ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Kyler Murray and more...)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
1648814.jpg

Charlie Strong is all-in.

As the countdown towards National Signing Day heads towards single digits and as angst/excitement levels reach never before seen highs in anticipation of the wildest end to a recruiting year that the state of Texas has ever seen, Strong has pushed every single chip in his possession into the middle of the table.

Across the table from him is a coach from College Station with cards in his hands that can't believe that he's in the situation that he's suddenly in. Hadn't he dealt with Strong already and dismissed him as not-ready-for-prime-time? Hadn't the battle for the best of the best in 2015 within the state of Texas already been waged? How has this happened?

The coach is flustered, he's cursing and he's splashing the pot with venom.

Hell, the man is playing with his Oreos and he doesn't even know it.

In the head's up match-up between Strong and Kevin Sumlin, the stakes have never been higher, as whatever has happened in terms of recruiting wins and losses in the previous 12 months pales in comparison to what's in the current pot.

The state's top quarterback. The state's top running back. The state's top wide receiver. The state's top defensive tackle. The state's top two cornerbacks.

For Strong, winning this monster pot sends the rebuilding of his program into the stratosphere. Not only would a class that will contend for the nation's best and all the recruiting momentum possibly needed for 2016 fall into his lap, but Strong will have in his possession a quarterback in Kyler Murray who can change the offensive rut the Longhorns have been in for a half-decade.

Closing the deal with Murray likely means winning every damn chip on the table and giving Strong an incredible amount of cover for the future, regardless of the record on the field in 2015 because he'd be able to sell the future that awaits this bunch.

On the other hand, the risk of what's taking place is undeniable. Gone is his previously committed quarterback to Michigan and that situation appears to be unrepairable, which means if Strong can't complete the mission with Murray, it's very possible that the single most important quest within this recruiting year will represent absolute failure. The Longhorns simply cannot emerge on Signing Day without Murray or the long-term viability of where Strong is taking the program remains in serious doubt.

Meanwhile, Sumlin probably can't fathom how all of this has turned against him. Just a few months ago, Captain Swagcopter was seemingly in complete control of the state, but the last few months have not been kind to a guy who is still trying to prove he's made of more quality substance than pure dumb luck. Losing Murray and the rest of the bluest blue-chip prospects to Strong would represent as massive of a failure in College Station as it would a colossal triumph in Austin and you're out of your mind if you think Aggies all over the state aren't on the cusp of applying some pressure to Sumlin's neck.

Not a single ounce of any of this is hyperbole. This is what is at stake.

The truth is that in the two decades I've been chronicling recruiting events in the state of Texas, I have never seen anything quite like what is transpiring.

Dare I say that this is the types of event people will be telling their grandkids about?

Buckle up.

No. 2 - Kyler Murray is going to break the Internet …

I'm going to keep this fairly short and sweet in an effort to keep things simple.

a. Ten more days. I realize the stakes of this recruiting stare-down are causing some of you to lose your minds, but take a deep breath, control your breathing and come to grips with the fact that you're about to enter a recruiting finale that is unlike anything you ever dreamed possible under Mack Brown.

b. Although we're constantly checking with sources, there hasn't been much to get worked up about over the last few days. All of our sourcing at this point continues to sing the same tune, which has the Longhorns in very good shape heading down the final 10-day homestretch.

c. As of this very moment, our sources would describe Texas as the favorite.

d. Let's make something very clear … you'd be a fool not to think this thing couldn't swing back towards A&M. Don't mistake me saying the Longhorns are currently viewed as the favorite amongst those that we speak with (many of whom have no real dog in the fight) as suggesting that anything is a done deal. Flipping from A&M to Texas won't be an event that comes easily for Murray and his family, so that truth should always be respected and not taken for granted.

e. It's quite possible that I misunderstood the timing of his announcement when reporting that Murray could have a press conference this week. Without getting into the specifics of all info that was acquired on the subject, no date was ever named, but I'm quite confident that the person that the information that was passed along is on the up and up, as details of the event were specific in nature and came from a person that is dialed into the recruitment. It's simply possible that where I interpreted the words "next week" as specific, it's possible they were meant to be vague. Frankly, too much have been made of this specific point, as the larger point that remains is that there will be announcement ceremony at some point in the next 10 days.

f. There's a lot of tension in College Station right now, so be prepared to hear anything and everything from the emotional information spouts that exist. Part of the A&M plan in the next week might be to start a propaganda program aimed at trying to convince the recruits in play that momentum is in its favor. Just keep in mind the meltdown that occurred just a few days ago, the immediate unproven claims that followed and the complete 180-degree recovery story that is now being sold.

g. Pay attention to all clues. Daylon Mack, Soso Jamabo and Damarkus Lodge are all clues because all four players want to play together if possible. Mack visiting Texas on an official visit out of thin air two days after Murray's visit wasn't an accident. Lodge coming down with Murray and now privately telling people behind the scenes that Texas is in his top two with Ole Miss is a clue. The puzzle pieces are in place, so keep an eye on them.

h. The MLB Scouting Bureau updated its 2015 Draft ratings and Murray was one of the few HS prospects rated in "group 1," which translates to a first/second rounder. Regardless of what anyone tells you, the Texas baseball component is a key ingredient to the plan being sold by the Longhorns and those on the baseball side have been key ingredients of the move that has been made. If nothing else, the shadow of the Longhorns baseball program gives him a little more leverage in negotiations.

i. Until you see a direct quote from Murray reaffirming his commitment to A&M, I think the Longhorns are sitting in good shape.

No. 3 - Gentry to Michigan and you can't really blame him …

Forget for a moment that New Mexico's finest Zach Gentry was once a cornerstone of the Texas 2015 recruiting class and potentially the man to help the program awake from its recent quarterback slumber.

Forget for a moment that Gentry was committed to the Longhorns for eight months.

From my perspective as a guy that has chronicled high school football recruiting for a long time, the only thing I want to see from the players I cover is that they land in the situation that sets them up to have the best possible life.

While so much of what we focus on is the football side of things, it's easy to forget at times that these decisions represent one of the most important life choices that a young man will ever make. Frankly, watching a kid like Ryan Newsome struggle to make a decision to such a point that the words that reflect his future can barely come out of his mouth because of the uncertainty of a selection is the kind of theater I can do without.

Therefore, when I see a kid like Gentry struggling to decipher the world around him, as opposed to the world that existed around him several months ago, I just want the kid to be able to put his name to paper on National Signing Day with a smile and the knowledge that his soul is at ease with his decisions.

In the last week, we've learned that happiness and relaxation haven't been words that reflect what has been in his head and heart for the last few weeks. Specifically, it sounds like there were a number of things that had him uneasy about his commitment.

1. With the Longhorns moving towards more of a spread offense, Gentry questioned whether his talents were still a schematic fit in Austin.

2. In addition to that concern, Gentry apparently found himself concerned with the long-term job security of Shawn Watson, who was chiefly responsible for Gentry committing to the Longhorns in the first place.

3. On top of that, Gentry has likely known for close to two months that the Longhorns were making a play for Kyler Murray, a factor that can't be completely dismissed when you consider points No. 1 and No. 2. While he was comfortable with a guy like Kai Locksley joining the fold as a second quarterback option in this class, it's important to remember that he had a positive relationship with Locksley, who he has known for years, and he probably felt like he was the better pure quarterback prospect, especially in a pro-style scheme.

You add those concerns together and a young fella can have a full blown anxiety attack because his head and heart are telling him two different things.

So, when a coach like Jim Harbaugh shows up and he's got the offensive scheme, the experience and the job security you're looking for on lockdown, the chance to be his guy had to have felt like being handed a lottery ticket.

Good for him.

I'm guessing a piece of his heart will always pump burnt orange blood, but if he's in a better place in mind, body and soul as a Wolverine, wish him the best and know that his relationship with Texas wasn't meant to be and it's so much better to learn that before Signing Day than afterwards.

No. 4 - You want Nostraketchus, I'll give you Nostraketchus …

My goodness, talk about all or nothing. With 10 days to go until the moment of truth, the Longhorns are suddenly in a position where they could land anywhere between 9-11 players in this final spring towards Signing Day, depending on how they allocate the numbers and those that are currently committed remain so.

As you'll see in this set of predictions, I've got the Longhorns closing with a fury.

(Current committed players are bolded)

Quarterback (3): Kai Locksley (Baltimore, MD), Matthew Merrick (Dallas Cistercian Prep), Kyler Murray (Allen)

Current rankings

Locksley (4 stars/5.8)
Murray (4 stars/5.9/No.77 overall nationally)
Merrick (3 stars/5.5)

Quickie thoughts: Boom.

Running Backs (5): Nicholas Brossette (Baton Rouge, La.), Soso Jamabo (Plano West), Kirk Johnson (San Jose, Ca.), Tristan Houston (Houston North Shore) and Chris Warren (Rockwall, Texas)

Current rankings

Brossette (3 stars/5.7)
Jamabo (5 stars/6.1/No.22 overall nationally)
Johnson (4 stars/5.8/No.208 overall nationally)
Houston (3 stars/5.6/)
Warren (4 stars/5.9/No.159 overall nationally)

Quickie thoughts: The Longhorns do not have a nationally elite running backs class as I type these words, but in about a week they might have one of the top two or three classes at the position in the entire nation. It'll be interesting to see how the timing of these commitments work because while I have them with five backs, the number might end up being four if there's a true numbers crunch. Jamabo almost certainly will have an offer that will exist until signing day, but one of Brossette and Warren could get left out if they hold out too long. Personally, I view Warren on a different level of prospect than Brossette and he's the guy in this class I believe the Longhorns need, but any combination of those three will be just fine the moment Jamabo jumps aboard.

Wide receivers (4): John Burt (Tallahassee, Fla.), Gilbert Johnson (Atlanta, Ga.), Damarkus Lodge (Cedar Hill) and Deandre McNeal (Mesquite Poteet)

Current rankings

Burt: (4 stars/5.9/No.93 overall nationally)
Johnson (3 stars/5.7/No.7 overall prep school)
Lodge (4 stars/6.0/No.61 overall nationally)
McNeal (3 stars/5.7)

Quickie thoughts: Just like the running backs position, there's a feeling that a game of musical chairs is taking place at this position. While you'd have to assume that Lodge has a spot being held for him, John Burt and Dominique Reed might be fighting for a single slot, (again) depending on the numbers at the end. Reed has been a long-time Arkansas lean, but the Longhorns made some serious ground up this weekend. Meanwhile, I'm not sure what to think of what's going on with Burt, but if Kai Locksley's words on Sunday are true and Burt makes it in for his official next weekend, you'd have to think he ends up with the Longhorns.

Tight ends (1): Devonaire Clarington (Hialeah, Florida)

Current rankings: Clarington (4 stars/5.8/No.9 TE)

Quickie thoughts: One of the more underrated players in this class if he qualifies because he'll come in and compete for the starting tight end position with Andrew Beck from the day he gets on campus.

Offensive linemen (6): Patrick Vahe (Euless Trinity), Ronnie Major (Huntsville), Garett Thomas (Many, Louisiana), Connor Williams (Coppell), Tristan Nickelson (Navarro JC) and Brandon Hodges (East Mississippi CC)

Current rankings

Hodges (2 stars/5.6)
Major (3 stars/5.6)
Nickelson (2 stars/5.3)
Thomas (3 stars/5.5)
Vahe (4 stars/5.8/No.183 overall nationally)
Williams (4 stars/5.8/No.223 nationally)

Quickie thoughts: This class is mostly set in stone. Ironically, Hodges and Nickelson might not be the highest-rated players among the group, but they'll be given every chance to win the left and right tackle jobs going into the season, respectively.

Defensive tackles (2): Daylon Mack (Gladewater) and Du'Vonta Lampkin (Houston Cy Falls)

Current rankings

Mack (4 stars/6.0/No.54 overall nationally)
Lampkin (3 stars/5.7/No.23 DT)

Quickie thoughts: I fully expect Mack to fight his way into the defensive tackle rotation as a true freshman if he joins the class, as I'm currently projecting him. As for Lampkin, he indicated strongly all weekend that any talk of him not signing with the Longhorns was false. Landing these two is much-needed relief at a position that needs some.

Defensive ends (2): Charles Omenihu (Rowlett) and Quincy Vasser (Navarro JC)

Current rankings

Omenihu (4 stars/5.8/No.15 WDE)
Vasser (3 stars/5.7/No.41 JUCO)

Quickie thoughts: Assuming the Longhorns finish strong at quarterback, defensive end will immediately become the most import position in the 2016 Longhorns class.

Linebackers (5): Cecil Cherry (Lakeland, Florida), Breckyn Hager (Austin Westlake), Malik Jefferson (Mesquite Poteet), Cameron Townsend (Missouri City Ridge Point) and Anthony Wheeler (Dallas Skyline)

Current rankings

Cherry (4 stars/5.8)
Hager (2 stars/5.4)
Jefferson (5 stars/6.1/No.28 overall nationally)
Townsend (3 stars/5.7)
Wheeler (4 stars/5.9/No.76 nationally)

Quickie thoughts: One of the best linebacker classes in the country, as evidenced by the fact that I believe Cherry, Jefferson and Wheeler will all compete for significant playing time/starting positions as true freshmen.

Defensive Backs (4): Kris Boyd (Gilmer), DeShon Elliott (Rockwall Heath), Holton Hill (Houston Lamar) and Jamile Johnson (South Oak Cliff)

Current rankings

Boyd (4 stars/5.9/No.114 overall nationally)
Elliott (4 stars/5.8/)
Hill (4 stars/5.9/No. 121 overall nationally)
Johnson (3 stars/5.7)

Quickie thoughts: This might be the most fluid of any position group left on the table, as Boyd is still a player I'm projecting to Texas, but if he emerges on Signing Day and tells the world he playing college football in Mars, I'm prepared for it. If the Longhorns miss on Boyd, then I might just insert DeAndre Backer into the spot. Meanwhile, I think DeVante Davis becomes a casualty in the class and ends up signing with Miami or Auburn. By the time he makes his decision, his official in early November is going to feel like it was a very long time ago.

Final Breakdown

If things were to go down exactly as I've projected, the final Texas recruiting class would break down like this:

Number of signings: 32 (Merrick will gray-shirt)

Five stars: 2
Four stars: 16
Three stars: 11
Two stars: 3

6.1: 2
6.0: 2
5.9: 6
5.8: 8
5.7: 7
5.6: 3
5.5: 2
5.4: 1
5.3: 1

Average star ranking per prospect: 3.5
Average Rivals ranking per prospect: 5.76
Projected national team ranking: No. 3-5

No. 5 - Matching up 2015 vs. 2002 …

After considering whether to save this breakdown for another column, it occurred to me that even if I omitted the conversation from this column, you guys were just going to ask me the question anyways.

Therefore, let's take a position-by-position look at the Nostraketchus predictions vs. the all-time great 2002 class, which obviously paved the way for the 2005 national title.

Quarterback

2002: Vince Young
2015: Kai Locksley, Kyler Murray and Matthew Merrick

Advantage: 2002

Running backs

2002: Albert Hardy, Selvin Young and Clint Haney
2015: Nickolas Brossette, Tristian Houston, Soso Jamabo, Kirk Johnson and Chris Warren

Advantage: 2015

Wide receivers

2002: Marquis Johnson, Dustin Miksch and Robert Timmons
2015: John Burt, Gilbert Johnson, Damarkus Lodge and DeAndre McNeil

Tight Ends

2002: David Thomas
2015: Devonaire Clarington

Offensive line

2002: Justin Blalock, Lyle Sendlein, Kasey Studdard, Neale Tweedie and Brett Valdez
2015: Patrick Vahe, Ronnie Major, Garett Thomas, Connor Williams, Tristan Nickelson and Brandon Hodges

Defensive tackles

2002: Rod Wright, Tully Janszen, Larry Dibbles and Marco Martin
2015: Daylon Mack and Du'Vonta Lampkin

Defensive ends

2002: Chase Pittman and Bryan Pickryl
2015: Charles Omenihu and Quincy Vasser

Linebackers

2002: Aaron Harris, Marcus Myers, Brian Robison, Garnet Smith and Michael Williams
2015: Cecil Cherry, Bryce Hager, Malik Jefferson, Cameron Townsend and Anthony Wheeler

Advantage: Push

Secondary

2002: Edorian McCulloch, Matthew Melton and Aaron Ross
2015: Kris Boyd, Holton Hill, DeShon Elliott and Jamile Johnson

If you're keeping track of the score, the 2002 group holds a 5-3-1 edge among all positions, which speaks to just how amazing of a class Mack Brown put together that year.

No. 6 - Scattershooting on the Longhorns …

… If you're wondering about the tight ends/special teams coaching position remains open, it seems pretty clear at this point that a hire will be made following signing day, so as not to upset the recruiting cart for the school that currently employs him.

… I'm not sure you could ask for a better review of Gladewater defensive tackle Daylon Mack's official visit than the ones he's given since leaving town on Sunday. As I've been saying for months, Texas just needed to get the kid on campus and I fully believe that the rest would take care of itself. As a guy that reportedly found College Station a little stale, I'm guessing his eyes were opened significantly in the 48 hours he was on campus.

… Kai Locksley might not get all of the attention that Kyler Murray will receive, but he might be just as critical because landing him gives the Longhorns quarterback insurance for this class and also a long-term project that could compete for the job with Murray or emerge as a starter in 2018. I quarterback is truly is desired position at the next level, Texas makes so much more sense than FSU.

… National Signing Day is pretty much going to be the opposite of what most signing days under Mack felt like back in the day. O big or go home, right?

No. 7 - Outclassed at the Erwin Center …

Truth be told, Rick Barnes' team ran into a Kansas team that probably played its game of the season on Saturday, so it's hard to go on tilt too much when a squad that might be better than you anyway plays a signature game.

And for 30 minutes or so, Texas was KU's equal …

Thus far this season, that could very well be the team's mantra … "2014-15 Longhorns: One of the best 30-minute teams in America".

With a little more than a month remaining to get this team primed for the NCAA Tournament, the Longhorns are still looking for the type of true signature win that would suggest this team is capable of a Sweet 16-type of finish. Hell, Barnes is still trying to figure out why he can't get his players to do what he wants them to do offensively.

I hate to say it is what it is, but it is what it is. If this season was a balloon, it would be one of those balloons that used to have so much helium that you worried about it getting tangled in the ceiling fan, but now has only enough left in it to barely keep you from throwing it away. You keep eye-balling it and it's not getting any higher in the air and even though you know it's not getting any better, you keep glancing at it like something is going to change.

No. 8 - Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

… My goodness, Rumble Johnson didn't just dominate Alexander Gustafsson in his own country, he broke the guy down to tears. I've been calling Rumble the second-best light heavyweight on the planet for about a year now and it would appear that the UFC world is finally on the same page about the subject as I am. The Bones/Rumble fight will be everything that Bones/Cormier was supposed to be.

… I watched exactly zero seconds of the Pro Bowl. I couldn't care less about Tea Irvin vs. Team Carter, but I'm guessing the ratings will be strong, which means the game will never go away.

… That was vintage LeBron on Sunday against OKC, but you still have to wonder if that's the LeBron we'll get night-in and night-off when the playoffs start and two-week vacations won't be on the day-planner.

… This feels like a completely lost season for OKC.

… Josh Gordon is going to end up being this decade's Richard Dumas, an incredibly gifted athlete with talent pouring out of his body, but he just can't get out of his own way. This guy should be a superstar and instead he's going to end up being a historical footnote.

… R.I.P. Mr. Cub.

… Tom Brady did it.

No. 9 - Countdown to the Oscars: 28 Days …

Work, kids and more work kept me from knocking any of the remaining movies from my to-do list, but this is likely going to be a critical week for my chances of knocking out the entire list because I've got three days off from my radio job this week.

Selma has to be the next on the list to get crossed off. I can't believe I still haven't seen it.

Next up on my Oscars to-do-list: Selma, Foxcatcher, The Imitation Game, Still Alice, Wild, The Judge and Two Days, One Night

Best Picture (based on movies that I have actually seen)

1. Boyhood
2. Birdman
3. American Sniper
4. Whiplash
5. Gone Girl

Best Actor (based on the movies that I have actually seen)

1. Michael Keaton (Birdman)
2. Bradley Cooper (American Sniper)
3. Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything)
4. Miles Teller (Whiplash)
5. Ralph Fiennes (The Grand Budapest Hotel)

Best Actress (based on the movies that I have actually seen)

1. Rosamund Pike (Gone Girl)
2. Felicity Jones (The Theory of Everything)
3. Emily Blount (Into the Woods)
4. Anne Hathaway (Interstellar)

Best Supporting Actor (based on the movies that I have actually seen)

1. J.K. Simmons (Whiplash)
2. Ed Norton (Birdman)
3. Ethan Hawke (Boyhood)
4. Miyavi (Unbroken)

Best Supporting Actress (based on the movies that I have actually seen)

1. Patricia Arquette (Boyhood)
2. Emma Stone (Birdman)
3. Meryl Streep (Into the Woods)
4. Jessica Chastain (Interstellar)
5. Carrie Coon (Gone Girl)

Best Director (based on the movies that I have actually seen)

1. Richard Linklater (Boyhood)
2. Alejandro González Iñárritu (Birdman)
3. Damien Chazelle (Whiplash)
4. Clint Eastwood (American Sniper)
5. Wes Anderson (The Grand Budapest Hotel)

No. 10 - The List: Wu-Tang Clan …

It had been a while since I had ventured into the rap genre, so putting together a Wu-Tang list is long overdue.

A few thoughts before we get to the songs…

a. I only included songs released by the group and not on individual albums, even if RZA produced and various members of the group were featured on the song. I just didn't have enough time this week to wade into solo project waters.

b. I could have simply put 10 songs up from 36 Chambers on the list because the album is that good, but I gave an honest effort to include all works from the group, even the post-ODB stuff.

c. I'm ignoring what RZA's presence did to Californication.

Let's get on with the list.

Last five songs out: Reunited

10. Rules

It's possible that I like this song more than anyone else on the planet because it's not a song that I ever see listed among fans of the group as a top track.

9. Let the Ni**** Live

The only song from The W to really earn consideration for the list.

8. Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthing ta F*** With

One of my favorite tracks on 36 Chambers, as Method Man has one of his star moments of the group's iconic album.

7. Uzi (Pinky Ring)

One of two songs from Legend of Wu-Tang that make the list.

6. Visionz

One of my favorite songs from Wu-tang Forever.

5. Bring Da Ruckus

The opening song from 36 Chambers.

4. Triumph

The best song off of Wu-tang Forever.

3. Method Man

One of three songs that were automatic inclusions into the top three.

2. Protect Ya Neck

The whole damn group is represented.

1. C.R.E.A.M.

In the end, it was an easy No. 1 selection.

Archives List

Blues/Jazz: Listen via Spotify )

Classical: Listen via Spotify)

Electronic: Listen Via Spotify

Funk: Listen Via Spotify (Part I)

Metal: Listen Via Spotify

Pop: Listen via Spotify )

Punk: Listen via Spotify)

Random: My Number 1's on Spotify

Rap: Listen via Spotify),

R&B: Listen via Spotify)

Reggae: Listen via Spotify)

Rock: Listen via Spotify )

This post was edited on 1/25 8:57 PM by Ketchum

Wow! Such a honor, can't believe in these troubled recruiting times I can actually get in first. tearing up a little.

This post was edited on 1/25 7:30 PM by Colonel Banana Dark

So close!

Thanks Ketch. It's going to be a truly wild ride.
This post was edited on 1/25 9:41 PM by dreamwv02

Too good to be true.

Not buying it.

If wrong, will suck your d*ck.

The Aggy spin is already out of control.

You have a fanbase who openly endorsed a move to the SEC so they could buy players (and already have), but now they're crying and accusing UT of cheating because they can't comprehend what's happening and why their 15 minutes is up.

Mack was a great coach. Regardless of what goes down with Murray, he would've never even gotten a call from Mack and that's fact so in my eyes we are doing a lot better than in the past. FYI Id place money on him staying at Aggy.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Clarington should be in bold print. Not being picky....some may not know he's committed.

We run the table and only lose Davis? Wow, bold but I like the confidence.

Mack was a great coach. Regardless of what goes down with Murray, he would've never even gotten a call from Mack and that's fact so in my eyes we are doing a lot better than in the past. FYI Id place money on him staying at Aggy.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT