Oct 07.....Kansas State.....Home - Win
Oct 14.....Oklahoma.....Dallas, TX - Loss
Oct 21.....Oklahoma State.....Home - Loss
Oct 28.....Baylor.....Away - Win
Nov 04.....TCU.....Away - Win
Nov 11.....Kansas.....Home - Win
Nov 18.....West Virginia.....Away - Loss
Nov 24.....Texas Tech.....Home - Win

That's 8-4 for Herman's first year. Was hesitant to give Texas a loss to TCU, but I think 8-4 is about right.

Thoughts?

Reactions: bozans and Bwilk55
Micco, no disagreement on your picks. I think Herman is going to do well at Texas. 8-4 in his first year isn't a bad thing.

Reactions: bozans
If we are 5-1 on 10/13, I think we'll have a better-than-decent shot at being 6-1 on 10/15. A 5-1 record should indicate a strong D and respectable O. That combination can beat OU(sucks)

Sep 02.....Maryland.....Home - Win
Sep 09.....San José State.....Home - Win
Sep 16.....USC.....Away - Loss
Sep 23.....Bye
Sep 28.....Iowa State.....Away - Win
Oct 07.....Kansas State.....Home - Win
Oct 14.....Oklahoma.....Dallas, TX - Loss
Oct 21.....Oklahoma State.....Home - Loss
Oct 28.....Baylor.....Away - Win
Nov 04.....TCU.....Away - Win
Nov 11.....Kansas.....Home - Win
Nov 18.....West Virginia.....Away - Loss
Nov 24.....Texas Tech.....Home - Win

That's 8-4 for Herman's first year. Was hesitant to give Texas a loss to TCU, but I think 8-4 is about right.

Thoughts?

I agree with your 8-4, record.

I see USC as our most likely loss, followed by OU. After that, I could see us losing to, in order of likelihood, WVU, TCU, Ok St., Baylor, or K St. I wouldn't be terrible shocked with anything from 6-6 to 10-2 but I think the middle ground of 8-4 is very likely.

Your list looks logical but i'd swap the loss to Okie St with either KSt or Maryland.

Maryland, why so? Herman and Co are gonna come out strong at home in the opening game and I don't see that Maryland is bringing much firepower with them. Our depth issues will also not be as problematic as we will be as healthy as ever for the first game.

I will wait till 2nd or 3rd game to judge, as always I want any coach to win them all at Texas, if Herman don't run the same plays all yr long like Strong and Mack at the last, then he will do well, defense are picking up on the same play shit now very easy, if a team can't run but 4 or 5 plays then its gonna have trouble and then ya gotta look at depth chart and injuries..too early to make a perdition, but the hope is strong that Herman will do good but, then the hope was there during Strong rein also..wait and see is best!

Hook'em

Thoughts?

Merely competent, special teams play and clock management would have resulted in 8-4 last year and Strong still being here.

I've got to see them play a couple of actual games to make any prediction. Installing a new defense and the 6th or 7th straight year of a new offense doesn't make me optimistic nor does the right side of the OL.

WVA lost a ton of guys from last season. They are bottom 5 in the nation for returning starters for 2017. Texas is in the top 10. DBFeb25.html But they picked up transfer QB Will Grier and it is the 11th game of the season for WVA to get experience. On the other hand they play at, a traditionally very physical, KSU the weekend before.

Last edited:
I completely agree except for TCU. I don't see them bringing much. But think 8-4 to 9-3 is what most people expect from this team. Of course the "cake is already baked" so it should be simple, right???? ;)

I'll bet money someone on this board will argue that. LOL!

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see better than 8-4, but coming from where Texas has been the last several years, 8-4 would be a huge improvement and a step in the right direction. 9-3 or 10-2 would be outstanding!

Reactions: Cotton #12
Don't see TH losing to ou. He's already 1-0 against them, and they lose most of their offensive production from 2016. There could be other losses on the schedule, but I just don't see that one happening.

Sep 02.....Maryland.....Home - wait and see
Sep 09.....San José State.....Home - wait and see
Sep 16.....USC.....Away - wait and see
Sep 23.....Bye
Sep 28.....Iowa State.....Away - wait and see
Oct 07.....Kansas State.....Home - wait and see
Oct 14.....Oklahoma.....Dallas, TX - WIN
Oct 21.....Oklahoma State.....Home - wait and see
Oct 28.....Baylor.....Away - wait and see
Nov 04.....TCU.....Away - wait and see
Nov 11.....Kansas.....Home - wait and see
Nov 18.....West Virginia.....Away - wait and see
Nov 24.....Texas Tech.....Home - wait and see

Maryland, why so? Herman and Co are gonna come out strong at home in the opening game and I don't see that Maryland is bringing much firepower with them. Our depth issues will also not be as problematic as we will be as healthy as ever for the first game.

No logical reason really. Let's just say that after a handful of years drinking the pre-season "we fixed it" koolaid only to be bitchslapped by reality once the season kicks off......I just don't have a warm fuzzy yet.
Throw in a new coach with a new playbook and you have a good potential for calamity due to unfamiliarity.

I think we'll beat one of OU or OSU, and probably lose to someone you have marked as a win. Overall 8-4

Can the 2nd game of the season be a trap game? I think so.

Kinda hope we struggle against Md. and pull out a win.

9-3.

No logical reason really. Let's just say that after a handful of years drinking the pre-season "we fixed it" koolaid only to be bitchslapped by reality once the season kicks off......I just don't have a warm fuzzy yet.
Throw in a new coach with a new playbook and you have a good potential for calamity due to unfamiliarity.
Fair enough.

8 - 4 is a nice pic. 7 - 5 is a nice pic. It really depends on QB play, strong running attack and a solid D. IF things happens like that, a USC upset wouldn't be out of the question.

For what its worth.....I read where in the very last practice, with # 1 against #1 the offense simply could not move the ba!l. The defense is for real. Top guys mentioned....ELLIOT. FOWLER..Elliot....ROa CH, Elliot, andallDcoaches.

That sounded great to me,...........Ityped this on a damned tiny pad....deal with it.

Reactions: cwillfromdatx
I completely agree except for TCU. I don't see them bringing much. But think 8-4 to 9-3 is what most people expect from this team. Of course the "cake is already baked" so it should be simple, right???? ;)
I would respect TCU this year,10 returning starters on offense,7 on defense and have always bounced back to an 10 or 11 wins after a poor season under Patterson.TCU knows how to "build" football players under Patterson.

Sep 02.....Maryland.....Home - win, but closer than what we hope
Sep 09.....San José State.....Home - win
Sep 16.....USC.....Away - loss, but i think we're competitive
Sep 23.....Off-- surely we can beat off
Sep 28.....Iowa State.....Away - win; i see this as the statement game that things have changed... we'll look mature and well-coached on the road in ames on a thursday night; we'll know it when we see it
Oct 07.....Kansas State.....Home - inexplicably easy win; we'll have believers after this one
Oct 14.....Oklahoma.....Dallas, TX - win; momentum is in our favor
Oct 21.....Oklahoma State.....Home - win; we're at home and still playing well
Oct 28.....Baylor.....Away - win, but close and we won't play as well as we had in the previous 4 games; there will be frustration but we will find a way in the end
Nov 04.....TCU.....Away - win
Nov 11.....Kansas.....Home -win; sheer, utter destruction for 3 qtrs
Nov 18.....West Virginia.....Away -loss; reality-check for a team still not ready for the upper big-time; always hate playing in lubbock or west virginia late in the year
Nov 24.....Texas Tech.....Home - win; send coach cool off into sunset

obviously a highly optimistic outlook. i'm looking for the harbaugh effect. a lot of our losses were close last year, and attention to detail can eliminate some of that. that october stretch is brutal and tcu on the road is tough, but i think we're capable.

Reactions: HornDrummer
"a lot of our losses were close last year, and attention to detail can eliminate some of that."

Several of your wins were close last year as well. It could go worse. :)

Just kidding. The reality is that I believe Tom Herman will right the ship for Texas. But I also really believed Charlie Strong was going to do the same thing. So I'm readily willing to admit I don't see your optimistic view as crazy. But I'll need to see it first.

"a lot of our losses were close last year, and attention to detail can eliminate some of that."

Several of your wins were close last year as well. It could go worse. :)

Just kidding. The reality is that I believe Tom Herman will right the ship for Texas. But I also really believed Charlie Strong was going to do the same thing. So I'm readily willing to admit I don't see your optimistic view as crazy. But I'll need to see it first.

Yeah UTEP and Iowa State were the only teams we soundly beat. The other 3 wins could have easily swung the other way with a bad bounce here or there. God we were awful.

we were bad, and thank the good Lord for d'onta foreman. but i'm going to choose to be optimistic. realistically, losses at tcu and 1 of the 3 october games would be forgiven. maybe even 2 if we beat tcu later.

I think Texas will beat ISU, but that is a Thursday night ESPN game on the road, and those have historically been difficult for road favorites.

According to Phil Steele, Texas is tied for 3rd in 2017 returning starters. 17 starters, 7 on Offense and 10 on Defense, including returning QB. Texas went 4-2 at home.

Sep 02.....Maryland.(6-7)....Returns 14 starters. Breaking in new QB. Game is at home, I see this a Texas win. 2-4 on the road last year.
Sep 09.....San José State.(4-8)....Returns 15 starters. Breaking in new QB. Game is at home, I see this a Texas win. San Jose went 1-5 on the road last year.
Sep 16.....USC (10-3).....Away - Returns only 12 starters. Still talented. Great QB. First road game. Texas loss. USC currently has won their last 9 games in a row, including the bowl game and went 6-0 at home last year.
Sep 28.....Iowa State (3-9).....Away - Returns 12 starters, including QB. Texas win. Only won 2 games at home last year. However, Texas went 1-4 on the road.
Oct 07.....Kansas State (9-4).....Home - Returns 14 starters, including QB. Went 9-4 last year. This one is going to be tough. KSU close to going 11-2 last year. KSU had two close losses. Lost @ WV by 1 and lost by 6 against OSU. Texas loss. (Can't bet against KSU until we start beating them) KSU was 3-3 on the road last year. Texas could pull it out, but I still think loss.
Oct 14.....Oklahoma (11-2).....Dallas, TX - Returns 16 starters, including QB. If Texas is going into this game at 5-1 and OU is 5-1 (loss to tOSU), this is going to be a hell of a game. Texas loss
Oct 21.....Oklahoma State (10-3).....Home - Returns 12 starters, including QB. Texas win (OSU went 3-2 on the road last year)
Oct 28.....Baylor (7-6).....Away - Returns 14 starters. Breaking in new QB. Texas win (Baylor was 4-2 at home last year. 3 home wins were against Northwestern St., KU and SMU.)
Nov 04.....TCU (6-7).....Away - Returning 17 starters. 10 on offense and 7 on defense, including QB. Texas win. Two weeks on the road will be tough. TCU was 2-5 at home last year. Not sure why they couldn't win at home. In fact, D1-AA South Dakota St. was one of their two home wins. Only other home win was ISU.
Nov 11.....Kansas (2-10).....Home - Returns only 12 starters, including QB. Texas wins
Nov 18.....West Virginia (10-3).....Away - lost a ton of talent. Returning only 8 starters. Breaking in new QB. Only 3 returning starters on defense. Texas wins.
Nov 24.....Texas Tech (5-7).....Home - Returns 14 starters. Breaking in new QB. Texas wins. Kliff heads to the unemployment line.

Losses: USC, OU, KSU

I think we start out 3-3 but then win out after OU. Puts Texas at 9-3. Could blow one to TCU or OSU putting us at 8-4. Could end up winning OU or KSU too.

According to Phil Steele, Texas is tied for 3rd in 2017 returning starters. 17 starters, 7 on Offense and 10 on Defense, including returning QB. Texas went 4-2 at home.

Sep 02.....Maryland.(6-7)....Returns 14 starters. Breaking in new QB. Game is at home, I see this a Texas win. 2-4 on the road last year.
Sep 09.....San José State.(4-8)....Returns 15 starters. Breaking in new QB. Game is at home, I see this a Texas win. San Jose went 1-5 on the road last year.
Sep 16.....USC (10-3).....Away - Returns only 12 starters. Still talented. Great QB. First road game. Texas loss. USC currently has won their last 9 games in a row, including the bowl game and went 6-0 at home last year.
Sep 28.....Iowa State (3-9).....Away - Returns 12 starters, including QB. Texas win. Only won 2 games at home last year. However, Texas went 1-4 on the road.
Oct 07.....Kansas State (9-4).....Home - Returns 14 starters, including QB. Went 9-4 last year. This one is going to be tough. KSU close to going 11-2 last year. KSU had two close losses. Lost @ WV by 1 and lost by 6 against OSU. Texas loss. (Can't bet against KSU until we start beating them) KSU was 3-3 on the road last year. Texas could pull it out, but I still think loss.
Oct 14.....Oklahoma (11-2).....Dallas, TX - Returns 16 starters, including QB. If Texas is going into this game at 5-1 and OU is 5-1 (loss to tOSU), this is going to be a hell of a game. Texas loss
Oct 21.....Oklahoma State (10-3).....Home - Returns 12 starters, including QB. Texas win (OSU went 3-2 on the road last year)
Oct 28.....Baylor (7-6).....Away - Returns 14 starters. Breaking in new QB. Texas win (Baylor was 4-2 at home last year. 3 home wins were against Northwestern St., KU and SMU.)
Nov 04.....TCU (6-7).....Away - Returning 17 starters. 10 on offense and 7 on defense, including QB. Texas win. Two weeks on the road will be tough. TCU was 2-5 at home last year. Not sure why they couldn't win at home. In fact, D1-AA South Dakota St. was one of their two home wins. Only other home win was ISU.
Nov 11.....Kansas (2-10).....Home - Returns only 12 starters, including QB. Texas wins
Nov 18.....West Virginia (10-3).....Away - lost a ton of talent. Returning only 8 starters. Breaking in new QB. Only 3 returning starters on defense. Texas wins.
Nov 24.....Texas Tech (5-7).....Home - Returns 14 starters. Breaking in new QB. Texas wins. Kliff heads to the unemployment line.

Losses: USC, OU, KSU

I think we start out 3-3 but then win out after OU. Puts Texas at 9-3. Could blow one to TCU or OSU putting us at 8-4. Could end up winning OU or KSU too.
Possible

I'm going to be an optimist as well and say 11/1 for this years Longhorns. The loss will be Southern Cal and everyone on this thread appears to be in agreement on this.

I also predict we will go to the Big XII title game and lose to KSU. And speaking of KSU could this be Bill Snyder's last year? With his age and cancer diagnosis you have to think this is his last season.

We will make one of the Big 6 bowls the Cotton Bowl probably. We will beat the h*** out of someone from the grossly overrated little ten.

Final tally 12/2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT