorites to win the Big XII then, most would pick either OU or Texas, because of our shared history. Tech had a few good years then dropped back into their traditional positions. Baylor and TCU looke good right now but ten years from now could either be leaders or middle-of-the-pack again. But OU and Texas fans can feel assured that we will be going after each other in the future because we are the programs that hold the Big XII together. If OU and Texas left, this conference would be the Mountain West all over again!

Yeah you are right. What was I thinking being over here on our biggest rivals board. It's only RRS week. My posts are generally well natured and respectful. Calm down.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what I questioned you with Belldozer. And this is for you and this other sooner poster I've replied to.First of all buddy we live in a here and now in the USofA. And since you apparently forgot tOSU went on the win the NC so it's not relevant anymore. Since you also forgot or didn't pay attention to,big surprise, the Big XII does not have a title game but the Big X does, and tOSU destroyed WI with a third string qb. So it wouldn't mattered at all if it was OK or TX.

And Belldozer since you're on here more than sooner scoop or their other boards one more time you still haven't noticed that TCU, Baylor, and OSU will be your competition. Your last three games are against those teams and apparently you have not noticed. Without question Baylor has the best offense in the country and TCU is not far behind. Did you notice that Baylor which did not beat OK until 2011 has beaten OK three out of the last four. They also put an absolute beat down on OK the last two years nobody has ever done that against a Stoops team. Did you see Mike Stoops lose it and the player yelled back at him and pointed his finger at him and to the playing field at the Baylor game? Apparently not. Against TCU the final score was only 37-33 but it was not a fluke TCU was clearly the better team. They also destroyed and SEC team in the PB, and ended up ranked number two. Right now there's no reason to think that OK cam stop their offense anymore than they can stop Baylor's. I'll bet you didn't know that TCU's qb is a contender for the Heisman. OSU has been given a gift from the zebras the last two weeks they have a chance to be undefeated going into Nov. They also won at Norman last year 38-35. That was no fluke they played like they really wanted to win OK didn't. One last thing. TCU is ranked number two and Baylor is ranked number three. And I'm not sure but I think OSU is in the top 15. And I'm convinced you haven't noticed. I'll bet the sooner fans on sooner scoop have.

So what does OK's and UT's tradition have to do this year? What does where they will be ten years from now have to do with what I challenged you with? The answer is nothing. And this reply of yours show what I challenged you with above. You're nothing but a condescending and patronizing poster. And as far as your allegedly being a good natured and respectful poster than why do I more likes than you when you've made three times more replies than I have?

Last edited:
Dantonio not DeAntonio dumbass. While I'm flattered that you want to hire Mark Dantonio he would never leave an elite program like Michigan State for a 3-5 year rebuilding job like Texas. Michigan State has the boosters to match all offers and Coach D has children that are current students at Michigan State.

Say homeboy did you notice that a couple of Big XII teams not named OK or TX jumped you in the polls yesterday? Unlike MSU they blew out their mediocre competition. You worry about your team and we'll worry about ours.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what I questioned you with Belldozer. And this is for you and this other sooner poster I've replied to.First of all buddy we live in a here and now in the USofA. And since you apparently forgot tOSU went on the win the NC so it's not relevant anymore. Since you also forgot or didn't pay attention to,big surprise, the Big XII does not have a title game but the Big X does, and tOSU destroyed WI with a third string qb. So it wouldn't mattered at all if it was OK or TX.

And Belldozer since you're on here more than sooner scoop or their other boards one more time you still haven't noticed that TCU, Baylor, and OSU will be your competition. Your last three games are against those teams and apparently you have not noticed. Without question Baylor has the best offense in the country and TCU is not far behind. Did you notice that Baylor which did not beat OK until 2011 has beaten OK three out of the last four. They also put an absolute beat down on OK the last two years nobody has ever done that against a Stoops team. Did you see Mike Stoops lose it and the player yelled back at him and pointed his finger at him and to the playing field at the Baylor game? Apparently not. Against TCU the final score was only 37-33 but it was not a fluke TCU was clearly the better team. They also destroyed and SEC team in the PB, and ended up ranked number two. Right now there's no reason to think that OK cam stop their offense anymore than they can stop Baylor's. I'll bet you didn't know that TCU's qb is a contender for the Heisman. OSU has been given a gift from the zebras the last two weeks they have a chance to be undefeated going into Nov. They also won at Norman last year 38-35. That was no fluke they played like they really wanted to win OK didn't. One last thing. TCU is ranked number two and Baylor is ranked number three. And I'm not sure but I think OSU is in the top 15. And I'm convinced you haven't noticed. I'll bet the sooner fans on sooner scoop have.

So what does OK's and UT's tradition have to do this year? What does where they will be ten years from now have to do with what I challenged you with? The answer is nothing. And this reply of yours show what I challenged you with above. You're nothing but a condescending and patronizing poster. And as far as your allegedly being a good natured and respectful poster than why do I more likes than you when you've made three times more replies than I have?

Oh geez. Well let's see outhereincali. I signed up on this board not on soonerscoop. This is my board. I don't care what OSU, Baylor etc are doing right now, Good for them. Texas is our biggest rival and it's RRS week so I'm here and I'll be here all week. What are you so worked up about anyway. Are you looking for a bro board or something? You are comparing how many "likes" we have? hehe allsome

But people still see Baylor and TCU and not having the tradition. That is definitely coming around, but for the Big XII to be seen as the contender to the SEC, OU and/or Texas needs to be leading program.
I think you may have meant "winning tradition," as both Baylor and TCU were members of the Southwest Conference with UT in the early 1900s (1915 and 1923, respectively). That these two schools are the current standard bearers for the Big XII is an interesting commentary on the state of the conference. Until they are supplanted by more "legitimate" programs (ones that can play both offense AND defense), the Big XII is in jeopardy of becoming further marginalized as a C-USA or MWC type conference. (Remember where TCU landed during its hiatus between the fall of the SWC and its admission to the Big XII)

Reactions: SoonersR4Real
Oh geez. Well let's see outhereincali. I signed up on this board not on soonerscoop. This is my board. I don't care what OSU, Baylor etc are doing right now, Good for them. Texas is our biggest rival and it's RRS week so I'm here and I'll be here all week. What are you so worked up about anyway. Are you looking for a bro board or something? You are comparing how many "likes" we have? hehe allsome

Likes? Because this a Longhorn board that's why!!! UT fans want to hear what UT fans have to say!!!! Can't you take a hint? You think I'm the only UT fan who hasn't noticed what you write? The only difference between me and the others is I'm the one who lets you know what you're like.

Texas sooner

As far as tradition goes until a few years ago Oregon had no tradition. I'd say they're a high profile program now wouldn't you?

Likes? Because this a Longhorn board that's why!!! UT fans want to hear what UT fans have to say!!!! Can't you take a hint? You think I'm the only UT fan who hasn't noticed what you write? The only difference between me and the others is I'm the one who lets you know what you're like.

Texas sooner

And trust me I'm really taking your opinion to heart.

Thing about MSU is that theyre still MSU. They'll always be second fiddle to big bro Michigan in state, and behind OSU in terms of conference prestige. Sure they have a good program, solid program, I'd love for my kids to play there. But, theyre still MSU. Programs like that are destined to be flashes in the pan, but hey you never know, they could win one and turn the corner. Kind of like Oregon. The resurgence of osu since meyer came to town comes to mind. That said, texas could do better than him. Thing is can they get an elite coach? Strong was the best they could do, and the program is even worse off than they were before his hire. Maybe they'd have to resort to a dantonio, but IMO texas is stuck and they have to get a big name homerun hire.

I'm done with you. And I'm going to start being like the other and just ignore you.
I think all that hanging out in the tenderloin district is starting to effect your personality hoss. Toughen up darlin' it's just a message board geez:)

Thing about MSU is that theyre still MSU. They'll always be second fiddle to big bro Michigan in state, and behind OSU in terms of conference prestige. Sure they have a good program, solid program, I'd love for my kids to play there. But, theyre still MSU. Programs like that are destined to be flashes in the pan, but hey you never know, they could win one and turn the corner. Kind of like Oregon. The resurgence of osu since meyer came to town comes to mind. That said, texas could do better than him. Thing is can they get an elite coach? Strong was the best they could do, and the program is even worse off than they were before his hire. Maybe they'd have to resort to a dantonio, but IMO texas is stuck and they have to get a big name homerun hire.

Our former AD had an agenda when he hired Strong, he interviewed two coaches, both black, and he hired Strong. I still think Strong earned his shot, but I have little doubt what our AD was thinking when he went searching for the next Texas head coach.

Did Strong deserve the job, he was definitely qualified, was he the most qualified? We will never really know because our AD interviewed only two guys. I would say he was the most qualified of the guys that were interviewed.

Reactions: Belldozer1
It is difficult to fathom Texas' fall and the rise of Baylor and TCU.

Is coaching the total answer? I think not.

Youth, lack of a great QB, and lack of esprit de corps or team chemistry (and that I put on the coaches) all play in.

Our former AD had an agenda when he hired Strong, he interviewed two coaches, both black, and he hired Strong. I still think Strong earned his shot, but I have little doubt what our AD was thinking when he went searching for the next Texas head coach.

Did Strong deserve the job, he was definitely qualified, was he the most qualified? We will never really know because our AD interviewed only two guys. I would say he was the most qualified of the guys that were interviewed.
Good points I did not know this. Things are making a little more sense now.

Do you think maybe, that if CS is canned while trying to turn the program around in his second year that it might impact chances for hiring an elite coach ? Seems that unless you give the guy the customary 3 years that you are shooting your program in the foot.

and, Go Cats !! and, Hook 'em for the wife !

Do you think maybe, that if CS is canned while trying to turn the program around in his second year that it might impact chances for hiring an elite coach ? Seems that unless you give the guy the customary 3 years that you are shooting your program in the foot.!
A legitimate concern.

I'd say if we end up in the 4-6 win range at the end of the season, he'll get another year to make his case. 3 or less, with more embarrassing lopsided defeats, and we might need to cut our losses. We're paying at the top of the scale, have excellent facilities, and are in a location that is easy to recruit. Any coach who has potential interest will understand that there is a minimum outcome demanded, and should also understand the consequences when suitable results are not realized.

WIth the next coach better to pay more up front, but with a shorter 2-3 year guaranteed contract length and substantial performance incentives.

Hook 'em

How in the hell the AD got away with only interviewing two guys for "The best coaching job in America" seems shortsighted at best. One would think elite coaches would be frothing at the mouth for the opportunity to coach there. Who knows if round 2 would be any better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT