ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Herman and Beck have waited a lifetime for this...)

This is an asinine take.

CDC has already publicly said we aren't where we want to be.

he also publicly said it was "progress" even though we actually made the tournament last season. FWIW, that was a bit cheeky on my part.

I think this is the reason Herman is so upbeat and confident. He feels he will have more of a traditional Offense in his scheme this year and be able to do some damage. Less QB runs and move the sticks passing game.

The lack of explosive plays last year was very telling yet a HUGE improvement from year 1. Improved OL play, explosive backs, Elite Wr's, and deep pool of talented TE's. Sam gives him a LOT of options.

IIRC, it wasn’t the skill positions, but some significant losses on the OL from the previous season that handicapped Colt in his second campaign. Not saying he didn’t contribute to his own struggles then, but as we’ve repeatedly seen, even a good QB’s fortunes often rise and fall depending on the quality of his O-line.

Both, I think. Colt had a bunch of int's in 2007 and I remember that he and Davis analyzed every one of them after the season so he could learn from his error. But also Sendlein, Studdard, and Blaylock all graduated IIRC.

A very poor case. The likelihood is a year from now, Beard is going to have a very different looking contract. The reality is the Beard dream is probably all but dead.

I agree with this. The key is to see what Beard agrees to for a buyout in his new contract.

Agreed. The replacement for each of those is better...yes, even LJ.

Disagree with regard to someone being better than LJ from last year. It's possible but not likely. LJ had an awesome year, especially with high point catches and YAC. I hope someone has a better year than LJ but not likely.

Reactions: horns--21
Disagree with regard to someone being better than LJ from last year. It's possible but not likely. LJ had an awesome year, especially with high point catches and YAC. I hope someone has a better year than LJ but not likely.
LJ just had one of the best seasons in school history by a receiver. It's naive to assume the next guy will automatically be better in terms of production.

Have we heard anything on Bru McCoy being allowed to play this year or not.

6. Shane Buechele Outshines Tyrone Swoopes (2016): With every Texas fan on the planet praying/demanding/crying/screaming for Buechele to take over the starting job, Buechele threw a couple of first half touchdown passes that absolutely indicated that he needed to be the guy Strong leaned on when the season started ... and it wasn't even close.
i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

If you cannot replace Anderson, Beck and Watson, you don’t have much of a program. They are all somewhere between nice players and ok. Same with Hager, Nelson, and Omenihu. When we have some 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders leaving Austin, then you might have some big shoes to fill. LJH was fun to watch, but he may end up as a free agent.

It is unrealistic to think that one player this season will equal or exceed LJ's production last season. No one player, this season, will equally or better fill the shoes of LJ. However, the hope is that since we have so many promising young receivers that they each will improve enough so that the total exceeds LJ individually. In other words, instead of having 2 studs like last season, we have 1 stud and 3 or 4 other really good receivers, which offset or exceed LJ's production. That's a realistic goal.

Reactions: LonghornsFanDC
I agree with this. The key is to see what Beard agrees to for a buyout in his new contract.

IMO, at best, any new contract deal will simply maintain the 40% buyout of the remainder. He's got 5 years left which makes it just under $7mil. So assuming Tech goes all in with a mega-deal we not only will be talking about more per year but also years added that would push the end of of the deal out at least an additional 3 years. He IS Tech athletics right now AND for the foreseeable future. They've got their guy who can make them nationally relevant in a sport that actually makes money and is a high-profile one. With all due respect to Tadlock or whatever his name is, baseball does little to make Tech a nationally relevant athletic department. Beard does.

It is unrealistic to think that one player this season will equal or exceed LJ's production last season. No one player, this season, will equally or better fill the shoes of LJ. However, the hope is that since we have so many promising young receivers that they each will improve enough so that the total exceeds LJ individually. In other words, instead of having 2 studs like last season, we have 1 stud and 3 or 4 other really good receivers, which offset or exceed LJ's production. That's a realistic goal.

I thought that Duvernay was our 2 and half or 3rd stud last year. With Bru, Whittington and Smith coming in and Eagles and others possibly stepping up, we should have a more explosive receiving group. Can't wait for the upcoming season. Should be better than last year.

I remember that it seemed like CS literally told the defense to ease up in the 2nd half...

I remember the first half of that game was so pathetic on offense that when people saw Jerrod Heard at halftime, everyone was telling him they hope he could get here ASAP.

That 229 yards in the 2nd half by Swoopes was literally orchestrated by the coaches, because they looked so abysmal in the first half.
I think the hip pointer Keontay suffered early on slowed him down too.

Reactions: Cdun
Not gonna lie, I haven't watched a Texas Tech basketball game since they played in Austin about 15 months ago. Not starting tonight. I hope they lose and the reason why is that when Texas played USC in 2005 not a single Tech fan I know cheered for Texas and not a single one of them congratulated me later.

But thanks Ketch for the breakdown of them against our 2002-2003 team because now I actually know the names of a couple of their players.

Based on the participation in the Daily Soccer “Threat”, I’d say that, yes, there is interest in the soccer portion. If you don’t like soccer, pass over that section; simple as that.
I look forward to TTFTW every Monday morning.

But I'd rather have some commentary on Baylor's head women's coach being a total B and it's a shame she won a natty, and more talk about baseball than a Sesame Street meme. Those two things are more relevant as a Longhorn fan than any soccer update being played across an ocean. If there's time for everything then great. But if I had a vote... and I get it, I do not, but if I did, give me Big12 and UT content over European soccer in my Orangebloods articles.

Just sayin. Other than that, good stuff.

IIRC, it wasn’t the skill positions, but some significant losses on the OL from the previous season that handicapped Colt in his second campaign. Not saying he didn’t contribute to his own struggles then, but as we’ve repeatedly seen, even a good QB’s fortunes often rise and fall depending on the quality of his O-line.
^^^
My thoughts exactly.

Not really. You don't bail out a team taking a 23-ft desperation turnaround jump with minimal body contact. Officiating was atrocious that final sequence.
I almost always agree with RLong68 but not here. That was the right call. It was ten times more stupid of the player stepping into the shooter than it was to blow the whistle. The rules are the same for all 40 minutes. Kudos to the ref who blew the whistle and called the foul before the shot even got close to the rim. I wanted Auburn to win, but it's the Auburn player's fault, not the ref.

Reactions: RLong68
Not gonna lie, I haven't watched a Texas Tech basketball game since they played in Austin about 15 months ago. Not starting tonight. I hope they lose and the reason why is that when Texas played USC in 2005 not a single Tech fan I know cheered for Texas and not a single one of them congratulated me later.

But thanks Ketch for the breakdown of them against our 2002-2003 team because now I actually know the names of a couple of their players.
"Bitter, party of 1, your table is ready."

I'm just kidding and now that you mention it, I have the exact same experience. None of my buddies are Tech were rooting for us or happy we won.

The small difference is this: Texas can and will still be relevant in many sports with Tech winning tonight. When Texas wins a natty in football, Tech gets further and further from relevance status.

I say let them have this.

The small difference is this: Texas can and will still be relevant in many sports with Tech winning tonight. When Texas wins a natty in football, Tech gets further and further from relevance status.

I say let them have this.

This is a terrible reason to root for a team besides Texas. I have no problem with anybody who wants Tech to win tonight. It just isn't me.

Reactions: txfight
I almost always agree with RLong68 but not here. That was the right call. It was ten times more stupid of the player stepping into the shooter than it was to blow the whistle. The rules are the same for all 40 minutes. Kudos to the ref who blew the whistle and called the foul before the shot even got close to the rim. I wanted Auburn to win, but it's the Auburn player's fault, not the ref.

The correct call was made and the player left his feet which is even more of a face palm moment. I didn't care who won but I do find it a little pleasing that Bruce Pearl lost in that sort of manner. Yes I know there are a lot of dirty coaches in the NCAA but he is probably close to the top, so a little karma hit him.

Also, to the four Auburn fans standing next to me and saying "that should do it" after they went up four with 17 seconds left, thanks for the laugh, and shows you how much those dudes know nothing about CBB and the tourney! Lol.

I thought that Duvernay was our 2 and half or 3rd stud last year. With Bru, Whittington and Smith coming in and Eagles and others possibly stepping up, we should have a more explosive receiving group. Can't wait for the upcoming season. Should be better than last year.

Have to hope the sum of the parts (all receivers) are greater than last year. I don't expect slot to be more productive by itself than it LJH.

IMO, at best, any new contract deal will simply maintain the 40% buyout of the remainder. He's got 5 years left which makes it just under $7mil. So assuming Tech goes all in with a mega-deal we not only will be talking about more per year but also years added that would push the end of of the deal out at least an additional 3 years. He IS Tech athletics right now AND for the foreseeable future. They've got their guy who can make them nationally relevant in a sport that actually makes money and is a high-profile one. With all due respect to Tadlock or whatever his name is, baseball does little to make Tech a nationally relevant athletic department. Beard does.

Takes two to agree to a contract. If Beard agrees to a contract with a huge buyout, that tells me that Beard is not keeping an eye on opportunities for change in the future. And that he plans to stay in LBB for a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT