Bear Spray or Smith & Wesson handgun?

marka1

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
I'm going with the Smith & Wesson handgun.

When Tyce Erickson was charged by an enraged 1,000-pound Kodiak bear, he dropped it with three shots from his Smith & Wesson handgun. He swears by the gun and told Cowboy State Daily he’ll pack it in Wyoming for his upcoming elk hunt.

Mark Heinz
July 08, 2024

Tyce Erickson used a 10 mm pistol to stop this 1,000-pound Kodiak bear that charged his hunting guide in Alaska. The 10 mm round is popular for bear defense. Lee Francis of Evanston used a similar pistol to fight off a grizzly in the Wyoming backcountry in 2022.

Tyce Erickson used a 10 mm pistol to stop this 1,000-pound Kodiak bear that charged his hunting guide in Alaska. The 10 mm round is popular for bear defense. Lee Francis of Evanston used a similar pistol to fight off a grizzly in the Wyoming backcountry in 2022. (Courtesy: Tyce Erickson)

When Erickson and his guide were charged by an enraged, wounded 1,000-pound Kodiak bear, he dropped it with three shots from his Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 chambered in 10 mm.

Now he swears by the pistol and told Cowboy State Daily he’ll pack it in Wyoming if his hoped-for elk hunt here works out.

“I love that pistol. I just got it, and that trip to Alaska was the first hunt I took it on,” he said. “And I’m glad I had it.”

Similar sentiments were expressed to Cowboy State Daily by Lee Francis of Evanston, who tangled with a grizzly bear in the remote Gros Ventre range in October 2022.

He swore his Glock 10 mm pistol saved his life, even though he accidentally shot himself in the calf during the furious attack.

The bear had knocked Francis on his back, and he was kicking at its face while firing as fast as he could at near point-blank range.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.