ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Dear Tom, we might not be smart, but we're not stupid...)

The criticism is .. borderline unprofessional imo

If I want to read that I’ll read member posts and comments

I have not lost all hope in Tom like some have, but I do find it very curious & comical that the same guy can roll his eyes at & totally poo-poo the idea of "momentum" in football, and at the same time say he went with the player with the "hot hand."
The two seem very similar to me.
Maybe we're just not smart enough to see the stochastic tendencies inherent in hot-handedness, while having the vision to understand that the next random occurrence will still be in our favor. It's not easy being the smartest guy in the room; in fact, it's hell.

We are going to find out in the next few games if Tom Herman has what it takes to be a successful head coach at Texas...the team is at a turning point...he can turn things around or the team can settle into another year of mediocrity. It's a high-risk situation that will determine his career at Texas.
Mediocrity would be a nice surprise for me, given how I feel about what we saw on Saturday, as much as it pains me to say it.

It's obvious the leash is very short for Herman on this board because we all got burned by Charlie. We've seen this before and aren't giving anyone the benefit of the doubt especially if he's going to be a prick. There was a small group who favored giving Charlie a fourth year but if 3 games into year 3 things aren't better Herman may not make it through the season.
Yeah, Charlie got more leash from me because I felt more invested in him as a person, not just the coach of my Longhorns, because he **wasn't** a prick. This guy, I ONLY want to succeed in spite of himself, because of my investment in my Longhorns team. Likability went out the window early with him.

If you’re not showing vast improvement by the end of year two, you don’t have the guy. Herman still has time to fix it, but the bad losses are mounting.

Reactions: torin42 and BobHorn

I apologize for the magnitude of that, but I feel like the article is far too close to offering personal insults and attacks, far too much in that direction.
I can understand why some reporters may not like Coach Herman's style, for example during press conferences.

We didn't win and none of us are happy about it.
But the reaction here is insane.

my 2 cents

Herman's responses to question the questioner about his knowledge is akin to Mackovic.. we know how that relationship went

what are Sam's 4th quarter stats?

and was they hottie you speak of from nam?

Reactions: BobHorn
I apologize for the magnitude of that, but I feel like the article is far too close to offering personal insults and attacks, far too much in that direction.
I can understand why some reporters may not like Coach Herman's style, for example during press conferences.

We didn't win and none of us are happy about it.
But the reaction here is insane.
what was a personal insult?

my 2 cents

Herman's responses to question the questioner about his knowledge is akin to Mackovic.. we know how that relationship went

what are Sam's 4th quarter stats?

and was they hottie you speak of from nam?
a. 9 of 17 for 73 yards and 2 picks, I believe.

b. yes

I said it earlier in another thread & I’ll say it again, as as long as the players play to not make mistakes for fear of being benched because of said mistake (except for SE...obviously), we will never see the full game potential of any player under this coaching staff. Coach them up during practice and cut them loose on game day without fear of sitting if an aggressive mistake is made.
Herman did the same by putting in Porter. Fear.

Matt Canada absolutely torched Texas
It'll be interesting to see if he ends up becoming a bigger name down the road or if he's just a JAG that caught the right team and coaching staff on the right day.

Reactions: Indyhorn
Because they had better players at key positions?

So I am wondering if that isn't the real problem here? Not that I want to sound like what the OU fans have been saying for several years, but is the Big 12 such a diminished conference that we can't get the key talent? I know we have had some success in recruiting, but where are the beefcakes that really make a difference? I know we have landed a few (Malik J), but do we really have the ability to recruit a substantial number of these guys so that we have the overpowering teams? How many coaches do we have to go through before we realize its a bigger problem?

So I am wondering if that isn't the real problem here? Not that I want to sound like what the OU fans have been saying for several years, but is the Big 12 such a diminished conference that we can't get the key talent? I know we have had some success in recruiting, but where are the beefcakes that really make a difference? I know we have landed a few (Malik J), but do we really have the ability to recruit a substantial number of these guys so that we have the overpowering teams? How many coaches do we have to go through before we realize its a bigger problem?
I have to believe Maryland coaches would have traded rosters in June is the offer had been made.

and yet even more so because it's almost certainly 100-percent true.
Ketch,
Most of the time, I am jealous of you guys getting to make a living covering something you are passionate about. After weekends like this, when I can ignore the rags and you have to dive in to write about whatever the nauseating debacle was, I am thanking for a boring job. You guys have to deal with it even when you want time to recover. Blah.

Ketch,
Most of the time, I am jealous of you guys getting to make a living covering something you are passionate about. After weekends like this, when I can ignore the rags and you have to dive in to write about whatever the nauseating debacle was, I am thanking for a boring job. You guys have to deal with it even when you want time to recover. Blah.
Too much sweet stuff will kill you I guess.;)

I hope in the off-season, Herman does some sincere contemplation regarding clock management in the last half of 4th quarters. That's a part of the game that is a game within itself!

We all understand 2 minute drills. But let's say you get the ball back with 6 minutes left, and less then a 3 point deficit, tied, or a less than 8 point lead. Is the goal to score quickly, or to Win The Game?

I'd suggest the first order of business is to Win The Game at that stage! You should only score quickly if you can put the game out of reach! It is not wise to give the ball back with ample time to high-powered Big 12 offenses when our D has already given up over 30 points. Bleeding the clock becomes very important!

I know, I know!! Fumbles, interceptions, penalties, bad execution. bad calls by the refs, etc. can all happen! But you don't Ass U Me that they will, and deliberately give the ball back to Heisman candidate QBs with a viable pathway to beating you. The OU pattern is the right call! Even Kyler can't do much with 16 seconds left and a full field!

Also, icing the kicker when the game isn't on the line, just because you've got Time Outs to spare is simply poor sportsmanship. There's no intensified pressure applied. You just gave everybody a breather, nothing more. When the game IS on the line, the strategy makes some sense, and occasionally works!

I'm proud of our progress this year, and see even brighter days ahead under Herman. But a little humility is not a sign of weakness. It is a sign of wisdom, not just "smarts"!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT