ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Goodbye LSU, hello Manhattan season-opener?)

In no real order my top 10 of Cruise movies:

Top Gun
Risky Business
Rain Man
A Few Good Men
Jerry Maguire
Last Samurai
All The Right Moves
Cocktail
Days of Thunder
Collateral

Interesting note for me about Cruise is that since 2004's Collateral, I've literally seen only 2 of his movies in which he was the lead. MI-III and American Made. FWIW, American Made is a very solid movie.

Oh and tom cruise movies:
1. Eyes Wide Shut
2. Collateral
3. Magnolia
4. Tropic Thunder
5. Risky Business
6. Ghost Protocol
7. Minority Report
8. Top Gun
9. Mission Impossible
10. Last Samurai

This. I also don’t even think Top Gun makes the Top 5. Lists is missing Outsiders, Cocktail, Tropic Thunder, Interview with a Vampire, All the Right Moves, Risky Business or the Firm.

You can't really not list Top Gun as a top 5 movie. I mean, it's only the movie that singularly made Tom Cruise the star that he's been for 30+ years now. FWIW, his roles in Outsiders and Tropic Thunder are relatively small. Particularly Outsiders.

There is a way. Others are showing how it's done. We have to pay attention.
It can happen but have to get the virus spread under control - we all need to be social distancing and wearing masks and washing hands - if we don't do that, there are no creative ideas that will save the season. It's up to all of us to do our part #wearmasks #doourpart #socialdistance

Texas would get OU in the second week of the season and while that probably favors the team not starting a baby at the quarterback position, playing that game so early in the season has a high risk/high downside potential.

The same scenario would play out if regular season was played with LSU in week 2. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10. Magnolia
9. The Last Samuri
8. Eyes Wide Shut
7. Edge of Tomorrow
6. Jerry Maguire
5. Rain Man
4. The Color of Money
3. Mission Impossible
2. A Few Good Men
1. Top Gun

I’m not the biggest TC fan, but not having “Born on the Fourth of July” in the top 10 makes this list wrong. He’s been nominated for an Oscar 3 times, (Magnolia and Jerry Maguire being the other two), and when that movie came out in 1990, there was big buzz about him winning the Oscar for that role. It’s got to be at least in the Top 10, at worst replacing your current #10.

Reactions: tex17
During a day-dreaming episode earlier this week, I started to wonder how different Texas football might have looked if Shea Morenz had never lost his job to James Brown in 1994 and potentially bypassed a pro baseball career in the name of playing quarterback for Texas.

80449515d96a36829797da9202d66964.gif

I just have one question that you have to have a damn good answer for before you can convince me that there SHOULD be college football in the fall. What gives you any hope that the coronavirus situation in America will be any better by the time we're supposed to be kicking off than it is right now?
Hope? Maybe blind, but hope?

Reactions: Travis Galey
We romanticize Top Gun but we recently went back for a rewatch with the kids, thinking it was a classic. It doesn’t hold up. The acting was so corny. A 5 foot 6 Tom Cruise stepping into the middle of Val Kilmer’s chest, “That’s right, I AM DANGEROUS.” Good lord it’s bad.

Few Good Men is clearly number 1 and for my money American Made is an easy number 2.

Reactions: Change My Name
Ketch, why is playing at Manhatten intimidating with only 20,000 fans present?

What is the actual story with Overshown? Is he dealing with a personal issue or is he sitting out because The Eyes of Texas is still a thing?

In the Ivy League where football is a money loser, not a money maker, and sports in general take their rightful place as minor distractions at an institute of higher learning, they made the decision to cancel all fall athletics.

This would be a good time for collegiate athletics model across the U.S. to be reexamined for purpose and fit in our higher education system.

Because that’s the place we seem to lose at unnecessarily more than Lubbock and Ames.
True, but with so few fans this year? Hard to believe we're going to be intimidated this year when we clearly hve a much better team and will be favored by 14 points.

K-State in Manhattan for the opener after they've already played a warm up roadie at WVU. You can put an L in the books for that one.

And then we play 9 straight without a break because we've taken our off week before the season started? No thanks on that schedule.

What is the actual story with Overshown? Is he dealing with a personal issue or is he sitting out because The Eyes of Texas is still a thing?

1. You aren't going to get the "actual story" on Overshown for whatever reason. See Malcolm Williams circa 2009.
2. Although we won't get the "actual story" on Overshown, just reading tree leaves it's not really about The Eyes.

I just don’t see any way there will be high school or college football this year. 2020 suks the big one. Thanks China.
When you blame others, you ignore what you could have done better. The US, you might think, has collectively been stupid and dysfunctional in how it has tried to deal with this if you look at our curves vs. the rest of the world. And about 1/3 of the country still thinks this thing is a hoax. They know better than the doctors fighting it and the scientists. And some of our leaders seem to buy into the same conspiratorial theories or follow the lead of those that do. Its crazy how people can be so selectively stupid. In any case, I think we could have substantially improved our response if we hadn't politicized a pandemic. But we could blame all of China as you suggest (as Trump encourages us to do). We could also be hostile to any Asian we see since this pandemic started in Asia. Maybe we can even beat up a few Asians if we see them on the street since its their fault. But since we are going down this path, we need to punish the army and everyone from Kansas as the Spanish Flu started at an army outpost in Kansas. Or maybe we should punish the entire US? Maybe the US should make reparations to the rest of the world for the Spanish Flu.

All satire aside, can we stop blaming China and focus on what we can and should do better to minimize this. It's not about the next election.

Reactions: JWHD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT