ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (An Arch commit in the distance?)

I never really thought Sark completely did right by Card at any point last year from the start of August until the end of the season.

Stay with me...

1. I thought he completely placated Casey Thompson throughout the summer in a way that wasn't completely fair to Card. There were moments behind the scenes when Thompson tested how much Sark would allow him to get away with and every time Sark emerged with nothing but glowing endorsements of Thompson to the media.

2. That really came to play when Card was announced when Sark spent the overwhelming majority of the discussion about his decision hyping up the back-up in the name of trying to keep him on campus and not one time in the entire press conference that featured his initial remarks about the decision did he really stop and praise Card in a way that would explain why he even came to the decision in the first place.

3. After he benched Card, he never really went out of his way to protect him to the media in the aftermath of him losing his job 7 quarters into it. He didn't mention his own failures inside of what happened or that Card was so inexperienced that everyone should calm down and not overreact. He just kind of left him hanging in the wind.

4. Once he lost the job, he never received the same considerations from Card, especially when talking to the public, that Thompson received in the summer, despite the fact that Thompson showed his ass a couple of times in camp, while Card just kept his head down and didn't cause a scene. People behind the scenes definitely noticed the double-standard.

5. Going back to point No.3, Sark had a chance before the end of the season to give even the smallest compliments to Card when asked about the future of Card and Thompson going into next year, and he punted.
Do you think Card is done after the fall? I know the business school degree is a big deal for him. Is he finished at the end of the fall semester?

Seeing him in the W. Virginia game it was such a difference than earlier in the year. I do respect the way he has handled everything.

Do you think Card is done after the fall? I know the business school degree is a big deal for him. Is he finished at the end of the fall semester?

Seeing him in the W. Virginia game it was such a difference than earlier in the year. I do respect the way he has handled everything.
I really don't know. Unlike Thompson, his camp keeps a very, very low profile. I think a more complete picture will be able to come into view after spring workouts.

I really don't know. Unlike Thompson, his camp keeps a very, very low profile. I think a more complete picture will be able to come into view after spring workouts.
Also, if he somehow gets thrust into the lineup and excels, who knows? I know there’s damage already done, but success/winning fixes a lot.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
Also, if he somehow gets thrust into the lineup and excels, who knows? I know there’s damage already done, but success/winning fixes a lot.
He's going to need a little bit of luck go his way that opens the door wide open for him to get that chance IMO

Reactions: McGuapo
I never really thought Sark completely did right by Card at any point last year from the start of August until the end of the season.

Stay with me...

1. I thought he completely placated Casey Thompson throughout the summer in a way that wasn't completely fair to Card. There were moments behind the scenes when Thompson tested how much Sark would allow him to get away with and every time Sark emerged with nothing but glowing endorsements of Thompson to the media.

2. That really came to play when Card was announced when Sark spent the overwhelming majority of the discussion about his decision hyping up the back-up in the name of trying to keep him on campus and not one time in the entire press conference that featured his initial remarks about the decision did he really stop and praise Card in a way that would explain why he even came to the decision in the first place.

3. After he benched Card, he never really went out of his way to protect him to the media in the aftermath of him losing his job 7 quarters into it. He didn't mention his own failures inside of what happened or that Card was so inexperienced that everyone should calm down and not overreact. He just kind of left him hanging in the wind.

4. Once he lost the job, he never received the same considerations from Card, especially when talking to the public, that Thompson received in the summer, despite the fact that Thompson showed his ass a couple of times in camp, while Card just kept his head down and didn't cause a scene. People behind the scenes definitely noticed the double-standard.

5. Going back to point No.3, Sark had a chance before the end of the season to give even the smallest compliments to Card when asked about the future of Card and Thompson going into next year, and he punted.

Dang Ketch this a lot of information. Some carefully worded explanations that hint at stuff behind the scenes from your sauces.

The basic premise that Sark didn’t do right by Card is a little bit of a stretch for me.

Card got the opportunity, and didn’t perform. You said last season that Sark, “didn’t throw in the towel earlier enough during a Drago fight,” against Arkansas. This criticism always bothered me a little because it seems like a no win situation. If Sark pulls Card at halftime vs Arkansas you would get a bunch of pundits claiming he didn’t give Card enough time to turn things around after halftime adjustments.

Sark had to leave Card in to prove he wasn’t processing the game speed fast enough to be effective.

I think at its core, Card looks like a million bucks during practice and struggled in real game pressure. The only way to find that out is to throw him to the wolves in a game.

All the points you made about Sark not protecting and complimenting Card with the media and some double standard regarding the treatment of CT is confusing.

I think maybe you took it personally that your evaluation of Card as having Aaron Rodgers talent didn’t show up in the games, and you’re blaming Sark.

Card got the opportunity, and didn’t perform. You said last season that Sark, “didn’t throw in the towel earlier enough during a Drago fight,” against Arkansas. This criticism always bothered me a little because it seems like a no win situation. If Sark pulls Card at halftime vs Arkansas you would get a bunch of pundits claiming he didn’t give Card enough time to turn things around after halftime adjustments.

I don't believe he would have. It wasn't working. I think almost everyone would have understood an earlier change.

Signed,
Then president of the Card fan Club

Reactions: bobarmstrong
Sounds like Card got the raw end and was never put in a possession to excel and Thompson had Sark by the balls. Bet Sark regrets allowing himeself to be corned into that position.

Also show how much of an ass CT was. Glad that toxic lowlife is gone

First: great job mens swimming team. You all make us proud. Second: baseball is a long season. The weekend in Lubbock exposed bad baseball. Im holding out this team will fix it. They are too damn good not to. Third: love the future of Ladies basketball. They had an amazing season. These young ladies have the perfect coach. Proud to say We Are All Texas Longhorns

Reactions: Ketchum
I don't believe he would have. It wasn't working. I think almost everyone would have understood an earlier change.

Signed,
Then president of the Card fan Club

then president of the Card fan club”

Clever.

Many, including Sark, were members of the Card fan club. No shame in changing your opinion after getting more data.

QB evaluations and projections are so difficult because the interplay of physical and mental.

Brees, Kingsbury, Applewhite, Colt didn’t have elite NFL arm strength, but they were accurate, leaders, and could read a defense fast enough to make the right decision. Heck Stetson Bennet just won a Natty.

Hopefully, Card or Quinn develop the mental abilities to match their elite physical talent.

What​

“It looked like he was already one of the UT guys. So I have a pretty good feeling about him."

Texas offensive line signee Kelvin Banks about Texas quarterback target Arch Manning to Orangebloods on Sunday.

From my perspective in the immediate aftermath of Arch Manning's unofficial visit to Texas, the thing that stood out the most was that the buzz from every single level of sources that Orangebloods communicated with about the visit seemed to mirror one another.

Arch's visit felt less like a recruiting trip and more like a return home.

On a weekend from which the Austin Chamber of Commerce will likely make postcards, it all just came together for the Longhorns in a serendipitous way. Perfect weather. Good times at every corner. Strengthening relationships.

When it concluded on Sunday, there was clearly less mystery about whether Manning will return to Austin for yet another visit in the coming months than the circumstances that might surround such a visit.

For instance, when Manning next returns, will he do so as a member of the 2023 recruiting class or will there still be an element of needing to close the deal that needs to take place?

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian can't put any football questions completely to bed in March after a 5-7 season in 2021, but everything else seems to be perfectly in place.

The Mannings love Sark. They love the school. They love the city.

So much of the hard stuff is already taken care of.

All eyes will return to Manning in the coming weeks when he finishes up his spring barnstorming tour. There's growing confidence that a commitment to the Longhorns can be seen looming in the distance, but it's hard to completely know how much pause from the football side of things will remain until a little more proof can be tasted in the pudding.

If a commitment is coming any time soon, it's going to be Texas. If this recruitment extends beyond the middle of May, the reasons why will be obvious.

For now, take extreme solace in the knowledge that in a world where perfection is so often impossible to achieve, the Longhorns might have actually achieved it this weekend with the collective presentation provided by the program, the city of Austin and weather.

No. 2 - Four things to know from the first week of camp ...

Here are the five things that stand out the most from the first three Texas spring football practices:

a. The quarterback battle is still in its infancy stage

Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will be Quinn Ewers' career in Austin. Saturday's turnover-plagued practice was a reminder that the 30+ practices that will take place between now and the first game of the season will represent a process. So, what should everyone make out of Saturday's practice? Not much. It was step two or 30+ that will take place.

b. The offensive line ain't yet right.

There have been more than a few jail breaks. There's just not enough depth. It really is a situation that makes everything we're watching have to be viewed with several grains of salt. For instance, how much of Saturday's turnover issues were related to young quarterbacks being young quarterbacks or young quarterbacks being young quarterbacks running for their life? These heralded freshmen better be ready because this position group is screaming for the cavalry to show up.

c. The offensive has firepower all over the field.

Bijan is Bijan. Roschon is Roschon. Jordan Whittington is healthy. Isaiah Neyor is what everyone hoped he would be. And Xavier Worthy? Enjoy him every minute while you can for the next 21 months.

d. Alfred Collins has his hands on the light switch.

There's no reason to go overboard with excitement right now because the path that still needs to be traveled with Collins is long, but the single most talented player on the Texas defense with the single highest-amount of raw upside is showing flashes early in camp that he might just realize his potential yet.

No. 3 - What if...

One of the lasting images of the early Mack Brown years occurred in 2003 when a young Texas defensive back named Cedric Griffin had a moment that threatened to define his career when he seemed to give a lack of effort on a play alongside the sideline in a 65-13 loss.

Eventually, he re-defined his career during back-to-back Rose Bowl winning seasons, but there was a time when every time his name was mentioned on the Internet, it was mentioned with negative overtones from fans who were just unwilling to see him as anything other than the guy who became the poster-child for a 52-point loss.

All these years later, you can't even find that play on Youtube. It's an afterthought of a memory for most for a player that went on to have a pretty storybook career when you consider some of the circumstances of his personal story.

He's always the reminder for me that you can't completely judge young players when they do young player things. Sometimes you have to give them room to spread their wings and when you do, they often will take flight.

When Kelvin Banks shows up in the fall, no one is going to give up on a five-star lineman if he struggles against Will Anderson in week two.

If Quinn Ewers throws four interceptions in the same game (potentially his second career start), it won't be an indictment on what he might just become by the end of the 2023 season.

All of these truths make me a bit befuddled by the judgment that has been rendered on Hudson Card following the Arkansas game last year. I would offer that dozens of Texas players that night were tossed aside like rag dolls by an Arkansas team that spanked UT's bottom with a paddle, but only one player truly wears a scarlet letter over what happened that night in such a way that nothing he does for the next five months will matter at all for fans of the program.

Deep down, he must wonder how in the world he's ended up in a place that no other player in the program resides in following a season that was so historically poor that the Arkansas game wasn't remotely the worst aspect of it.

He's been the better quarterback through three practices, which shouldn't be completely unexpected, but the overwhelming majority of the overwhelming majority of Texas fans don't even want to remotely hear that he's performed well in a practice.

Why?

Because of 40 minutes of the first road game he ever played as a collegiate player.

Fair or not, this is the world we live in and this is the hand that Card is suddenly playing with.

No. 4 - Close, but no cigar ...

Vic Schaefer's team knocked on the door on Sunday night, but they weren't quite ready to kick the door down.

But, it's coming.

That's the overriding message from Sunday night in a close loss in the Elite 8 against the defending national championships.

Rori Harmon will be back. THis team will be back. It's only a matter of time.

No. 5 - Trips to Lubbock can often suck ...

I'm almost at a loss for words over what happened in Lubbock this weekend in a series that defied reason and logic.

On one hand, Texas outhit the Red Raiders 49-22 over three games.

On the other hand, it lost two of the three games in some of the cruelest possible fashions, including a walk-off steal of home in game one and a grand slam in extra innings of game two after the Longhorns had rallied from being down 7-2 to take an 11-7 lead.

Baseball, man ...

It's a long season and after all of the brutal body blows were taken, the Longhorns came out and run-ruled Tech on Sunday and are a mere two games back in the loss department in the Big 12 standings. Not ideal, but not the end of the world, either.

Surviving this weekend took guts and we know this team has plenty of that. It's the pitching that we suddenly don't know if they have enough of.

No. 6 - Is Texas a golf school?

Ho-hum, just another Texas-ex taking over the No. 1 in the world ranking, the second in the last six years.

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …

BUY-SELL.gif

(Buy) I don't think either player is an issue for the other in the slightest. Ewers' plan is to be out of Austin by the time Manning will be ready to compete for the starting job. Meanwhile, the presence of Ewers means that Manning can show up on campus in his first year without the weight of the world being on his shoulders. That pressure only belongs to one for now.

(Sell) It's not off the table, but I would definitely expect a top-3 type of class.

(Sell) It feels like the kind of club that owning a national title requires entry into. Obviously, Eddie Reese has his, but Vic's not there yet, while Edrick Floréal just took the Texas men to an indoor national title last week that I wasn't sure any of us would ever see.

(Buy) Sure. That list feels fine.

(Buy) In the last 20 years, here is the list of quarterback prospects that finished No. 1 overall in their recruiting classes:

Vince Young (2002)
Jimmy Claussen (2007)
Terrelle Pryor (2008)
Trevor Lawrence (2018)
Quinn Ewers (2021)

Of the four players that have completed their eligibility, two were top-5 picks in the NFL Draft and the other two were drafted in the second and third rounds, respectively. That's a 50 percent rate of being a player worthy of having a statue when he's done playing and a 100-percent rate of going in the third round at the absolute latest. Five-star quarterbacks typically get drafted at a 75-percent clip. If there's ever been a guy that should be bust-proof, the math says Manning has to be up there on the list.

(Sell) I don't know that it would mean that at all. He could just as easily be starting by week three and leaving at the end of 2023 in that situation as he would be staying three years.

(Sell) I don't think any program in the country ever has 90+ percent buy-in from its players. That doesn't leave a lot of room for unhappiness and in my mind. You can always count on there being a chunk of players that are less than completely bought in. Also, the optimism last off-season was higher than it was this off-season. Hell, Sarkisian was talking about a rematch with Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship game in the immediate aftermath of the loss in Dallas last October.

(Buy) Texas women's basketball has been in the wilderness enough in the last two decades. Give the man whatever he needs/wants.

(Buy) He's the No. 1 prospect in the country. Trust me, a lot will be written about him, even if he doesn't live on the camp circuit.

(Sell) It's hard to know what Murphy's career is going to look like, but I'm not sure that a Manning commitment automatically translates to Murphy's departure. Murphy has more fight in him than that.

(Sell) I don't expect Hutson to start this season.

(Sell) Being a Manning has never guaranteed that.

(Sell) That's a level of benefit of the doubt that hasn't remotely been earned.

No. 8 - Scattershooting on the sports weekend ...

... Man, the Elite 8 games were hot garbage.

... I can't believe the basketball gods are giving us a Duke/UNC game in the Final Four at the end of the Coach K’s Farewell Tour. No game in the history of the rivalry has ever had higher stakes. Wowzers.

... Nice job, St. Peter's. You balled out all the way to the Elite 8. No one can ever take that away from you.

... Kansas looked unbeatable in the second half on Sunday against Miami.

... Enjoy retirement, Triple H. Here's hoping that you've got decades of life left to enjoy it.

... What a fraud.

... I always find myself rooting for any team that Kevin Durant plays on, but Kyrie Irving makes it so tough.

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 sports movies about women ...

I finally got around to watching King Richard this weekend and I have to say ... I freaking loved it.

It reminded me that the story of the Williams sisters has to be one of the more improbable things we've ever seen in sports. At one point in the movie, Will Smith (playing Richard Williams) is asked if he truly thinks he has a couple of Mozarts in a single household, considering that producing even a single Mozart is more than a million to one shot.

The movie made me laugh and cry, while reminding me that real-life success stories often make the best movies. As soon as it was over, it occurred to me that I might have just finished the single-best sports movie about women that I've ever seen.

It's too far for me to go in the moment, but it's definitely in the discussion and Sunday's Oscars win for Will Smith will ensure that the movie has a long-term historical reservation.

10. Whip It..
9. The Cutting Edge
8. Bend it Like Beckham
7. Battle of the Sexes
6. I, Tonya
5. Million Dollar Baby
4. Love and Basketball
3. King Richard
2. Bring It On
1. A League of Their Own

No. 10 - And Finally...

Haven softball Update: After some practice this week on her swing, 8-year old haven emerged from her game this weekend with the best contact of any batter I've seen in any game in our 8U league, driving a ball off the best pitcher in the league into center field.

Fielding is a work in progress, as it throwing the ball from second to first, but she might have the highest OPS in the league, despite batting last in the line-up.
*Breath of relief* It feels good to be back and back with my Longhorn Brother and Sisters. Finally caught up and now I'm home. That's why I've been MIA for awhile. Had significant financial issues but I'm here and I'm home. It's good to be back.

Now couple of things,
Number 1 I really do hope we get Arch Manning but do I think it will completely fix our issues? Nope. Offensive line long way to go. Secondary big question. Also the elephant in the room, is Sark the long term answer and is he the right coach to lead us into the era of the SEC? I'm gonna say No but I really hope I'm wrong because who else is out there.

Ever since that 4th and 11 call in Dallas during RRR last year, where we should've had Dicker the kicker kick the FG to break the tie and gave our DEFENSE one last chance to make a stop (which I guarantee you they would've) but instead we had to go for it, and we failed. That's when it all fell apart because what Sark did was tell the Defense I do not believe in you. That is when it all fell apart. Did anybody else notice that? Because I sure did. Defense wasnt the same since. Because that game against Texas Tech holy shit did we look unstoppable on defense but since RRR, Defense fell apart. That is on Sark. The 4th and 11 call in Waco one week later where we tried to do a fake punt pass, very stupid. And then to Lose at home under the Lights to Kansas, holy crap I was at that game and damn was I pissed off.

Right now, it doesn't matter who is brought in, I have serious questions about Sark. Because he's made some very stupid calls. I want to root for him and IAM rooting for him but damn he's got major question marks. Boosters are for another day And same with Tom Herman. But I do have questions and reservations about Sark

By the way, the week 2 game against Alabama will show us how really ready we are against SEC competition on a yearly basis. And if we have made significant progress

Also @Ketchum I got a massive buy or sell for next week.
B/S, Alabama-Texas should 100 percent be a night game and get the ESPN treatment. (college gameday and all)

Reactions: Ketchum
Sounds like Card got the raw end and was never put in a possession to excel and Thompson had Sark by the balls. Bet Sark regrets allowing himeself to be corned into that position.

Also show how much of an ass CT was. Glad that toxic lowlife is gone
That's not exactly fair. CT was far from a toxic lowlife. Honestly, that feels like the kind of thing you need to apologize for.

Yes, he used his leverage and, yes, his coaches allowed him to do so out of fear, but you went too far.

Reactions: KTroot and darrenj
First: great job mens swimming team. You all make us proud. Second: baseball is a long season. The weekend in Lubbock exposed bad baseball. Im holding out this team will fix it. They are too damn good not to. Third: love the future of Ladies basketball. They had an amazing season. These young ladies have the perfect coach. Proud to say We Are All Texas Longhorns
Thanks for posting!

then president of the Card fan club”

Clever.

Many, including Sark, were members of the Card fan club. No shame in changing your opinion after getting more data.

QB evaluations and projections are so difficult because the interplay of physical and mental.

Brees, Kingsbury, Applewhite, Colt didn’t have elite NFL arm strength, but they were accurate, leaders, and could read a defense fast enough to make the right decision. Heck Stetson Bennet just won a Natty.

Hopefully, Card or Quinn develop the mental abilities to match their elite physical talent.
I haven't changed my opinion, I just gave up my position of authority in the club.

Reactions: bobarmstrong
*Breath of relief* It feels good to be back and back with my Longhorn Brother and Sisters. Finally caught up and now I'm home. That's why I've been MIA for awhile. Had significant financial issues but I'm here and I'm home. It's good to be back.

Now couple of things,
Number 1 I really do hope we get Arch Manning but do I think it will completely fix our issues? Nope. Offensive line long way to go. Secondary big question. Also the elephant in the room, is Sark the long term answer and is he the right coach to lead us into the era of the SEC? I'm gonna say No but I really hope I'm wrong because who else is out there.

Ever since that 4th and 11 call in Dallas during RRR last year, where we should've had Dicker the kicker kick the FG to break the tie and gave our DEFENSE one last chance to make a stop (which I guarantee you they would've) but instead we had to go for it, and we failed. That's when it all fell apart because what Sark did was tell the Defense I do not believe in you. That is when it all fell apart. Did anybody else notice that? Because I sure did. Defense wasnt the same since. Because that game against Texas Tech holy shit did we look unstoppable on defense but since RRR, Defense fell apart. That is on Sark. The 4th and 11 call in Waco one week later where we tried to do a fake punt pass, very stupid. And then to Lose at home under the Lights to Kansas, holy crap I was at that game and damn was I pissed off.

Right now, it doesn't matter who is brought in, I have serious questions about Sark. Because he's made some very stupid calls. I want to root for him and IAM rooting for him but damn he's got major question marks. Boosters are for another day And same with Tom Herman. But I do have questions and reservations about Sark

By the way, the week 2 game against Alabama will show us how really ready we are against SEC competition on a yearly basis. And if we have made significant progress

Also @Ketchum I got a massive buy or sell for next week.
B/S, Alabama-Texas should 100 percent be a night game and get the ESPN treatment. (college gameday and all)
a. welcome back.

b. buy

That's not exactly fair. CT was far from a toxic lowlife. Honestly, that feels like the kind of thing you need to apologize for.

Yes, he used his leverage and, yes, his coaches allowed him to do so out of fear, but you went too far.
Don't think anything i said was wrong. Formers players have said the lock room was toxic, you had current players essentially calling out CT for his comments re NIL at NU and openly campaigned for QE while CT was still on the roster. Actions speak loud and clear in this scenario.

Any time you actively quit or try and quit on you team just because you aren't the starter speaks volumes. Even worse when you do it 3 times and quietly enroll at OU. He fought when he played here and i commend him especially playing through injury, but the way he handled many things here speaks a lot about his character. Last thing i'll say on that.

Don't think anything i said was wrong. Formers players have said the lock room was toxic, you had current players essentially calling out CT for his comments re NIL at NU and openly campaigned for QE while CT was still on the roster. Actions speak loud and clear in this scenario.

Any time you actively quit or try and quit on you team just because you aren't the starter speaks volumes. Even worse when you do it 3 times and quietly enroll at OU. He fought when he played here and i commend him especially playing through injury, but the way he handled many things here speaks a lot about his character. Last thing i'll say on that.
You called him a toxic lowlife.

It's unneeded and should be beneath you. JMO.

I hear you, but we're 18 hours and 205 responses into the reaction from the column and you're really the first one to disagree. 🤷‍♂️
I, like many, don’t want to have an active fight over the QB’s . Most support all of our QB’s and we know we will need more than one this season.

Yeah, I mean Jesus. The kid had an agenda, but most of them do, especially QB's, hence why we have Ewers. I'm sure some fans at tOSU think he's an entitled so and so.

So Owens was supposed to be there this past weekend but did not actually show up? Or did he? I should have been more clear on my last question. Lol

It's called an opinion. If you have an issue, delete the comment. any further issues, we've already got an open DM thread. Outside of that, i've said my first and last comments on him.

It's called an opinion. If you have an issue, delete the comment. any further issues, we've already got an open DM thread. Outside of that, i've said my first and last comments on him.
You had an opinion, I had an opinion. No need to discuss further.

Reactions: Txhorns10
ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

“It looked like he was already one of the UT guys. So I have a pretty good feeling about him."

Texas offensive line signee Kelvin Banks about Texas quarterback target Arch Manning to Orangebloods on Sunday.

From my perspective in the immediate aftermath of Arch Manning's unofficial visit to Texas, the thing that stood out the most was that the buzz from every single level of sources that Orangebloods communicated with about the visit seemed to mirror one another.

Arch's visit felt less like a recruiting trip and more like a return home.

On a weekend from which the Austin Chamber of Commerce will likely make postcards, it all just came together for the Longhorns in a serendipitous way. Perfect weather. Good times at every corner. Strengthening relationships.

When it concluded on Sunday, there was clearly less mystery about whether Manning will return to Austin for yet another visit in the coming months than the circumstances that might surround such a visit.

For instance, when Manning next returns, will he do so as a member of the 2023 recruiting class or will there still be an element of needing to close the deal that needs to take place?

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian can't put any football questions completely to bed in March after a 5-7 season in 2021, but everything else seems to be perfectly in place.

The Mannings love Sark. They love the school. They love the city.

So much of the hard stuff is already taken care of.

All eyes will return to Manning in the coming weeks when he finishes up his spring barnstorming tour. There's growing confidence that a commitment to the Longhorns can be seen looming in the distance, but it's hard to completely know how much pause from the football side of things will remain until a little more proof can be tasted in the pudding.

If a commitment is coming any time soon, it's going to be Texas. If this recruitment extends beyond the middle of May, the reasons why will be obvious.

For now, take extreme solace in the knowledge that in a world where perfection is so often impossible to achieve, the Longhorns might have actually achieved it this weekend with the collective presentation provided by the program, the city of Austin and weather.

No. 2 - Four things to know from the first week of camp ...

Here are the five things that stand out the most from the first three Texas spring football practices:

a. The quarterback battle is still in its infancy stage

Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will be Quinn Ewers' career in Austin. Saturday's turnover-plagued practice was a reminder that the 30+ practices that will take place between now and the first game of the season will represent a process. So, what should everyone make out of Saturday's practice? Not much. It was step two or 30+ that will take place.

b. The offensive line ain't yet right.

There have been more than a few jail breaks. There's just not enough depth. It really is a situation that makes everything we're watching have to be viewed with several grains of salt. For instance, how much of Saturday's turnover issues were related to young quarterbacks being young quarterbacks or young quarterbacks being young quarterbacks running for their life? These heralded freshmen better be ready because this position group is screaming for the cavalry to show up.

c. The offensive has firepower all over the field.

Bijan is Bijan. Roschon is Roschon. Jordan Whittington is healthy. Isaiah Neyor is what everyone hoped he would be. And Xavier Worthy? Enjoy him every minute while you can for the next 21 months.

d. Alfred Collins has his hands on the light switch.

There's no reason to go overboard with excitement right now because the path that still needs to be traveled with Collins is long, but the single most talented player on the Texas defense with the single highest-amount of raw upside is showing flashes early in camp that he might just realize his potential yet.

No. 3 - What if...

One of the lasting images of the early Mack Brown years occurred in 2003 when a young Texas defensive back named Cedric Griffin had a moment that threatened to define his career when he seemed to give a lack of effort on a play alongside the sideline in a 65-13 loss.

Eventually, he re-defined his career during back-to-back Rose Bowl winning seasons, but there was a time when every time his name was mentioned on the Internet, it was mentioned with negative overtones from fans who were just unwilling to see him as anything other than the guy who became the poster-child for a 52-point loss.

All these years later, you can't even find that play on Youtube. It's an afterthought of a memory for most for a player that went on to have a pretty storybook career when you consider some of the circumstances of his personal story.

He's always the reminder for me that you can't completely judge young players when they do young player things. Sometimes you have to give them room to spread their wings and when you do, they often will take flight.

When Kelvin Banks shows up in the fall, no one is going to give up on a five-star lineman if he struggles against Will Anderson in week two.

If Quinn Ewers throws four interceptions in the same game (potentially his second career start), it won't be an indictment on what he might just become by the end of the 2023 season.

All of these truths make me a bit befuddled by the judgment that has been rendered on Hudson Card following the Arkansas game last year. I would offer that dozens of Texas players that night were tossed aside like rag dolls by an Arkansas team that spanked UT's bottom with a paddle, but only one player truly wears a scarlet letter over what happened that night in such a way that nothing he does for the next five months will matter at all for fans of the program.

Deep down, he must wonder how in the world he's ended up in a place that no other player in the program resides in following a season that was so historically poor that the Arkansas game wasn't remotely the worst aspect of it.

He's been the better quarterback through three practices, which shouldn't be completely unexpected, but the overwhelming majority of the overwhelming majority of Texas fans don't even want to remotely hear that he's performed well in a practice.

Why?

Because of 40 minutes of the first road game he ever played as a collegiate player.

Fair or not, this is the world we live in and this is the hand that Card is suddenly playing with.

No. 4 - Close, but no cigar ...

Vic Schaefer's team knocked on the door on Sunday night, but they weren't quite ready to kick the door down.

But, it's coming.

That's the overriding message from Sunday night in a close loss in the Elite 8 against the defending national championships.

Rori Harmon will be back. THis team will be back. It's only a matter of time.

No. 5 - Trips to Lubbock can often suck ...

I'm almost at a loss for words over what happened in Lubbock this weekend in a series that defied reason and logic.

On one hand, Texas outhit the Red Raiders 49-22 over three games.

On the other hand, it lost two of the three games in some of the cruelest possible fashions, including a walk-off steal of home in game one and a grand slam in extra innings of game two after the Longhorns had rallied from being down 7-2 to take an 11-7 lead.

Baseball, man ...

It's a long season and after all of the brutal body blows were taken, the Longhorns came out and run-ruled Tech on Sunday and are a mere two games back in the loss department in the Big 12 standings. Not ideal, but not the end of the world, either.

Surviving this weekend took guts and we know this team has plenty of that. It's the pitching that we suddenly don't know if they have enough of.

No. 6 - Is Texas a golf school?

Ho-hum, just another Texas-ex taking over the No. 1 in the world ranking, the second in the last six years.

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …

BUY-SELL.gif

(Buy) I don't think either player is an issue for the other in the slightest. Ewers' plan is to be out of Austin by the time Manning will be ready to compete for the starting job. Meanwhile, the presence of Ewers means that Manning can show up on campus in his first year without the weight of the world being on his shoulders. That pressure only belongs to one for now.

(Sell) It's not off the table, but I would definitely expect a top-3 type of class.

(Sell) It feels like the kind of club that owning a national title requires entry into. Obviously, Eddie Reese has his, but Vic's not there yet, while Edrick Floréal just took the Texas men to an indoor national title last week that I wasn't sure any of us would ever see.

(Buy) Sure. That list feels fine.

(Buy) In the last 20 years, here is the list of quarterback prospects that finished No. 1 overall in their recruiting classes:

Vince Young (2002)
Jimmy Claussen (2007)
Terrelle Pryor (2008)
Trevor Lawrence (2018)
Quinn Ewers (2021)

Of the four players that have completed their eligibility, two were top-5 picks in the NFL Draft and the other two were drafted in the second and third rounds, respectively. That's a 50 percent rate of being a player worthy of having a statue when he's done playing and a 100-percent rate of going in the third round at the absolute latest. Five-star quarterbacks typically get drafted at a 75-percent clip. If there's ever been a guy that should be bust-proof, the math says Manning has to be up there on the list.

(Sell) I don't know that it would mean that at all. He could just as easily be starting by week three and leaving at the end of 2023 in that situation as he would be staying three years.

(Sell) I don't think any program in the country ever has 90+ percent buy-in from its players. That doesn't leave a lot of room for unhappiness and in my mind. You can always count on there being a chunk of players that are less than completely bought in. Also, the optimism last off-season was higher than it was this off-season. Hell, Sarkisian was talking about a rematch with Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship game in the immediate aftermath of the loss in Dallas last October.

(Buy) Texas women's basketball has been in the wilderness enough in the last two decades. Give the man whatever he needs/wants.

(Buy) He's the No. 1 prospect in the country. Trust me, a lot will be written about him, even if he doesn't live on the camp circuit.

(Sell) It's hard to know what Murphy's career is going to look like, but I'm not sure that a Manning commitment automatically translates to Murphy's departure. Murphy has more fight in him than that.

(Sell) I don't expect Hutson to start this season.

(Sell) Being a Manning has never guaranteed that.

(Sell) That's a level of benefit of the doubt that hasn't remotely been earned.

No. 8 - Scattershooting on the sports weekend ...

... Man, the Elite 8 games were hot garbage.

... I can't believe the basketball gods are giving us a Duke/UNC game in the Final Four at the end of the Coach K’s Farewell Tour. No game in the history of the rivalry has ever had higher stakes. Wowzers.

... Nice job, St. Peter's. You balled out all the way to the Elite 8. No one can ever take that away from you.

... Kansas looked unbeatable in the second half on Sunday against Miami.

... Enjoy retirement, Triple H. Here's hoping that you've got decades of life left to enjoy it.

... What a fraud.

... I always find myself rooting for any team that Kevin Durant plays on, but Kyrie Irving makes it so tough.

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 sports movies about women ...

I finally got around to watching King Richard this weekend and I have to say ... I freaking loved it.

It reminded me that the story of the Williams sisters has to be one of the more improbable things we've ever seen in sports. At one point in the movie, Will Smith (playing Richard Williams) is asked if he truly thinks he has a couple of Mozarts in a single household, considering that producing even a single Mozart is more than a million to one shot.

The movie made me laugh and cry, while reminding me that real-life success stories often make the best movies. As soon as it was over, it occurred to me that I might have just finished the single-best sports movie about women that I've ever seen.

It's too far for me to go in the moment, but it's definitely in the discussion and Sunday's Oscars win for Will Smith will ensure that the movie has a long-term historical reservation.

10. Whip It..
9. The Cutting Edge
8. Bend it Like Beckham
7. Battle of the Sexes
6. I, Tonya
5. Million Dollar Baby
4. Love and Basketball
3. King Richard
2. Bring It On
1. A League of Their Own

No. 10 - And Finally...

Haven softball Update: After some practice this week on her swing, 8-year old haven emerged from her game this weekend with the best contact of any batter I've seen in any game in our 8U league, driving a ball off the best pitcher in the league into center field.

Fielding is a work in progress, as it throwing the ball from second to first, but she might have the highest OPS in the league, despite batting last in the line-up.
@Ketchum , I agree on your Card comments. As a matter of fact, we had a short conversation on the board last season that Card for the majority of the season (to me) just looked like he didn't even belong on the field. I think I said he looked like a Jr. High QB trying to play Varsity. However, I also said that it looked like the switch flipped in his last game and although he was not perfect, he looked comfortable and like he belonged on the field. I think your comparison to Ewers is spot on! We can't go into the season thinking a kid with his lack of game experieince is going to look like Aaron Rodgers right out of the gate. It may take a little time, but there is no question he is a VERY talented young man! I'm actually pretty excited about the QB room with Quinn and after the final game of the saeson last year with Hudson. In the last game Hudson just felt like a completely different QB to me than earlier in the year (and yes an OL that was amongst the worst on the planet didn't help the situation with a young QB and won't this year either if we don't get it fixed). I am NOT one to get overly excited abouto practice reps period, so we will just have to wait and see next season. However, the end of last season made me pretty optimistic that Hudson may start bringing the talent he shows in practice to the game frield and not be overwhelmed! Very excited an Quinn but have not at all given up on Hudson.

Last edited:
@Ketchum , I agree on your Card comments. As a matter of fact, we had a short conversation on the board last season that Card for the majority of the season (to me) just looked like he didn't even belong on the field. I think I said he looked like a Jr. High QB trying to play Varsity. However, I also said that it looked like the switch flipped in his last game and althgouh he was not perfect, he looked comfortable and like he belonged on the field. I think your comparison to Ewers is spot on! We can't go into the season thinking a kid with his lack of game experieince is going to look like Aaron Rodgers right out of the gate. It may take a little time, but there is no question he is a VERY talented young man! I'm actually pretty excited about the QB room with Quinn and after the final game of the saeson last year with Hudson. In the last game Hudson just felt like a completely different QB to me than earlier in the year (and yes an OL that was amongst the worst on the planet didn't help the situation with a young QB and won't this year either if we don't get it fixed). I am NOT one to get overly excited abouto practice reps period so we will jsut have to wait and see nextg season. However, the end of last season made me pretty optimiostic that Hudson may start bringing the talent he shows in practice top the game frield and not be overwhelmed! VEry excited an Quinn but havfe not at all given up on Hudson.

It's nice to have three incredibly skilled quarterbacks on campus at the same time.

It's nice to have three incredibly skilled quarterbacks on campus at the same time.
Agreed and am very excited about Malik as well, but with his injury etc. seem to be pointing towards redshirt or at least a QB 3 to start with since he will be behind in prep.

Agreed and am very excited about Malik as well, but with his injury etc. seem to be pointing towards redshirt or at least a QB 3 to start with since he will be behind in prep.
Maalik might be the most talented of them all.

Maalik might be the most talented of them all.
For our sake, please baby Jesus let it be so! I'm liking what your selling! He is somewehat of the wild card to me only becuase of seeing a smal;ler sample size of him playing. I know he has the leadership traits in spades and seem to be a terrific kid. As for the QB room, ask Tom Brady, you can start one year in college (or less) and end up a HOF NFL QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT