ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A different kind of Texas quarterback discussion ...)

I don't know that Mike was as good of a defender than LeBron, whose defense has forever been underrated. They aredifferent kinds of defenders, but Mike's presence alone didn't scare the shit out of people. LeBron's does.

This is false. No way is LeBron as good on defense as Jordan. I'm not sure how that could be seriously discussed.

This is false. No way is LeBron as good on defense as Jordan. I'm not sure how that could be seriously discussed.
Can we start with the fact that LeBron can pretty much defend any player on the court.

Agreed. Because he's a freak athlete, Bron has some big chase-down splash plays in his oeuvre but Jordan was a superior defender with better defensive instincts. If Ketch is arguing that LeBron is a more versatile defender because he can guard both wings and many bigs, then sure, but MJ was versatile enough.

Reactions: TXLawDog
From a... can't believe I'm linking this... FoxSports.com article on this subject last year:

"Jordan was a more tenacious defender for his position, and he excelled at shutting down opponents one-on-one. He also had Scottie Pippen to take on the toughest defensive challenges.

At his best, LeBron can guard all five positions, and he has a Kevin Garnett-esque ability to direct his teammates to eliminate any possible threat. That advantage as a team defender gives LeBron a slight edge."

Athlon's top 5:

1. Will Grier, West Virginia

west-virginia-mountaineers.png
The Big 12’s unquestioned No. 1 quarterback resides in Morgantown this season. Grier – a Heisman candidate and a likely All-America pick – is at the controls of one of the nation’s top offenses. After sitting out 2016 due to transfer rules, Grier threw for 3,490 yards and 34 touchdowns in 11 appearances for West Virginia last fall. Additionally, the North Carolina native’s eight completions of 60 yards or more ranked third nationally among all FBS quarterbacks. Grier missed two full games due to a finger injury suffered against Texas on Nov. 18 but will be back at full strength for 2018.

32. Charlie Brewer, Baylor

baylor-bears.png
Baylor should show significant improvement in coach Matt Rhule’s second year. Brewer is one of the main reasons for optimism in Waco, as the Texas native appears poised to build off a promising 2017 season. As a true freshman, Brewer completed 68.1 percent of his passes for 1,562 yards and 11 touchdowns to just four picks. He also added 166 yards on the ground, including 49 against TCU in the season finale. With a loaded receiving corps in place, Brewer is likely to push for All-Big 12 honors in 2018.

33. Kyle Kempt, Iowa State

iowa-state-cyclones.png
Kempt stepped up in a big way last season. He assumed the starting job after Jacob Park left the team in early October and made his first start on the road at Oklahoma. The big moment didn’t rattle Kempt, as he connected on 18 of 24 throws for 343 yards and three touchdowns in an upset over the Sooners. Kempt finished 2017 with 1,787 yards and 15 passing scores and completed 66.3 percent of his passes. He also tossed only three picks on 243 attempts.

34. Sam Ehlinger, Texas

texas-longhorns.png
Just like Kyler Murray, don’t be surprised if Ehlinger climbs this list by the time fall practice starts. All signs point to Ehlinger holding off Shane Buechele for the starting job, and coach Tom Herman is counting on the sophomore to jumpstart an offense that averaged only 25.4 points a game in Big 12 contests last year. As a true freshman last fall, Ehlinger led the team with 1,915 passing yards and tossed 11 scores. He also paced the team in rushing yards (381) and scored twice on the ground. With a full offseason to work as the starter and develop under Herman’s watch, Ehlinger is poised for a big jump in his second year in Austin.

35. Kyler Murray, Oklahoma

oklahoma-sooners.png
Murray ranks as the No. 5 Big 12 quarterback on this list, but it wouldn’t be a surprise to see the Texas A&M transfer finish 2018 among the top three signal-callers in the conference. The former five-star recruit started three games with the Aggies in 2015, completing 59.5 percent of his throws for 686 yards and five scores. He also added 335 yards on the ground. Murray played in seven games as Baker Mayfield’s backup last year and connected on 18 of 21 passes for 359 yards and three touchdowns. The Texas native is a dynamic runner but is far from a finished product as a passer. The upside is there for a monster season under coach Lincoln Riley. How quickly will Murray settle into the starting job?

Athlon's top 5:

1. Will Grier, West Virginia

west-virginia-mountaineers.png
The Big 12’s unquestioned No. 1 quarterback resides in Morgantown this season. Grier – a Heisman candidate and a likely All-America pick – is at the controls of one of the nation’s top offenses. After sitting out 2016 due to transfer rules, Grier threw for 3,490 yards and 34 touchdowns in 11 appearances for West Virginia last fall. Additionally, the North Carolina native’s eight completions of 60 yards or more ranked third nationally among all FBS quarterbacks. Grier missed two full games due to a finger injury suffered against Texas on Nov. 18 but will be back at full strength for 2018.

32. Charlie Brewer, Baylor

baylor-bears.png
Baylor should show significant improvement in coach Matt Rhule’s second year. Brewer is one of the main reasons for optimism in Waco, as the Texas native appears poised to build off a promising 2017 season. As a true freshman, Brewer completed 68.1 percent of his passes for 1,562 yards and 11 touchdowns to just four picks. He also added 166 yards on the ground, including 49 against TCU in the season finale. With a loaded receiving corps in place, Brewer is likely to push for All-Big 12 honors in 2018.

33. Kyle Kempt, Iowa State

iowa-state-cyclones.png
Kempt stepped up in a big way last season. He assumed the starting job after Jacob Park left the team in early October and made his first start on the road at Oklahoma. The big moment didn’t rattle Kempt, as he connected on 18 of 24 throws for 343 yards and three touchdowns in an upset over the Sooners. Kempt finished 2017 with 1,787 yards and 15 passing scores and completed 66.3 percent of his passes. He also tossed only three picks on 243 attempts.

34. Sam Ehlinger, Texas

texas-longhorns.png
Just like Kyler Murray, don’t be surprised if Ehlinger climbs this list by the time fall practice starts. All signs point to Ehlinger holding off Shane Buechele for the starting job, and coach Tom Herman is counting on the sophomore to jumpstart an offense that averaged only 25.4 points a game in Big 12 contests last year. As a true freshman last fall, Ehlinger led the team with 1,915 passing yards and tossed 11 scores. He also paced the team in rushing yards (381) and scored twice on the ground. With a full offseason to work as the starter and develop under Herman’s watch, Ehlinger is poised for a big jump in his second year in Austin.

35. Kyler Murray, Oklahoma

oklahoma-sooners.png
Murray ranks as the No. 5 Big 12 quarterback on this list, but it wouldn’t be a surprise to see the Texas A&M transfer finish 2018 among the top three signal-callers in the conference. The former five-star recruit started three games with the Aggies in 2015, completing 59.5 percent of his throws for 686 yards and five scores. He also added 335 yards on the ground. Murray played in seven games as Baker Mayfield’s backup last year and connected on 18 of 21 passes for 359 yards and three touchdowns. The Texas native is a dynamic runner but is far from a finished product as a passer. The upside is there for a monster season under coach Lincoln Riley. How quickly will Murray settle into the starting job?
Yeesh.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
Ive known Michael Griffin for 25 years. Haven't seen him in quite some time, but we've played on football, basketball, and track teams together, and also against each other. We still keep in touch with his parents.

His whole family is an amazing group of people. Michael and Marcus never got in trouble growing up, they were always responsible, and goofy, and loved playing sports. I swear way back in middle school I would've never even guessed they would've started on varsity in football or basketball in high school. Marcus was a really good point guard, but neither exactly stood out.

Then they got to high school and they were okay as freshmen. I went to a different high school, and played against them. It was cool seeing them after games. Then sophomore year came and I heard they were both on varsity, and I remember thinking that sounded weird to me, I didn't see how they'd play much. THEN one day at another high school game at House Park, I came across Michael and Marcus under the bleachers and holy cow they grew up overnight. I was an average-sized JV wide receiver, and they grew into these varsity-sized dudes and were all of a sudden way bigger than me.

I remember seeing them in the newspapers more, and do better and better, and thinking they may get a few smaller offers. They started getting offers from like Arizona and Colorado, SW Texas St, etc, and I thought that'd be their ceiling. Then the BIG offers started rolling in for Michael, and Marcus got some really good ones too. Then Michael became a 4-star (I think?) on Rivals and I couldn't believe how good he was getting (and how fast). Then he got a UT offer and committed to Texas. I thought that was so damn cool, and Marcus decided to walk-on to join him. I KNEW Marcus would eventually get a scholarship.

I thought Michael might get some playing time, maybe start as a senior and that'd be that. But man he got on the field a lot from the get-go, and became a special teams all-star immediately. At every level of his (and Marcus') career, he kept surprising me at how high his ceiling was, and at the same he remained the same low-key cool dude. He obviously started most of the last of his 3 years at UT, and started racking up postseason awards. And Marcus started his senior year as well.

Then I went to the UT-USC national title game and watched Michael make the play of the game, and completely flip the script on USC as they were about to bust the game open. My family and I were going insane, I couldn't believe it. Then I saw him speak at the national title parade. Then I started thinking HOLY CRAP Michael is going to the NFL when he graduates. THEN he went in the 1ST ROUND. Then he won the starting job with Tennessee- and held it for like 8 years, made 2 pro-bowls, had 7 INTs one year, lead the Titans franchise in all-time tackles by a safety, etc etc etc etc etc..

I remember once, me at Austin High and him at Bowie, he and I were both in the District Finals in Track for the 100m, 200m, long jump, and triple jump. He and I talked sh*t to each other the morning of the meet. He came in 1st place IN ALL FOUR EVENTS, and I came in 2nd place in all four events, to him. I couldn't believe it. It was pretty hilarious standing next to him (below him) at the podium 4 times in a row as he held those gold medals in my face. "1st team All-District" in track means you placed 1st or 2nd at the district meet, so we were 1st team All-District together in those 4 events.

Sorry for the long story, but to anyone still reading-- Michael (and Marcus) is an amazing dude. He's friendly, great with his family, works his butt off, and about 30 times from middle school to the NFL he surpassed my expectations of him. Like Ketch said, I think his bigger passion has always been with his dogs and dog shows/breeding. I'm glad he gets to retire and spend more time with his family and doing stuff like that.

A lot of guys burn out after the NFL and go broke and lose their minds. He'll be more than fine.

Thanks, Griffin brothers, for the memories!

Wow. Fantastic story. Thank you for sharing.

Guess you don't realize that Soccer will soon be America's third-favored spectator sport, overtaking Baseball. Forbes had a good write up recently
https://www.forbes.com/sites/filipb...-third-favorite-spectator-sport/#1773180b3c53

It’s a new day, America. In what the rest of the world has known for decades, and even centuries, FINALLY the U.S. is starting to see the light that soccer is not a “boring-no scoring-diving-man-buns-a-plenty-sport” and is about to overtake that sport Grandpa Carrabis uses as an excuse for a girlfriend, baseball.

6106ttsCJyL._SX355_.jpg

Yes, America is having new days. And, sad ones.

Uh, no. Hell no. He's top 5 but anything more is classic recency bias. Jordan would average 40/10/10 in today's NBA and might never lose a game in today's eastern conference.

LeBron is a great player and I like him alot but Jordan he is not.
I can’t imagine Lebron driving the lane on the 80’s-90’s Pistons. There would be gallons of tears from him, yet Jordan prospered in that era.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
I can’t imagine Lebron driving the lane on the 80’s-90’s Pistons. There would be gallons of tears from him, yet Jordan prospered in that era.
LeBron gets to play by 80s rules, too, right?

Because he'd f dudes up.

Can we start with the fact that LeBron can pretty much defend any player on the court.

Disagree with this too. LeBron cannot guard elite guards. Hell, KD smoked him last year every time LeBron tried to check him in the finals. KD had the green light all day when LeBron tried to guard him. LeBron is exceptionally athletic which allows him to be versatile, but that doesn't make him better. MJ would shut people down. LeBron doesn't.

MJ was one of the most tenacious defenders to ever lace up. It's the same drive that made him the GOAT.

I am not a Bron fan, but I don't think it is even close that he is the GOAT. Bigger, stronger, even faster than Michael. I know most won't agree because it is not popular to think that anyone is better than Jordan, but I really don't think it is close. And I really don't like LeBron at all.

6 and 3 aren’t that close either, JS.

If we are looking for comparisons, I’d say Watson looks like a slightly smaller, and slightly less explosive, Romance Taylor.

Disagree with this too. LeBron cannot guard elite guards. Hell, KD smoked him last year every time LeBron tried to check him in the finals. KD had the green light all day when LeBron tried to guard him. LeBron is exceptionally athletic which allows him to be versatile, but that doesn't make him better. MJ would shut people down. LeBron doesn't.

MJ was one of the most tenacious defenders to ever lace up. It's the same drive that made him the GOAT.
KD might be the best offensive player in the history of the game. I'm not sure that example fits your thesis.

It’s already being reported elsewhere NaNa is going to ND. Y’all need better recruiting sources. We weren’t even going in. He was heavily leaning ND and we didn’t do enough this weekend.

Why are you such dck?

Jordan whined about foul calls, too. If LeBron could throw his body around, few players would want any part of him. Don't forget there would be an enforcer on LeBron's team who issued payback if somebody took down their star player. Pretty sure LeBron would be fine with Oakley or Rodman having his back.

I think LeBron would have adapted to the 80-90s style of play. In fact I believe it would have forced him to grow up and mature as a player much earlier. He would still be the great player that he is. Maybe better. Many of stars of the NBA actions today (whining) wouldn't happen as much if they played back in the 80-90s. I think Steph and Durant would still be good players but maybe not as great as they are today. I could see Durant possibly being great like George Gervin if he could avoid the injuries.

Jordan and Bird would score at will in today's game while I couldn't imagine what Magic Johnson would be like. He would be unbelievable. Unfortunately the great centers of the 80-90s wouldn't be as good because they would be in constant foul trouble and not sure they could have adapted.

Reactions: Anwar Richardson
I think LeBron would have adapted to the 80-90s style of play. In fact I believe it would have forced him to grow up and mature as a player much earlier. He would still be the great player that he is. Maybe better. Many of stars of the NBA actions today (whining) wouldn't happen as much if they played back in the 80-90s. I think Steph and Durant would still be good players but maybe not as great as they are today. I could see Durant possibly being great like George Gervin if he could avoid the injuries.

Jordan and Bird would score at will in today's game while I couldn't imagine what Magic Johnson would be like. He would be unbelievable. Unfortunately the great centers of the 80-90s wouldn't be as good because they would be in constant foul trouble and not sure they could have adapted.
You are correct. Great points.

On the flip side, some of the enforcers from back in the day (Oakley, Laimbeer, Anthony Mason, Rodman) probably would struggle in today's game because they would foul out in the first half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT