ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Herman is just showing off at this point...)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
The entire season will come down to nine innings on Monday night.

Given a chance to put Long Beach State away on Sunday and potentially put itself in a position to host a super regional next weekend against Cal-State Fullerton, the Texas Longhorns just didn't play well enough to win a air-tight game.

Texas missed chances to add runs to the scoreboard, while giving up too many chances in the field (the game-winning run was the product of a passed ball).

There's no reason to panic, but the overall performance on Sunday night wasn't quite good enough. The execution of the little details will determine whether the Longhorns will advance. You just can't give a team like Long Beach State four outs in the eighth inning of a tie game.

Here's hoping that the Longhorns find a way on Monday night because this play deserves to be remembered as something more than a footnote.

It deserves to be remembered for all-time, but there's work to be done to make that happen.

No. 2 – Tom Herman and the Texas recruiting machine rumbles on...

At this point, Tom Herman pulling a kid from St. Louis is just showing off.

It's one thing to pull a big-time kid from Florida (Texas has done that before).

It's one thing to pull a big-time kid from Oklahoma (Texas has done that before).

It's one thing to pull a big-time kid from California (Texas has done that before).

Pulling a kid from St. Louis?

Yeah, man, this represents Texas putting up a new flag in its quest to recruit nationally and it's clear that the Texas recruiting machine is running at a level that we haven't seen around these parts since Mack Brown arrived at Texas with Tim Brewster riding shotgun, back when he was unflinching in going wherever the talent demanded that it take them.

In a year when the in-state talent at linebacker lacks elite-level options, the fact that the staff went outside the state to answer its needs should give every Texas fan hope that this era of Texas football won't be restricted to the potential restrictions that the state of Texas might provide from a talent pool standpoint.

The commitment of Ayodele Adeoye is yet another sign that this Texas coaching staff is putting together a recruiting class that will be deemed as special by all of the national analysts on National Signing Day.

No. 3 – Tomorrow is B.J. Foster day …

Remember when folks were wondering whether Texas would have any commitments before the season started?

Now?

Now the party has started.

giphy.gif

No. 4 – Just for the record ...

With the Malik Zaire story put to bed like Goldilocks, here are a handful of thoughts on the subject matter as we all bid farewell to the transfer quarterback hot takes for the rest of the summer.

a. Texas has a fascinating little quarterback situation going into the fall. Zaire didn't so much as automatically present the Longhorns with a better option than current starter Shane Buechele, as much as he would have provided the Longhorns with more options at a position that has failed them significantly for six of the last seven seasons. Zaire would have given the Longhorns more overall depth, increased life experience, an enhanced sense of urgency and a greater run threat ability at the position than it will otherwise have. For those that never understood the attraction to Zaire, those four things represent the primary reasons.

b. It'll be interesting to say the least to see how Zaire performs this season, much as it was always curious to see how Bo Wallace did at Ole Miss after the Longhorns passed on offering him back in the Mack Brown era. Personally, I think Zaire landed in a perfect spot and I think he has a chance to have a very good year. His entire football life rides on this season.

c. For those that think I believe Zaire is simply better than Buechele, I think that's kind of misrepresentation. What I believe is that the older Zaire might be more ready for the demands of starting at a program like Texas than the younger Buechele, with that opinion based on the belief that Buechele might still be a year away from truly tapping into the immense potential that I believe he possesses. It's not that I know for sure that the theory is true, just that it's a possibility.

d. Sam Ehlinger needs to get ready. If Buechele struggles to take significant steps forward in the first month of the season, I don't think Herman will hesitate to see if Ehlinger can spread his wings. Tom Herman really doesn't care who starts at quarterback, he just wants an absolute killer at the position. His patience level in the face of trouble will be something to clearly watch.

No. 5 – Scattershooting on the Longhorns …

... Texas A&M picking up Max Wright and Leon O’Neal this weekend represents a major coup for Kevin Sumlin, considering he will lose his job in six months and Wright will take an official visit to Texas in January, once both players open back up their recruitments. This is nothing more than window dressing for a program heading backwards in 2017.

... I wouldn't make too much out of Tom Herman telling 2019 running back Noah Cain that he plans on taking only one running back. It's called recruiting and part of big-time recruiting is living in the grey area when it comes to selling. If things change, they change and you can communicate that along the way.

... Mack Brown is on the College Football Hall of Fame ballot for 2018. It's only a matter of time before he gets in and it will be much-deserved. You can't tell the story of college football without him.

... I believe this is called alignment.

No. 6 – Buy or sell …

BUY or SELL: Sam Ehlinger takes first-half snaps against Maryland?

(Sell) It's certainly possible, but I think it's more likely he plays a heavy portion of the fourth quarter.

BUY or SELL: Shane Buechele is out injured for more than two games in 2017?

(Sell) No way am I putting that kind of juju on the young man, but his ability to stay healthy enough to be the player he needs to be is a serious question mark going into this season.

BUY or SELL: This will be the best recruiting class ever, for any team finishing the previous season 5-7 or worse?

(Sell) See Mack Brown's class of 1999.

BUY or SELL: After Dele Adeoye (I had to look this up) commitment to Texas his name being misspelled more times than Coach K's throughout his career?

(Sell) I still can't spell Coach K's name.

BUY or SELL: At least two of the projected starters for day one this upcoming year would have been starters on the 2005 championship team?

(Buy) Collin Johnson, Devin Duvernay, Connor Williams, Malik Jefferson and Michael Dickson could have all started on the 2005 team.

BUY or SELL: Texas will have at least five players named to the first team all-Big 12 squad at the end of the 2017 football season?

(Buy) Collin Johnson, Connor Williams, Malcolm Roach, Malik Jefferson, Michael Dickson and at least one of the starting defensive backs will earn all-Big 12 first-team honors in 2017.

BUY or SELL: Ron Tatum and Justin Watkins both flip or de-commit before the Maryland game?

(Sell) They'll both be players to watch all the way until Signing Day, but I don't see both de-committing before the season.

BUY or SELL: The Sooners will go all-in on trying to poach Tatum more because they can't have Herman coming into their state and spraying his Herman-filled testosterone around and stealing their prospects than the fact that they need him?

(Buy) Tatum might be the most important prospect in the state of Oklahoma for the Sooners.

BUY or SELL: Malik Jefferson will have a more stellar career on the 40 Acres than Aaron Harris.

(Sell) Aaron Harris won a national title.

BUY or SELL: The IT department will be what makes Rome (OB) fall?

(Sell) I have to believe that if this was the case, it would have already happened with the IT issues we've had over the course of various spans in the last decade. If anything, I'm encouraged more than anything else by the steps taken in the last few years in this area.

No. 7 – This is the Kevin Durant we've waited a decade to see...

The cheat code has been discovered and with it, one of the greatest players in NBA history is almost reaching the ceiling of his potential.

On a night when LeBron James played at a level that few players could ever dream of delivering, Kevin Durant was better.

33 points, 13 rebounds, six assists, 5 blocks and 3 steals.

Kevin Durant has the glow.

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... I expect the Cavs to win a game in this series, but I don't discount Golden State's ability to sweep this series. We're watching one of the great teams of all-time.

... Tristan Thompson appears to be suffering from the Kardashian Curse.

... I consider myself lucky that I fell in love with soccer at a time that allowed me to watch a large portion of Cristiano Ronaldo's prime. What a player.

... The thing that stood out the most in the Champion's League Final is just how much better Real Madrid was over the course of 90 minutes than Juventus. The champions left no doubt. Madrid stole Juventus' soul in the final half hour of the match.

.... Come on Fenway Sports Group, let's get this damn Virgil Van Dijk deal done. Be a damn big boy club.

... If the Lakers pass on Lonzo Ball, which they won't, he'd fit in very well with the Sixers, as much as Lavar Ball makes me cringe.

... Albert Pujols should still be with the Cardinals and home run No. 600 should have been hit in St. Louis.

... My goodness, the Houston Astros are good.

... Max Holloway might be the best thing the UFC has going for it right now outside of Conor McGregor. Jose Aldo has been beaten before, but he's never been beaten like that

... Maybe I don't want to party with the Ryan brothers...

No. 9 – When silly turns into strength …

The first time I really remember anyone on Orangebloods discussing Ariana Grande was a little less than two years ago when she made world-wide news for licking a doughnut and saying, "I hate America."

In that moment, she was a young woman lacking maturity.

On Sunday afternoon in Manchester, England, she served as a beacon of strength for a community rocked by terrorism, while showing great courage and strength beyond her years in the process.

To me, it served as a reminder that we have to be cautious in how we pass judgment on young people, as if the lowest moments of immaturity can't be replaced by great action with added life experience. Perhaps the next time a recruit says something incredibly stupid, Grande's example will serve as a reminder that the silliest of life's mistakes can be replaced with life-defining stands with just a little more life experience and character growth.

No. 10 – And finally …

Depending on when you read this, we're either 89 or 88 days away from the season-opener at DKR. Not that anyone is counting ...

Last edited:
There is a old saying "our biggest disappointments are designed to be our biggest blessings"

Reactions: ArielC
Albert Pujols should still be with the Cardinals and home run No. 600 should have been hit in St. Louis.
Pujols is a first ballot HOF player. But he in no way has played up to his correct contract. His WAR has decreased ever year since leaving and with the exception of his first year with the Angels he hasn't even been close to the player he was in St. Louis. Cardinals, aka the best front office in baseball (even though they are cheating hackers), made the right choice letting him walk and he made the right choice by taking the money.

... Texas A&M picking up Max Wright and Leon O’Neal this weekend represents a major coup for Kevin Sumlin, considering he will lose his job in six months and Wright will take an official visit to Texas in January, once both players open back up their recruitments. This is nothing more than window dressing for a program heading backwards in 2017.
Damn! Nice take.

No. 5 – Scattershooting on the Longhorns …

iWPXe.gif

You misread the recruiting question. Mack's '99 class followed a 9 win season. Herman's class is unprecedented in the modern era of Texas football in terms of following a shitty season.

No...the class he just signed followed a shitty season. The season that the class he's building now follows hasn't been played yet. I believe Ketch is right to compare the potential 2018 class to the 1999 class, and the 1999 class was a great one.

What I believe is that the older Zaire might be more ready for the demands of starting at a program like Texas than the younger Buechele, with that opinion based on the belief that Buechele might still be a year away from truly tapping into the immense potential that I believe he possesses. It's not that I know for sure that the theory is true, just that it's a possibility.
WaffleHouse3.jpg

The commitment of Ayodele Adeoye is yet another sign that this Texas coaching staff is putting together a recruiting class that will be deemed as special by all of the national analysts on National Signing Day.

I just hope CTH can find 4-5 OL, including 3 OOS, to make this class what it needs to be for a long-term challenge for championships. Championship teams have solid, or spectacular, lines.

RGZAASROSE205jpg.jpg

... Albert Pujols should still be with the Cardinals and home run No. 600 should have been hit in St. Louis.
Agreed, and he'd likely have hit it early last year, if not sooner. Those warm St. Louis drafts don't exist in Anaheim.

.. My goodness, the Houston Astros are good.
They're playing out of their minds, especially when Springer is on.

Reactions: marinehorn
Does Herman hold spots for Wright and O'Neal to flip them from aggie and if so, how long.

If Stumblin fails as many predict I can't see them staying committed there, especially if Herman has high success.

No...the class he just signed followed a shitty season. The season that the class he's building now follows hasn't been played yet. I believe Ketch is right to compare the potential 2018 class to the 1999 class, and the 1999 class was a great one.

You are correct. However, this class is off to a significantly better start than the '99 class. And while it might end with a Simms/Redding late in the class, I'd be patient before deciding it won't be better. That '99 class was extremely top heavy with a lot of 3 star reaches.

Reactions: IDMAS
You misread the recruiting question. Mack's '99 class followed a 9 win season. Herman's class is unprecedented in the modern era of Texas football in terms of following a shitty season.
No, Mack's 1999 recruiting class followed a 4-7 season in 1997.

Eventually, Herman will play the season, but it will still be a class following Charlie's 5-7 year.

Pujols is a first ballot HOF player. But he in no way has played up to his correct contract. His WAR has decreased ever year since leaving and with the exception of his first year with the Angels he hasn't even been close to the player he was in St. Louis. Cardinals, aka the best front office in baseball (even though they are cheating hackers), made the right choice letting him walk and he made the right choice by taking the money.
and I barely knew he was still in the league until No.600 rolled around.

Reactions: josixpak
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT