ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (No need to drop the rope in recruiting)

@SpaceCityWrangler

I wrote this six years ago.

"With the announcement this week that sophomore defensive end Derick Roberson was departing the Texas program, I find myself forced to admit that over the last few years I’ve noticed that over the course of the last 20 years that I’ve been producing rankings from the Lone Star State, there’s a type of prospect that I’ve been falling for the okey doke on time and time again.

Call if the “Lure of the Tweener Pass-Rusher”.

If you’re wondering what I’m talking about when it comes to tweeners at the defensive end position, I’m talking about the weak-side types that come in at 6-3 and under, while weighing no more than 225-240 pounds.

As it relates to Roberson, he was likely generously listed at 6-3, 225 pounds as a prospect according to Rivals.com, which fits the type of profile that has been failing way more than it succeeds at the highest college levels.

Take a look at the weak-side defensive ends from the Lone Star State since 2002 that fit under my definition of a "tweener."

2005: Paul Freeney (6-3, 229 pounds/Signed with A&M)
2005: McKinner Dixon (6-3, 240 pounds/Signed with Texas Tech)
2006: Eddie Jones (6-3, 240 pounds/Signed with Texas)
2007: Richetti Jones (6-3, 234 pounds/Signed with Oklahoma State)
2007: Russell Carter (6-3, 230 pounds/Signed with Texas)
2007: Von Miller (6-3, 210 pounds/Signed with Texas A&M)
2007: Levar Brown (6-3, 240 pounds/Signed with Arizona)
2008: Andrew Wolridge (6-2, 235 pounds/Signed with Texas A&M)
2010: Reggie Wilson (6-2, 240 pounds/Signed wqith Texas)
2013: Torrodney Prevot (6-3, 201 pounds/Signed with Oregon)
2014: Derick Roberson (6-3, 225 pounds/Signed with Texas)

That’s a Super Bowl MVP/potential Hall of Famer ... and a bunch of JAGs for the most part.

What’s most troubling to me is that Eddie Jones, Reggie Wilson and Roberson are essentially the same prospects -- and each time I fell in love with the speed, quickness and playmaking skills off the edge that can change games when you put it all together. However, all of that sexy athletic ability clouds the reality that these tweeners rarely work out, at least when it comes to evolving into a top-level college player.

Guys like Eddie Jones and Richetti Jones were solid college players, but neither was ever difference-makers and that’s what they were projected to be. Same with Freeney, Wilson and Roberson. We’re talking national top 50-100 level prospects.

Moving forward, I won’t fall for the okey doke of the tweener defensive end so easily."?

@Ketchum

In your perfect world we take one OL?

Have we not learned our lesson that anything less than 4-5 each year results in no OL drafted for nearly the conscious lifetime of many of these recruits (08-whatever the hell it was)?!?

If there is one truth in recruiting and putting together a college team, you will be wrong with at least half your OL choices so you need to have at least double the numbers you really need. So 16-20 on the roster should be the goal. You will never get there taking 1.

Unless of course you think we are picking up 3-4 more in the portal (which we have really never done).

@Ketchum

In your perfect world we take one OL?

Have we not learned our lesson that anything less than 4-5 each year results in no OL drafted for nearly the conscious lifetime of many of these recruits (08-whatever the hell it was)?!?

If there is one truth in recruiting and putting together a college team, you will be wrong with at least half your OL choices so you need to have at least double the numbers you really need. So 16-20 on the roster should be the goal. You will never get there taking 1.

Unless of course you think we are picking up 3-4 more in the portal (which we have really never done).
One or two through HS and the other two through the Portal.

Only Kind of. Not fully feel sorry for.

That and wow, that team is full off douchebaggery. Not sure I have seen a team (maybe its just one player?) that I like less. I would hope not a single coach at UT (the real one) would let a player run the bases (or whatever in their sport) flipping the bird the entire time.

That and wow, that team is full off douchebaggery. Not sure I have seen a team (maybe its just one player?) that I like less. I would hope not a single coach at UT (the real one) would let a player run the bases (or whatever in their sport) flipping the bird the entire time.
Karma got'em.

c8c572a8929a01e878cc31179c5ddf9f.gif

Here's a clip of Gullette over the weekend...

Bulletproof is a good Adam Sandler movie. I only saw parts of Reign Over Me, but he looked talented in that.

Here's a clip of Gullette over the weekend...

god looking athlete. as expected.

... As insanely heroic as Steph Curry was in game four in the NBA Finals, it won't matter at all if the Warriors lose the series. The stakes are massive for him in this series. A fourth ring, coupled with a Finals MVP, might just have him knocking on the door of the All-Time top 10 list.

Steph quite honestly is generally underrated as an all-timer.

stay tuned fort later in the day
Yeah my thought after reading was that you’re not going to find many TE that meet the Star requirements of the 6.1 and 6.0’s. So, you have to expand for those or find an alternate solution.

Yeah my thought after reading was that you’re not going to find many TE that meet the Star requirements of the 6.1 and 6.0’s. So, you have to expand for those or find an alternate solution.

How's this for a stat from the state of Texas?

Six of the top 8 (75%) tight ends ever ranked by Rivals through the 5.9 rating were drafted. Seven of the 8 (87.5) played in the NFL.

Of the next 24 highest rated players directly after the first eight, only 3 (12.5%) were drafted.

Reactions: McGuapo
How's this for a stat from the state of Texas?

Six of the top 8 (75%) tight ends ever ranked by Rivals through the 5.9 rating were drafted. Seven of the 8 (87.5) played in the NFL.

Of the next 24 highest rated players directly after the first eight, only 3 (12.5%) were drafted.
So you mean 5.9 or higher? The rest were below?

Also, of the TEs who get drafted, were all of them listed as TE when they were recruited?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT