ADVERTISEMENT

Is Chris Ash the right guy for Texas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is that Texas has plenty of money which should afford them the opportunity to get the biggest and best, to me Ash seems like a 2nd rate choice imo. Seems like Texas should have their pick of the litter

Since when has Texas ever spent outrageous money on coaches? Seems to me that they limit salaries to the going rate, maybe DelConte will be different but I doubt it.

My point is that Texas has plenty of money which should afford them the opportunity to get the biggest and best, to me Ash seems like a 2nd rate choice imo. Seems like Texas should have their pick of the litter

Who?

Also, I don't think this narrative fits. When Mack was able to hire Chizik and then Muschamp, they were winning 10/11 games every year. We are a 7 win team with a coach on the hotseat.

Chris Ash may end up being a terrible hire, but his resume is as good as anyone else Texas can think of hiring.

Reactions: dj701919

Did you think Grinch was a 2nd rate hire, because Ash's resume as a DC is better than Grinch's.

Could you provide us with a list of all the premier DC's we should be choosing from?

Ash represents a change in scheme. His base defense is a 4-3 with quarters coverage. He had JJ Watt at Wisconsin and Joey Bosa at Ohio State on the D-line. He doesn't have anything like that although Coburn is definitely an NFL 1 technique.

Did you think Grinch was a 2nd rate hire, because Ash's resume as a DC is better than Grinch's.

Could you provide us with a list of all the premier DC's we should be choosing from?
Grinch turned Wash. St. around as the sole DC. That’s an offense you’ll se in the Big 12. Ash as a sole DC has been less than impressive and looks like Texas is just grasping. Hell I’d take the guy from ISU or the Baylor DC over Ash. Wisc. Ain’t the Big 12, neither is Rutgers btw.

Also we’re still in the wait and see mode with Grinch. He’s made improvements to the defense but that’s it, we’re not a good defense, just improved. If your AD is willing to pay me a consultant fee I’d me more than happy to provide a list for you. The 2 I named above are freebies.

Grinch turned Wash. St. around as the sole DC. That’s an offense you’ll se in the Big 12. Ash as a sole DC has been less than impressive and looks like Texas is just grasping. Hell I’d take the guy from ISU or the Baylor DC over Ash. Wisc. Ain’t the Big 12, neither is Rutgers btw.

Also we’re still in the wait and see mode with Grinch. He’s made improvements to the defense but that’s it, we’re not a good defense, just improved

Gosh dang it Bell, he did NOT turn around Wazzu defensively. The one year under Grinch Wazzu wasn’t middle of the road they gave up 58 points and 550 yards to Arizona. And the PAC was awful that year, just absolutely dreadful.

Wazzu total D rankings
2015 416 yds per game 6th PAC 12
2016 405 yds per game 7th PAC 12
2017 323 yds per game 2nd PAC 12

Sounds like they made a big Jump on defense. Well the offense got a lot better an holding onto the ball.
2015 5th in TOP
2016 3rd in TOP
2017 2nd in TOP.

How were they at keeping people from Scoring.
2015 they were 7th and gave up 45 TDs
2016 they were 6th and gave up 45 TDs
2017 they were 4th and gave up 41 TDS

How were they in the Red Zone
2015 2nd at 81%
2016 6th at 84%
2017 10th at 87%

Ash represents a change in scheme. His base defense is a 4-3 with quarters coverage. He had JJ Watt at Wisconsin and Joey Bosa at Ohio State on the D-line. He doesn't have anything like that although Coburn is definitely an NFL 1 technique.

While I don't disagree, Wisconsin didn't think JJ Watt was anything special in the beginning.

Gosh dang it Bell, he did NOT turn around Wazzu defensively. The one year under Grinch Wazzu wasn’t middle of the road they gave up 58 points and 550 yards to Arizona. And the PAC was awful that year, just absolutely dreadful.
Well you have to admit he must have been showing enough to get hired at OU and while we aren’t good by any means hes improved our D quite a bit at least statistically speaking.

I will say I’m much more a fan of the 4-3 than the 3-4 but I’d much rather see OU run a true 4-3 and kick the hybrid crap to the curb.

The only way you can run a true 4-3 in the big 12 is if you have a Will backer who can cover a slot receiver. Its much easier to run a 4-2-5 with a nickle playing in a will backer spot.

Also we’re still in the wait and see mode with Grinch. He’s made improvements to the defense but that’s it, we’re not a good defense, just improved. If your AD is willing to pay me a consultant fee I’d me more than happy to provide a list for you. The 2 I named above are freebies.

So, your saying that Grinch was more prepared for the Big 12 because he had to coach against teams like Washington State?

And you don't think Ash is a top rate DC talent like Phil Snow, John Heacock, and Alex Grinch, even though he's the only one to win a NC as a play caller?

So, your saying that Grinch was more prepared for the Big 12 because he had to coach against teams like Washington State?

And you don't think Ash is a top rate DC talent like Phil Snow, John Heacock, and Alex Grinch, even though he's the only one to win a NC as a play caller?

He was a notebook holder Co-DC, you're giving him way too much credit, seriously.
Again, look at how many 20+ point blowouts his team had at Rutgers. I know, I know, he wasn't the DC but uh, you would think he'd be having a big hand in the defense since it was so bad.

Do you realize how bad of a job he must have been doing to get fired halfway through the football year?? I would run like hell or hire him only as a position coach. He's tainted.That's my opinion on the matter.

Last edited:
He was a notebook holder Co-DC, you're giving him way too much credit, seriously.
Again, look at how many 20+ point blowouts his team had at Rutgers. I know, I know, he wasn't the DC but uh, you would think he'd be having a big hand in the defense since it was so bad.

Do you realize how bad of a job he must have been doing to get fired halfway through the football year?? I would run like hell or hire him only as a position coach. He's tainted.That's my opinion on the matter.

He implemented the defense and called the plays. Here you go with revisionist history again.

What in God’s name does him coaching on the same staff as Mike Leach, have to do with anything? He coached WSU, he didn’t coach against them. What Scalley has done at Utah is far more impressive than anything that Grinch did before he went to OU. Ash led a damn good Wisconsin defense, improved Arkie’s defense and led two damn good OSU defenses. And he didn’t hold a notebook, he designed the scheme and called the plays. Would he be a success at Texas? I have no idea. Is his resume much more than what you’re making it out to be? Absolutely

What in God’s name does him coaching on the same staff as Mike Leach, have to do with anything? He coached WSU, he didn’t coach against them. What Scalley has done at Utah is far more impressive than anything that Grinch did before he went to OU. Ash led a damn good Wisconsin defense, improved Arkie’s defense and led two damn good OSU defenses. And he didn’t hold a notebook, he designed the scheme and called the plays. Would he be a success at Texas? I have no idea. Is his resume much more than what you’re making it out to be? Absolutely
Grinch went against Leach's offense everyday in practice? It's really not as hard as you're making it. Look I get it, you're preemptively defending your school's decision to potentially make another bad hire. Fired mid year tells you all you need to know. He needs to go back to being mentored. Seems like Texas is the only one trying to 'outbid' other teams for Ash. How come he hasn't already been snatched up since he's the next Buddy Ryan?

Grinch went against Leach's offense everyday in practice? It's really not as hard as you're making it. Look I get it, you're preemptively defending your school's decision to potentially make another bad hire. Fired mid year tells you all you need to know. He needs to go back to being mentored. Seems like Texas is the only one trying to 'outbid' other teams for Ash. How come he hasn't already been snatched up since he's the next Buddy Ryan?
Yawn. I’m not defending anything, you’re just being over the top negative about a hire that hasn’t even been made. And he probably hasn’t been hired yet because he was acting as an analyst for Herman and the season just ended. Not like he has been out of the game for a year or something.
No one in this conference even runs the Leach offense anymore, outside of Tech. Holgerson is gone and so is Kingsbury. The offenses in this conference now are still wide open, but they pound the rock. Coaches in this league has been copy catting OU and their power spread style since 2008. Riley included.

Yawn. I’m not defending anything, you’re just being over the top negative about a hire that hasn’t even been made. And he probably hasn’t been hired yet because he was acting as an analyst for Herman and the season just ended. Not like he has been out of the game for a year or something.
No one in this conference even runs the Leach offense anymore, outside of Tech. Holgerson is gone and so is Kingsbury. The offenses in this conference now are still wide open, but they pound the rock. Coaches in this league has been copy catting OU and their power spread style since 2008. Riley included.
Really? You've done nothing but defend a potential hire LOL. Riley has perfected the Leach offense by effectively incorporating the power run, Riley is the one everyone is copying and it appears that Herman covets what Riley is doing with his interest in Harrell. Don't recall any NFL interest in Leach or Holgerson do you?You seem pretty misinformed.

Aww you're so thoughtful Belldozer.

Really? You've done nothing but defend a potential hire LOL. Riley has perfected the Leach offense by effectively incorporating the power run, Riley is the one everyone is copying and it appears that Herman covets what Riley is doing with his interest in Harrell. Don't recall any NFL interest in Leach or Holgerson do you?You seem pretty misinformed.
Yes, everyone is copying what OU has been doing and what Art Briles did and neither coach runs the Leach/Mumme Air Raid anymore. This is a Power Spread league, now. And as I said, I am not defending Ash or his potential hire. I am pointing out your flawed thinking

Belldozer you can go on and on about Alex Grinch at WSU but the truth of the matter is that Pac XII offenses suck. Justin Herbert is considered their best qb you watching him tonight? Hurts and Brewer are both better than Herbert. Also I'd take Sam over JH as well and that's not through burnt orange glasses. Kedon Slovis is the Pac XII's only hope for next year.

Last edited:

That never happens. Even at the high school level. His defense went against a scout team consisting of redshirts and walk-ons. The only guy that really did good on good was Pete Carroll but that was 1s vs 2s

Well you have to admit he must have been showing enough to get hired at OU and while we aren’t good by any means hes improved our D quite a bit at least statistically speaking.

I like Grinch. I take issue with your comparison of the two. They’re both incredibly similar. And both were thought highly enough by Meyer.

Ash is a good, not great candidate. But so was Grinch

Reactions: Belldozer1
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT