ADVERTISEMENT

2020 recruiting

Hmmm..... This guy is a stud. I would love for him to play for Texas. I know he wants to play QB, and by his film, he should. Our QB room is going to get crowded again..... I don't see how we keep him and Card. One is going to transfer. Anyway, I can see why he might go elsewhere. I hope he commits and competes. I think he would win out but what do I know.....

Our recruiting is slow because of back to back #3 classes. It will cause some to pause due to perceived playing time.
If Jackson doesn't win the QB job going into his redshirt Freshmen year, I could see him moving to a different position. He could be an NFL talent at a position other than QB. But if he can't beat out the competition at Texas, it's unlikely he would be an NFL QB prospect.

Unless Something has changed in the last few months, Bryant Westbrook is Ringo's DB coach.
Yep, this is the case.

Things were looking pretty solid between Ringo and Texas previously. He spent his entire spring break in Austin and it seemed like a sure deal. But then he visited Georgia and things seemed to swing heavily to the Dawgs. Like I said, I was glad to see him twitting some pro-Texas things this weekend. We gotta get him back on campus in June.

JaQuindon Jackson has pushed back his commitment date from today to June 25. Don't know how that affects our standing with him
Seems that JaQuindon has changed his announcement back to tonight at 6. My guess is that the media that he was going to use weren't originally available and now it is. 6PM tonight

When I watch his highlights, I see Cam Newton. That is how athletic and explosive this kid is. It will be interesting to see how/where he ends up on the field

His size and speed are incredible. 219lbs as a junior and a 4.6 40. He has a cannon arm (remember the Hail Marry vs NS) but more importantly he will have a lot of influence with fellow potential players in the Dallas area and leadership intangibles. Gotta hold onto him. Try to talk him into RS first year..... man our QB room is packed again. Jackson has the best raw talent of the bunch, just sayin. I like all our guys, can we play 2 QB's on the field?

Edit: It was NS that threw the HM, not Ja'Quinden Jackson. He was the MVP in the game, IMO.

Last edited:
2020 Defensive Recruiting: A brief summary of where we stand at each position for the 2020 class

While the offense has landed some great players on the OL and at QB, we have yet to see any defensive players pull the trigger. That said we are in a good position with several players at all levels of the defense.

DT - With the 3 man front Texas often plays, we really just need one true DT each class. Getting a stud at the position each year is ideal but will be a challenge given how few and far between these types of players are

Vernon Broughton - 4 star, #69 in nation - Texas lean
At 6'5, and a lean 285 Broughton already has legit size to hold down the spot. Get him with Yancy and man, he could be a 315 pound statue. There is a lot in our favor in this recruitment currently but others are trying their best to pull Vernon away. He is one of the most important recruits in the class for Texas.
- Recent successful visit to Arkansas and others are pushing hard but Texas does seem to still have the lead here.

Jaquelin Roy - 4 star, #59 in nation - LSU lean
Jacobian Guillory - 4 star, #147 in nation - LSU lean
Both from SE Louisiana, it'll be hard to pull them out of the boot but we have created some in-roads in case Broughton chooses elsewhere.

DE

Jason Harris -
4 star, #1236in nation
Currently 6'7" and only 220 pounds, this guy has a lot of room to grow. He also plays basketball and has great athleticism. Get some weight on him and he could cause tackles a lot of trouble. He is out of Arizona, but Texas continues to have a lot of success out West.

Alfred Collins - 4 star, #212 in nation - Texas lean
Collins, a Texas legacy, is currently quite high on the horns. His mom played basketball for Texas and they live just outside of Austin in Bastrop. TAMU is going after him hard, but Texas is still the likely landing spot.

Princely Umanmielen - 4 star, #248 in nation, Texas lean
Similar to Collins, Princely grew up just outside of Austin in Manor. Texas is considered the favorite right now but other regional schools (OU, TAMU) will be recruiting him hard.

LB - A true insider backer became even more important in this class with DeGabriel Floyd's career being uncertain at this point. Texas needs LBs that can hold up in the run game while also having enough speed to cover all the athletes Big12 offenses will throw at them.

Justin Flowe - 5 star, #3 in nation
One of the most elite recruits in the nation from California. Texas has thrown their hat in the ring and Flowe intends to make his way to Austin for a visit. Get him on campus and see what happens

Sav'ell Smalls - 5 star, #5 in nation
Similar story to Flowe, an elite OOS athlete with legit interest in Texas. He plans to visit and once he does we can really consider Texas as having a legit chance.

Prince Dorbah - 4 star, #107 in nation - Texas lean
Texas sits in a good position with the Highland Park athlete. He would be a great fit in the scheme and Texas would gladly welcome his commitment.

Damien Sellers - 4 star, #118 in nation
Another Arizona player that Texas is pursuing. There is legit mutual interest here.

Josh White - 4 star, #269 in nation - LSU Commit
After visiting LSU, a barrage of crystal balls came through for LSU. That said, White visited the spring game (a bit of a surprise) and plans to return to Austin with his mother. LSU has the lead here but it seems Texas caught White's attention and isn't out of it.

Brennon Scott - 4 star, #342 in nation
Scott seems very open currently. He has a host of top offers at this moment. Texas seems to be in a good spot but it's too early in this recruitment to really name a favorite.

CB - Texas boasts another good DB class but not quite as strong as we have seen in recent years. Texas fortunately, doesn't have as great of a need for DBs this year given recent successes. That said, I think they will look to add several stars at both safety and CB.

Kelee Ringo - 5 star, #9 in nation - Georgia lean?
Ringo is a top national player and the type of CB Texas would love to have. He is from Arizona but has Texas ties in coach Bryant Westbrook. Texas seemed to be in the drivers seat after Kelee spent his entire spring break in Austin but things have swung to Georgia in a big way. Kelee still seems to have Texas interest and is a maybe for a visit in June for the Pool Party. I'd call it quits if he doesn't make it for that visit.

Jalen Kimber - 4 star, #159 in nation - Georgia Commit
Still a ways to go in this one but Georgia seems like the likely spot at this juncture

Dwight McGlothern - 4 star, #170 in nation, TAMU lean
Some of the shine has faded from Dwight's recruitment lately but he still remains a top CB and a great addition wherever he ends up. Some attitude evaluation is needed and will likely determine how aggressive the staff is in pursuing him.

Jahari Rogers - 4 star, #213 in nation - Texas Lean
An CB/Ath prospect and OU legacy, many have thought he was OUs to be had. Texas has done a great job getting in the conversation and nothing is a done deal at this point.
- Texas has made themselves very competitive in this recruitment and may be able to seal the deal

Ryan Watts - 4 star, #287 in nation, OU Commit
Watts recruitment picked up quite a bit this spring. All the regional powers are after him.

Kitan Crawford - 4 star, #298 in nation, Texas Lean?
An athlete who could play WR or CB at the next level but Texas seems to be recruiting him as a CB. He seems high on Texas at this point.

Joshua Eaton - 3 star, #484 in nation
Like Watts, Eaton's recruitment has taken off recently. His ranking probably does not reflect his talent quite yet as all the big schools have come through with offers over the last few months. Texas is in a good position but still a long ways to go.

Safety -
Chris Thompson Jr -
4 star, #65 in nation - Texas lean
Thompson is one of the best safeties in the nation and Texas is in a great spot with the Duncanville player. He would be another top notch safety to add to our defensive backfield that boasts so many top recruits.

Nathan Ransom - 4 star, #72 in nation - Texas lean
Texas jumped in this recruitment more recently and things got real this past weekend with a very successful UOV with Ransom and his dad on campus. Texas seems to have surged into the lead for Ransom who plans to return for an OV later this month.
- An announcement is scheduled to come out today, likely a top schools list.

Bryson Washington - 4 star, #173 in nation - ???
Like Thompson, a very solid safety prospect. I don't have a good read on this recruitment but I do think Texas is still in the thick of it. Landing the above 2 safeties make this recruitment low risk and high reward for Texas.

Xavian Alford - 4 star, #185 in nation - LSU lean
Alford and LSU picked up a lot of momentum recently. He did visit Texas for the Spring Game and seemed to really enjoy the visit. Texas has work to do but will work hard to turn the tide against the tigers.

Darius Snow - 4 star, #265 in nation - Mich St Commit
Similar to McGlothern, it feels like some of the excitement about Snow has faded (or melted). Still a top player and a solid addition but some further eval may be needed for Texas to know how to proceed here.

Reactions: Oldmanastro
Recruiting Class Prediction:

QB
Hudson Card - 4 star, #61 in nation - Texas Commit
Ja'Quinden Jackson - 4 star, #48 in nation - Texas Commit

RB
Bijan Robinson
- 5 star, #25 in nation - Open, Texas lean
Jaden Hullaby
- 3 star, #822 in nation - Texas Commit

Possibilities: Jase Mclellan

WR
Quentin Johnston - 4 star, #60 in nation

Possibilities:
Johnny Wilson - 5 star, #25 in nation - open
Mookie Cooper - 4 star, #66 in nation - Texas De-commit
Troy Omeire - 4 star, #90 in nation - Texas vs TAMU 50/50
Javian Hester - 4 star, #157 in nation
Devon Achane - 4 star, #240 in nation
Kelvontay Dixon - 3 star, #604 in nation - Texas lean

TE
None

OT
Chad Lindberg
- 4 star, #100 in nation - Texas lean
Jaylen Garth
- 4 star, #125 in nation - Texas Commit

OG
Logan Parr - 4 star, #172 in nation - Texas Commit

Center
Jake Majors
- 4 star, #160 in nation - Texas Commit

DT
Vernon Broughton -
4 star, #69 in nation - Texas lean

DE
Alfred Collins -
4 star, #212 in nation - Texas lean
Princely Umanmielen - 4 star, #248 in nation, Texas lean

LB
Prince Dorbah - 4 star, #107 in nation - Texas lean

CB -
Jahari Rogers - 4 star, #213 in nation - Texas Lean
Kitan Crawford - 4 star, #298 in nation, Texas Lean?

Possibilities:
Kelee Ringo - 5 star, #9 in nation - Georgia lean?
Dwight McGlothern - 4 star, #170 in nation, TAMU lean

Safety -
Chris Thompson Jr -
4 star, #65 in nation - Texas lean
Lathan Ransom - 4 star, #72 in nation - Texas lean
Bryson Washington - 4 star, #173 in nation - ???

With these 18 commits, the class would earn 285 points on 24/7 which would historically be a top 5-10 class. If a few big name surprises pop (McClellan, Wilson, Ringo), the class could even pop into the top 3.

We will take more than one linebacker. and I highly doubt we take 3 safties.

I think we end up with 3 linebackers and we stop with Ransom and Thompson at safety.

Our defensive back and linebacker recruiting is at such a high level I think we get get 2 of the 3 top linebacker targes. Justin Flowe, Saville Smalls and Damien Sellers to go with Prince Dorbah. My guess right now would be Flowe and Sellers.

Orlando is elite, the dude can both recruit and coach.

Same with the safety spot, I love Thompson and Ransom.

I'm going to say this. A lot of us wanted Evan not just because he is the best but also because others want to play with him. I think we got our bell cow now in Ja'Quinden Jackson.

I think he is the guy that others are going to follow especially from DFW area. Already we are getting lots of CBs from guys in the DFW area right after his commitment.

People can say what they want about our runningback recruiting and it's probably true, but our QB recruiting has been stellar since Beck was hired. A lot of people have been down on him, but I can't remember a better OC at Texas. Both as a recruiter and a play caller.

We will take more than one linebacker. and I highly doubt we take 3 safties.

I think we end up with 3 linebackers and we stop with Ransom and Thompson at safety.

Our defensive back and linebacker recruiting is at such a high level I think we get get 2 of the 3 top linebacker targes. Justin Flowe, Saville Smalls and Damien Sellers to go with Prince Dorbah. My guess right now would be Flowe and Sellers.

Orlando is elite, the dude can both recruit and coach.

Same with the safety spot, I love Thompson and Ransom.

I'm going to say this. A lot of us wanted Evan not just because he is the best but also because others want to play with him. I think we got our bell cow now in Ja'Quinden Jackson.

I think he is the guy that others are going to follow especially from DFW area. Already we are getting lots of CBs from guys in the DFW area right after his commitment.

People can say what they want about our runningback recruiting and it's probably true, but our QB recruiting has been stellar since Beck was hired. A lot of people have been down on him, but I can't remember a better OC at Texas. Both as a recruiter and a play caller.
I do agree that we will take more than one LB. Just not sure who that is at this point. Gotta got Flowe and Smalls on campus before that becomes a consideration.

I don't think the staff would turn down any of those 3 safeties if they all wanted in.

I do agree that we will take more than one LB. Just not sure who that is at this point. Gotta got Flowe and Smalls on campus before that becomes a consideration.

I don't think the staff would turn down any of those 3 safeties if they all wanted in.

It's fun putting these lists together, but that class we both have put together ain't going to happen, that is a class with 22 4'stars or higher, and 1 3'star. As beautiful as that might be, I don't think I've ever seen a class that stacked.

My class had 5 5'star, 17 4'star and 1 3'star. It's a beautiful dream, but still a dream.

It's fun putting these lists together, but that class we both have put together ain't going to happen, that is a class with 22 4'stars or higher, and 1 3'star. As beautiful as that might be, I don't think I've ever seen a class that stacked.

My class had 5 5'star, 17 4'star and 1 3'star. It's a beautiful dream, but still a dream.
The class I put together has 1 5 star (Bijan), 16 4 stars and 1 3 star in Hullaby. I do think a few other players would be added to fill out the class and those would likely be 3 stars.

I tried to keep my prediction pretty reasonable and only included guys that Texas likely leads for significantly at this time. Sure, all of those may not pan out but I think most would agree that Texas is the likely spot for those I included. Anyone in particular on the list you think ends up elsewhere?

The class I put together has 1 5 star (Bijan), 16 4 stars and 1 3 star in Hullaby. I do think a few other players would be added to fill out the class and those would likely be 3 stars.

I tried to keep my prediction pretty reasonable and only included guys that Texas likely leads for significantly at this time. Sure, all of those may not pan out but I think most would agree that Texas is the likely spot for those I included. Anyone in particular on the list you think ends up elsewhere?

I guess I'm projecting then, my list had 1 3'star, 17 4'star, and 5 5'star. :D.

I cannot help it, I really feel good about our situation with Ringo, Flowe, and Bijan. Wilson just finished his official with Texas and we are in his top 2 along with Oregon. And Seville Smalls talks about us a lot.

We shall see, i never get to excited or too down with how these things work out. I know that to land all those guys we would have to go undefeated and make the playoffs.

I guess I'm projecting then, my list had 1 3'star, 17 4'star, and 5 5'star. :D.

I cannot help it, I really feel good about our situation with Ringo, Flowe, and Bijan. Wilson just finished his official with Texas and we are in his top 2 along with Oregon. And Seville Smalls talks about us a lot.

We shall see, i never get to excited or too down with how these things work out. I know that to land all those guys we would have to go undefeated and make the playoffs.
I did feel great about Ringo previously. Not sure what happened but he seemed to swing to Georgia pretty significantly. I really hope he makes it for the big visit weekend in June.

Gotta get Flowe and Smalls on campus before either of those seem real to me. If it happens, I think we will have a shot.

I think we could snag Wilson, especially selling him on the Collin Johnson role that seems to have him headed for a 1st rd draft selection.

I feel really good about Bijan at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT