ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (10 Futurecasts, 7 to Texas)

There were 25-30. Draw a name from a hat.
Yeah I mean it’s like people only focused on a few big names, some of which weren’t realistic for various reasons. However, there are dozens of more qualified coaches that would have jumped at it.

That's crazy. I actually associate that song with Ruben Banda too. Dude must have sang it a lot around the T&C baseball fields. I probably last heard him sing it in 1985.
I was circa 1989. That is wild.

all you say that should have been done likely was done and would have been implemented if Terry had not made the Dance...but that was not the case...

Terry took UT to the Elite 8 which had not been done for almost 15...repeat...almost, 15 years...now say that out loud...UT had not been to the Elite 8 in almost 15 years...and then say, thanks Terry for taking us the Elite 8 which neither Barnes did not do it his last 7 years, Smart never did it in his 6 years and Beard did not do it during his first 2 years...and thanks for all the hard work, of getting us through that Beard bad BS where we all looked so terribly, but we decided to kick the tires a month or so to see who else is better and more deserving out there and let you know if you still have a job...but don't go anywhere else cuz we...might...hire you...or maybe even give you your old spot back as top assistant coach, if he wants you, to help with the transition...thanks again ole pal...have a good day and how 'bout a Fresca....

At which time all the national media would say, UT is crazy to not hand this man the HC job which he clearly earned...he saved CDC's bacon and accomplished what 3 other HCs at UT could not due for ALMOST 15 YEARS. Austin was in a meltdown after Beard was arrested and all over the national news...it was shit-storm. Wow what a black eye for the program. And this is how they award the man. They did not fire that white wife-beater immediately but then this well-loved, loyal black man steps in and saves the day, they pat him on the head and tell him to have a seat, that this job might be too big for you...maybe there was some fire along with that smoke 2 years before about the Eyes of Texas racial stuff...you know UT was the last all-white NC in football...etc, etc...

you must not understand how badly CDC wanted the Beard BS to be never mentioned again...and how was the easiest way to do that...hire Terry...who had also just taken UT to the Elite 8 for the first time in almost 15 YEARS...did you know that...lol.

Also, CDC never wants any reason to suggest any racial discrimination especially after the Eyes debacle.

Now having said all that, what advice would you have given CDC on how to close the Beard door after the season and dodge the potential racial issues that stalling Terry to look at other HCs would have caused?

I look forward to your answer.....
Nothing I said should have been done was done.

Thanks for giving Hank his due with a stellar top 10 list. So many to choose from.
Dad was a Hank Williams fan, so I was lucky enough to get to hear his music.

"My tubes and tires are doing fine, but the air is showing through"...
"Dress up in your frock of yeller, I'll look swell but you'll look sweller"...

Reactions: Ketchum
Dad was a Hank Williams fan, so I was lucky enough to get to hear his music.

"My tubes and tires are doing fine, but the air is showing through"...
"Dress up in your frock of yeller, I'll look swell but you'll look sweller"...
It was my gramdmother who got me into Hank.

all you say that should have been done likely was done and would have been implemented if Terry had not made the Dance...but that was not the case...

@TexLex

The thing I said needed to be done needed to be done months before the dance. His making the dance shouldn't have impacted any of that.

Terry took UT to the Elite 8 which had not been done for almost 15...repeat...almost, 15 years...now say that out loud...UT had not been to the Elite 8 in almost 15 years...and then say, thanks Terry for taking us the Elite 8 which neither Barnes did not do it his last 7 years, Smart never did it in his 6 years and Beard did not do it during his first 2 years...and thanks for all the hard work, of getting us through that Beard bad BS where we all looked so terribly, but we decided to kick the tires a month or so to see who else is better and more deserving out there and let you know if you still have a job...but don't go anywhere else cuz we...might...hire you...or maybe even give you your old spot back as top assistant coach, if he wants you, to help with the transition...thanks again ole pal...have a good day and how 'bout a Fresca....

Terry's work last year was great. It's not what the job he was given was requiring him to do, though.

He was a good bus driver, he has never been a good bus maker.

At which time all the national media would say, UT is crazy to not hand this man the HC job which he clearly earned...he saved CDC's bacon and accomplished what 3 other HCs at UT could not due for ALMOST 15 YEARS. Austin was in a meltdown after Beard was arrested and all over the national news...it was shit-storm. Wow what a black eye for the program. And this is how they award the man. They did not fire that white wife-beater immediately but then this well-loved, loyal black man steps in and saves the day, they pat him on the head and tell him to have a seat, that this job might be too big for you...maybe there was some fire along with that smoke 2 years before about the Eyes of Texas racial stuff...you know UT was the last all-white NC in football...etc, etc...
The national media doesn't care enough ab out Texas basketball to pay more than 24 hours of attention to it. See how it handled Chris Beard's arrest.

you must not understand how badly CDC wanted the Beard BS to be never mentioned again...and how was the easiest way to do that...hire Terry...who had also just taken UT to the Elite 8 for the first time in almost 15 YEARS...did you know that...lol.

So, take the easiest path because.... it was easiest? Is that what good leaders do?

lol, indeed.

Also, CDC never wants any reason to suggest any racial discrimination especially after the Eyes debacle.

Now having said all that, what advice would you have given CDC on how to close the Beard door after the season and dodge the potential racial issues that stalling Terry to look at other HCs would have caused?

Be a great leader and do what's best for the university, not what's easiest and the least tricky.

That's how you avoid being where you are right now.

There was literally zero market for Terry. Where do you think he would be right now if not hired by Texas? No one is and was ever going to line up to hire him to be theit head coach.

I'm amazed at how hard some people try to make CDC's job to be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT