ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Charlie is a player-developing jedi knight)

For all the people who claimed Mack left no talent, having 10 players sign NFL contracts belies that. Going 6-7 with a lot of upper class talent was underachieving at best and there is no way the Texas fan base would tolerate 5-7 next year. Given the big xii weakness, that would be a massive step backward. CS can develop players, the question is: can he be a successful leader of a high level program?

Good grief that was idiotic...

No sh*t. It's why a few of us found it mind-bottling back then when Suchomel was insisting was word was the staff was headed in that direction. The numbers THEN were stunningly low to even REMOTELY consider taking 0. After the '09 season we projected only 12 OL on the roster for '10. And FIVE of them were going to be seniors. Turns out that Allen got hurt in the spring and ended up reshirting. A 6th lineman (Buchanan) who was going to be a junior was already well on his way to JAG status. 5 years later even taking just 2 was a monumentally stupid decision.

For all the people who claimed Mack left no talent, having 10 players sign NFL contracts belies that. Going 6-7 with a lot of upper class talent was underachieving at best and there is no way the Texas fan base would tolerate 5-7 next year. Given the big xii weakness, that would be a massive step backward. CS can develop players, the question is: can he be a successful leader of a high level program?

We would have been lucky to win 5 games if Mack were at the helm last season. We aren't going 5-7 in '15. We may not be in the playoffs but we will be better than this past season and firmly trending upward.

No sh*t. It's why a few of us found it mind-bottling back then when Suchomel was insisting was word was the staff was headed in that direction. The numbers THEN were stunningly low to even REMOTELY consider taking 0. After the '09 season we projected only 12 OL on the roster for '10. And FIVE of them were going to be seniors. Turns out that Allen got hurt in the spring and ended up reshirting. A 6th lineman (Buchanan) who was going to be a junior was already well on his way to JAG status. 5 years later even taking just 2 was a monumentally stupid decision.

Yup, especially when taking those two was ONLY because they were so desperate to come to Texas. Way to portray your University being a powerhouse... Holy moley.

Look, the jury in Austin is still out on Strong, but pointing to undrafted NFL free agents as proof that this program was loaded with talent is silly in terms of using it as evidence for your point.

That was all Mack Brown. Ask Suchomel.

Hell, we told Andrew f'n Luck "thanks, but we're all full" so why would we bother to recruiting OL with warm bodies on the roster.

Texas is better in 2015.........and I will not change my mind

Oh yeah. They never even tried with any of the players A&M signed other than Matthews.

I'm SO glad we have a coach now that doesn't care if we lose a recruiting war with a rival school in hopes of saving face in head to head recruiting because he'd rather risk losing one than wave the white flag before the fight starts. So pitiful...

Hell, we told Andrew f'n Luck "thanks, but we're all full" so why would we bother to recruiting OL with warm bodies on the roster.
Actually, he never so much as said a word to Luck on his visit. He ignored him and let Luck figure it out on his own.

Actually, he never so much as said a word to Luck on his visit. He ignored him and let Luck figure it out on his own.

I was speaking in the figurative sense and relaying a paraphrase for what Oliver Luck said in talking about Andrew's recruitment during a radio interview.

I'm very concerned we won't give Charlie enough time. The best indicator of future behavior is past behavior, Charlie had two mediocre seasons at Louisville before the program took off. I expect the same to happen here.
I concur whole-heartedly. I live in Louisville now and constantly hear abiut how much Louisville fans are already missing Strong and that Louisville will not be the same again.

I was speaking in the figurative sense and relaying a paraphrase for what Oliver Luck said in talking about Andrew's recruitment during a radio interview.
I should clarify, Mack said hello that day. He just gave the kid zero one-on-one time, per a conversation I had with Luck that day.

The War Room from 2007 is no longer in our archives, but here's a look at part of the quote from that day.

Did I say "loaded with talent?"

No.

But enough talent to do much better than than 6-7.

TCU had, what, two players selected in the draft? Yet handled us easily at home.

Interesting aggy article on that 2010 class:

http://tamu.247sports.com/Article/Texas-AM-Luke-Joeckel-Jake-Matthews-Cedric-Ogbuehi-37113154

"The Aggies’ offensive class was buoyed by the decision of then Texas head coach Mack Brown to go after just three recruits in the class because the Longhorns had so many scholarship offensive lineman already on campus. Remember that these were the days when Texas could land just about anyone they set their minds on. It was a fateful decision because while Texas had played for a national title in 2009, those offensive linemen already on campus didn’t pan out in subsequent seasons. They couldn’t protect Texas’ quarterbacks nor block for the running game. In addition, the two players that Texas did sign…Trey Hopkins and Dominic Espinosa…were more like interior linemen. The lack of linemen forced them to play younger players who weren’t physically or mentally ready for the burden of playing major college ball. Over the next five years, the Horns had two losing records and Brown was eventually replaced by Charlie Strong."

:mad::confused::eek::oops:

No.

TCU had, what, two players selected in the draft? Yet handled us easily at home.

Your take is overly simplistic and a poor interpretation of the full scope of the situation that was left by Mack Brown. Number of individual players selected in a draft is no way to fully measure the ability of a College Football team, and anyone with eyes that work could see that TCU was FAR superior to Texas. That's kid stuff.

Texas had a partial illusion of talent last year. Individual skill players on offense that were probably more talented than shown were diminished greatly by an offensive line severely lacking in talent, experience, toughness, etc., and a QB position that was struck with injury (Ash), inexperience, timidness and moderate talent.

A decent chunk of talent that Mack Brown left on the team had to be expunged by Charlie Strong because that talent was part of the festering disease that was negatively affecting the overall team.

It's a much, much bigger thing that simply saying "Mack left enough talent to win more than 6 games last year." That's just a lazy argument.

The margins of victory for Floyd were 118-110 and 116-112, not 117-111 and 116-112. Just FYI.

No.

what do you think Mack does with the talent he left behind? Better than 6-7?

Great read! Give Strong however long it takes to turn the program around, he is no doubt the right man for the job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT