ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Thread

Rivals 250 update coming today. State reranking coming by the weekend. Not crazy about Rivals ranking this year, they seem to only have love for skill guys in state (some WR's way overrated imo). Maybe they give the big boys some love with the update. I used to believe rivals and 247 were far superior to ESPN. Not so sure this year.

I go to 247 first, ESPN 2nd and Rivals 5th

Rivals 250 update coming today. State reranking coming by the weekend. Not crazy about Rivals ranking this year, they seem to only have love for skill guys in state (some WR's way overrated imo). Maybe they give the big boys some love with the update. I used to believe rivals and 247 were far superior to ESPN. Not so sure this year.
One thing I do believe Rivals on is their ranking of Theo Wease. Some ppl on here and other boards dont like his rating, but that dude will play on Sundays. Book it.

Shame then that we don’t wind up with many that end up playing like five-stars.

The problem goes back to 09 and the offense Greg Davis had.
It relied on a QB way too much. We saw this last year when we knocked out Will Grier.

As a whole the Texas fanbase and program wanted to create a program that the QB wasn't the alpha and the omega.

We still haven't came through on the otherside but UT is closer to being in the position where we can win with any QB than we have ever been in.

Shame then that we don’t wind up with many that end up playing like five-stars.

True, although a lot can be blamed on terrible QB play as well. It's getting better, though.

CJ and LJH are obviously the real deal. Not sure about Woodard, but Eagles I believe is legit. As truth mentioned Joshua Moore could surprise.

Look out for my hometown guy Whittington. My kind of WR. Catches naturally with his hands, not the body, without that Limas Sweed bobble that always drove me nuts.

Reactions: TheTruthof2018
Checked out 2 2019 commits last night.

Watched almost the entire first half of Brayden Liebrock's game

Great hands. He made a catch thrown away from his body and reached behind him to pulled it in.
Needs to add some size and speed because at 6-3 can't body up at the college level

I did see him try to put pads on someone in a down field blocking situation.
Needs to get more physical

Think he can develop into something and more importantly he is an elite baseball prospect.
Said he would be interested in playing baseball for UT

Jake Smith

Kid has some Texan in him. He is what you call a football player.
Smart and efficient. Runs perfect routes perfect angles and more importantly reads blocks

Has big play potential
Will be an impact freshman. No question about it.

Checked out 2 2019 commits last night.

Watched almost the entire first half of Brayden Liebrock's game

Great hands. He made a catch thrown away from his body and reached behind him to pulled it in.
Needs to add some size and speed because at 6-3 can't body up at the college level

I did see him try to put pads on someone in a down field blocking situation.
Needs to get more physical

Think he can develop into something and more importantly he is an elite baseball prospect.
Said he would be interested in playing baseball for UT

Jake Smith

Kid has some Texan in him. He is what you call a football player.
Smart and efficient. Runs perfect routes perfect angles and more importantly reads blocks

Has big play potential
Will be an impact freshman. No question about it.

Don't forget this one.

Reactions: TheTruthof2018
Their first game is in 2 weeks, right

Is he completely healthy.

I know he missed a lot of summer camps.

I am big on him. Don't know where he will ultimately play. There is talk of him as a DB.

Their first game is in 2 weeks, right

Is he completely healthy.

I know he missed a lot of summer camps.

I am big on him. Don't know where he will ultimately play. There is talk of him as a DB.

I haven't heard anything about a health problem. Hell I haven't really kept up since he committed.

Pretty sure he stays at WR. He is a hell of a athlete on D as well, but I don't see a need with all the DBs we're getting.

So he did have groin surgery, but he's already competed in 7 on 7 since the surgery. He'll be fine.

Yeah he played with a groin injury last year. Apparently it was still nagging so they decided to go in and fix it. This was not long after he committed in March, and he was already playing football over the summer. He missed The Opening because that was during his six week recovery period apparently.

OB - remaining targets:

A quick position-by-position look at where things stand for Texas in recruiting:

QB

Commitments – 1 (Roschon Johnson)

Needs – None

Nothing to see here. Roschon Johnson has been committed for more than a year, he’s the only quarterback Texas is targeting and Johnson is locked in with his pledge.

RB

Commitments – None

Needs – 1 or 2

On one hand, it would be nice for Texas to have a name on its commitment list, but on the other, the Longhorns do look very good for Rivals250 back Derrian Brown, who got off to a fast start to his senior season last week.

Texas does continue to pursue a couple heavy hitters in guys like Noah Cain and Trey Sanders, and while I expect both to take official visits to UT, I don’t think you can call the Longhorns the current leaders for either guy. If Texas wants to take two backs and does land Brown, the staff may have to look at other options and see how guys perform this fall.

WR

Commitments – 3 (Jake Smith, Jordan Whittington, Demariyon Houston)

Needs – 1 or 2

Recently, Texas missed on top target Dylan Wright, and while that one stings, don’t let it cloud your overall vision of UT’s wide receiver class. This is already a very good three-man group headlined by Jordan Whittington and Jake Smith, and Rivals250 member Demariyon Houston is certainly no slouch. The Longhorns are still in it for guys like Bru McCoy, Elijah Higgins and Marcus Washington. Those may be uphill battles, although it wouldn’t shock me at all to see Texas move up Washington’s list if/when he visits. If those players all fall through, there are still several in-state targets Texas could wind up landing, including current Baylor commit Jaylen Ellis.

TE

Commitments – 2 (Brayden Liebrock, Jared Wiley)

Needs – None

Texas loaded up with two early commitments here and will likely shut it down. Liebrock is a top talent and while Wiley isn’t as highly-rated, he has a lot of upside as he continues to develop.

OL

Commitments – 2 (Tyler Johnson, Javonne Shepherd)

Needs – 1 or 2

Texas has two huge head-to-head wins over schools like Texas A&M and Oklahoma with UT’s current commitments, and the Longhorns are sitting pretty at the tackle position. The coaches have to find an interior lineman or two, but I’m not sure where those come from at this point. I expect Herb Hand to evaluate players both in-state and out-of-state over the next few weeks and it wouldn’t shock me to see several offers go out this fall as Texas looks to fill out it’s OL class.

DL

Commitments – 2 (T’Vondre Sweat, Peter Mpagi)

Needs – 2 or 3

The commitments from Sweat and Mpagi are good in that they’re two players who could really compliment each other with their styles of play. Sweat is more of a known commodity since he was on everyone’s radar from early on, but don’t sleep on Mpagi, who has tons of natural upside and is just starting to scratch the surface of his potential. The Longhorns are still in on several others – including players like JUCO prospect Jacoby Jones and Rivals100 member Marcus Stripling – but Texas has ground to make up there (a lot of ground in the case of Stripling). Hawaiin Faatui Tuitele is a strong candidate to visit at some point, but he may be a tough pull. Taurean Carter is on the radar but he’s a player the staff is continuing to watch. Former Texan Rodas Johnson, who now lives in Ohio, is another name to watch. If Texas can get him back on campus for an official visit, that one could get interesting. Like last year – and similar to the OL this year – this could be a position where Oscar Giles and the rest of the staff sees how some guys develop in the fall.

LB

Commitments – 2 (De’Gabriel Floyd, Marcus Tillman)

Needs - 2

The Longhorns have two out-of-state commitments here and if things go well, it feels like there’s a strong chance they’ll add in-state standout David Gbenda at some point as well. We’ve mentioned it before, but keep an eye on JUCO linebacker Caleb Johnson, who is currently committed to Iowa State. He told me this week he’ll visit Texas the week after his season ends and it won’t be much of a surprise to see the Longhorns surge up his list. Shammond Cooper could be an interesting story – feels like a longshot right now but he’s a teammate of WR Marcus Washington and 2020 standout Mookie Cooper. If Texas can get him and Washington to visit at the same time (maybe Cooper as well), things could get interesting.

DB

Commitments – 3 (Kenyatta Watson, Chris Adimora, Marques Caldwell)

Needs – 2

Texas has a good collection of talent in its first three commitments – players that all bring some versatility – and now will look to close out with a couple more players who can help out on the back end. Jalen Catalon remains a top target and while Texas still looks good there, I’m not sure the Longhorns’ position feels as favorable as it was a couple months ago. Lewis Cine will return this fall for another visit so Texas will have a chance to make a move there, but he could wind up going out of state. Keep an eye on recent offer Tyler Owens. If Texas can land him and Catalon, that would make for a very nice close to the DB class.

2020 standout athlete Mookie Cooper has been a pretty vocal supporter of Texas ever since he visited Austin in mid-June. Cooper will be back in Austin the weekend of September 15, and Texas continues to be a school that’s a major contender for his commitment.

“Texas, I’ll be back on the 15th of September. I’ve been talking to Nebraska a lot, Illinois, Michigan. I plan on going to a couple games, like Texas-USC, probably go to Georgia, going to an Illinois game for sure,” Cooper said. “I don’t have a set list of schools I’m most interested. September 1 is when they can really reach out to us so we’ll see.”

Cooper hasn’t publicly proclaimed the Longhorns as his leader – and he didn’t when I spoke to him this week - but Texas has done a really good job in this one, including the relationship Cooper has built up with Texas Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington.

“First off, Bryan Carrington,” Cooper said when asked what has Texas high on his list. “He’s kind of like coach Cory (Patterson), our old head coach who left (now at Illinois). He’s a really cool dude, I can relate to him. When I got up there, all the coaches, they showed me love. I liked all the facilities. The way they’d use me in their offense. I talked to coach (Drew) Merhringer, they said I’d play kind of an H-back, start out in the slot but also line up in the backfield.”

Cooper’s visit is big in regards to Texas’ chances with the 2020 Rivals250 member, but it could also pay dividends with two of his St. Louis Trinity Catholic teammates, receiver Marcus Washington and linebacker Shammond Cooper.

“I just really liked it when I was down there. The atmosphere, I wanted to come see a game. I’m coming with Marcus Washington and probably Shammond Cooper.

“Me and Marcus, we talk about playing together a lot. I just started talking about it with Shammond. But me and Marcus, we talk about it pretty much daily.”

What are the odds he and Washington play together in college?

“I think it’s a high chance,” Cooper said.

While he doesn’t have an official list of favorites, Cooper said Texas is one of the schools that will be strongly considered.

“The top,” Cooper said when asked where UT fits in the big picture. “I’m not going to say the exact top, but they’re up there.”

Round Rock Cedar Ridge wide receiver Jaylen Ellis has been committed to Baylor for more than 14 months, but he’s kept an open mind with the recruiting process, and Texas is one of the schools showing interest. The Longhorns offered Ellis in late May, and while the contact has been light of late, Ellis said Texas is still in the mix.

The speedy Ellis said he’s “kind of” narrowed his list down, with schools like Michigan, Houston, Arizona, Tennessee and Ohio State catching his attention (in addition to Baylor). As for Texas, the Longhorns are still in the mix, but Ellis said he wants to get back to campus for a visit to get another feel for where things stand with him and the Longhorns.

“They’re still up there. I just feel like I need to get back up there to make sure that’s where I’d want to be,” Ellis said. “Texas is in my backyard, literally. So I can make that trip anytime. I just need to visit again.”

Ellis has taken one official visit to Arizona. He’ll visit Michigan the weekend of September 7. He’s hoping he can get back to the Forty Acres of the USC game on September 15.

“I’ll try to make that for sure. I’ll probably talk to Mehringer tonight,” Ellis said earlier this week. “I talk to him whenever I can. I want to talk to him about where’s my place, talk recruiting, see where things are at with me and them.”

The 6-0, 186-pound Ellis and his Cedar Ridge teammates kick off their 2018 season this week against Temple and current Texas commitment Jared Wiley. Ellis said he’s feeling great heading into his senior season and is expecting things to go well.

“I’m really hyped, just to start off my senior year, a team like that,” Ellis said. “Go against Jared. I’ve talked to him a couple times. Being able to play someone that tough will be good.

“I feel like I’ve gotten a lot better. I’ve noticed it form our scrimmage, feel it’s going to show against a highly-rated corner. I feel like I’ve improved my routes, just being able to create separation easier. When you look at little things, like separation and speed, now I can do it just off a move. Everything has just gotten a little easier. Some may think it’s just because you’re fast, but really it’s repetition, just doing it over and over again. I’ve gotten a lot smoother and a lot faster.”

The Longhorns have two offensive tackle commitments, but Herb Hand and staff continue to look for guys who could possibly help in the interior.

Mission Hills (CA) Bishop Alemany offensive lineman Dohnovan West is a player who had been in contact with the UT staff after Texas watched him at a satellite camp.

“I talked to them after the Cal Lutheran satellite camp a couple times. I haven’t talked with the OL coach in a few weeks though,” West said. “I talked to him about once a week for about a good month or two. I got invited to the night camp that they had but I couldn’t make it out there.”

In his conversations with Hand, West was told he could be a candidate to play on the interior of the Texas line, possibly at center. Hearing that prompted West to work on his snaps.

“He pretty much talked to about just how he would use me at Texas as like a center or guard. He just said to keep working hard throughout the summer,” West said. “I actually started taking snaps at center because that’s what he said I could play at the next level. I got my snaps down, so I can pretty much play any position on the line.”

If Texas does wind up offering, West said the Longhorns would be high on his list, along with schools like Nebraska, Utah and Boise State.

“They’d definitely be one of my top schools if they were to offer, maybe about top three,” West said. “They have a really good football program, good history at the school and the academics are pretty good too. You get the best of all angles.”

West has already taken an official visit to Nebraska. He’ll take one to Utah on October 20. He’s planning to graduate in December so wants to get the rest of his visits in this fall.

As for a possible UT offer, West said he’s unsure, but hopeful one comes his way after the coaches get to evaluate some of his senior film.

“(Hand) wants to see my first couple games. He wanted me to get out to the camp. I wasn’t able to make it, so he just wants to get to know me a little better,” West said.

I know it was last year's recruiting class, but did any of you see the stats that Rondale Moore put up last night for Purdue? 2 carries 79 yards 1 TD, 11 catches 109 yards 1 TD, 5 kick returns for 125 yards. 313 Total yards. Would have been nice to get him on campus.

Not worried at that position at all. D.Jamison and J.Moore were great gets in the slot for that class. And we have 2 more great slots in next year's class: J.Whittington and J.Smith.

Not worried at that position at all. D.Jamison and J.Moore were great gets in the slot for that class. And we have 2 more great slots in next year's class: J.Whittington and J.Smith.
Agreed that we should be okay, but the kid had a heck of 1st collegiate game.

Update on Jordan Whittington. Apparently, he came back too soon from surgery to play in 7 on 7 over the summer. He aggravated the injury and did not play in Cuero's win over Bay City last night.

Nobody is sure when he'll return. One thing is sure, he's learned his lesson, and is not rushing it. Meanwhile, the Cuero coaches say he's been like an extra coach.

Cuwro plays Yoakum next week. That's the big rivalry game. It would kill him to miss that game, but he won't play unless he's 100%. This is the game last year where he stole the show from Yoakum's Moore twins. Despite these two 5-star seniors, Jordan was clearly the best player on the field. His five TDs led Cuero in a 48-13 blowout.

Have no fear. He'll still be on the forty come spring, and he'll be better than ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: freeper
We were there, the kid is special

I don't say this about just anybody, but the way I feel watching this guy, is the same way I felt about Vince. If Cam or Casey struggle at all, Shug will take over as a true freshman.

I don't say this about just anybody, but the way I feel watching this guy, is the same way I felt about Vince. If Cam or Casey struggle at all, Shug will take over as a true freshman.

There’s no doubt. I watched his tape as a Freshman before he moved to Varsity his sophomore season and knew he’d be special. He works out in the gym I go to, he definitely put on some size this offseason. Have you watched in person?

There’s no doubt. I watched his tape as a Freshman before he moved to Varsity his sophomore season and knew he’d be special. He works out in the gym I go to, he definitely put on some size this offseason. Have you watched in person?

No I haven't, but I didn't see Vince in person, either. No need to. With guys like that it's obvious. The only thing I worry about is he tends to throw wounded ducks, but damn they're always on the money.

Any idea if he's gonna be an early enrollee?

No I haven't, but I didn't see Vince in person, either. No need to. With guys like that it's obvious. The only thing I worry about is he tends to throw wounded ducks, but damn they're always on the money.

Any idea if he's gonna be an early enrollee?

Word here is he’s graduating in December and will enroll at UT in the spring.

My take on Shug, he’s not the runner that VY was mainly because VY was 6’5 and ran like a deer. He’s more shifty and elusive in the pocket, more spring in his step. He is light years ahead of VY in the passing game. He always keeps his eyes downfield and has amazing deep throw accuracy. He still has a little hitch in his throwing motion that could be corrected with proper coaching.

The main thing we have to worry about is them running the tires off of him this season. The amount of QB draws is absurd. Keep in mind, this is an unbiased opinion. I’m from Nacogdoches, I married into this whole PNG sh#%.

My take on Shug, he’s not the runner that VY was mainly because VY was 6’5 and ran like a deer. He’s more shifty and elusive in the pocket, more spring in his step. He is light years ahead of VY in the passing game. He always keeps his eyes downfield and has amazing deep throw accuracy. He still has a little hitch in his throwing motion that could be corrected with proper coaching.

The main thing we have to worry about is them running the tires off of him this season. The amount of QB draws is absurd. Keep in mind, this is an unbiased opinion. I’m from Nacogdoches, I married into this whole PNG sh#%.

That hitch may be what's causing the wobble in his passes, but you know what, as long as he's throwing strikes, I don't think I mess with it. Unless of course he's not getting enough velocity on deep outs. Then he needs to get that tight spiral.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT