ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A burnt orange kind of weekend)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
smart-shaka-031815-getty-ftrjpg_1aaq118cvkqb31r1515ibqsxu3.jpg

What. A. Weekend.

In the aftermath of a six-day window from last Friday through this past Thursday that watched Texas head coach Charlie Strong surprisingly take center stage as a pawn in an ugly divorce war several states over, the collective burnt orange nation didn’t so much as need a hug as much as it needed something to occur to remind itself why it invests so much emotionally.

For all its history, tradition and bank vaults full of money, far too often there’s not enough appreciation for the anguish train that Orangebloods everywhere have been riding since the night Colt McCoy got hurt against Alabama and a national championship opportunity washed away inside the walls of the Rose Bowl.

Since that night, the football program dissolved into a shell of its former self, the men’s basketball program failed to break free from the chains of annual free-falls and the baseball program seemed to be swallowed whole by the standards created from previous success.

Things have been so rough in Austin since the beginning of 2010 that I wrote a column comparing the hard turn into the college sports world embankment to the movie Boogie Nights, with none other than Mack Brown starring in the role as Dirk Diggler.

Well, that was THREE years ago. Little did I know then that the worst of it all was yet to come, as the Longhorn athletic program suffered through the Mack Brown and Rick Barnes swansongs, the gutting of two different athletic directors, lawsuits, regent clown shows and more losses than any of the bankers at the school’s many vaults can count.

It’s exhausting simply typing all of that out, let alone living and dying through each event, one at a time … day by day … week by week … year by year.

Former Major League Baseball player Mark Grace would suggest that the Texas athletic department needs a slump-buster, but I have to believe that Texas fans would merely prefer to have more days like the one it enjoyed on Saturday, a day that included the following events:

The upstart men’s basketball program blew the doors off of No. 3 Oklahoma with a 22-0 run in the closing minutes of the second half in front of one of the most lively crowds in the Erwin Center’s history.

Later in the day, the women’s basketball team moved its record to 26-2 with a win over TCU at the Erwin Center.

The baseball team smoked Stanford 9-0 behind a two-hit shutout from senior Ty Culbreth, who hails from Bryan, Texas (of all places).

The women’s track program won its third straight indoor Big 12 title, while the men finished second, coming in second by 1.5 points to Oklahoma State.

The men’s swimming and diving team captured its 37th consecutive conference title and 20th straight Big 12 title.

The women’s swimming and diving team swept every event in taking home its second-straight Big 12 championship.

Senior Ryan Crouser tied the collegiate record and set a new Big 12 mark in the men’s shot put with a heave of 21.73 meters (71-3.50 feet), while also becoming the first Big 12 male student-athlete to win the Big 12 Conference Championship in an indoor/outdoor event eight times since Missouri's Derrick Peterson swept the 800 meters from 1997-2000.

The men’s No. 26 tennis team shocked No. 5 Wake Forest 4-3 on the road in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

While all of that was going on, the Texas football program was hosting its first Junior Day, playing host to numerous critical 2017 recruiting targets, including five-star defensive back Jeffrey Okudah, near five-star linebacker Baron Browning and top offensive line target Grayson Reed, among others. Things went well enough over the span of a few hours that Reed was proclaiming the Longhorns as his leader, while Browning let loose with a #LetsRide on Twitter.

Without giving into hyperbole, it’s hard to imagine that there have been many Saturdays better than that the one that took place for University of Texas athletics this weekend, especially since that night when McCoy walked off the Rose Bowl turf for the final time in a Longhorns uniform.

I don’t know if Saturday translates to a slump-buster for an athletic department trying to reverse its half-decade-plus run of negative mojo, but there aren’t enough towers in the Lone Star State to light up in burnt orange for all of the winning that took place.

For one day, the University of Texas was exactly the Goliath that it is supposed to be.

For the sake of most of you reading this, here’s hoping there’s more where that came from.

No. 2 – Shaka, Shaka Shaka, can't you see. Sometimes your teams just hypnotize me …

For much of Saturday’s game, the Texas Longhorns performed like a very good team playing against another team that was just a notch above it.

For the first seven TV timeouts of the game, Oklahoma held a lead that usually ranked between 1-4 points and it seemed like the Sooners would run the lead up to around seven, only to see the Longhorns claw their way back to within a point or two. Back and forth the game went like this for more than 30 minutes, with the Sooners answering every single charge presented from Shaka Smart’s troops.

With 7:33 left in the game, Oklahoma all-American Buddy Hield knocked down a jumper to once again balloon the lead back to seven points and everyone watching was likely thinking the same thing - Texas just isn’t going to get over the hump against Oklahoma on a day when the Sooners connected on 10 three-point shots and receive a game-high 33 points from their best player.

And then it happened.

Years from now, all we’ll have to say is, “Do you remember The Run against the Sooners?”

And everyone will know exactly what you’re referring to, as the 22-0 surge over the course of the next seven minutes following Hield’s bucket that made it 58-51 will forever define Smart’s impact on this program in his first season.

Oh, it started slow with a lay-up from Isaiah Taylor and didn’t really start to reach overdrive until Connor Lammert knocked down a three-point shot to cut the lead to 58-57. A couple of free throws by Taylor and a tip-in from Prince Ibeh put the Longhorns up 61-58, and it was time to hide the Oklahoma women and children.

Once it was over, the Longhorns had the defining win in a season that has seemingly had several of them and it occurred in front of an Erwin Center crowd that was lively enough throughout that you couldn’t help but want to bottle up the crowd energy for future nights.

It’s not that the Longhorns have a good basketball team in 2016 that matters. What matters is that the Longhorns have the basketball team their fans have always dreamed of having, featuring a brand of basketball that is easy on the eyes and as tenacious at its core. The days of hate-watching Texas basketball are over and standing front and center over this remake is a basketball coach that might just allow former athletic director Steve Patterson a slice of legacy that has nothing to do with his poor bedside manner.

In Shaka Smart, everyone trusts.

In a very short amount of time, it has become increasingly clear that Smart is more than just a good hire, as he represents the best hire the Texas athletic department has made since Mack Brown was plucked from North Carolina in December of 1997. We’re talking about the kind of elite of the elite coach that simply doesn’t come around very often in any sport.

Don’t take my word for it. Just as Augie Garrido, who is arguably the greatest college baseball coach of all-time.

What we’re watching take place in Austin is the unleashing of a potential monster with Smart leading the Texas basketball charge and one of my first thoughts after Saturday’s game included a look to the future.

Moving forward, Texas needs to do whatever it takes to keep Smart, even if it means eventually moving his salary into an area of its football coach or beyond. One day, and it will probably occur sooner than later, some college blue-blood is going to make its move towards Smart and it will be up to the Texas athletic department to prove that it will forever do whatever it takes to keep Smart in Austin.

Texas has had really good basketball coaches before. Abe Lemons was really good. So was Tom Penders. So was Rick Barnes.

Smart is a significant upgrade over really good and that’s why this season has turned into the most enjoyable season among the major sports in Austin since the 2008 football season.

Yes, Saturday was the type of win that those that lived it will rejoice in for years to come, but as we’ve seen numerous times this season in wins over North Carolina, West Virginia (twice), Iowa State, Baylor and now Oklahoma, this isn’t the final destination.

If Texas plays its cards right, this will be just the beginning.

In Shaka Smart, everyone trusts.

No. 3- Remember when Junior Days were the end all, be all?

Once upon a time not too long ago, it would have been impossible for the Texas football program to host a Junior Day in February without at least a half dozen commitments going down over the span of a few hours.

Under Mack Brown, it used to represent the power of the Texas recruiting muscles, as rivals such as Oklahoma and Texas A&M were both petrified at the thought of who Texas might take off the recruiting board before a true recruiting war could ever be waged and ecstatic over the number of players the Longhorns would invest in that they had zero interest in.

By the time Brown entered his last few seasons, the coaches in College Station and Norman would go out of their way to survive the Texas Junior Day with key prospects by scaring them into believing that Texas would pressure them to commit when they weren’t ready. The general thinking was that if Texas couldn’t get them locked up by the end of February, then it would never get them locked up, leaving the Sooners and Aggies to scoop up the players that were unwilling to end their recruitments with 11 months to go before Signing Day.

Now?

As Jason Suchomel and I discussed in the Orangebloods podcast on Friday when previewing the event, I’m not sure that Strong had an interest in anyone on hand giving him a commitment. Oh, don’t get me wrong, if one or two of the best prospects on hand had wanted to give a verbal pledge, Strong would have certainly not kept a guy like Baron Browning from committing to him, but Strong just isn’t motivated by early pledges for a few reasons.

a. I get the sense that he prefers to chase a kid than babysit him, so unless he’s got someone he won’t have to worry about in the future, he’d prefer that kid just stay uncommitted.

b. Strong enjoys the flexibility that comes with not filling up too early, which often kept the Longhorns from going after more talented targets who might have had a legit interest in the Texas program because it was already handcuffed to other kids.

c. When selecting from the deep pool of players in the Lone Star State, Strong prefers to have as much time to continuously evaluate as possible, thus allowing for a late-bloomer or two to walk into his world who might not have otherwise.

Therefore, it’s hard to grade the success of a Junior Day in 2016 because the net positives or negatives might not be known for another 300+ days in some cases. What really matters now is that the quality of prospects in attendance is high, the weather is nice and good times/zero hurt feelings occur.

Well, with two national top-50 and another eight Rivals 250 prospects on hand, you’d have to say the talent on hand was where you’d like it to be. Meanwhile, the weather was so good on Saturday that it could have served as a postcard day for the Austin Chamber of Commerce. Oh, and not a hurt feeling was seemingly found anywhere on campus.

Check, check and check.

In this new era of recruiting for the Texas football program where early commitments are viewed as equal parts victory/equal parts pain in the ass, those three check marks will have to do.

No. 4 – Junior Day Twitter Highlights ...

For those who might have missed them in the midst of a very busy day on Saturday, here were the social media moments from the Junior Day that stood out to these eyes.

No. 5 – Scattershooting on the Longhorns ...

… It’s hard not to notice things trending in a very good direction for Kennedale linebacker Baron Browning, arguably the best 2017 prospect in the state not named Marvin Wilson.

… Before it’s all said and done, Manvel safety Derrick Tucker is going to be a Longhorn. Go ahead and put that one in ink.

… Even though his commitment appears to have solidified over the weekend, my guess is that Bullard tight end Major Tennison is going to keep a keen eye on the Texas offense this season and his recruitment is likely to have a few drops of sweat involved before next February.

… Texas will win any NCAA Tournament game it plays when it shoots 27 free throws, including 15 from Javon Felix, Isaiah Taylor and Eric Davis.

… It wasn’t the kind of performance that will garner a ton of headlines, but Prince Ibeh played 30 minutes of pretty good basketball on Saturday.

… Texas was +12 in the rebounding column on Saturday, a number I wouldn’t have guessed coming into the game.

… All I can say about Sunday’s baseball game against Stanford is … ouch.

… Ty Culbreth’s 16:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio will do just fine.

No. 6 – Buy or sell …

(As always, these are questions submitted by Orangebloods subscribers)

BUY or SELL: Sterlin Gilbert brings in a transfer QB to compete. (possibly from Bowling Green)?

(Sell) As someone who has demanded the Longhorns do this for each of the last four off-seasons, I’m done believing this is a possibility until I actually see it. There was actually a moment before Gilbert was hired when one JUCO option communicated to us that the Longhorns would make a run for him once Shane Buechele was on campus, but that just never materialized. Unless Charlie Strong changes his mind or has it changed for him, I get the sense that they won’t bring in a transfer of any variety unless they know he’ll represent a definite upgrade over what they already have on campus. Also, the only Bowling Green quarterback who played more than mop-up duty last year is Matt Johnson and he’s preparing for the NFL Draft, unless Goose Gosselin mistakenly included him in his NFL Draft story this past week.

BUY or SELL: With the new offense being installed, the Spring Practices will be even more under wraps than before?

(Sell) Contrary to what a lot of folks might believe, I have never sensed that Charlie Strong spends five seconds worrying about things like this. There are reasons why practices are closed, but super-paranoia from Strong isn’t really one of them.

BUY or SELL: While Ehlinger and Carson are both bona fide studs as prospects and recruiters, Texas gets a few more War Daddies on board early to help anchor a top-5 class?

(Sell) In order for me to buy a top-five class, I need to know that this season is going to be the kind of success that truly sends this program soaring. If Strong is on any kind of shaky ground, it’s hard to buy into the idea of a top-five class right now, even with so many 2017 kids showing interest. The landscape could change in a hurry if Texas gets drilled by Notre Dame in the season-opener.

BUY or SELL: We'll end the Spring Game with more questions on offense than answers?

(Buy) This offense is a major work in progress and will feature a ton of installation in the spring. With the answers at quarterback and along the offensive line almost certainly remaining unsolved at the conclusion of spring workouts, the big picture remains blurry.

BUY or SELL: There is not a circumstance outside of scandal where Strong gets canned mid-season (Even if everyone knows he will be gone at the end of the season)?

(Buy) It’s hard to believe this team could be bad enough to warrant a mid-season ouster, which means even if the team starts slowly, he’ll get all 12 games to make a convincing care for a fourth year.

BUY or SELL: There are going to be many more silent commitments to UT this year than there have ever been before; maybe as many as 10-12 in December/January?

(Sell) That just sounds like crazy talk.

BUY or SELL: We'll have five more public commits by the end of the Spring Semester?

(Sell) That would put the Longhorns at nine before the summer and that just seems like a higher number than that I’m expecting, but not by much.

BUY or SELL: In two more years, both Mack Brown and DeLoss Dodds will be completely rehabilitated in the hearts and minds of Texas fans?

(Sell) I think the mainstream fans will have moved on by then, but if the football program is still chasing its tail at the end of the 2017 season, there will be a lot of die-hards with long memories.

BUY or SELL: When the Notre Dame game rolls around in September, Texas will have two true freshmen starting on the offensive side of the ball?

(Sell) I’m going to say noooooooooooooooo waaaaaaaaay. The game is just too important and there’s not nearly the obvious available spots as there were a year ago.

BUY or SELL: Charlie's recruiting style, a low-pressure, wait-it-out style, fits perfectly with current recruits' desire to take many official and unofficial visits, and be minor Twitter celebrities for as long as possible?

(Buy) You nailed it. The Twitter Recruiting Age would have made the 2013-version of Mack Brown more nervous than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

No. 7 – Steph. F’ing. Curry.

I hope everyone realizes what we’re seeing right now from the best basketball player in the world, which is something that none of us have ever seen before. Ever.

Few could have seen this coming as recently as just a few seasons ago, but Curry has emerged as the type of supernova by which future generations of basketball players will be judged. We’re talking about the best shooter in the history of the game.

On a daily basis, I find myself searching his name on Twitter to see what absurd new stat exists that spotlights his play.

Consider these from the last few days:

He’s simply not human.

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

… It took me a few hours to shake my bad mood following Liverpool’s heart-breaking loss to Man City in the Capital One Cup final via penalty kicks. I suppose you really can’t love a team until you’ve felt a little heartbreak and that’s what Sunday was … demoralizing defeat that felt like pure agony.

… Guys, Dallas is not drafting a quarterback with the No. 4 pick in the draft. Honestly, we should probably stop talking about it because when Jerry Jones says that he expects Tony Romo to play until 2020, he means it. These are the three names I’m keeping an eye on - Ohio State defensive lineman Joey Bosa, Oregon defensive lineman DeForest Buckner and Florida State cornerback Jalen Ramsey. All three fill monster needs.

… Speaking of Buckner, that dude has the largest hands (11 ¾ inches) of anyone that has ever had them measured at the combine, which means that he can almost palm a foot-long sub from Subway.

… After drafting Randy Gregory a year ago in the second round, the Cowboys need to stay away from Robert Nkemdiche if he falls to them with pick No. 34.

… I’m worried we’re never going to see Notre Dame linebacker Jaylon Smith play a single down in the NFL. Hearing that he might have nerve damage in his knee is the kind of thing that has you checking the details of his insurance policy.

… Please, Anderson Silva, never fight again in the Octagon.

… Please, Terence Crawford, fight more.

… Jimmie Johnson tied Dale Earnhart on the all-time wins list on Sunday with victory No. 76, which seems like a note worth mentioning.

… Aresnal fans are going to have nightmares about that Man United loss from the weekend, especially with Leicester City pulling out another three points in a late-game victory. Have you seen Leicester City’s upcoming schedule? I’m really starting to believe this team is going to pull this off.

… Speaking of United, prepare yourself for tons of Marcus Rashford hype.

… I don’t know what Chris Paul did, but I’m guessing he had it coming.

No. 9 - Stream of Conscious Thoughts on the Oscars...

a. Chris Rock’s job as the host this year was to make everyone in that room feel uncomfortable about the lack of diversity in the nominations and I’d say he officially accomplished that when he dropped loose a “grandmother hanging from a tree” joke. Mission accomplished.

b. Rock’s Jada Pinkett/Rihanna panties joke almost certainly rocked the Smith household.

c. There’s a part of me that believes Inside/Out was robbed in best original screenplay.

d. Sara Silverman’s James Bond joke about most of the women he slept with wanting to kill him was pretty money, as was the subtle crack about wanting him to have a little more street in him.

e. Sam Smith bores me as a singer. He’s like a poor person’s Adele.

f. I really wish I had seen Carol before Alicia Vikander accepted the award for best supporting actress.

g. Mad Max dominating the Oscars for about an hour. I’ll bet many of you never saw that one coming.

h. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

i. Reese Witherspoon looked good.

j. Mark Rylance was a deserving winner for best supporting actor was well-deserved, but damn, you know the world wanted to see Sly get on the stage as a winner on Sunday night.

k. Watching people get pissed about the Oscars is more fun than actually watching the Oscars.

l. Loved the Fake Suge Knight jokes. The stacks of Girl Scout cookies next Fake Suge Knight was awesome, but Chris Rock better hope he never gets out.

m. Maybe the Oscars should have a Rooney Rule?

n. Loved Dave Grohl singing Blackbird.

o. Make no mistake about it, Alejandro Iñárritu was one of the three things about The Revenant that stood out like the sun, with Leo and Ton Hardy being the other two things.

p. Brie Larson was the only choice for Best Actress. Go see Room!

q. Leo! Leo! Leo!

r. "Let us not take the planet for granted, I promise you I don't take this night for granted."

Leo stuck the landing. Even the East German judge is giving a 10.0.

s. Spotlight winning is the best thing to happen to newspapers since it started to figure out how to use the Internet.

No. 10 - And finally … The List: Earth, Wind and Fire

earth-wind-and-fire-1970-650-430.jpg

After competing my Kool and the Gang list a few weeks ago, the outcry for an Earth, Wind and Fire list was strong enough that I decided to go ahead and stay in the same lane for one more column (Note: I haven’t decided on this week’s musical focus).

For the record, after spending large doses of the last two weeks listening to EWF, I’ll make the confession that I believe it to be a group where everything you need to listen to can be found in its greatest hits CD.

It’s true.

Ok, let’s get on with the list.

(Listen to the entire list on Spotify)

10. Sing a Song

One of the group's first hits.

9. Reasons

Sometimes I love this Phillip Bailey falsetto and sometimes it's a little too much for me, but it had to make the list.

8. After the Love is Gone

Considering this song is one of the highest-selling singles in the group's history, you can make a case that it should be higher on the list.

7. Shining Star

The group's first and only No. 1 song on the Billboard charts.

6. Fantasy

The group's first international hit, way back in 1977.

5. Boogie Wonderland

One of the most iconic disco songs of all-time

4. I'll Write a Song for You

Perhaps the greatest pure ballad the group has ever recorded.

3. That's The way of the World

Ranks #337 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time list.

2. Let's Groove

This might actually be my favorite EWF song, but I just couldn't move it into the No. 1 slot.

1. September

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it's the song I think of first when I think of the group. It jams just as much today as the first time I heard it.

Archives List

Blues/Jazz: Eva Cassidy (Listen via Spotify ), John Coltrane (Listen via Spotify ), Janis Joplin (Listen via Spotify ), Norah Jones (Listen via Spotify), B.B. King (Listen Via Spotify), Leadbelly (Listen via Spotify),Amos Lee (Listen via Spotify),Toni Price (Listen via Spotify) and Stevie Ray Vaughan ( Listen via Spotify )

Classical: Johann Sebastian Bach ( Listen via Spotify) and Beethoven ( Listen via Spotify)

Country: Gary Allen (Listen via Spotify), Brooks and Dunn (Listen via Spotify), Garth Brooks, Johnny Cash (Listen via Spotify), Patsy Cline (Listen Via Spotify), Merle Haggard (Listen via Spotify), George Jones(Listen via Spotify), Robert Earl Keen (Listen via Spotify), Natalie Maines (Listen via Spotify), John Michael Montgomery (Listen via Spotify), Willie Nelson (Listen via Spotify), Reba (Listen via Spotify ), Kenny Rogers (Listen Via Spotify), Chris Stapleton (Listen via Spotify), Gary Stewart (Listen Via Spotify ), George Strait(Listen Via Spotify), (Keith Whitley (Listen via Spotify), Hank Williams Sr. ( Listen via Spotify). ) and Dwight Yoakam ( Listen via Spotify )

Electronic: Daft Punk (Listen Via Spotify)

Funk: Chuck Brown, James Brown (Listen Via Spotify) , Earth, Wind and Fire (Listen Via Spotify), Kool and the Gang (Listen Via Spotify), Prince (Listen Via Spotify (Part I), Listen Via Spotify (Part II - After Hours)) and Red Hot Chili Peppers (Listen Via Spotify (Part I)

Metal: Metallica and Pantera (Listen Via Spotify)

Pop: Hall and Oates (Listen via Spotify), George Michael (Listen via Spotify), Billy Ocean ( Listen via Spotify ), Rihanna (Frank Sinatra ( Listen via Spotify )

Punk: The Clash (Listen via Spotify) and The Ramones (Listen via Spotify)

Random: Best of 2013 (Listen via Spotify), Best of 2014 (Listen via Spotify), Cartoon themes, One-hit Wonders from the 1990's (Listen via Spotify) and TV Themes

Rap: 2-Pac (Listen via Spotify), 8-Ball and MJG, Beastie Boys (Listen via Spotify), Biggie Smalls (Listen via Spotify), Drake (Listen via Spotify), Eminem (Listen to Spotify), Ice Cube (Listen via Spotify), Jay-Z(Listen via Spotify), Kool MoeDee (Listen to Spotify), Kendrick Lamar (Listen via Spotify), NWA (Listen to Spotify),Outkast (Listen via Spotify), RUN-DMC (Listenvia Spotify), Scarface (Listen via Spotify), Snoop Dogg Listen via Spotify , A Tribe Called Quest (Listen via Spotify), UGK (Listen via Spotify), Kanye West (Listen via Spotify) and Wu-Tang Clan (Listen via Spotify)

R&B: Adele (Listen via Spotify) Aliyah, Aretha (Listen via Spotify), Boyz II Men (Listen via Spotify), Ray Charles (Listen via Spotify),Sam Cooke (Listen via Spotify), Al Green (Listen via Spotify), Chaka Kahn (listen Via Spotify),Whitney Houston (Janet Jackson (Listen via Spotify),Jodeci (Listen via Spotify), Mo-Town (Listen via Spotify), R. Kelly (Listen via Spotify), Gerald Levert (Listen via Spotify), Otis Redding(Listen via Spotify), Lionel Richie, Smokey Robinson (Listen via Spotify), TLC (Listen Via Spotify), Jackie Wilson (Listen via Spotify) and Bill Withers (Listen via Spotify)

Reggae: Bob Marley (Listen via Spotify)

Rock: AC/DC, Listen via Spotify), Arcade Fire (Listen via Spotify), ArcticMonkeys (Listen via Spotify),Beach Boys (Listen via Spotify), The Beatles, Bon Jovi (Listen via Spotify), DavidBowie (Listen via Spotify),Jeff Buckley (Listen via Spotify), The Cars (Listen via Spotify), CCR (Listen via Spotify), Eric Clapton (Listen via Spotify), Dave Matthews Band (Listen via Spotify), Glenn Frey (Listen Via Spotify), Gary Clark Jr. (Listen via Spotify),Listen via Spotify),The Eagles, Joe Ely (Listen to Spotify), Foo Fighters (Listen Via Spotify), Genesis (Listen via Spotify), Guns N' RosesListen via Spotify), Heart (Listen via Spotify), Jimi Hendrix (Listen via Spotify), Don Henley (Listen Via Spotify), (Billy Joel (Listen via Spotify), Elton John (Listen Via Spotify), Journey(Listen Via Spotify), Led Zeppelin, Little Featt(Listen Via Spotify), John Mayer (Listen via Spotify), Stevie Nicks (Listen Via Spotify),Nirvana (Listen via Spotify), Roy Orbison (Listen via Spotify), Pearl Jam (Listen via Spotify), Tom Petty(Listen via Spotify), Pink Floyd, Elvis Pressley (Listen via Spotify), Queen (Listen via Spotify), Reckless Kelly(Listen via Spotify), Lou Reed ( Listen via Spotify ),TheRolling Stones (Listen via Spotify), Bob Seger, Bruce Springsteen (Listen via Spotify), Steely Dan (Listen Via Spotify), TheStrokes (Listen via Spotify), U2 (Listen via Spotify), Van Halen ( Listen via Spotify ), Velvet Underground ( Listen via Spotify ), Jack White ( Listen via Spotify ) and ZZ Top ( Listen via Spotify )[/I

Last edited:
After drafting Randy Gregory a year ago in the second round, the Cowboys need to stay away from Robert Nkemdiche if he falls to them with pick No. 34.
Hahahahahaha. Man I won so many bets on randy Gregory being suspended before a full year went by. That was the easiest money in the history of the world.

And yes, everyone knows Nkrmdiche has a HUGE drug problem. Hard drugs. Not weed. Having said that, isn't it obvious that Jerry drafts him?

Hahahahahaha. Man I won so many bets on randy Gregory being suspended before a full year went by. That was the easiest money in the history of the world.

And yes, everyone knows Nkrmdiche has a HUGE drug problem. Hard drugs. Not weed. Having said that, isn't it obvious that Jerry drafts him?
tumblr_lpfdieHtY51qii6tmo1_500.gif

Reactions: Faith Horn
Congrats to Mark Rylance for his well deserved Oscar as Best Supporting Actor. What a fine performance. So many good films this year and performances.

And then there is basketball. See everyone tomorrow night at the Erwin Center.

Are we starting a second Golden Age of Longhorns sports? Maybe.

Reactions: bozans
Love's Holiday is one that would have to be in my EWF top 10. Solid list otherwise.

Ketch, I feel like you should have listed Myles Jack in the cowboys draft needs. Do you disagree?

Does anybody here agree with me that Everest was a very good film and very underrated? It deserved a better run IMO.

Ketch who is the one freshman you see stating against ND? I mean there has to be at least one of those top 11 class guys starting. My guess is Collin.

Reactions: hornssup
BUY or SELL: When the Notre Dame game rolls around in September, Texas will have two true freshmen starting on the offensive side of the ball?

(Sell) I’m going to say noooooooooooooooo waaaaaaaaay. The game is just too important and there’s not nearly the obvious available spots as there were a year ago.

I think Collin Johnson is almost guaranteed to be a starter game one. That mean that one more needs to find a way for this to be a buy. I don't think it will happen but I think you aren't being realistic to give it such an emphatic of a no way. It is a real possibility.

Larry Bird led the league in made three-pointers in the 1985-86 season, when he made 82

Steph Curry has made 84 three's over the last month.

wow. what else you need to know?

Earth Wind and Fire: Shining Star is a great song.

Missed Grohl's version of Blackbird, but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

How did you watch the freaking boring ass Oscars when Walking Dead was on?

Sad Sly didn't win, wish Leo didn't feel the need to talk about his political ideas at the acting awards.

Reactions: TilGabriel
Dang it, missed the Oscars, was watching recordings of the new x-files, completely forgot. I'm fascinated enough to know that there are people out there who care enough about it to get mad. And, if someone on you tube throws together a montage of Chris Rock, I'd probably watch that since I'm sure it was funny and raw.

It was a great weekend for the Longhorn Nation. Seems as though there is some definite positive momentum building on campus. A lot of that probably has to do with Smart rebooting our men's basketball program. Whatever that dude Patterson screwed up around here, he got that right. Easy to see that in a short span of time.

Hey @Ketchum - the six nation rugby tournament is underway, I'm surprised you didn't give us an update in the 10 thoughts.

Reactions: MATF
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT