ADVERTISEMENT

2020 recruiting

Broughton wants to play in a 4-3 and has been convinced that is the best spot for him by other programs. Giles and Orlando need to find a better way to relay their message to him because they are falling behind. They are getting out recruited at the moment.

6-6 maybe worse... If I were TH, aggy would be so easy to pigeon hole. If you want to play for championships.... if you want to go to the Liberty Bowl....
Aha could have that same recruiting pitch. If you want to play 2 meaningful games a year and the rest in front of 40K come to Texas. If you want to play on national TV each week and play with the conference that churns our The most NFL prospects, come join the SEC. I fully understand what you guys might say about hype and such, but it is what it is. Numbers aren’t lying year after year. I will say I think the difference has gotten smaller between conferences.

I'm not saying Broughton did bad. I said that he is a 3 tech and that is a 4-3 DT. He is not a nose tackle nor is he a DE. He wants to be a DE and he is not a DE not now, and not in the future. Octavios is a true nose tackle and that is what we need more than a wanna-be DE like Broughton.

To further my argument look at the build of Broughton, he is 6'5 285 right now. He is not overly fast or overly athletic, he is a guy that has a great frame and will likely develop into a 6'5 315 lb DT. Octavious Ox is 6'2 and 300 lbs That is a good size for a 0 technique, he is low to the ground and extremely hard to root out. He is also a bull and will almost always require a double team.

Now I will also mention Alfred Collins who is a Strong side DE. He is 6'5 247 listing, however he told one of the reporters that he is now up to 280 lbs. I don't know for sure what he weighs but at 247 lbs he was super athletic. If he is 280 lbs and was able to keep his athleticism he is already as big as Olmenihu and a much closer fit to what Texas is looking for as a strong side DE. Collins also has almost no body fat where Broughton does have a little bit of body fat on him.

It's a crap shoot on how these guys are going to develop but I'm comfortable with Texas recruiting if they can close the deal with Ox and Collins. Broughton to me is not a DE and is probably best suited to play 3 tech
I do agree Octavious fits your system better.

Aha could have that same recruiting pitch. If you want to play 2 meaningful games a year and the rest in front of 40K come to Texas. If you want to play on national TV each week and play with the conference that churns our The most NFL prospects, come join the SEC. I fully understand what you guys might say about hype and such, but it is what it is. Numbers aren’t lying year after year. I will say I think the difference has gotten smaller between conferences.

You don't play on TV each week. Your conference has some really bad teams and then there are the high school games.

Do you think you get here?

2019-06-26-112617.png

Or more like this.....

Then why are you having trouble getting them on board? They are not necessary in that conference. TCU usually does fine without them. After you play LSU, who will be motivated, not like Georgia, tell me about how awesome your front is.
So if LSU loses, are they at that point not going to be motivated?
Just because you play Alabama and Georgia and LSU doesn't make them meaningful games...wait I guess getting mudholed does make it memorable at least!

Then why are you having trouble getting them on board? They are not necessary in that conference. TCU usually does fine without them. After you play LSU, who will be motivated, not like Georgia, tell me about how awesome your front is.

Georgia sure did talk like they were motivated before the game. What changed? Their coach said they were motivated, if you can't get up to play the University of Texas then your not very good to begin with.

As for our dline we are extremely deep we will shuffle in about 7 guys and we play a lot of guys close to the line of scrimmage because we know the SEC sucks at passing (Bama not included). Texas will bring serious pressure from different angles and they will completely confuse LSU's line and QB. I expect him to have a day similar to Jake Fromm.

I expect a Texas win in the same fashion they beat Georgia, and once that happens you will likely start with the LSU is overrated

Reactions: freeper

You obviously have not seen UT's TV ratings and average attendance last year.

It's funny that the aggsy/SEC BS hasn't translated to better recruiting in the QB, RB, DB, or linebacker? What gives. I'd say Texas has done much better recruiting offensive line as well. Both have done well recruiting receivers but it's hard not to when there are so many great receivers out there. The two places where aggsy have really out recruited Texas was at TE and Dline, and that is also the place where our two weakest recruiters coach.

It's funny that the aggsy/SEC BS hasn't translated to better recruiting in the QB, RB, DB, or linebacker? What gives. I'd say Texas has done much better recruiting offensive line as well. Both have done well recruiting receivers but it's hard not to when there are so many great receivers out there. The two places where aggsy have really out recruited Texas was at TE and Dline, and that is also the place where our two weakest recruiters coach.

Drayton needs to step it up but the stroke with D. Brown hasn't helped.

"Some facts from 2009-present....in what most will call the worst decade in Texas history...

Sure...

2009-present

Conf Champs
TEX 1
A&M 0

BCS-NY6 Games
TEX 2
A&M 0

FCS Teams played
TEX 0
A&M 10

Wins Against P5
TEX 60
A&M 50

Record Against Top 5
TEX (0.250)
A&M (0.200)

Weeks Ranked Top 5
TEX 22
A&M 21

Avg Recruiting Class
TEX 10.8
A&M 14.3#ThisIsTexas #HookEmhttps://t.co/zt6b54Lh5h

— Kyle Umlang (@KYLEUMLANG) June 25, 2019"

Damn.....if that's not a kick in the nuts I dont know what is. Sticking that little "sec" birdchest out just to get slapped with an open hand to the cheek. Crazy how a decade of TEXAS being called "the worst decade" is just as good as aggy has been the last 70 years or so.

I posted this a while back in a different thread, perhaps you missed it.

I keep seeing this argument made by aggy but no objective evidence. Somehow they have convinced themselves that Texas is having a hard time putting people in the seats and getting eyes on the television. Here is some objective evidence that speaks against this:

Texas ranked 7th overall in home game attendance at 97.7k per game, filling 97.5% of our stadium capacity. A&M ranked 6th with 99.8K, filling 97.1% of their stadium.
https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...s-2018-Ohio-State-Michigan-Alabama-126388217/

Texas played in the 4th most watched regular season or conference champ game in the nation (Big 12 championship game). They played in the 5th most watched bowl game (behind CFP games and Rose Bowl). A&M drew 8 millions less viewers to rank 10th in bowl game viewership.

Through the course of the regular season Texas had ratings of:
UGA (sugar bowl) 13.3 Million viewers
Big 12 Champ 10.3
OU - 5.6
WVU 4.4
OK-St 3.5
USC 3.0
TCU 2.9
TTU 2.6
Baylor 1.8
MD 1.3
KU 1.2
K-state 1.0
Not listed for Tulsa or Iowa State (LHN is not neilsen rated)
Total - 50.9 million TV viewers over 12 games (4.25 million per game)
If you assume 1 million for both LHN games it is still 3.77 million per game.

Texas A&M TV ratings:
Bama 5.6 Million viewers
NC St (gator bowl) 5.1
Clemson 4.5
Aub 2.6
Kentucky 2.5
Miss St 2.2
Miss 2.1
Arkansas 1.6
UAB 0.7
Not Listed for NW State, LA Monroe, South Carolina or LSU (not on neilsen rated channels)
Total - 26.9 million TV viewers over 9 games (3 million per game)
The LSU game probably helps this average with the 7OTs, but the other 3 games probably drop it significantly. If you assume 5 million for LSU, 2 million for SC and 1 million for NW state and LA-Monroe you get 2.76 per game.
https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

We aren't even "back" yet and are still outpacing aggy in viewership by 1 million a game with only 2 thousand less butts in seats.

After the news about the booster and LSU, I'm now hopeful the NCAA will slow their roll. Still, we need to drop a hammer on them even more so than we did on Georgia. We do that and it will definitely set a tone for the rest of the season, and more specifically in recruiting.

And if we do this it will make us 3/0 against the mighty SEC in the last 21 month's. Are you listening Gameday? I doubt it and I will lmao.

I personally want to play in 4 or 5 big games, but that includes Conference championship game and a couple of playoff games. I'm good with everything else.

I know why aggsy want to play in all those big games, it is a built in excuse for losing. They can go 8-4 and tell the world how great they are.

I remember back in 1987 when the aggsy were coming into the season ranked #2 or 3 in the country Their first 4 games were a juggernaut of top 20 teams. Everyone said, if they win those game they deserve to be #1. If I remember right they lost all of them. They still won a watered down conference and pounded their chest. If that happened to Texas, I and most Texas fans would have been pissed. But that is the difference between our two fan bases. Aggsy fans are only happy when they are better than Texas, nothing else matters. Texas is only happy when they are winning big games and championships.

Keep your tough schedule and it's 7-5 results, I'll take my chances with playing in the conference title game with a shot at the playoffs.

I personally want to play in 4 or 5 big games, but that includes Conference championship game and a couple of playoff games. I'm good with everything else.

I know why aggsy want to play in all those big games, it is a built in excuse for losing. They can go 8-4 and tell the world how great they are.

I remember back in 1987 when the aggsy were coming into the season ranked #2 or 3 in the country Their first 4 games were a juggernaut of top 20 teams. Everyone said, if they win those game they deserve to be #1. If I remember right they lost all of them. They still won a watered down conference and pounded their chest. If that happened to Texas, I and most Texas fans would have been pissed. But that is the difference between our two fan bases. Aggsy fans are only happy when they are better than Texas, nothing else matters. Texas is only happy when they are winning big games and championships.

Keep your tough schedule and it's 7-5 results, I'll take my chances with playing in the conference title game with a shot at the playoffs.

However don't forget we went 3/1 against the SEC in bowl games last year. After the Clemson/Bama game Joel Klatt rated the Big XII as the second best conference in the country. And I'm convinced from top to bottom Big XII fb is on the rise.

Just because you play Alabama and Georgia and LSU doesn't make them meaningful games...wait I guess getting mudholed does make it memorable at least!

I will definitely be impressed if you beat LSU, especially if you beat them the way you did Georgia, but the situations ARE different. I also give you tremendous props for beating OU. If we had beaten Georgia like you I would feel like you, but objectively speaking it would be the same for us. When those teams narrowly miss the play off, motivation suffers. They couldn't even get their kids to practice hard that week.

I will definitely be impressed if you beat LSU, especially if you beat them the way you did Georgia, but the situations ARE different. I also give you tremendous props for beating OU. If we had beaten Georgia like you I would feel like you, but objectively speaking it would be the same for us. When those teams narrowly miss the play off, motivation suffers. They couldn't even get their kids to practice hard that week.
That says more about their program, their staff, and their kids. You are playing a NY6 bowl game against one of the premier teams in the country when the entire country is going to be watching and you have to be "motivated"? Give it a break, I get not being motivated for NW LA ST Highschool or what ever FCS A&M and the rest of the SEC plays, but not being motivated to play Texas on New Years Day....not likely. Built in excuse. Going with that sentiment, Clemson wasn't motivated to play you guys in week 2 because they knew that that game didn't matter to play a middle of the road SEC game early in the season. Take that argument somewhere else, it doesn't hold water.

Isn’t this a recruiting thread?
Agreed. Some of these aggy vs Longhorns arguments were off shoots of recruiting talk (pitches to recruits, etc) but we've devolved into just arguing about the schools at this point. We can continue to do so, let's just move it to a different thread.

Reactions: outhereincali
After watching film on the running backs right now Bijan Robinson is making his case that he is the best running back in the country. If not the best player period. Dude is schooling people. This is salt on an open would if he picks someone else.

Was interesting to see Kelee Ringo post on Twitter yesterday a Texas produced graphic of him, Lanthom Ransom, and Bijan Robinson saying that they "need to talk"....could be reading way too much into this but that seems like it can't be a bad thing

it was 1988

Agreed. Some of these aggy vs Longhorns arguments were off shoots of recruiting talk (pitches to recruits, etc) but we've devolved into just arguing about the schools at this point. We can continue to do so, let's just move it to a different thread.

What these aggies don't understand about cow college vs TX in recruiting is that it doesn't matter which team had the better class. That rivalry is no more most aggies don't seem to understand this. They should be asking themselves is can these kids help us beat Bama? Can they get us into the playoffs? Is Jimbo worth $7 million? Personally I don't care if they're ranked higher than us. I'm more concerned if coach Herman's can help us beat OK? Can they help us to win more than 2 Big XII titles?

HookemHorns.

Was interesting to see Kelee Ringo post on Twitter yesterday a Texas produced graphic of him, Lanthom Ransom, and Bijan Robinson saying that they "need to talk"....could be reading way too much into this but that seems like it can't be a bad thing
I would not read anything into it. Just like him releasing a top 5 was pretty meaningless.

When is Ringo taking his official visits? Until then we should know he is going to bounce from favorite to favorite. He has a while before he is going to announce so until then just wait because between now and then there is going to be a lot of rumors floating around.

And don't trust the Texas recruiting guys, they suck at their job's, all of them.

That says more about their program, their staff, and their kids. You are playing a NY6 bowl game against one of the premier teams in the country when the entire country is going to be watching and you have to be "motivated"? Give it a break, I get not being motivated for NW LA ST Highschool or what ever FCS A&M and the rest of the SEC plays, but not being motivated to play Texas on New Years Day....not likely. Built in excuse. Going with that sentiment, Clemson wasn't motivated to play you guys in week 2 because they knew that that game didn't matter to play a middle of the road SEC game early in the season. Take that argument somewhere else, it doesn't hold water.

What?

I'm sure it will go something like this, "LSU was saving themselves for the SEC grind and didn't want to tip their hand before conference starts".

Jahari Rogers has been getting some crystal balls to Florida over the weekend and it looks like we are no longer considered the favorite. Cornerback is not a huge need for us this year but it's another recruitment that seems to have drastically shifted away from Texas. Makes you ask the question, are the reports about Texas leading for these guys false or are they changing their minds for some reason. It feels like there is something going on behind the scenes that is not public and no one is talking about that is steering our top targets away from us.

Or maybe I'm paranoid, but something feels off, we only have 7 commits in July...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT