ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (About Quinn Ewers...)

Thoughts on Texas in 2009?
Maybe a bit of an outlier? And I don't know enough about the Cam Newtown team at Auburn, maybe their line wasn't great either and he just did the damn thing.

I'm not saying a guy with a cape at QB can't backpack his team to ship.

But I think a stud OL is more apt to bring a 5 star QB into the fold, than a 5 star QB is going to bring the OL.

I don't think Brady went to TB for the weather. I think he made them use a top draft pick on a left tackle and assemble a badass line before he went to play for them.

Card being a miss was apparent by the 2nd quarter of the Arky game.

Mark my words, Ewers under Sark will not be a bust. I prefer Arch, but I’d take Ewers in a heartbeat given last season.

Remember Joe Burrow in 2019? Ewers + Bijan + Worthy could be the foundation of another great team. And that’s not just hoping for best @Ketchum

Last edited:
Personally I think Ewers is a selfish person and could be a problem, disruptive. Malik is a quality person committed to our University. Hope he goes to Tech.

Reactions: shaun2k1
Maybe a bit of an outlier? And I don't know enough about the Cam Newtown team at Auburn, maybe their line wasn't great either and he just did the damn thing.

I'm not saying a guy with a cape at QB can't backpack his team to ship.

But I think a stud OL is more apt to bring a 5 star QB into the fold, than a 5 star QB is going to bring the OL.

I don't think Brady went to TB for the weather. I think he made them use a top draft pick on a left tackle and assemble a badass line before he went to play for them.
I'm just never going to stop believing that not having the quarterback position answered, which Texas currently doesn't, isn't the No.1 area of need.

It does not mean that the No.2 area of need is any less. This is like an ugly Miss America contest.

Mark my words, Ewers under Sark will not be a bust. I prefer Arch, but I’d take Ewers in a heartbeat given last season.

Remember Joe Burrow in 2019? Ewers + Bijan + Worthy could be the foundation of another great team. And that’s not just hoping for best @Ketchum
I mean.... it kind of is.

Reactions: DKinnamon

“Card being a miss was apparent by the 2nd quarter of Arky game” is revisionist history opinion, formed with an objectively limited sample size.

I’m pretty sure we can look at quite a few QBs 2nd start and see some statistical distribution ranging from awful to awesome. I’m far from a Card apologist, but declaring his a bust already seems a bit harsh, at minimum.

“Card being a miss was apparent by the 2nd quarter of Arky game” is revisionist history opinion, formed with an objectively limited sample size.

I’m pretty sure we can look at quite a few QBs 2nd start and see some statistical distribution ranging from awful to awesome. I’m far from a Card apologist, but declaring his a bust already seems a bit harsh, at minimum.
bingo

I'm just never going to stop believing that not having the quarterback position answered, which Texas currently doesn't, isn't the No.1 area of need.

It does not mean that the No.2 area of need is any less. This is like an ugly Miss America contest.
I think we're getting real close to common ground here so this will be the last thing I'll say about it.

Is it possible that the QB position will never be answered until we get better OL play? If Ewers suited up every game for Texas in 2021 (and doesn't get hurt behind that OL which both Thompson and Card did at times and Ehlinger seemed to spend his whole career dinged up) does that add 3 wins? Maybe, but I don't think you can say yes for certain.

Thompson and Card both looked pretty good at times when the OL held up. But they both looked terrible when it didn't (or when Thompson was hurt, which may have been directly contributable to bad OL play.)

I'm not sold that Thompson or Card couldn't be our 2019 Joe Burrow with a much better OL in front of them and CONVERSELY I'm not sure even Ewers or Manning could be with the same level of OL play we saw this year.

I guess my argument is the quarterback position will never be answered because the OL play is spoiling the experiment, ipso facto, the first order of business needs to be fixing that OL play.

But I'd accept first order of business 1b to be QB play. (Do I get points for working in some latin?)

I think we're getting real close to common ground here so this will be the last thing I'll say about it.

Is it possible that the QB position will never be answered until we get better OL play? If Ewers suited up every game for Texas in 2021 (and doesn't get hurt behind that OL which both Thompson and Card did at times and Ehlinger seemed to spend his whole career dinged up) does that add 3 wins? Maybe, but I don't think you can say yes for certain.

Thompson and Card both looked pretty good at times when the OL held up. But they both looked terrible when it didn't (or when Thompson was hurt, which may have been directly contributable to bad OL play.)

I'm not sold that Thompson or Card couldn't be our 2019 Joe Burrow with a much better OL in front of them and CONVERSELY I'm not sure even Ewers or Manning could be with the same level of OL play we saw this year.

I guess my argument is the quarterback position will never be answered because the OL play is spoiling the experiment, ipso facto, the first order of business needs to be fixing that OL play.

But I'd accept first order of business 1b to be QB play. (Do I get points for working in some latin?)
That's probably the case unless you have a plus plus quarterback. But those plus plus quarterbacks win you championships.

Reactions: txfight
I mean.... it kind of is.
Ewers 1 year of experience riding the bench at Ohio St.

Bijan 2 years of experience at running back

Worthy 1 phenomenal year of experience at receiver.

Experienced D coming back.

Where’s the hope? All I see is data points suggesting a big leap in year 2. Hope is beating Bama early in the season though. Get excited Ketch, you were too hopeful last season ;)

Ewers 1 year of experience riding the bench at Ohio St.

Bijan 2 years of experience at running back

Worthy 1 phenomenal year of experience at receiver.

Experienced D coming back.

Where’s the hope? All I see is data points suggesting a big leap in year 2. Hope is beating Bama early in the season though. Get excited Ketch, you were too hopeful last season ;)
Is experience from the worst defense in school history a good thing? ;)

Glad you weren’t evaluating Vince in his earliest games against a superior team

Totally agree! Getting better OL play has been the perennially-ignored #1a since like 2010 that's brought us into the second consecutive decade of mediocrity - res ipsa loquitor. We've had some good QBs (e.g., Gilbert*, Ash, Card) some borderline plus QBs (e.g., Buechele, Ehlinger, Thompson) since then whose career at Texas was spent running for their lives from shotty OL play. As you said, the plus QB may get you a few better plays that could turn an L into a W, but that's not guaranteed. And, it's certainly not guaranteed if the OL play gets them hurt (e.g., Ash (retiring for concussions), Buechele, Ehlinger, Card, Thompson). If I had to guess, Ewers behind last year's OL maybe gets us another win for sure, maybe 2; but that's it. We can only hope that we pick up a ready-for-prime-time OL from the portal and that some of these super frosh OL guys are as good as everyone thinks and can translate into an immediate upgrade. If that's the case, and Ewers is who we all think he is, I think we at least end up at a bowl next year. Not giving them more credit than that until I see something different on the field.

*Gilbert may have turned out to be a plus or plus plus QB if his QB psyche at Texas hadn't been crushed during the national championship game coming in early for McCoy.

Totally agree! Getting better OL play has been the perennially-ignored #1a since like 2010 that's brought us into the second consecutive decade of mediocrity - res ipsa loquitor. We've had some good QBs (e.g., Gilbert*, Ash, Card) some borderline plus QBs (e.g., Buechele, Ehlinger, Thompson) since then whose career at Texas was spent running for their lives from shotty OL play. As you said, the plus QB may get you a few better plays that could turn an L into a W, but that's not guaranteed. And, it's certainly not guaranteed if the OL play gets them hurt (e.g., Ash (retiring for concussions), Buechele, Ehlinger, Card, Thompson). If I had to guess, Ewers behind last year's OL maybe gets us another win for sure, maybe 2; but that's it. We can only hope that we pick up a ready-for-prime-time OL from the portal and that some of these super frosh OL guys are as good as everyone thinks and can translate into an immediate upgrade. If that's the case, and Ewers is who we all think he is, I think we at least end up at a bowl next year. Not giving them more credit than that until I see something different on the field.

*Gilbert may have turned out to be a plus or plus plus QB if his QB psyche at Texas hadn't been crushed during the national championship game coming in early for McCoy.
I think thats spot on for Gilbert, hell, he started a game in the NFL. Same with Ehlinger. Do you remember a season that he didn't play hurt in?
I think Thompson and Card could have been Plus QBs too but our Oline was so spotty last year.

Reactions: Utexex1989
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT