ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor gets a little more rapey

The silence from Waco is deafening. Maybe there is a non vocal dissention of disgusted alum/faculty/admin, but it really looks like the entire institution is just closing their eyes and sticking their fingers in their ears.

Reactions: swVAHorn
o_O :rolleyes: It's certainly ugly, but worse than Switzer?!

Switzer's OU staff & "student"-athlete-employees had the rapes, the cocaine selling to an undercover FBI agent, and 18 NCAA recruiting violations, and doubtlessly plenty more that went unpunished. Cheating so much that a legend (DKR) chose to retire.

Baylor and Briles haven't come close to approaching that, AFAIK. You'd have to be pretty disgusting to be worse than Switzer's OU. Sandusky-Paterno-level.[/Q

It may have taken awhile but they were ultimately punished. Switzer lost his job and the 3 year probation they got put on beginning in 1989 crippled them for a good while. Sooner football was non-existent in the 90's.

The silence from Waco is deafening. Maybe there is a non vocal dissention of disgusted alum/faculty/admin, but it really looks like the entire institution is just closing their eyes and sticking their fingers in their ears.
Silence???

https://www.baylor.edu/president/news.php?action=story&story=165607

Some of you have voiced frustration, inquiring why Baylor has been silent on the University’s handling of response to specific reports of sexual assault. As I briefly suggested above, student information is scrupulously protected by FERPA student-privacy laws. These federal measures prevent universities, including Baylor, from speaking publicly about particular incidents. Reports of sexual violence necessarily involve intensely personal and deeply private matters. Even when students choose to come forward to share details publicly about their experiences, the U.S. Department of Education has been clear that that action does not constitute a waiver of FERPA student-privacy laws. The fact that information is a matter of general public interest, as it manifestly is, does not provide an educational institution with permission to release that information. While Baylor can speak generally to policies, procedures and practices, we cannot speak to individual cases and remain within the confines of governing law.

More like complete inaction on the part of the university and athletic dept. I'm sure they'll hide behind a whitewashed internal review document next and wash their hands of the whole thing.

This just shows that the NCAA is now totally defunct. It is an empty suit of an organization.

I agree, take off and nuke it from orbit. Only way to be sure.

Reactions: swVAHorn and Scholz
I agree, take off and nuke it from orbit. Only way to be sure.
dwaynehicks-640x345.jpg

I think it is ironic how the iron fist of the NCAA will launch a full scale investigation to get to the bottom of a kid receiving a little extra money from someone, but sexual assaults don't rise to that level...at least for Baylor. I'm not in favor of athletes being paid, but a little perspective is in order. Damn. I also think that if one of us (Texas, A&M, Tech, etc.) had done this, there would be Hell to pay.
I think the reason the NCAA hasn't said anything is because this is over their level of expertise. These aren't recruiting violations, or impermissible benefits. This is a BUNCH of criminal cases of which the NCAA cannot handle. Now I think the NCAA should come out and say something along the lines of that we are awaiting the results of the investigations and will make a judgment based on the findings of the investigation. At the time the NCAA could then bring down the hammer for lack of institutional control and things of that nature. I think the NCAA should have a wait and see approach here. Now please don't confuse that with me thinking what Baylor is doing is okay because I believe that is awful and should be handled with the greatest amount of law enforcement possible and that if it comes out that Briles knew this then he should never be able to coach again at any level and that the administrators should never be able to cash a check again. I just believe that the NCAA has to wait until all the results are made public before they can make a ruling.

Again this is not an NCAA issue. This is now a deal with violations of Federal law. The NCAA bylaws don't govern this type of behavior. The problem isn't that the sexual assault occurred. They occur on every campus. The problem is how the university responded to the allegations. The typical standard used with campus sexual assault investigations is a preponderance of evidence which means the assault more than likely happened. The qestion is how did an investigation with that standard clear a person who was later convicted using the much tougher standard of beyond a reasonable doubt. Baylor had structural issues with their title IX compliance office and the law suits are based on the lack of support given to the women who reported sexual assaults. Based on what I have read so far Baylor doesn't have a chance and I am thinking they will settle so the dirty laundry doesn't come out in a court room.

Reactions: oldhorn2
[

This is funny. Aggie tired of hanging on to SEC coattails and now trying to latch back on to UT and now even Tech.

BTW - SMU would disagree about the NCAA ignoring small schools for big schools.

You have no sense. When I said "One of us" I meant state supported schools in Texas. It makes no difference the conference. I will include U of H. Feel better? And "BTW," what SMU did pales in comparison to what Baylor appears to have done.

Remember Montrel Meander? Remember why he was kicked off the team? Before there was even a trial?

Coach Strong came in and talked about core values among them being respect to women. Because we didn't have a good team, he was mocked by other teams fans especially Baylor. I looked at their boards and read it myself.

Who's being mocked now?

Again this is not an NCAA issue. This is now a deal with violations of Federal law. The NCAA bylaws don't govern this type of behavior. The problem isn't that the sexual assault occurred. They occur on every campus. The problem is how the university responded to the allegations. The typical standard used with campus sexual assault investigations is a preponderance of evidence which means the assault more than likely happened. The qestion is how did an investigation with that standard clear a person who was later convicted using the much tougher standard of beyond a reasonable doubt. Baylor had structural issues with their title IX compliance office and the law suits are based on the lack of support given to the women who reported sexual assaults. Based on what I have read so far Baylor doesn't have a chance and I am thinking they will settle so the dirty laundry doesn't come out in a court room.
I disagree this is not an NCAA issue. If a football player is being treated differently than a non-football player would have to keep him playing then that is impermissible. A football player getting preferential treatment is what was and is going on at Baylor as far as the NCAA is concerned. Now the laws being broken are also important and the hammer should come down for both.

You have no sense. When I said "One of us" I meant state supported schools in Texas. It makes no difference the conference. I will include U of H. Feel better? And "BTW," what SMU did pales in comparison to what Baylor appears to have done.
Just using your words.

"And BTW" - the NCAA shut down the football program at SMU. To state that the NCAA would go harder after a big state school (or whatever you meant by "one of us") as opposed to a small private is ridiculous.

so Ken Starr will be pushed on the sword to save Briles....go figure. Somebody needs to investigate how many of these players would have been considered ineligible and suspended when it was initially reported to authorities. Thank god we did not end up with Briles...what a sleezebag.

From the chipster-

Talked to multiple sources today connected to Baylor who said Ken Starr will be out as the school's president and chancellor - probably moved to a position in BU's law school - as a result of the failed leadership displayed after multiple rape claims made by female Baylor students against BU football players went all but ignored. ESPN's Outside The Lines had yet another report on new allegations on Wednesday. And yet Baylor's silence from the president's office persists. I'm told the term of BU regent Richard Willis as chairman is only through the end of May and that one of his final actions as regents chair will be to move Starr out as president and chancellor.

Art Briles, whose nickname among Baylor brass is "Moses," will absolutely continue on as football coach. The hope would be Baylor's new president could establish a strong relationship with Briles to make sure nothing like this ever happens again. Starr's personality is to avoid conflict and is too much like an attorney who always invokes attorney-client privilege in refusing to disclose any information, sources said. That is absolutely the wrong approach to have at Baylor right now, they said.

"Even at a private school, you have to get out in front of something like this and yell from the mountain top that you're going to get to the bottom of everything and make sure this never happens again," one BU source said. "The school's reputation is on the line." Keep an eye on Joel Allison, who is stepping down as CEO of Dallas-based Baylor Scott & White Health in February 2017 as a possible replacement for Starr replacement after an interim president is appointed for the next 6-7 months.

(Chip Brown)

I think this is gaining enough traction that the end of this tunnel is going to be Starr and Briles gone. Simply reassigning Starr would be seen as a joke, and cause the spotlight to grow even brighter. Right now their private status has prevented the public from really getting the gory details, that's not going to protect them once lawsuits start coming in and the public sees everything.

Just using your words.

"And BTW" - the NCAA shut down the football program at SMU. To state that the NCAA would go harder after a big state school (or whatever you meant by "one of us") as opposed to a small private is ridiculous.
True. NCAA is less likely to kill a cash cow. The media is probably a different story.

Reactions: diadevic
Just using your words.

Fair enough. And it is also ridiculous to think this has anything to do with a conference...just using YOUR words.

I still want to see Bill Clinton become First Dude and head up a special Title IX investigation of Baylor and directly grill that POS hypocrite Ken Starr concerning just how much he cares about young women. Maybe he could also depose Dennis Hastert from prison as a character reference. #karma

Reactions: outhereincali
Fair enough. And it is also ridiculous to think this has anything to do with a conference...just using YOUR words.
It's ridiculous to thing that you are sucking up to UT and Tech? You are now denying that? Now THAT is ridiculous!

It's ridiculous to thing that you are sucking up to UT and Tech? You are now denying that? Now THAT is ridiculous!
With something like this there should not be a "side". There is football and there is right and wrong. As much as I love the game it is not more important that women being raped....

Reactions: westx and Scholz
With something like this there should not be a "side". There is football and there is right and wrong. As much as I love the game it is not more important that women being raped....
I'm with you 100%. Which is why I'm trying to figure out why he framed his statement as parties taking "sides".

I disagree this is not an NCAA issue. If a football player is being treated differently than a non-football player would have to keep him playing then that is impermissible. A football player getting preferential treatment is what was and is going on at Baylor as far as the NCAA is concerned. Now the laws being broken are also important and the hammer should come down for both.

Show me where this is in the NCAA bylaws regarding impermissible benefits to a student athlete. It's not there. This isn't an NCAA issue. The problem lies wherever Baylor houses their Title IX compliance. That being said Baylor is in a similar situation to Penn State. The NCAA could impose punishment and Baylor cant really survive the optics of challenging the ruling

Hmmm, Maybe.... what if Starr were to sexually and physically abuse Briles a few times both on and off campus while the campus and City police stand by and do nothing would make the point that needs to be made...

Hmmm, Maybe.... what if Starr were to sexually and physically abuse Briles a few times both on and off campus while the campus and City police stand by and do nothing would make the point that needs to be made...
Pretty sure Star would be Briles bitch in this odd scenario.

[

This is funny. Aggie tired of hanging on to SEC coattails and now trying to latch back on to UT and now even Tech.

BTW - SMU would disagree about the NCAA ignoring small schools for big schools.

C'mon

You aren't going to be able to sidetrack a rape scandal thread.....even by pulling a UT vs ATM vs TT pissing contest here.

Thats like PSU fans trying to talk about Michigan hating Michigan St while JoePa is on trial for his coach playing with little boys. No one cares. So stop making it your new talking point for two pages now.

Art Briles is the devil himself. I can't believe that people actually defended that piece of shit, including a few Longhorn fans on this site. He allowed that environment to be...wins over morals.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT