ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend ("a 1,000 on a 1-100 scale.")

Condor, Candidate, and Downhill Racer all should be well within the Top 10. Jeremiah Johnson had an outsized impact on my formative years:
A mountain man’s a lonely man​
And he leaves a life behind​
It ought to have been different, but often times you’ll find,
That the story doesn’t always go that way you had in mind.
And Jeremiah’s story was that kind. . .​
Jeremiah’s story was that kind.​
The way that you wander is the way that you choose,​
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.​
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.​
Where the fair wind blows . . .​
I watched them all this week. I wanted to squeeze 5 more into the top 10, which is why I listed last 5 out from the honorable mention.

It may not be terrible, but it’s a different sport than the NBA…slow, unforced errors/turnovers galore, inconsistent offensive flow, and lackluster defense. Clark is good, but she won’t change the reality of what women’s basketball is.

And this comes from me…a father who watched his youngest daughter play the sport from pre-school through high school. I loved watching her play, but the game itself was like watching paint dry or hearing nails on a chalkboard. 🤷🏼‍♂️
The thing is... they had 12 teams instead of 30. It means that more good players are playing together. It's the best 144 players in the world. The games are competitive and the shot making away from the rim is typically really good.

All of the things people say are missing from men's hoops from the past can be found in the WNBA. They just play below the rim.

One of the greatest unsung movie lines ever, was the last line of The Candidate when upon election,McKay ( Redford) says….”what do we do now?” So applicable with all politicians even today….none of them know how to govern,..only how to get and stay in office
Totally agree.

Watching it in a theater would change your mind IMO. On a television set the grandeur is reduced to average. In the big screen you are in the airplane. And the attraction between the two protagonists is palpable.

There's very little character development for his part in that movie, so much so that it's not really his movie. It's Streep's movie by a mile.

Reactions: I Hear Voices
Rory choked. It's all right to say it. Lee Trevino said "We all leak oil down the stretch." Dechambeau leaked some, Rory one more.

I don't want to be over the top in my reaction, but that was the kind of collapse that will kill some guys forever.

I can’t help but think of The Last Castle when I think of Robert Redford. It would be in my top 10 for him.
Of all the movies he's made, that's the one you think of?

If we're talking prison movies, doesn't it have to be Brubaker?

For B to be true, it means that either Del Conte was caught unprepared for the moment or we were left at the alter. The former doesn’t seem possible while the latter is possible but unlikely. If Bakich is the floor for possible hires, I can’t imagine a scenario where if we wanted him Coach Bakich wouldn’t leave Clemson for a 40-50% raise, as he is making less than $900k this year. If we haven’t hired Bakich and it isn’t just procedural delay, the natural implication is that there is mutual interest or more established with another candidate still coaching. At this point if B was likely, I don’t think we’d be seeing Pierce still twisting in the wind.

As always, good write up Geoff. Hope you and the family had a great Father’s Day!
I tend to agree. Thanks for the kind words!

Reactions: LonghornLeghorn
What did you think about Condor?

It was very good. I didn't understand the forced romance between him and Dunaway. I suppose back then the movies producers felt like there needed to be romance to make it a crossover movie, but I just didn't get it.

Hell, she has a love interest when the movie starts and she just mentally kicked that dude to the curb so that she could make love to her kidnapper?

Condor was so good it got a sequel 40 years later and a mini-series 45 years later. My personal favorite but I love spy movies. Spy Games also in my top 10.
Some great movies had to be left off.

Condor was so good it got a sequel 40 years later and a mini-series 45 years later. My personal favorite but I love spy movies. Spy Games also in my top 10.
Some great movies had to be left off.
You have a type. ;)

Goat baseball movie is difficult.

On one hand, as a mid 30's adult, nostalgia plays a huge part (Sandlot, Rookie of the year, Little big league) and I have no idea if they all hold up, besides Sandlot, Sandlot does.

10-Little big league
9-Rookie of the year
8-Major league 2
7-The Natural
6- Moneyball-Not really mentioning their 3!!!! Cy Young level pitchers is crazy, plus Tejada and Chavez, they had like 4 MVP level guys and the new additions got all the love.
5-Everybody wants some
4-Bull Durham
3- Sandlot
2- Field of Dreams
1-Major League 1

Goat baseball movie is difficult.

On one hand, as a mid 30's adult, nostalgia plays a huge part (Sandlot, Rookie of the year, Little big league) and I have no idea if they all hold up, besides Sandlot, Sandlot does.

10-Little big league
9-Rookie of the year
8-Major league 2
7-The Natural
6- Moneyball-Not really mentioning their 3!!!! Cy Young level pitchers is crazy, plus Tejada and Chavez, they had like 4 MVP level guys and the new additions got all the love.
5-Everybody wants some
4-Bull Durham
3- Sandlot
2- Field of Dreams
1-Major League 1

No Bad News bears feels like a massive omission.

Reactions: longhornbeto
Option B on the baseball coaching news. Let the full on pissing of pants commence ;)
If B happens, Sark could win a natty and OB would still want to fire CDC.

In CDC I trust, but slowly all HR hires seem to be coming off the table. If it is not Bakich, I'm not sure who it will be. I'm still hoping for Schloss, but I cannot imagine that happening.

BTW, 'full on' when describing pants pissing, comes up as hyphen-ated word. The next time I predict a full-on pants pissing, I must remember that.

Yes I do. Great list though. I’ve always thought Redford would be the hardest to pick just 10 because some great ones had to be left off. More great movies than Newman.

It was definitely tough on the last few spots. I had about 7 movies for the last couple.

Honorable Mention: Our Souls at Night (2017), Downhill Racer (1969), The Old Man and The Gun (2018), Up Close and Personal (1996), Indecent Proposal (1994), The Great Waldo Pepper (1975) and Spy Game (2001)

10. The Horse Whisperer (1998)

A personal one for me has to sneak into the top 10. The first 15 minutes of this movie are impossible to watch, but the next two hours has everything that I want in a movie ... beautiful scenery, a love story, people searching their souls to heal their wounds and a gorgeous animal that makes me cry. Redford + Chris Cooper + Sam Neill + Kristin Scott Thomas + Dianne West + a young ScarJo... are you kidding me? Plus, I'd argue that Pilgrim gives the best acting performance by an animal in any movie ever made.

9. Sneakers (1992)

I had no idea that the first Mission Impossible movie stole so much from this movie.

8. Barefoot in the Park (1967)

It's a Neil Simon play brought to the big screen and neatly half a century later it's a weird, frolicking good time.

7. The Way We Were (1973)

I hate the ending, but Redford and Barbra Streisand had the kind of chemistry that had me rooting for their romance to make it.

6. Jeremiah Johnson (1972)

I now understand this meme. I used to think this was Zach Falifianakis

Robert Redford Yes GIF by GritTV

5. The Chase (1966)

This is a wild one. It's got Brando being Brando. Young Jane Fonda and Angie Dickinson. Hell, there's even a young Robert Duvall. There are wild parties in small town Texas in the 1960s. Wives and husbands are trading each other around. Murderous mobs. I was buzzing after watching this one this week.

4. The Natural (1984)

I have friends that believe this is the goat baseball movie.

3. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1967)

I didn't say this last week, but Redford gives the real superstar performance in this classic.

2. All The President’s Men (1976)

In a re-vote, I wonder if this wins Best Picture over Rocky?

1. The Sting (1973)

The No. 1 film for both Newman and Redford, which speaks to the perfection of the movie.

First off, you could make an argument for any of your top 3 to be number one.

The lack of love for the Electric Cowboy is shocking! - Redford, Jane Fonda, Willi Nelson and my favorite director Sydney Pollack . Thiis is an underrated film, give it a re-watch.

Reactions: longhornms
First off, you could make an argument for any of your top 3 to be number one.

The lack of love for the Electric Cowboy is shocking! - Redford, Jane Fonda, Willi Nelson and my favorite director Sydney Pollack . Thiis is an underrated film, give it a re-watch.
I actually haven't seen it. I watched 14 Redford movies this week. It didn't rank high enough to get on my radar.

Reactions: johnnystranger
If B happens, Sark could win a natty and OB would still want to fire CDC.

In CDC I trust, but slowly all HR hires seem to be coming off the table. If it is not Bakich, I'm not sure who it will be. I'm still hoping for Schloss, but I cannot imagine that happening.

BTW, 'full on' when describing pants pissing, comes up as hyphen-ated word. The next time I predict a full-on pants pissing, I must remember that.
51dadcd6-ba4b-4b8c-80af-777189e7b1a7_text.gif

• Love
Reactions: Ketchum
I doubt he does. I was just showing his many decades long, multi-team collegiate career was finally over.

P.S. Three Days of the Condor is way too low.
You never know. He might make the practice squad, stick around for a year and find his way on to the roster. Baylor Cupp is also on the Chiefs 80-man roster.

It was very good. I didn't understand the forced romance between him and Dunaway. I suppose back then the movies producers felt like there needed to be romance to make it a crossover movie, but I just didn't get it.

Hell, she has a love interest when the movie starts and she just mentally kicked that dude to the curb so that she could make love to her kidnapper?
It was the ‘70s after all. ;)

Watch it a second time and I’ll bet you’ll appreciate it even more. Max Von Sydow (Joubert) was fantastic in his role.

Reactions: longhornms
I actually haven't seen it. I watched 14 Redford movies this week. It didn't rank high enough to get on my radar.
If you have not OD'd yet watch the Twilight Zone episode, Nothing In the Dark, from 1962 that Robert Redford was in.

Reactions: Ketchum
I tend to agree.

There are varying opinions on just what Pierce has been told, though. I've been told his assistants have been told nothing.
I'm assuming DP is still out there trying to recruit (especially portal) and keeping what he still has together?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT