ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (About those vacant positions...)

Originally posted by siroopwafelen:
Ketch,

Can you clarify your Mack comments? Are you saying he's not visiting Texas out of respect for A&M's staff?
and potentially their request.

This post was edited on 1/12 1:29 PM by Ketchum

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by coopdog:
Ketch wanna make any predictions on the hires?
I've heard what seems like a lot of names in the vetting territory and it's hard to say which direction Charlie actually goes in. Smart money is on guys that have worked with him before on some level.
When is the coaching convention? Isn't that when Strong is likely to interview and maybe even hire his coaches?

Ketch,

So you're saying that Daylon decommitted from A&M, A&M followed up with asking Daylon to do them a solid to not visit Texas, and he said yes? WTF?

Hoss100, I also have long been annoyed that Dallas has not drafted many Longhorns, and I'm not as fervent a Cowboy fan as I once was (especially before Jones replaced Murchison as owner, fired Landry, then over-hyped his old Razorback teammate and new coach, Jimmy Johnson). But I became a Cowboy fan at essentially the same time I became a Longhorn fan, in September of 1961 (just after I started third grade), and I don't intend to stop pulling for the Cowboys. Your assertion that a Texas fan can't be a Cowboy fan is ridiculous, and is almost insulting to people like me who have been fans of both teams for over half a century.

Originally posted by boernefan:

Originally posted by coopdog:
Ketch wanna make any predictions on the hires?
I've heard what seems like a lot of names in the vetting territory and it's hard to say which direction Charlie actually goes in. Smart money is on guys that have worked with him before on some level.
When is the coaching convention? Isn't that when Strong is likely to interview and maybe even hire his coaches?
this week. next few days.

Originally posted by siroopwafelen:
Ketch,

So you're saying that Daylon decommitted from A&M, A&M followed up with asking Daylon to do them a solid to not visit Texas, and he said yes? WTF?
I guess Daylon can't see through Sumlin like it is apparent to everyone else, even some ags. Snake oil salesman would be an injustice to all snake oil salesman, he is beneath that. All in it for himself, no care whatsoever for the player. Sumlin and Charlie are such complete opposites as to being decent human beings.

Re: Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (About those vacant position

Ketch it was not a catch, the entire process of the catch Bryant was going to the ground, but it doesn't matter as he must maintain possession throughout the entirety of the catch, which he failed to do. It's actually a pretty cut and dry call. Now, from jump street I have said that the rule sucks and should be revised.

Originally posted by Akersaway:
Ketch, not sure how you think cowboys were better team today. They were outgained by 100 yards. If the cowboys would have scored there was no indication by their play that the cowboy d would have ever stopped the packers. There was plenty of time after that play to make a stop on d and get the ball back but they couldn't.
They controlled and had the lead for pretty much the entire game and were robbed of re-taking the lead on the road in a place where the home team is normally unbeatable.
And scoring at that point would've fired up the defense! You can't tell me that they weren't pretty deflated after the offense was robbed of what most certainly would've been a TD, one or two plays later.

If we can seriously improve our pass rush for next year, BS rules and/or calls won't matter nearly as much.

roy tarpley is dead.

His poster should hang in every college athletic building as a reminder that even the greatest talent can be taken for granted and wasted.

RIP

Originally posted by HornKat:
Ketch it was not a catch, the entire process of the catch Bryant was going to the ground, but it doesn't matter as he must maintain possession throughout the entirety of the catch, which he failed to do. It's actually a pretty cut and dry call. Now, from jump street I have said that the rule sucks and should be revised.
What matters is whether you think a football move was made. I absolutely do.

from Taylor Swift to the Ramones this week.

Even my wife knew it was a catch.

Groh & Brewster. That's a pretty persuasive argument Ketch!

Nails on the Dallas theft. That was the Heist of the Century!

Originally posted by icet:
Even my wife knew it was a catch.
But, the NFL can't figure it out. Bastards.

what a bunch of crybabies Green Bay 26 Dallas 21 get over it. If Rogers was healthy the packers would have won easily.

Ketch, not sure if you have heard this song but my wife can't get through it without getting glossy-eyed. I enjoy Taylor Swift because I see how happy it makes my daughter (7yo) when one of her songs plays. Not afraid to admit that.

The Best Day

Originally posted by longhornmjc:
what a bunch of crybabies Green Bay 26 Dallas 21 get over it. If Rogers was healthy the packers would have won easily.
If Dallas hadn't shot themselves in the foot several times, it wins this game by 10+.

damn give it a rest Ketch your boys got the breaks last wk & this wk they didn't. They got beat life is good

Originally posted by hoss1000:
1) if you're a Cowboys fan you're not a true longhorn fan, due to the historical snubbing that the Dallas Cowboys have given UT longhorn players in the draft. The current state of the Dallas Cowboys roster bears this out: they have more "OU lite" (OSU) players (5) than Longhorns (4). Of course this doesn't mention all the players they have from UT's opponent schools (OU, TT, etc.)
How can you be a true Longhorn fan if you support the NFL team from the same state as the Horns (!) that has shown the Horns very little love through the years. It seems in some of these years that their management went out of their way to avoid drafting Longhorns. There's no excuse.

2) sorry but any grown man that likes Taylor Swift's schmaltzy teen pop drivel secretly wears panties everywhere he goes, or fantasizes about doing it. If that's your thing, great. But own up to it.
moronic

Nice argument, explaining why its "moronic". News flash: just because you don't like a position doesn't mean it's wrong.
Let's hear someone's reasoned argument, involving the point I made: that the Dallas Cowboys franchise has historically snubbed Longhorns in recruiting, relative to other B12 college players. So far all I'm hearing from those who don't like my point is "blah blah blah, that's stupid, and it hewts my feewings because I like them both".

This post was edited on 1/13 1:16 AM by hoss1000

In the aftermath of Ohio State's butt kickings administered to Bama and the Quack Attack, shall we all recall the immortal words of Vince Lombardi who twice handled America's Team when it mattered most? It's about BLOCKING AND TACKLING, people. Period, end of story.

Ohio State won because they owned both sides of the line of scrimmage. Why anyone thought the Ducks and their Smoke and Mirrors show (are you listening out there, Art, you old cry baby) would prevail against a team that dominated Bama on the lines of scrimmage is hard to figure except that we live in a hype-the gimmick world driven by the talking idiots at ESPN who simply fell all over themselves wondering if the Buckeyes from the somehow deficient Big 10 could handle Oregon's tempo.

Tempo doesn't win games. Talent does. Tempo doesn't beat blocking and tackling. Hence Michigan State (a team destroyed by the Buckeyes) beats Crying Art and his cheating Baylor Bear Cubs.

At Texas we should remain optimistic for the future because our Coach believes in Defense and specifically tackling and he's out-recruiting everybody in the Big XII for defensive talent. And he believes in a Pro Style offense. Whether Wickline can coach the line as well as Urban Meyer remains to be seen and whether Watson can coach QB's and offense like Urban Meyer remains to be seen, but Charlie's default position of running a Pro Style Offense is spot on.

Hey, Chip Kelley, how's your gimmick offense doing in the NFL? Not so well.

Saban and Meyer will continue to dominate college football because they know it's about the OL and the DL and being able to run the ball and stretch the field with a vertical passing game.

Take heart, Texas fans. While we are a couple of years away, we have a Coach who gets it.

Hook 'Em!

Originally posted by hoss1000:

that the Dallas Cowboys franchise has historically snubbed Longhorns in recruiting, relative to other B12 college players.
Jerry gave Leonard Davis a monster deal. Same with Roy Williams.

If Dallas hadn't shot themselves in the foot several times, it wins this game by 10+.
If they correctly call that a catch, and then Dallas scores on the next play, Rodgers still likely marches his team down in the 4+ minutes left and scores and the Packers win.

But at least they wouldve had that chance

Originally posted by atex720:

If they correctly call that a catch, and then Dallas scores on the next play, Rodgers still likely marches his team down in the 4+ minutes left and scores and the Packers win.

But at least they wouldve had that chance
Hell, they might have done it with enough time for Dallas to get the ball back themselves, especially if the refs don't botch the clock situation like they did.

Originally posted by msuhorn:
Originally posted by champ6369:
A Taylor Swift list = 10 Thoughts has jumped the shark.

It was a good run.
I'm hangin' in there 'till Air Supply
And yet, no Iron Maiden, Mozart or Tchaikovsky.

ketch, with all the talk of the new recruits coming in this june and a fair amount this month, im curious to get your thoughts on a few young guys we have coming back that i feel we havnt heard much about, where do you see john bonney, edwin freeman, and eric huhn fitting into the mix next year? i remember liking all three back when they were being recruited, specifically huhn who after redshirting is listed at 6'3 209 at safety. if i recall corrrectly they were all 5.7 3 stars you seem to be fond of, curious if they have potential to be suprise factors for us next year as sophmores?

Originally posted by tex17:
Originally posted by msuhorn:
Originally posted by champ6369:
A Taylor Swift list = 10 Thoughts has jumped the shark.

It was a good run.
I'm hangin' in there 'till Air Supply
And yet, no Iron Maiden, Mozart or Tchaikovsky.
None of them have a billion views on Youtube.
wink.r191677.gif

As I have come to understand the "catch" situation--The rule book requires that a player who catches the ball and begins the process of falling to the ground (FALLING TO THE GROUND) must have control the football all the way through hitting the ground and rolling/stopping movement. If this is not done then it is no catch, no matter what football moves were possible. This is not a regular catch, but when falling to the ground. So, nothing counts if this specific part of the rule is not completed (you can think of it as a prerequisite in this case). The football does move slightly as it touches the ground even though it seems Bryant has"control" of it. It might not seem right, but it is the rule and therefore not a catch by rule; that is why there will be no apology. Don't let your emotions get in the way of your understanding. Write to your congressman.

However, Charlie, if you're reading this, let's keep it real. If you're going to have Chris Vaughn and Brian Jean-Mary bird-dogging South Florida each year, you've got to have two others that can go into the Metroplex, Houston and East Texas and drop the damn microphone with their recruiting hustle.

That's what this staff needs more than anything else. Period. He doesn't automatically have to have Texas roots, but if he does, that's a positive. If it takes a lot of money to close the deal, do it. Coaches without a serious selection of 5-star and high 4-star recruiting skins on the wall shouldn't even bother to send in a resume.
Spot-on

Ok my wife and I are not Dallas fans. Yeah we are what you would call the opposite of Dallas fans.....As a Longhorn, hate me some Dez Bryant, can't forget what he did to us when he played at TT. Respect his game, still hate him. That being said, Dez caught the ball turned around made two steps and stuck the ball out to cross the goal line. If that's not a football move than I never played football! That call hurt the game of football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT