ADVERTISEMENT

2020 recruiting

Whips? Not likely. Duncanville ALMOST got them but couldnt outjump their WR at the end.

Both teams should be loaded again but neither will WHIP the other. NS is too good running the ball and on defense to get whipped by anyone.

I can see it being a rematch and maybe going Dvilles way but it will be a battle. Maybe the two best teams in the nation.

Never said whip, but looking again for that rematch

D'ville can match North Shore athlete for athlete. In fact they are almost equal when it comes to 4'star and 5'star athletes on their respective rosters.

Reactions: RoboCocks21
A few more names for this weekend:
2020 Logan Parr - committed and locked in. Always nice to have these guys on campus during a visit to help validate the program from a players perspective.

Texas put out a lot of 2021 offers recently and will get some guys on campus this weekend. In addition to those previously discussed:
QB Jalen Milroe recently picked up an offer and will be by for a visit. Seeing how his recruitment, in tandem with that of Preston Stone's, plays out will be interesting.

LB Reidd Carrico from Ohio. Solid ILB prospect, will be an uphill battle to pull the OOS player but nice to get him on campus.

WR Latrell Neville - one of Texas' top WR targets in the class will be on campus.

TE Lake McRee - the local TE prospect (Lake Travis) will be back on campus. He isn't ranked as of yet but I expect that to change soon. He already has a nice looking offer list and Texas has clearly identified him as a major target at the position

Texas has done well to get an early start on some 2022 guys, perhaps more so than in previous cycles.
We already knew Landon Hullaby (brother of commit Jaden Hullaby) would be on campus but it also looks like stud ILB Jordan Crook will make the trip with his Bishop Dunne teammates as well. He very well could be the top ILB in the class.

Here is the complete list to my knowledge (credit Sirhornsalot on Hornsports.com)
  • ATH Jaden Hullaby – Bishop Dunne HS (Dallas, TX)**
  • OL Logan Parr – O’Connor HS (Helotes, TX)
  • RB Bijan Robinson – Salpointe HS (Tucson, AZ)**
  • DB Bryson Washington – King HS (Cypress, TX)**
  • CB Kitan Crawford – John Tyler HS (Tyler, TX)**
  • CB Kelee Ringo – Saguaro HS (Scottsdale, AZ)
  • WR Johnny Wilson – Calabasas HS (Calabasas, CA)
  • S Xavion Alford – Shadow Creek HS (Houston, TX)
  • CB Jahari Rogers – Arlington HS (Arlington, TX)
  • CB Joshua Eaton – MacArthur HS (Houston, TX)
  • DT Octavious Oxendine – (Radcliffe, KY)
  • OLB Clayton Smith – Texas HS (Texarkana, TX)
  • DE Tunmise Adeleye – Katy Thompkins (Katy, TX)
  • QB Jalen Milroe – Katy Thompkins (Katy, TX)
  • LB/ATH Reid Carrico – (Ironton, OH)
  • WR Latrell Neville – Willowridge HS (Missouri City, TX)
  • TE Lake McRee – Lake Travis HS (Austin, TX)
  • LB Jordan Crook – Bishop Dunne HS (Dallas, TX)
  • S Landon Hullaby – Bishop Dunne HS (Dallas, TX)
Heat wave event seemed to go over nicely this weekend. A commit from Kitan Crawford was a big boost as the first defensive commitment. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jahari Rogers commit soon as well.

A few other players, previously unlisted showed up on campus as well:
2020 OT Courtland Ford visited. He recently decommitted from LSU. Texas hasn't even offered Ford at this point but clearly there is some mutual interest. If we miss on other OTs, he may be a guy to go after.

2020 DE Princely Umanmielen - one of the big 3 DL in state. Great to get him on campus. Texas still battling in this one.

2020 DE Jalen Redding - Texas continues to work on a pipeline to Missouri. Redding isn't as highly ranked as other DE prospects but Texas seems to like him. Perhaps working on the relationship in case we miss on other DEs.

2021 WR Quay Davis made it in. Always nice to get early commits back on campus. Get him recruiting other guys and keep him locked in.

2021 CB Tony Grimes - an elite, 5 star CB from Virginia. Texas seems to have his attention early. Always tough OOS but I'm sure they will do everything they can to get him back to Austin.

2021 OL Deuce Fatherlee - big time OT prospect in a crowded in state class. A&M appears to lead but he's been in Austin several times now.

2021 S JD Coffey - tops at his position in state

2022 RB JD Price was on campus. He is one of 8 to be sophomores to hold a Texas offer

Biggest takeaways from this past weekends recruiting event
- Kitan Crawford commits. The speedy Athlete (plays QB for HS) will add to an already very athletic defensive backfield. He is a speedster - runs a 4.4 - who the staff seems to like a lot. He may need some time to develop since he isn't playing the position for his HS but you can't teach speed.

- Lots of talented players on campus from the 2020, 2021 and 2022 classes. More so than last cycle, Herman and Co seem to be identifying the top in state talent early and building those relationships.

- Positive momentum with several 2020 targets will likely lead to some commitments soon
1. Jahari Rogers, he probably locks up the 2nd CB spot. Not sure if they staff would take a 3rd unless they are named Kelee Ringo
2. Prince Dorbah - highly rated B-backer. Rumored to potentially be a silent commit
3. Bijan Robinson - Texas seems to have weathered the storm of some other visits and got the 5 star RB back on campus this weekend. A host of crystal ball picks went in for him over the weekend right after a Shhhh.... went out from Bryan Carrington. The Shhh is for Bijan or Dorbah supposedly.

- Texas is falling behind on top safety prospect Lathan Ransom. After being in a good spot after his OV, Ransom was in Ohio this weekend and it seems tOSU jumped out front in this recruitment in a big way. Lots of Crystal balls for Ransom including from Texas mod Roach, Arizona expert Angulo and recruiting guru Witfong. It doesn't look good here. Fortunately, we are in a great spot with Chris Thompson who ranks just behind Ransom.

Will share more after I see more post-weekend reports.

Heat wave event seemed to go over nicely this weekend. A commit from Kitan Crawford was a big boost as the first defensive commitment. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jahari Rogers commit soon as well.

A few other players, previously unlisted showed up on campus as well:
2020 OT Courtland Ford visited. He recently decommitted from LSU. Texas hasn't even offered Ford at this point but clearly there is some mutual interest. If we miss on other OTs, he may be a guy to go after.

2020 DE Princely Umanmielen - one of the big 3 DL in state. Great to get him on campus. Texas still battling in this one.

2020 DE Jalen Redding - Texas continues to work on a pipeline to Missouri. Redding isn't as highly ranked as other DE prospects but Texas seems to like him. Perhaps working on the relationship in case we miss on other DEs.

2021 WR Quay Davis made it in. Always nice to get early commits back on campus. Get him recruiting other guys and keep him locked in.

2021 CB Tony Grimes - an elite, 5 star CB from Virginia. Texas seems to have his attention early. Always tough OOS but I'm sure they will do everything they can to get him back to Austin.

2021 OL Deuce Fatherlee - big time OT prospect in a crowded in state class. A&M appears to lead but he's been in Austin several times now.

2021 S JD Coffey - tops at his position in state

2022 RB JD Price was on campus. He is one of 8 to be sophomores to hold a Texas offer
Worth replying to add that 2021 OT Savion Byrd visited as well. The duncanville tackle will be battling it out with Tommy Brockermeyer for top tackle in the state. Both are currently ranked as top 10 national players overall and Texas is in the drivers seat in both recruitments.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I spent the weekend hiding from the nutjob tourists that invaded new braunfels---- and I decided to binge search how our recruiting is going vs other schools.

Is it just me or are we not doing so hot for 2020?

I spent the weekend hiding from the nutjob tourists that invaded new braunfels---- and I decided to binge search how our recruiting is going vs other schools.

Not too many committed but in a really good spot for lots of great players. We are short on quantity but with the 7 commits we have, we are second in average player ranking.

These are guys that we are consensus leaders for (maybe not Broughton) and all are top 250 players if not considerably higher.
RB - Bijan Robinson 5 star
WR - Quentin Johnston high 4 star
OT- Chad Lindberg high 4 star
DT - Vernon Broughton high 4 star
DE - Alfred Collins high 4 star
- Princely Umanmeilen 4 star
LB - Prince Dorbah high 4 star
CB - Jahari Rogers high 4 star
S - Chris Thompson Jr high 4 star

We need to seal the deal with these guys but once they are on board we will be in a great spot.

It's hard to tell without knowing how hard Herman is pushing for commitments. Seems like the guys at the top of our board are taking their time and taking all their visits before deciding.

Not too many committed but in a really good spot for lots of great players. We are short on quantity but with the 7 commits we have, we are second in average player ranking.

These are guys that we are consensus leaders for (maybe not Broughton) and all are top 250 players if not considerably higher.
RB - Bijan Robinson 5 star
WR - Quentin Johnston high 4 star
OT- Chad Lindberg high 4 star
DT - Vernon Broughton high 4 star
DE - Alfred Collins high 4 star
- Princely Umanmeilen 4 star
LB - Prince Dorbah high 4 star
CB - Jahari Rogers high 4 star
S - Chris Thompson Jr high 4 star

We need to seal the deal with these guys but once they are on board we will be in a great spot.

I'm feeling less confident about Chad Lindberg, he seems to be looking more out of state now. Also not confident about Broughton or Umanmeilen, those two are looking more aggsy now. I feel good about the rest which would give us 13 4-5'star guys.

I think we only take 4 offensive linemen in this class and take 5 in the next class which is top heavy with some great players. My new #1 dlinemen is Collins who I now feel is the biggest get for us on the dline. He looks like a more advanced version of Charles Omenihu. Incredible athlete who is already 280 lbs.

I'm feeling less confident about Chad Lindberg, he seems to be looking more out of state now. Also not confident about Broughton or Umanmeilen, those two are looking more aggsy now. I feel good about the rest which would give us 13 4-5'star guys.

I think we only take 4 offensive linemen in this class and take 5 in the next class which is top heavy with some great players. My new #1 dlinemen is Collins who I now feel is the biggest get for us on the dline. He looks like a more advanced version of Charles Omenihu. Incredible athlete who is already 280 lbs.
Lindberg has been making the rounds, is a cause for concern for sure (similar to the Brockermeyers). One of the aggy mods did write today that after the Lindberg OV to TAMU he thought he would land at Texas. That says a lot to me.

Worried about Broughton and Umanmielen. Sucks because I thought we were in a great spot early. Still hopeful we land at least one of the two. Collins has gone back and forth a bit but we seem to be in a good spot there.

After the news about the booster and LSU, I'm now hopeful the NCAA will slow their roll. Still, we need to drop a hammer on them even more so than we did on Georgia. We do that and it will definitely set a tone for the rest of the season, and more specifically in recruiting.

Reactions: freeper
Lindberg has been making the rounds, is a cause for concern for sure (similar to the Brockermeyers). One of the aggy mods did write today that after the Lindberg OV to TAMU he thought he would land at Texas. That says a lot to me.

Worried about Broughton and Umanmielen. Sucks because I thought we were in a great spot early. Still hopeful we land at least one of the two. Collins has gone back and forth a bit but we seem to be in a good spot there.

Dline and RB are the two positions we can't seem to win big recruiting battles in. I think it has to do with scheme and how these two positions are used. No big time Dlineman wants to eat up blocks all game and no big time RB wants his goal line carries poached by the QB. It's too easy for other teams to negative recruit us at those positions.

Your conference produces few NFL Dlinemen and they aren't required to stop pass happy offenses. Seems a difficult stigma to have and stock pile that kind of kid.

Big 12 offenses are much closer to what you will see in the NFL than those in the SEC. I haven't seen a single SEC offense that could hang with a Big 12 offense were it not for the superior athletes that most SEC teams have. Watching Georgia's offense was like watching a high school offense with NFL level players.

With that said, Dbs would be crazy to pick an SEC team over Texas and Oklahoma simply because they face offenses every week that will better prepare them for what they will see in the NFL.

Just read where Kelee Ringo out of Arizona just ran a 4.35 and 4.36 40 at the Rivals Challenge. I can't say for certain, but I would assume those are laser timed. Incredibly impressive especially considering he is 16 years old currently!

Reactions: LonghornMM
Your conference produces few NFL Dlinemen and they aren't required to stop pass happy offenses. Seems a difficult stigma to have and stock pile that kind of kid.

Yep, we'll have trouble until we put more DL in the NFL, or get a lights out recruiter at the position.

Tom Herman has been at Texas for 2 seasons, in that time I can't think of a single time our dline has gotten pushed around. Our coaches know how to coach and develop quality dlinemen. It's on them if they can't see that. Aggsy get pushed around about 4 times a year, usually more. And dlinemen are going there? For what? To play in the SEC, and get their shit pushed in on a regular basis.

I've said this before. Broughton's recruitment changed the moment he started working with FWK.

Tom Herman has been at Texas for 2 seasons, in that time I can't think of a single time our dline has gotten pushed around. Our coaches know how to coach and develop quality dlinemen. It's on them if they can't see that. Aggsy get pushed around about 4 times a year, usually more. And dlinemen are going there? For what? To play in the SEC, and get their shit pushed in on a regular basis.

I've said this before. Broughton's recruitment changed the moment he started working with FWK.
Everything that I have seen put out by his mother is all Texas. And from everyone who I have talked to that does any recruiting, 90% of the time if you get mom on board the son follows. At this point, I would shocked to see him end up somewhere else.

Everything that I have seen put out by his mother is all Texas. And from everyone who I have talked to that does any recruiting, 90% of the time if you get mom on board the son follows. At this point, I would shocked to see him end up somewhere else.
I will say his mom posts a lot of positive things about each school he visits, but I agree, she does seem at least somewhat pro Texas.

Poona Ford had a great year in Seattle. Tough, because he wasn't drafted and isn't getting paid which recruits like to see.

Omenihu getting drafted helps though he wasn't super high. Hopefully Chris Nelson is another guy the staff can point to soon as a successful D-linemen.

Reactions: outhereincali

Under Sumlin you could say that and be 100% right. Last year was not the case. They were great at stopping the run and didn’t get pushed around.

Reactions: Gpagncs
Under Sumlin you could say that and be 100% right. Last year was not the case. They were great at stopping the run and didn’t get pushed around.

aggy will be lucky to win 6 this year.

Tx St ~ Win
Clemp ~ Loss
Lamar ~ Win
Auburn ~ Toss up but prolly loss. History indicates season killer here.
Piggy ~ Win but upsets happen after hard losses.
bama ~ mud hole
piss ~ toss up
Ms St ~ loss
UTSA ~ win
SC ~ toss up but prolly a win
jawja ~ November collapse in full swing, mud hole
bayou ~ loss maybe mud hole for last year

6-6

aggy will be lucky to win 6 this year.

Tx St ~ Win
Clemp ~ Loss
Lamar ~ Win
Auburn ~ Toss up but prolly loss. History indicates season killer here.
Piggy ~ Win but upsets happen after hard losses.
bama ~ mud hole
piss ~ toss up
Ms St ~ loss
UTSA ~ win
SC ~ toss up but prolly a win
jawja ~ November collapse in full swing, mud hole
bayou ~ loss maybe mud hole for last year

6-6
I’ve said year 3 is where I would expect huge gains once Jimbo got HIS players here. They will be better than 6-6. Point was they got better in the trenches than they were. They are coached better than they were. I see 8-4 and maybe 9-3 if they can get one of the big 4. They just got better stopping the run and that was a huge improvement from Sumlin years. Have to win in trenches in SEC.

I’ve said year 3 is where I would expect huge gains once Jimbo got HIS players here. They will be better than 6-6. Point was they got better in the trenches than they were. They are coached better than they were. I see 8-4 and maybe 9-3 if they can get one of the big 4. They just got better stopping the run and that was a huge improvement from Sumlin years. Have to win in trenches in SEC.

Year 2 is usually where coaches succeed or fail. By your standard, 8-4 is the expectation. With Mond as your qb, it's going to be difficult.

Big picture: Tech looks to be sliding into the #2 spot in Texas. Their recent basketball, baseball, and track success eclipses anything aggy has ever done. If aggy spends 100's of millions to get to the liberty bowl, the coming meltdown will be catastrophic. I think the struggle for #2 began about 15 years ago and tech is clearly ahead at this point.

Reactions: outhereincali
Year 2 is usually where coaches succeed or fail. By your standard, 8-4 is the expectation. With Mond as your qb, it's going to be difficult.

Big picture: Tech looks to be sliding into the #2 spot in Texas. Their recent basketball, baseball, and track success eclipses anything aggy has ever done. If aggy spends 100's of millions to get to the liberty bowl, the coming meltdown will be catastrophic. I think the struggle for #2 began about 15 years ago and tech is clearly ahead at this point.
I will agree with Mond. He is the reason we gave away a couple of games single handily. I just don’t think you can judge Fisher off Sumlins recruits. I think A&M has a good one in Calzada and I think even better news is happening later this week.
Tech has done well in baseball especially. Basketball we will see if 1 year translates to much more. Football they have been bad for a while.

A few highlights of 5 star challenge. A few guys here looking at both schools. Didn’t see it posted but ignore if it was. OL vs DL

After watching that 5'star challenge video, I'm a lot less concerned about getting or not getting Broughton. He is no DE and now that I've seen his body type he is much better suited to play a 3 tech than a 1 or 5 tech. I also came away really wanting us to get Octavious Oxindine (not sure on spelling), that kids is exactly what you are looking for in a 1 or 0 technique. He is a pocket crusher. He has the perfect body frame to play in the middle and do major damage.

I don't care where these two kids are ranked, Ox is a better fit for Texas than Broughton is.

Octavios is a pocket pusher for sure but Broughton didn’t do bad at all in his 2 plays he got to the quarterback. Maybe that is said because he has backed off Texas a bit, but he didn’t look bad at all. Roy was D-Line MVP and Raikes defensive MVP. I’m not quite sure how that worked, but those are awards they won.

Last edited:
Texas has pumped out badass DL literally year after year in the Big 12:

Hampton
Rodgers
Brian Robinson
Crowder
Okam
Orakpo
Lokey
Miller
Melton
Kindle
Lamar Houston
Acho
K. Randall
Alex Okafor
Whaley
Jeffcoat
Reed
Desmond Jackson
Malcom Brown
Ridgeway
Poona
Omenihu

Octavios is a pocket pusher for sure but Broughton didn’t do bad at all in his 2 plays he got to the quarterback. Maybe that is said because he has backed off Texas a bit, but he didn’t look bad at all. Roy was D-Line MVP and Raikes defensive MVP. I’m not quite sure how that worked, but those are awards they won.

I'm not saying Broughton did bad. I said that he is a 3 tech and that is a 4-3 DT. He is not a nose tackle nor is he a DE. He wants to be a DE and he is not a DE not now, and not in the future. Octavios is a true nose tackle and that is what we need more than a wanna-be DE like Broughton.

To further my argument look at the build of Broughton, he is 6'5 285 right now. He is not overly fast or overly athletic, he is a guy that has a great frame and will likely develop into a 6'5 315 lb DT. Octavious Ox is 6'2 and 300 lbs That is a good size for a 0 technique, he is low to the ground and extremely hard to root out. He is also a bull and will almost always require a double team.

Now I will also mention Alfred Collins who is a Strong side DE. He is 6'5 247 listing, however he told one of the reporters that he is now up to 280 lbs. I don't know for sure what he weighs but at 247 lbs he was super athletic. If he is 280 lbs and was able to keep his athleticism he is already as big as Olmenihu and a much closer fit to what Texas is looking for as a strong side DE. Collins also has almost no body fat where Broughton does have a little bit of body fat on him.

It's a crap shoot on how these guys are going to develop but I'm comfortable with Texas recruiting if they can close the deal with Ox and Collins. Broughton to me is not a DE and is probably best suited to play 3 tech

Reactions: 2300 Nueces
I will agree with Mond. He is the reason we gave away a couple of games single handily. I just don’t think you can judge Fisher off Sumlins recruits. I think A&M has a good one in Calzada and I think even better news is happening later this week.
Tech has done well in baseball especially. Basketball we will see if 1 year translates to much more. Football they have been bad for a while.

Is making the final 8 good in basketball? Asking for a friend.

How was Breese not the MVP? He looked unstoppable.

Texas has pumped out badass DL literally year after year in the Big 12:

Hampton
Rodgers
Brian Robinson
Crowder
Okam
Orakpo
Lokey
Miller
Melton
Kindle
Lamar Houston
Acho
K. Randall
Alex Okafor
Whaley
Jeffcoat
Reed
Desmond Jackson
Malcom Brown
Ridgeway
Poona
Omenihu
Then why are you having trouble getting them on board? They are not necessary in that conference. TCU usually does fine without them. After you play LSU, who will be motivated, not like Georgia, tell me about how awesome your front is.

Then why are you having trouble getting them on board? They are not necessary in that conference. TCU usually does fine without them. After you play LSU, who will be motivated, not like Georgia, tell me about how awesome your front is.

6-6 maybe worse... If I were TH, aggy would be so easy to pigeon hole. If you want to play for championships.... if you want to go to the Liberty Bowl....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT