ADVERTISEMENT

2020 recruiting

Interesting development with TE recruitment. JUCO TE, DeShawn Hanika is on campus this weekend. Looks like he was mostly a basketball recruit in HS but did play WR for the football team as well. He had a bad knee injury in the summer after graduating the put him on the shelf in the fall while rehabbing. He joined Butler CC as a TE in the spring and went through all of spring practice. He is an immediate qualifier, meaning he could sign with a 4 year school and start playing immediately - with 4 years of eligibility left.

Here are his HS WR highlights. I particularly like to see his willingness to block. He isn't the fastest or shiftiest WR but would be a very athletic TE.

More about his injury and background:
https://www.cjonline.com/sports/201...age-former-hayden-star-deshawn-hanikas-spirit

Missing out on both Demas and Omeire stings a bit. That said, WR is probably the easiest position to recruit these days.

I don't think it will be a stellar WR class for us this year, unless 5 star Johnny Wilson picks us over Oregon (Oregon probably favored right now). Quentin Johnson is the mostly likely stud to head to Austin at this point - aggy was very upset when they realized he is now ranked above Omeire (BOMC, of course). We will probably partner him with a nice slot WR like Cooper, Achane or Hester and then maybe one other WR.
Omeire is overrated. Many a Texas recruitik just let out a sigh of relief.

WR is the last spot I'm worried about, we only have a couple slots open and I'm sure we are going to find someone to fill them that will compete at a high level.

Interesting development with TE recruitment. JUCO TE, DeShawn Hanika is on campus this weekend. Looks like he was mostly a basketball recruit in HS but did play WR for the football team as well. He had a bad knee injury in the summer after graduating the put him on the shelf in the fall while rehabbing. He joined Butler CC as a TE in the spring and went through all of spring practice. He is an immediate qualifier, meaning he could sign with a 4 year school and start playing immediately - with 4 years of eligibility left.

Here are his HS WR highlights. I particularly like to see his willingness to block. He isn't the fastest or shiftiest WR but would be a very athletic TE.

More about his injury and background:
https://www.cjonline.com/sports/201...age-former-hayden-star-deshawn-hanikas-spirit
Sharing from another board, but looks like he has some good measurables as well. Could fit TE role depending on how much bulk he carries, or honestly, the LJH position.

DeShaun Hanika (2019) Juco TE visiting this week, full qualifier with 4 years to play.
H: 6'5" W 215
40 time: 4.7
Shuttle: 4.46
Vertical 31

measurables are terrible for a TE. especially one that is about 20 years old. Keep in mind that between 18 and 20 years the body goes through a hardening process that naturally adds about 10 to 15 lbs in bone and muscle density. This means that at most he is going to get to 230 or 240 lbs if he can really hit the weights hard over the next 4 years. To me this would be a waste of a scholarship. Maybe offer as a PWO, but I can't see him being an effective TE on a major college program.

measurables are terrible for a TE. especially one that is about 20 years old. Keep in mind that between 18 and 20 years the body goes through a hardening process that naturally adds about 10 to 15 lbs in bone and muscle density. This means that at most he is going to get to 230 or 240 lbs if he can really hit the weights hard over the next 4 years. To me this would be a waste of a scholarship. Maybe offer as a PWO, but I can't see him being an effective TE on a major college program.

Omeire's measurables from the Opening-

H: 6' 3.5" W: 217
40 time 4.69
Shuttle: 4.37
Vertical 32.5

This is 1 year out of high school, with the fall spent rehabbing a knee injury and the spring at a JUCO. Curious to see where he would land after a year with McKnight and a big time program nutritionist. If he lands around 240, I could see him more as a Jermichael Finley type - athletic TE/WR. If he gets around 260, more of a blocker lined up off tackle.

Either way, in a year where we don't have much traction at TE, I like that the staff is looking far and wide for a guy who might have a payoff down the road.

^^^

Add to that he was a basketball kid with a single year of football played.

^^^

Add to that he was a basketball kid with a single year of football played.
All that to say, he camped at Texas today but I have not seen any report of an offer. A name to file away that we could see resurface if an offer comes.

All that to say, he camped at Texas today but I have not seen any report of an offer. A name to file away that we could see resurface if an offer comes.
He included the Shhh emoji in his last tweet about his visit.

It is really easy for a male to add fat free mass (muscle, bone, connective tissue) from the beginning of the adolescent growth spurt until somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 years. Most high school kids have no idea how much to eat, what to eat, or what to do in the weight room. It's not uncommon for kids to add 20 lbs of FFM in a short period of time just because they change their diet habits and up the weekly tonnage. How much will vary depending on the kid and the structure of the body. Not an exact sciene but if you measure the distance between the acromion process (shoulders) and the greater trochanter (hips) you can get a pretty good idea of how much muscle a kid can pack on. Its not hard to take 6'5" 215 to 6'5" 250 if the kid has the body type and work ethic.

Who is this dude and why does he need a hype video to tel us he's coming to Texas. Wouldn't a phone call have worked just as well?

Who is this dude and why does he need a hype video to tel us he's coming to Texas. Wouldn't a phone call have worked just as well?

Yeah, it's why I've always loved the story years back of QB Jake Locker "announcing" he would return for his senior year at Washington. No big press conference, no live coverage on ESPN. Nope, he walked into the head coach's office with his 7 month old chocolate lab pup and told the HC and OC he was staying.

I mean, I get it, these young kids want their moment in the spotlight. But it's getting ridiculous.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Yeah, it's why I've always loved the story years back of QB Jake Locker "announcing" he would return for his senior year at Washington. No big press conference, no live coverage on ESPN. Nope, he walked into the head coach's office with his 7 month old chocolate lab pup and told the HC and OC he was staying.

I mean, I get it, these young kids want their moment in the spotlight. But it's getting ridiculous.
Funny thing about spotlights, earning them tends to keep them around longer.

Funny thing about spotlights, earning them tends to keep them around longer.
FWIW, as a high school player, I believe he has earned the spotlight. I think more and more of these are to get other players on board with you.

FWIW, as a high school player, I believe he has earned the spotlight. I think more and more of these are to get other players on board with you.

And he is. This appears to be a big deal. He knows a lot of the guys in DFW. He is the QB on the best team in N Texas.

He’s the only dude that destroyed Allen and North Shore needed a hail mary as the clock expired to beat. He is the prototype DT QB for Urban's offense but with a arm than Braxton or Barrett. Might want to mute the commentator-

You obviously don’t follow recruiting that closely as hype/commit videos have been a thing for a few years now.

Last edited:
There are rumors floating around different boards that the North Shore vs. Duncanville State Title game created some lasting rivalries between the players. The North Shore players decided that they wouldn't commit to a college that the Duncanville players committed to, or vise versa. Evans is from North Shore and Jackson is from Duncanville. Evans took Texas out of his top five around the same time Jackson committed. Coincidence? Probably.

I'm with you. I absolutely love big RB's like Derrick Henry. The best HS running back I've ever seen in person was Leeland McElroy. That dude had that "electric", hold your breath thing about him. He could take it to the house in a millisecond and was a game changer.
I'll take Eric Dickerson

Check out this DE we just offered after he worked out at the Camp this weekend.

He's got a really nice build for a strong side DE. I still feel pretty good about Collins and Princely but their is definitely some strong competition for them (aggy) so he would be a nice pick up if we miss on either of them.

https://247sports.com/Player/Van-Fillinger-46056161/

There are rumors floating around different boards that the North Shore vs. Duncanville State Title game created some lasting rivalries between the players. The North Shore players decided that they wouldn't commit to a college that the Duncanville players committed to, or vise versa. Evans is from North Shore and Jackson is from Duncanville. Evans took Texas out of his top five around the same time Jackson committed. Coincidence? Probably.
That's pretty sad if its the case. Duncanville was the slightly better team and North Shore made the luck play at the end. It reminded me of a Longview Plano quarter final or state semifinal playoff game where Longview had Plano in a 4th and 17 last play of the game and the Longview kid instead of knocking the ball down tried to catch it and the Plano kid grabbed it just before they came down and they ruled duel possession and Plano won the game. That game was for the state title....

Is that like Steve Owens going to OU after someone turned the tower orange for Austin Reagan's state championship?

"There are rumors floating around different boards that the North Shore vs. Duncanville State Title game created some lasting rivalries between the players. The North Shore players decided that they wouldn't commit to a college that the Duncanville players committed to, or vise versa. Evans is from North Shore and Jackson is from Duncanville. Evans took Texas out of his top five around the same time Jackson committed. Coincidence? Probably"

Man this EXACT same thing happened in Midland/Odessa a few years back.....some decent wideout from Permian and this pretty good running back from Midland Lee were pretty big "Rivals".....they hated each other and this book "Friday night lights" just put the spotlight on these two teams who hate each other with a passion......anyway long story short......Roy Williams and Cedric Benson had pretty good college careers at THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS......being high school rivals to college teammates
...coincidence.....maybe

Reactions: LonghornMM
As of right now, I'd rather have the D'ville guys. Evans is a prize, but D'ville gives us JQJ, Chris Thompson and possibly Savion Byrd in 2021. The only guys I really want from North Shore is Evans.

As of right now, I'd rather have the D'ville guys. Evans is a prize, but D'ville gives us JQJ, Chris Thompson and possibly Savion Byrd in 2021. The only guys I really want from North Shore is Evans.

Shows that you know nothing about the talent at NS. They are loaded with D1 talent.

Shows that you know nothing about the talent at NS. They are loaded with D1 talent.
I know they are loaded with talent, but who of that group has even shown a bit of interest in Texas at this point? Thats a legit question because I don't know. All I knew about that were showing interest in Texas were Evans and George

I know they are loaded with talent, but who of that group has even shown a bit of interest in Texas at this point? Thats a legit question because I don't know. All I knew about that were showing interest in Texas were Evans and George
Shadrach Banks in the 2021 class but he already dropped a top 10 and excluded us

Supposedly a 5 star RB who is committed to our rival to the north will be taking an OV this weekend. There have been whispers that he was looking around and if he gets on campus things could get serious.

Sorry MM but a bird in the hand. The NS kids are not looking at Texas, we have D'ville right now and that is 2 very high 4'star guys and a possible 5'star Tackle next year. Outside of Evans who else measures up to what D'ville is possibly offering us?

D'ville is just as talented as NS and they don't have a collective pole up their butts.

Big recruiting weekends coming up:

June 14th weekend
Lathan Ransom returns for his official visit just two weeks at an unofficial that really caught his eye. This will be his 4th official (LSU, OU, ND) and will be followed by an Ohio State visit the following weekend. I'd expect him to shut it down shortly after finishing his visits. If Texas makes another good impression this weekend they have a legit shot at the 4th best safety in the nation.

As previously alluded to, Jase McClellan plans to be on campus this weekend. This has been the worst kept secret this past week. He committed to OU very early but has continued to have a pretty open recruitment and I think has some issues with OUs RB recruiting. I'm not sure about all the dynamics there, or how they play into dynamics at Texas (with us a favorite for 5 star Bijan Robinson). Jase and Bijan are ranked 22 and 23 in the nation so from that standpoint are pretty much equal as recruits. Both would be nice but if that's not possible I'm not sure which I prefer.

Prince Dorbah, whose recruiting ranking just jumped up over 100 spots, will also be on campus this weekend for what I believe will be his official. He has been high on Texas since the start and it would be great if we could get him to shut it down. He would be a great get at the OLB position and a good fit for our scheme.

Hudson Card will also be on campus for a visit. It's great to have a near 5 star on-campus to help recruit these guys. With a small weekend, the staff will have a lot of opportunities to spend time with each guy in particular.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT