ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A burnt orange kind of weekend)

No way in hell on any level that The Revenant was not the best film of the year. None!

I thought The Revenant was the best by a hair over Spotlight. I had no problem with the winner chosen, sort of like when The King's speech beat out a slightly superior Black Swan IMO.

I think Collin Johnson is almost guaranteed to be a starter game one. That mean that one more needs to find a way for this to be a buy. I don't think it will happen but I think you aren't being realistic to give it such an emphatic of a no way. It is a real possibility.
Shackelford at center? It's possible.

As for the "racial component" at The Oscars? Pfffffttt....get back to me when Hollywood is on the streets of the South side of Chicago protesting the black on black genocide taking place there. Or 10 other major urban areas. At least Jada Pinkett Smith got to be momentarily relevant again.....buh-bye!

Reactions: bigG78
The days of hate-watching Texas basketball are over
Amen! Forget W-L, this team is finally fun to watch. Barnes' teams had nearly soured me on watching ANY college hoops - it was just soul-sucking.

BUY or SELL: In two more years, both Mack Brown and DeLoss Dodds will be completely rehabilitated in the hearts and minds of Texas fans?

(Sell) I think the mainstream fans will have moved on by then, but if the football program is still chasing its tail at the end of the 2017 season, there will be a lot of die-hards with long memories.
You are correct. DeLoss in particular will be on my s#!t list for at least another decade - everything bad about our conference situation falls squarely in his lap.

I need to go back and watch Bridge of Spies, but even though Rylancenwas excellent, I don't remember him being on screen very much. Has a supporting actor won with less screen time?

As for the "racial component" at The Oscars? Pfffffttt....get back to me when Hollywood is on the streets of the South side of Chicago protesting the black on black genocide taking place there. Or 10 other major urban areas. At least Jada Pinkett Smith got to be momentarily relevant again.....buh-bye!

Or the obvious Boo at QB. Could also see Brandon Jones at Safety.... But to Ketch's point I'm guessing. That's a tall order in the first game vs ND. Now if the question was 2 true freshman starting by mid Season? That's almost a gimme seems to me.

"… Guys, Dallas is not drafting a quarterback with the No. 4 pick in the draft. Honestly, we should probably stop talking about it because when Jerry Jones says that he expects Tony Romo to play until 2020, he means it. These are the three names I’m keeping an eye on - Ohio State defensive lineman Joey Bosa, Oregon defensive lineman DeForest Buckner and Florida State cornerback Jalen Ramsey. All three fill monster needs.

It's difficult to know just how much of Jerry Jones' motor mouth commentary to take seriously at this point. It's pretty clear that things have changed in the draft "war" room from 15 years ago, but that doesn't mean people that know what they're doing are calling the shots, of course.

They have a choice to make with a draft pick this high. Try to win now by getting Romo some help on his side of the ball to team with Bryant, or throw the "Romo window" in the trash can. You don't take a defensive player at #4, especially a lineman. A CB will probably take three years to acclimate to the league, so that doesn't really help you much now, either.

All three players you listed were great college players, but the Cowboys should start every draft with two rules they never break. No LSU or Ohio State defensive players in the first round. Ever. And some teams have the luxury of balancing current need with building for the future, but with the Cowboys depth and salary cap problems, they aren't one of them. They need to make a choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: williejam
Ketch I think you nailed the feeling on Saturday after the basketball game. I haven't felt that adrenaline rush over UT sports, and UT b-ball, in a long long time. Can I still walk on for Shaka, forty years after the fact? Just askin'.

Or the obvious Boo at QB. Could also see Brandon Jones at Safety.... But to Ketch's point I'm guessing. That's a tall order in the first game vs ND. Now if the question was 2 true freshman starting by mid Season? That's almost a gimme seems to me.
I thought it was 2 freshmen on offense...but, to your point, I could easily see B. Jones pulling down major minutes by midseason, if not starting.

Ketch who is the one freshman you see stating against ND? I mean there has to be at least one of those top 11 class guys starting. My guess is Collin.
On offense? I don't see any, at least not by game No.1.

Did you even watch the fight?
Yes, he's now fighting against guys that aren't true contenders and losing those fights. Close loss on Saturday, but he's fighting for checks at this point.

I think Collin Johnson is almost guaranteed to be a starter game one. That mean that one more needs to find a way for this to be a buy. I don't think it will happen but I think you aren't being realistic to give it such an emphatic of a no way. It is a real possibility.
Guaranteed?

What on earth would "guarantee" it at this point. It's a position with a massive logjam and he hasn't so much as taken a snap at practice.

Don't get me wrong, he could emerge as a starter, but I think that's a little too strong IMO.

Hey @Ketchum - the six nation rugby tournament is underway, I'm surprised you didn't give us an update in the 10 thoughts.
i-know-nothing-apperantly-1.gif

a. I almost find it impossible to believe he's ready to play or will be ready to play by this season,. he needs a redshirt badly IMO.

b. Interesting that of all the things that you think should be protested in South Chicago, you chose to list black genocide.

I need to go back and watch Bridge of Spies, but even though Rylancenwas excellent, I don't remember him being on screen very much. Has a supporting actor won with less screen time?
He was on screen quite a bit. Pretty much a central figure in the movie.

I think Judi Dench has the least amount of screen time for a winner in Shakespeare in Love.

They have a choice to make with a draft pick this high. Try to win now by getting Romo some help on his side of the ball to team with Bryant, or throw the "Romo window" in the trash can. You don't take a defensive player at #4, especially a lineman. A CB will probably take three years to acclimate to the league, so that doesn't really help you much now, either.
a. They are purely in win-now mode.
b. Yes, you take a defensive player at No.4.
c. Ramsey is the best corner and safety in the draft. An instant impact player. Not sure why you think it takes three years.

a. They are purely in win-now mode.
b. Yes, you take a defensive player at No.4.
c. Ramsey is the best corner and safety in the draft. An instant impact player. Not sure why you think it takes three years.

Winning now means helping Romo directly, meaning an offensive skill player, not defense. He's got an old TE, a Dez nobody knows about in terms of health, spares at RB, and an OL that is below average at pass protect (check FO for the numbers). If they go defense (which would be a choice to move on from Romo whether they know it or not), trade down.

Not sure if it was SmartFootball.com or where I read it, but on average it takes really good corners until year 4 before they are able to reach their potential. They don't have that much time in the Romo era and they obviously have deficiencies scouting CBs. The Cowboys can play to win media draft grades or decide to help their team win now. Choosing the "best player available" isn't a luxury they currently have, for several reasons.

The only other smart option is to actually invest at QB in the first round for the first time in a quarter century.

a. I almost find it impossible to believe he's ready to play or will be ready to play by this season,. he needs a redshirt badly IMO.

b. Interesting that of all the things that you think should be protested in South Chicago, you chose to list black genocide.
Which would you place above it?

Winning now means helping Romo directly, meaning an offensive skill player, not defense. He's got an old TE, a Dez nobody knows about in terms of health, spares at RB, and an OL that is below average at pass protect (check FO for the numbers). If they go defense (which would be a choice to move on from Romo whether they know it or not), trade down.

Not sure if it was SmartFootball.com or where I read it, but on average it takes really good corners until year 4 before they are able to reach their potential. They don't have that much time in the Romo era and they obviously have deficiencies scouting CBs. The Cowboys can play to win media draft grades or decide to help their team win now. Choosing the "best player available" isn't a luxury they currently have, for several reasons.

The only other smart option is to actually invest at QB in the first round for the first time in a quarter century.
Investing in now and helping Romo now means making that defense better. Can't win a Super Bowl right now without an elite defense and Dallas is far from elite.

Reactions: cordpetee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT