ADVERTISEMENT

2020 recruiting

George has 26 offers. He may not be starting as a Freshman but he has the frame and feet to be a starting D1 RT.

Yeah, I don't think these visit numbers are correct. He has been at UT a lot. The aggy boards always complain about him no-showing to their events so I doubt that number 6 is correct.
Well, so much for the Ag theory that 247 has a pro-Longhorn, anti-Aggie bias.

George has 26 offers. He may not be starting as a Freshman but he has the frame and feet to be a starting D1 RT.

Number of offers proves nothing. 6'7" 370 is gonna get you some offers no matter what. Even with that size, however, it's more likely most of those offers are a direct result of being tied to the #1 recruit in the nation as a package deal. I mean damn, If Evans came out and said he would only sign with a school if they signed Napoleon Dynamite, Napoleon would get some offers.

Number of offers proves nothing. 6'7" 370 is gonna get you some offers no matter what. Even with that size, however, it's more likely most of those offers are a direct result of being tied to the #1 recruit in the nation as a package deal. I mean damn, If Evans came out and said he would only sign with a school if they signed Napoleon Dynamite, Napoleon would get some offers.
Understood. However this kid ends up playing D1 at 6’7 and 335. He will develop with weight and conditioning training. The reason for saying this is the feet. His film shows D1 feet EVEN with his extra rotunda figure.

Yes he has a lot of work to do but he is no Napoleon. Heck, he is even more of a prospect than Uncle Rico.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Patience is the name of the game for 2020 recruiting

Texas fans had plenty to be excited about when Herman and Co locked up one of the nations best QBs in Hudson Card and a trio of high level offensive linemen to protect him (Parr, Majors, Garth) but things have cooled off significantly in regards to securing commitments for the 2020 class. Should Texas fans be worried? No, just patient.

While Texas has missed out on a few high profile targets (Demond Demas, Jaylon Jones, Jalen Kimber), the majority of their top choices remain on the board and Texas sits in good position with many of them.

Top prospects Texas is in good position for:
QB Ja'Quinden Jackson (complicated based on position but Texas probably leads)
RB Zachary Evans (hard to get a good read, but still in it)
WR Mookie Cooper (decommitted from Texas, but still interested)
WR Troy Omeire (Texas vs ATM here)
OT Chad Lindberg (Texas with strong lead)
DE Alfred Collins (Texas leads)
DE Princely Umanmielen (Texas leads)
DT Vernon Broughton (Texas leads)
OLB Prince Dorbah (Texas leads)
CB Kelee Ringo (Texas Leads)
S Chris Thompson (Texas Leads)
S Bryson Washington (Texas Leads)

While it remains to be seen how all of these recruitments (and others) play out, Texas has to feel good about their position across the board. Fans, and I'm sure the coaching staff, will feel more comfortable once some of these Texas leans decide to verbally commit but until then we must wait. Eric Nahlin with Inside Texas thinks that June and July will be big months for the Horns as many of these top players hope to wrap up their recruitments before their senior years. A big recruiting weekend is also in the works for June 22nd, so we may see a few dominoes fall at that time. Until then, we wait and hope the Crystal Balls are working.

Patience is the name of the game for 2020 recruiting

Texas fans had plenty to be excited about when Herman and Co locked up one of the nations best QBs in Hudson Card and a trio of high level offensive linemen to protect him (Parr, Majors, Garth) but things have cooled off significantly in regards to securing commitments for the 2020 class. Should Texas fans be worried? No, just patient.

While Texas has missed out on a few high profile targets (Demond Demas, Jaylon Jones, Jalen Kimber), the majority of their top choices remain on the board and Texas sits in good position with many of them.

Top prospects Texas is in good position for:
QB Ja'Quinden Jackson (complicated based on position but Texas probably leads)
RB Zachary Evans (hard to get a good read, but still in it)
WR Mookie Cooper (decommitted from Texas, but still interested)
WR Troy Omeire (Texas vs ATM here)
OT Chad Lindberg (Texas with strong lead)
DE Alfred Collins (Texas leads)
DE Princely Umanmielen (Texas leads)
DT Vernon Broughton (Texas leads)
OLB Prince Dorbah (Texas leads)
CB Kelee Ringo (Texas Leads)
S Chris Thompson (Texas Leads)
S Bryson Washington (Texas Leads)

While it remains to be seen how all of these recruitments (and others) play out, Texas has to feel good about their position across the board. Fans, and I'm sure the coaching staff, will feel more comfortable once some of these Texas leans decide to verbally commit but until then we must wait. Eric Nahlin with Inside Texas thinks that June and July will be big months for the Horns as many of these top players hope to wrap up their recruitments before their senior years. A big recruiting weekend is also in the works for June 22nd, so we may see a few dominoes fall at that time. Until then, we wait and hope the Crystal Balls are working.

Even if we get that whole list of guys, we will still likely have 5 slots available to fill. We will need 2 more linebackers, one more corner, and two more guys.

Even if we get that whole list of guys, we will still likely have 5 slots available to fill. We will need 2 more linebackers, one more corner, and two more guys.
Yes, this definitely wasn't a complete list of who I think ends up in the class, just who I feel best about of the big names.

I do think we take 1 more RB - Ty Jordan, Tahj Brooks type.
1 more WR (3 total) - Devon Achane, Quentin Johnson
Maybe a TE - Jalin Conyers
Damieon George to finish off the O-line
LBs - Brennon Scott (Justin Flowe and/or Sav'ell Smalls would be amazing)
CB - McGlothern, Jahari Rogers, Joshua Eaton, Kitan Crawford

There is no denying this, however Nick Saban has the one thing he can hang his hat on. Offensive line recruiting. Over the last 3 years he has signed 11 offensive linemen 3 5'star, 7 4'star and 1 3'star. Not to mention in the Bama backfield, he will share time with lots of other 5'star talent so he doesn't get worn down. These are both big things that Evans has talked about in the past that he wants. Lets also remember Bama has had some good success recruiting North shore players. Add to all that the fact that George is all over Bama right now, I'd say the odd strongly favor Bama to get Evans.

It would be Christmas for Texas if we could get these guys, I'm only saying my opinion based on what I mentioned above.

I am going to say this again, there are a lot of great backs this recruiting cycle, Evans is one of the top 2, but man there are some great players out there that can carry the rock. I don't see how Texas doesn't come away with at least 2 great backs. For me the real prize is Milton, he is a man among boys. I actually think he is better than Adrian Peterson was when he was a high school junior. Same size and speed, but much better cutting ability, and he cuts without losing speed. Milton actually explodes out of his cuts.
That's a bold statement. I'm going to go watch some film now. Peterson was an insane RB in high school.

Apparently a former Florida Gator DB (Chris Steele) who just finished up his freshman year at Florida is looking to transfer. He was high on Texas when before he decided to go to Florida. I could see it coming down to Texas and USC for his services.

Apparently his roommate has been twice charged with sexual assault and asked to change rooms because he did not want to be associated with that player. His coaching staff told him not only no, but basically you can deal with it. This created a rift between player and staff and he is now looking to transfer. All of that is second hand to me, so I can't vouch for the validity

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Question for those in the know, as I’m not following 2020 recruiting very closely at all yet.

Last year at this point (and long before), objective and knowledgeable observers (like Nawlin at IT) said that aggy was very likely to hold a strong advantage overall in-state. (That turned out to be the case, but we obviously still assembled a killer class anyway.)

Is it safe to say that the overall in-state recruiting situation is different and more favorable to us this year?

Apparently a former Florida Gator DB (Chris Steele) who just finished up his freshman year at Florida is looking to transfer. He was high on Texas when before he decided to go to Florida. I could see it coming down to Texas and USC for his services.

Apparently his roommate has been twice charged with sexual assault and asked to change rooms because he did not want to be associated with that player. His coaching staff told him not only no, but basically you can deal with it. This created a rift between player and staff and he is now looking to transfer. All of that is second hand to me, so I can't vouch for the validity
I heard Chris Steele was on the transfer market, but I had not heard why. Seems like a guy who should be able to get a waiver to play immediately, but who knows with the NCAA.

Steele was a high 4 star, 5 star type player who was a consensus top 10 CB in the nation. Whoever he lands with is going to get a nice boost.

Reactions: ASURAM2010
Question for those in the know, as I’m not following 2020 recruiting very closely at all yet.

Last year at this point (and long before), objective and knowledgeable observers (like Nawlin at IT) said that aggy was very likely to hold a strong advantage overall in-state. (That turned out to be the case, but we obviously still assembled a killer class anyway.)

Is it safe to say that the overall in-state recruiting situation is different and more favorable to us this year?

I definitely think we will be more successful in state this year compared to last.

We already have commitments from 3 top 20 players (Card, Majors and Garth) - which includes the top QB and 2 of the top 4 OL. We are incredibly solid with Lindberg who is the top OL in the state.

Outside of landing Lindberg I could see us adding 4 other top 10 guys (Zack Evans, Vernon Broughton, JaQuinden Jackson, Chris Thompson Jr) and Omiere who is number 11. That would be 7 of the top 12 guys and 9 of the top 20. Not sure they all go in our favor (especially Evans but we will see)

That's a bold statement. I'm going to go watch some film now. Peterson was an insane RB in high school.

Here is the Rivals link to Zachary Evans' highlight page from his sophomore season. For some reason, there are no highlights from last year on Rivals, which was his junior season. His 2018 junior stats don't jump off of the page at you because he rarely played in the second half of games since North Shore blew out pretty much every team that they played last year. This kid is a helluva RB. He can take it to the house any time he touches the ball.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/186957/featured/videos

I heard Chris Steele was on the transfer market, but I had not heard why. Seems like a guy who should be able to get a waiver to play immediately, but who knows with the NCAA.

Steele was a high 4 star, 5 star type player who was a consensus top 10 CB in the nation. Whoever he lands with is going to get a nice boost.
I'm thinking, but could be wrong, but wasn't he just an early enrollee? Like just this past Jan. So he hasn't even been there a full season, ala Bru.

I'm thinking, but could be wrong, but wasn't he just an early enrollee? Like just this past Jan. So he hasn't even been there a full season, ala Bru.

Correct. He was an early enrollee, and hadn't even finished his first semester at Florida.

Also. ASURAM's story of the reason why he's leaving is true. In fact, his roommate assaulted two girls in 30 minutes.

Steele made the decision to leave Florida after requests to change dorm rooms, to separate himself from quarterback Jalon Jones, were not granted. Jones was accused of sexual battery by two women in April in separate incidents that allegedly took place in his apartment on April 6, according to University of Florida Police Department reports.

Florida coach Dan Mullen has tried to reconcile the situation as the former ESPN 300 defensive back, ranked No. 95 in the 2019 class out of St. John Bosco high school in Bellflower, California, was in line to contribute this upcoming season after enrolling early at Florida.

Mullen and his wife, Megan, travelled to Steele's home Wednesday, according to a source, and apologized to Steele, making an effort to have him rejoin the team. Steele returning to the Gators is not out of the question, as a source told ESPN.com that the Steele family thinks very highly of Mullen, but it will be difficult as Steele was traumatized by being associated with the police report.

per espn.

i cut and past a bit to cut down on the TLDR

Reactions: Bwilk55
I was lurking over on the aggsy site and they seem to believe that Broughton is about to pull the trigger to them. Anyone hear anything about Vernon going to aggsy?

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me as he is now a FWK guy and we all know how that works.

2020 Offense Recruiting: A brief summary of where we stand at each position of the 2020 class.

June will hopefully be a big month for the horns as things have been slow recently. A big recruiting weekend June 22nd could be the catalyst for a lot of movement.

QB - Texas has a great signal caller in the class in Hudson Card. They make take a second in Ja'Quinden Jackson who is an athlete that would start at QB.

Hudson Card - 4 star, #61 in nation - Texas Commit
Stud QB who fits at Texas well. Thriving in the Lake Travis offense which makes a transition to Texas easy. He's got a great arm and is a very athletic runner (prior WR).

Ja'Quinden Jackson
- 4 star, #48 in nation - Texas lean
Listed as an athlete but does want to play QB at the next level. Texas seems open to giving him an opportunity to give QB a shot and if that doesn't work out, there are plenty of options of where he could thrive.
- Recently released a teaser video that a commitment is coming soon.

RB
- Texas will battle for a 5 star RB in this class. Evans seems to be headed elsewhere after Texas didn't make his top 5. They could end up with 2-3 RBs in the class with an every down stud, a scat back type and a H-back in current commit Hullaby.

Zachary Evans - 5 star, #1 in nation - Recently eliminated Texas
1 of 6 5 star RBs we have offered. He has all the tools to be a great college RB and 1st round NFL draft pick.

Kendal Milton
- 5 star, #21 in nation - Didn't include Texas in top schools list. He was leaning OU which may have helped with McClellan as below.

Jase McClellan
- 5 star, #22 in nation - OU Commit
Jase committed to OU very early but it's clear his recruitment is still open. Texas will keep trying but with Milton eliminating OU, it is more likely Jase sticks.

Bijan Robinson
- 5 star, #25 in nation - Open, Texas lean
Stud RB out of Arizona, a state where Texas is building some strong ties. He has visited Austin multiple times including an official visit during the Spring game. Despite the distance, Texas is right in this one.

EJ Smith
- 4 star, #101 in nation - Open, Florida lean
Son of Emmitt Smith, very athletic APB. Texas recently offered so has some work to do in this recruitment.

Ty Jordan - 4 star, #417 in nation - Open
Scat back type with plenty of speed and good work in the receiving game

Jaden Hullaby - 3 star, #822 in nation - Texas Commit
Recruited for the H-back role. Add some bulk and think of him as a more athletic Andrew Beck. If he could have the success as a blocker that Beck had, he would be a great, though unexciting, addition to the offense.

WR - Not a high priority in this class given the young talent on campus but it's always good to add a couple of athletes at the position. Texas is in on some major recruits that fit the big body role of a LJH, CJ as well as some smaller more shift WRs.

Demond Demas - 5 star, #17 in nation - TAMU Commit
Big time WR who has made a seemingly solid commitment to TAMU. Things were looking positive for Texas so it was a bit of a surprise. We will keep pursuing but he seems entrenched.

Johnny Wilson - 5 star, #24 in nation - open
Losing out on Demas, Texas looked west and is pursuing California's best WR. With the turmoil present at the big Cali schools, the opportunity is there. Wilson is very interested in the horns and he plans to get on campus. Get him here and lets see what happens.
- Has plans for two visits this summer which is great news

Mookie Cooper - 4 star, #65 in nation - Texas De-commit
Mookie was a huge addition to the recruiting class early on but then backed off his decision. Illinois seems to be the biggest threat at this time. Mookie is still interested in the horns so this one isn't over. He is extremely athletic with quick quickness, acceleration and agility.
- Plans to be back in Austin for in OV in June

Troy Omeire - 4 star, #90 in nation - Texas vs TAMU 50/50
This seems to be a Texas vs TAMU battle. Momentum has gone back and forth and perhaps aggy has the lead currently. After Demas, he is the prized WR in the state.

Javian Hester - 4 star, #148 in nation
Burner out of Okla, will be tough to pull him from across the Red River.

Quentin Johnston
- 4 star, #186 in nation
Texas in a good position here

Devon Achane - 4 star, #238 in nation
A very athletic and fast WR. Has been an aggy lean for a while and Texas has thrown their hat in the ring more recently. Probably some room to make up here to get in the mix.

Kelvontay Dixon - 3 star, #601 in nation - Texas lean
Brother of Keontay Ingram. He is an athlete who plays RB/WR roles. I think numbers at the RB role will get tight so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

TE
- I wouldn't be shocked to see Texas bypass the TE position this year unless one of their top targets wants to jump on board.

Darnell Washington - 5 star, #14 in nation
Elite talent with crazy size, 6'7.5 at 248 pounds. He is interested in Texas and has said he plans to visit. Get him on campus and see where this goes.

Jalin Conyers - 4 star, #302 in nation - Eliminated Texas from top schools
Picked up a Texas offer at the Spring game. He plays DE, WR and TE roles in high school but it seems Texas wants him for the TE role. He is already 6-4, 220, so with some added bulk he could easily play on the end of the line.

Offensive Line
- Texas has 3 solid commits at this point (Garth, Parr, Majors) and my guess is they keep pursuing Lindberg and George and not much else unless they miss on both of those tackles. I think they'd take them both if they want in.

OT
Chad Lindberg
- 4 star, #96 in nation - Texas lean
One of the remaining pieces of the OL puzzle for 2020. He is a top OT talent in this class (#8 at position). He seems to be a very strong Texas lean and I'd be shocked if he doesn't end up in burnt orange. Stanford is the biggest competition.
- Still very much a Texas lean. He could commit this summer.

Jaylen Garth
- 4 star, #118 in nation - Texas Commit
Former teammate of current freshman QB Roschon Johnson. Athletic tackle who has a shot to play LT in college.

Damieon George
- 3 star, #427 in nation
Great size (6'6 350) who plays the position well in high school. Teammate of Zachary Evans and potentially a big player in how that recruitment ends as well.
- seemingly headed elsewhere, especially with Evans eliminated Texas

OG
Logan Parr
- 4 star, #167 in nation - Texas Commit
Very solid interior prospect. Doesn't quite have the length for a tackle spot (6'3.5) but is well built and athletic.

Center
Jake Majors
- 4 star, #151 in nation - Texas Commit
Like Parr, lacks the height for a tackle spot but well built and athletic. Would be making a move to center so would have to adjust to that potentially if that is what the staff decides is best overall.

Reactions: Oldmanastro
I really like Ja'Quinden Jackson and want to give him a shot at QB, he is a guy that could be a special talent if he can learn to throw.

As for RB. We are all in on Bijan Robinson at this point, and I'm good with that. in a conference like the Big 12, he will not be a 20 carries a game back but he he will give you great production at 12 touches a game, he has the running style that is silky smooth, reminds me of Marcus Allen. He just glides when he has the ball.

Oline is a position we are doing very well now. we might struggle a little this season but we have some depth now. I'd go all in on Lindberg and call it quits after him. The reason for this is next year there are so many good linemen you take 5 or 6 if you can get them.

TE is not a position of need, if we could get the kid from Bishop Gorman he would be awesome. but outside of him is useless.

I'm really hoping we can steal away Seth McGowan from blOwU, he IMO is right up there with Evans, he might not have the SPARQ score but he is a work horse. Most years he is the best back in the state. A good comparison is the kid from IMG that ended up at Penn State.

We really REALLY need to have these stud running backs stop leaving the state. It’s happened far too much over the past few years.
Winning cures a lot, but it’s getting out of hand.

I really like Ja'Quinden Jackson and want to give him a shot at QB, he is a guy that could be a special talent if he can learn to throw.

As for RB. We are all in on Bijan Robinson at this point, and I'm good with that. in a conference like the Big 12, he will not be a 20 carries a game back but he he will give you great production at 12 touches a game, he has the running style that is silky smooth, reminds me of Marcus Allen. He just glides when he has the ball.

Oline is a position we are doing very well now. we might struggle a little this season but we have some depth now. I'd go all in on Lindberg and call it quits after him. The reason for this is next year there are so many good linemen you take 5 or 6 if you can get them.

TE is not a position of need, if we could get the kid from Bishop Gorman he would be awesome. but outside of him is useless.

I'm really hoping we can steal away Seth McGowan from blOwU, he IMO is right up there with Evans, he might not have the SPARQ score but he is a work horse. Most years he is the best back in the state. A good comparison is the kid from IMG that ended up at Penn State.
I agree. I love what we have done at QB and OL so far (land Lindberg and we are set. We may end up with the highest ranked RB we have had in a long time despite missing on several in state 5 stars. TE may be a wash and WR could have some several talented guys but not a phenomenal group like we have had recently.

Ja'Quinden is committing on June 3rd and while he is pretty quite and doesn't talk with many recruiting experts, the consensus is that he will be coming to Texas. He is a top 50 player nationally and is listed as the number 4 Athlete.

It sounds like he wants to give QB a try at the college level though he has the skills to succeed at a variety of positions. He is a powerful runner at the QB position, a guy you run a lot of QB read option, QB sweep, QB power with etc. He doesn't have a film showing him making a lot of challenging throws, mostly short routes and a few deep balls. His development there will be the biggest factor in his long term position.

If he does come on board, there will be a lot of competition at the QB spot once Sam graduates. Casey Thompson will have been in the program 3 years and Roschon will have 2 years of experience. Hudson Card and Ja'Quinden would be coming off of redshirt years and hopefully Preston Stone will be enrolling early that Spring. That is a very healthy place for a QB room to be (though I'd expect some position changes or transfers).

Check out his highlights.
https://www.hudl.com/profile/7591645/JaQuinden-Jackson

A couple of big out of state visitors on campus this weekend.

Lathan Ransom is the 2nd highest rated safety we are pursuing (64th in nation, 4th ranked safety). He is coming out of Arizona and is teammates with Bijan Robinson. It looks like he has already used his 5 official visits (us, OU, tOSU, ND, LSU) so getting him back on campus on his own dime says a lot.
https://247sports.com/player/lathan-ransom-46053133/

Johnny Wilson is a 5 star WR out of Ca. He is the ranked 24th in the nation and 4th at WR. He is a Collin Johnson starter pack at 6'6" 220 and helps soften the blow of losing Demond Demas. I believe this is an unofficial visit and he already plans to return on an official - so again, it says a lot that he is making the trip on his own dime.
https://247sports.com/player/johnny-wilson-46036733/

A handful of offers going out this weekend:

Andrej Karic is a 2020 OT prospect. Currently an undersized 3 star at about 250 pounds but those who have seen him in person think he could carry around 300 pounds. He would be a developmental prospect, certainly a redshirt candidate and then a guy that would probably need an additional year or two. Apparently the athleticism is there, just needs the size.
https://247sports.com/player/andrej-karic-46050370/

Noah Arinze is a 3 star Def. end out of St. Louis. Texas continues to look to recruit an area that produces a lot of high end talent consistently. I don't think this new offer reflects at all on where we stand with current in state DE targets but rather initiating a relationship with a guy the coaches think could be a contributor.
https://247sports.com/Player/Noah-Arinze-46078883/

Latrell McCutchin is a 2021 CB (not going to start a 2021 thread) out of Austin. According to 247 he is a top 10 CB and top 20 player in the state. The other sites haven't ranked him yet but he will be a big player in the 2021 class. He already has schools like Bama after him so it will be a fight but Texas should be in a good position with the local blue chip player.
https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Latrell-McCutchin-118923/RecruitInterests/

Javian Hester - 4 star, #148 in nation
Burner out of Okla, will be tough to pull him from across the Red River.

Unlikely to stay in Oklahoma. OU moved on from him awhile ago (not sure why honestly) and doesn't seem serious about OSU.

Arkansas seems to be the favorite but Texas could probably land him if they pushed for him.

A couple of big out of state visitors on campus this weekend.

Lathan Ransom is the 2nd highest rated safety we are pursuing (64th in nation, 4th ranked safety). He is coming out of Arizona and is teammates with Bijan Robinson. It looks like he has already used his 5 official visits (us, OU, tOSU, ND, LSU) so getting him back on campus on his own dime says a lot.
https://247sports.com/player/lathan-ransom-46053133/

Johnny Wilson is a 5 star WR out of Ca. He is the ranked 24th in the nation and 4th at WR. He is a Collin Johnson starter pack at 6'6" 220 and helps soften the blow of losing Demond Demas. I believe this is an unofficial visit and he already plans to return on an official - so again, it says a lot that he is making the trip on his own dime.
https://247sports.com/player/johnny-wilson-46036733/
Seems like Lathan enjoyed his visit - pretty typical stuff. The interesting thing is that Kelee Ringo was making some pro-Texas comments on Lathan's twitter posts. Talking about the possibility of Lathan, Bijan and Ringo all playing at Texas.

Now, it doesn't mean much at all but it is nice to see Ringo speaking good about Texas. Things have been pointing to Georgia after seemingly being all Texas early for him. The key will be the big visit weekend on June 22nd. If Ringo is there, I will still consider that we have a decent chance for him.

Ringo is coached by Bryant Westbrook, that is our Ace in the Hole. We have a good year and I'm confident he will pick Texas. Arizona is producing some great prospects, I feel good about recruiting that state.

Reactions: freeper
Ringo is coached by Bryant Westbrook, that is our Ace in the Hole. We have a good year and I'm confident he will pick Texas. Arizona is producing some great prospects, I feel good about recruiting that state.

Bryant Westbrook is a hs coach in CA? I was wondering what became of him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT