ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A burnt orange kind of weekend)

How about basic living and health conditions?
I think you stop young black men from killing each other first. You can worry about other stuff later. Not all of these folks come from a place with poor living conditions. Maybe not what you're used too, but not reason enough to be killing each other. Btw, why aren't many of these folks in "government paid" housing living in conditions that are okay for basic health and living?

When did "basic health and living conditions" do a drive by on a holiday weekend, killing 15 and wounding 70?

Last edited:
Investing in now and helping Romo now means making that defense better. Can't win a Super Bowl right now without an elite defense and Dallas is far from elite.

I just don't see how people don't understand at this point. Romo is this team. It will take years to make this an elite defense, and they don't have that much time with Romo. They've invested more than enough in pass rush the last couple of years. The 2014 model was the answer. That was a really good team that was good enough to win the conference without an elite defense. The Denver / Baltimore examples are outliers, not standards.

Reactions: HuffTex
I think you stop young black men from killing each other first. You can worry about other stuff later.
It doesn't have to be one or the other. From schools to health clinics to a number of basic rights, that community doesn't need to be on just one thing at a time.

On top of that, focus is needed on more than just things that a group of non-blacks can point to and pretend to not have any hand in what's happening.

You'll excuse me if, "We'll get to that other stuff as soon as blacks stop killing each other" isn't a line I'm going to buy. It's sloppy, faulty thinking.

I dont think many understand the Oscars issue as it applies to black people or any color for that matter...

The academy has been until very recently 74% white males....

thats the issue not the fact that this movie or that movie did or didnt get nominated....

change the academy to reflect the world around it and none of us have to hear all this bs

Reactions: Dogged Horn
I just don't see how people don't understand at this point. Romo is this team. It will take years to make this an elite defense, and they don't have that much time with Romo. They've invested more than enough in pass rush the last couple of years. The 2014 model was the answer. That was a really good team that was good enough to win the conference without an elite defense. The Denver / Baltimore examples are outliers, not standards.
Then they have no shot at all. We're just wasting time.

I dont think many understand the Oscars issue as it applies to black people or any color for that matter...

The academy has been until very recently 74% white males....

thats the issue not the fact that this movie or that movie did or didnt get nominated....

change the academy to reflect the world around it and none of us have to hear all this bs
That's just part of the institutional racism in play. The movie studios are as much to blame as anyone because they don't make movies or give parts out to black people very often that don't go beyond stereotypes or basic roles.

It's like when the discussion of Idris Elba of being "too street" to play Bond was in full force. What's really being said there happens far too often inside the industry.

It's a pretty messed up system that spills all the way down to audiences.

Reactions: mercedestigers
Good stuff Ketch. Hopefully this year's recruiting carries over to the future. At least we have a new offense that should attract certain types of players. The only way to go is up.

Reactions: Dogged Horn
It doesn't have to be one or the other. From schools to health clinics to a number of basic rights, that community doesn't need to be on just one thing at a time.

On top of that, focus is needed on more than just things that a group of non-blacks can point to and pretend to not have any hand in what's happening.

You'll excuse me if, "We'll get to that other stuff as soon as blacks stop killing each other" isn't a line I'm going to buy. It's sloppy, faulty thinking.
WRONG. You stop folks from killing people FIRST. I don't need to be black to point out that idiocy. Tell me how the poverty on the south side of Chicago is worse than in the Appalachians. Tell me how it's worse than folks in the Southmost section of Brownsville who have dirt floors and have to stay at a shelter every time it rains. No, you STOP the killing FIRST. Every time. Why don't you come up with the reasons those folks are killing each other, social warrior? Funny how poor people all over this country aren't doing the same thing, many times in the face of even more squalor. Wow, watch out America....here come migrant workers....they can't stop their propensity to be violent...oh...wait....they can.

Sorry, completely ridiculous, although heartfelt, take by you.

Entirely possible.
This is probably the truth, but IMO we have to make as much of a commitment as possible.

Other than quarterback, which I believe they'll pass on, I don't know where they'd go on offense at that point that gives proper value.

This is probably the truth, but IMO we have to make as much of a commitment as possible.

Other than quarterback, which I believe they'll pass on, I don't know where they'd go on offense at that point that gives proper value.

Pretty sure even they don't know what they're going to do, so who knows. If they don't go QB at #4, I keep coming back to a trade down and maybe Treadwell later in the first. Pick up an extra third or something. Either way, hopefully they have a much greater sense of urgency than they're letting on.

Mad Max winning what it did wasn't surprising. The sound, technology, sets, etc., were all top notch. I knew it wasn't going to win the major awards, but it sure cleaned up on the tier 2s.

What about Myles Jack on defense? They're saying he can play every LB spot and even SS.....

Fun Oscar facts about Revenant: shot all in natural light (sun, fire and moonlight) - they had one hour per day of daylight to shoot and 23 hours to prep for the next day. The Cinematographer who won for Revenant also won the last 2 years for Gravity and Birdman - never done before to go 3 years in a row.

RE: EW&F - In the Stone has to be one of the top 10 songs. Has to be.

i-know-nothing-apperantly-1.gif

well - you know nothing about the 6 nation Rugby tournament - apparently - otherwise, seemed like a very thorough report on the Sports and stuff

Really fun weekend. It reminds me of one of the reasons I chose Texas. To be amongst the baddest of the bad. Beat KU!

CB early first for Dallas brings back some bad memories. I can't see that again. If it's defense it'll be a DL, but I think they need to grab Wentz. The dude's a freak and a boss. It's time to stop dicking around.

That was the fight where we all got to see if Silva was really gonna make another run at a title or whether he's just cashing checks. I'm satisfied that I've seen the end of Silva as we knew him. He's just tarnishing his legacy moving forward.

Otoh, good for Michael Bisping. That was the moment he needed/wanted to punctuate his career, which has been a damn good one without any gold.

Bring on UFC 196, even if it's the tasty-o's version rather than Cheerios.

Still can't believe KD fouled Iguadoloa right before regulation ended.
Very good EWF list.

- Shaka has made everyone into a believer. No excuses. Just gets the job done.

- Junior Day with Strong is like taking a woman out on a nice date, but not stressing about her dating other guys because he knows they will come back in the end.

- Time for Terence Crawford to step up in competition. I want to see him fight your boy, Adrien Bronner.

- Cowboys need to avoid any guys with red flags this offseason. There really wasn't a payoff for their risky decisions last year.

- Best case scenario, Texas names a starting QB after the spring game. I think Gilbert needs to find a guy he can pour into this offseason.

Reactions: Jack87
WRONG. You stop folks from killing people FIRST. I don't need to be black to point out that idiocy. Tell me how the poverty on the south side of Chicago is worse than in the Appalachians. Tell me how it's worse than folks in the Southmost section of Brownsville who have dirt floors and have to stay at a shelter every time it rains. No, you STOP the killing FIRST. Every time. Why don't you come up with the reasons those folks are killing each other, social warrior? Funny how poor people all over this country aren't doing the same thing, many times in the face of even more squalor. Wow, watch out America....here come migrant workers....they can't stop their propensity to be violent...oh...wait....they can.

Sorry, completely ridiculous, although heartfelt, take by you.
k

Glad to see Leo win, not glad to hear his constant drivel opinion concerning global warming. And then he had to make himself look completely stupid with the comment about snow. Especially since 2014 saw record amounts of snow in many locations across the United States; however, like most, when it comes to global warming, they think claiming any opinion should be fact no matter the truth. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, same old crap. Leo, just thank the people about your award or make comments concerning the award, IOW, "just the facts." One more note, many Hollywood reports say a lot of the delay with filming and location were due to crew problems.

Pretty sure even they don't know what they're going to do, so who knows. If they don't go QB at #4, I keep coming back to a trade down and maybe Treadwell later in the first. Pick up an extra third or something. Either way, hopefully they have a much greater sense of urgency than they're letting on.
Yes, the possibility of a trade-down is absolutely on the table, but if there's a guy you think has future all-pro upside at four, you take him and don't get cute.

Mad Max winning what it did wasn't surprising. The sound, technology, sets, etc., were all top notch. I knew it wasn't going to win the major awards, but it sure cleaned up on the tier 2s.
I've tried telling people this for months and they looked at me like I had a third eyeball.

What about Myles Jack on defense? They're saying he can play every LB spot and even SS.....
Dallas has never really valued either of those positions at the top of its drafting, at least not since the Roy Williams draft.

Really fun weekend. It reminds me of one of the reasons I chose Texas. To be amongst the baddest of the bad. Beat KU!

CB early first for Dallas brings back some bad memories. I can't see that again. If it's defense it'll be a DL, but I think they need to grab Wentz. The dude's a freak and a boss. It's time to stop dicking around.

That was the fight where we all got to see if Silva was really gonna make another run at a title or whether he's just cashing checks. I'm satisfied that I've seen the end of Silva as we knew him. He's just tarnishing his legacy moving forward.

Otoh, good for Michael Bisping. That was the moment he needed/wanted to punctuate his career, which has been a damn good one without any gold.

Bring on UFC 196, even if it's the tasty-o's version rather than Cheerios.
I tend to think DL as well.

Agree 100-percent about Silva, but I think he's fine with cashing checks. Bills have to be paid. It'll be sad to watch. I mean... he just lost to Bisping.

Good for Bisping.

Would like to see the Cowboys trade out of the #4 pick, hopefully for an additional #1 in the 2017 draft and maybe an extra #2 in this years draft. Jones need to get better at signing free agent QBs. They need help at too may other positions.

- Shaka has made everyone into a believer. No excuses. Just gets the job done.

- Junior Day with Strong is like taking a woman out on a nice date, but not stressing about her dating other guys because he knows they will come back in the end.

- Time for Terence Crawford to step up in competition. I want to see him fight your boy, Adrien Bronner.

- Cowboys need to avoid any guys with red flags this offseason. There really wasn't a payoff for their risky decisions last year.

- Best case scenario, Texas names a starting QB after the spring game. I think Gilbert needs to find a guy he can pour into this offseason.
a. Shaka is the real deal. The thing that's most underrated is that he makes his team better in games. After watching Rick Barnes teams come out of huddles with zero made adjustments, it's refreshing to see a guy have something fresh for his team every time he huddles with them. I'm perfectly fine with him calling time outs and designing something.

b. I really don't think he likes to babysit kids, but it's not like he can say outloud that he doesn't like commitments.

c. He'll f Broner up.

d. Take the sure thing at No.4 if he's there. Jalen Ramsley feels like a multi-time all-pro waiting to happen. He coud be Dallas' version of Earl Thomas.

e. I don't know how you decide on a guy with this group with 15 practices.

ADVERTISEMENT