ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Highlighting the Absurdity)

Disappointing, no doubt. But they're better than Hutchins. Hutchins blocked air and almost got Heard killed and took us out of FG range. He needs to sit and ponder that for a couple weeks.

I will submit there there isn't any way that we don't have a better option than the suck that is Hutchins. The upgrade may below below average or even terrible. But terrible is an upgrade to that garbage we saw on Saturday from Hutchins.
gotta agree. its the watson/swoopes argument from the offseason. i have no clue whats behind door #2 but if Hutchins is behind door #1, I'll take my chances with the unknown

Reactions: Ignatius J Reilly
As someone who paid five bucks to sit through one of the wettest, most miserable games in the history of the Southwest Conference, I’ve always held what happened on November 21, 1992 pretty close to my heart.

It’s not often you can watch a game so poorly officiated that almost everyone can agree that certain collusion took place, but it’s fairly universal knowledge that the crew that did Grant Teaff’s “Goodbye Game” at the old Floyd Casey Stadium did the soon-to-be-retired coach a solid.

For more than two decades, the game has stood incredibly tall over all the poorly officiated games I’ve ever seen, but upon further review of what happened at DKR on Saturday afternoon, it’s hard not to create a special spot for the crew that was responsible for the absurdity that took place throughout the game.

Could collusion have been in play? It’s such a serious charge, but it’s impossible to argue that time after time after time in their game against Oklahoma State, the Longhorns were on the wrong end of dangerously incompetent officiating.

After much consideration, here’s one man’s opinion on the Top 8 most ridiculous calls made in a game that seemingly featured a hundred of them.

No. 8 - Snake in the grass

Apparently, the best way to successfully commit holding in the Big 12 is to grab ankles while laying on the field like a man shot in the back. When you think about it, how can we blame the refs for seeing a hold that took place 12 inches off the ground? That’s asking for a level of competence, which cannot be expected after this weekend.

No.7 - Ironic Award …

On a play that we’ll discuss a little further down the list over a call that was made, Texas defensive end Shiro Davis was blatantly held as blatantly held gets … and no flag was thrown despite it happening directly in front of the back judge.

No. 6 - Players with the No.47 jersey can’t be interfered with ...

Unless there’s a rule about white kids wearing numbers in the 40s being able to be interfered with on the books, there’s no getting around the fact that when Jerrod Heard threw deep for Andrew Beck in the second quarter, either illegal contact down the field was missed at best or pass interference was missed at worst. Either way, Beck was clearly knocked off his present course because of contact that occurred down the field and it was ignored.

No.5 - Off the board comes a touchdown

On a play that went for a Texas touchdown, a mysterious holding call was made, supposedly on freshman offensive lineman Patrick Vahe. Watch the play and tell me if you see No.77 holding.

Third runner-up - Charlie Strong’s unsportsmanlike conduct call …

In response to one of the calls that tops this one, Strong was hit with a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct, despite the fact that his behavior was in no shape or fashion in the red territory for head coaching reactions. Making the matter egregiously worse is the fact that the ref who called the penalty appeared to be trying to coax Strong into a reaction for which he could flag him by twice changing directions in an effort to create friction.

Bronze Medal - Wiping away a true game-changing play

On a drive that would eventually end up with Oklahoma State scoring three points, it never would have happened had a Kris Boyd interception not been wiped away from a roughing the passer call on Paul Boyette that saw Boyette pull back from making contact on Mason Rudolph, who was simply knocked back a little after the contact. A flag was thrown, thus rewarding a quarterback for making a key mistake.

Silver medal - “No one recovered the fumble.”

On a play where J.W. Walsh fumbled in the fourth quarter, Texas defensive back Duke Thomas fell on the loose ball and had the ball in his possession when Walsh comes firing into the pile on what should have been a dead ball. Although he never had two hands on the ball or clear possession of the ball, the refs gave Walsh possession of the ball and then dared to suggest after reviewing the play that it wasn’t clear what happened.

Gold medal - Defensive holding?

Easily one of the worst calls in the history of the game.

At the end of the day, we're either looking at collusion, point-shaving or incompetence.

If I'm Charlie Strong, I'm probably asking the head of Big 12 officials which of the three I was dealing with.

No. 2 - Discussing the offensive line …

Obviously, it wasn’t the top headline coming from Saturday’s game, but the loss of starting right
tackle Kent Perkins could prove to be a devastating situation for an offensive line that had played at a competent level since the Notre Dame game.

From the moment Perkins left the field and the combination of Marcus Hutchins and Trent Nickelson entered it, things were never the same for the Texas offense.

The question that is begging to be answered in the wake of an injury that could leave Perkins out of the line-up for what could be multiple weeks, what in the hell does Texas offensive line coach Joe Wickline do now?

It’s not like Connor Williams can play both spots and you can’t just leave Hutchins or Nickelson on an island, either.

Do you move Brandon Hodges outside? What about Jake Raulerson? Fourth-team true freshman Ronnie Major? Or do you just stick with Hutchins, who at least has … gulp … starting experience?

Also, from a bigger picture standpoint, what are we to think about this group in 2016?

Yes, Connor Williams, Patrick Vahe and Perkins will be back, but outside of those three (and possibly Raulerson), I can’t name any players in the program who I think the Longhorns can feel good about putting on the field and unlike a season ago, I don’t see immediate answers in the upcoming recruiting class.

This problem just won’t go away and that truth will almost certainly be clear in the coming weeks if the team can’t get Perkins back on the field.

No. 3 – NCAA Team Stats Through One-third of the Season …

Offensive Stats

Total offense: 111
Rushing offense: 75
Passing offense: 106
Team Passing Efficiency: 78
3rd Down Conversions: 119
Red-zone offense: 1
Turnovers: 30

Defensive Stats

Total defense: 114
Rushing defense: 104
Passing defense: 106
Team Passing Efficiency: 114
3rd Down Conversions: 125
Red-zone defense: 107
Team sacks: 75
Turnovers: 7
Defensive touchdowns: 1

Special Teams

Kickoff returns: 89
Kickoff return D: 119
Net punting: 34
Punt returns: 10
Punt return D: 11

No. 4 – Scattershooting on the Longhorns …

… Before Mason Rudolph completely lost his mettle and Oklahoma State’s offense became neutered, it clearly identified the middle of the field as the area it wanted to live in, as Rudolph threw countless posts and slants at Texas cornerbacks without any regard for the linebackers or safeties that might be there to meet them. Part of the reason that part of the field is so enticing is that the Texas cornerbacks are simply giving up too much of a cushion off the ball, which practically begs for those plays to be run because of the free run receivers are getting off the line of scrimmage. Of the corners Charlie Strong has to work with, only Holton Hill and Kris Boyd give you the type of bump and run abilities that are needed to knock those receivers off the line, but even Boyd was playing further back than I would have expected on Saturday.

… Speaking of freshmen defensive backs, Davante Davis’ presence in the secondary clearly makes that unit better, which means that he needs to play the majority of the downs moving forward.

… Jason Hall feels like a forgotten player.

… If the Longhorns are going to feature the option in this offense, it has to find a player with more juice in the legs than Johnathan Gray in those situations because he just can’t get to the corner fast enough to put the pressure on defenses that is needed on that play. Gray just isn’t an East-West runner. Honestly, I’d have Daje Johnson on the field and in the backfield on some of those plays.

… Jay Norvell has to find a way to get the ball into the hands of John Burt, as he’s one of the
few potentially game-changing talents on that side of the ball and he just can’t finish the day with one catch for four yards. Actually, you can say the same things about Daje Johnson and Armanti Foreman, as the trio of Burt, Johnson and Foreman combined for five touches for 29 yards.

… Michael Dickson has been better than you think this season and even in the game yesterday, as he drilled three punts more than 50+ yards and averaged more than 40 yards a kick, despite the final punt that ...well … didn’t go very far.

… In one of strangest stats from the Oklahoma game, Jerrod Heard had more negative yardage (55 yards) than net yards rushing (48), despite the fact that he gained 103 positive yards. His 73.8 yards rushing per game ranks ninth in the Big 12 and first among quarterbacks.

… The fact that the Longhorns are ranked 119th in the nation in kickoff coverage is a little misleading because opponents have returned only two kicks through four games. Attaboy, Nick Rose.

… If Jerrod Heard had enough pass attempts to qualify, he’d currently rank No. 25 in the nation with a 157.3 rating.

No. 5 – Buy or sell …

(As always these are real questions submitted by real Orangebloods subscribers.)

(BUY or SELL) The Big XII issues a formal statement regarding yesterday's game?

(Sell) Privately, they might tell Charlie Strong that they made a few mistakes, but I don’t expect much more than that. If folks think I rarely admit mistakes, let me introduce you to college athletics officials.

(BUY or SELL) Those officials: 1) noose; or 2) firing squad?

(Sell) I think a public stoning is in order. All sale of rocks goes to the Texas School for the Blind.

(BUY or SELL) Texas makes a bowl game?

(Sell) It’s going to take near-perfection if the Longhorns lose the next two games to TCU and Oklahoma, a level of play that this team hasn’t exhibited on any level, thus making it nearly impossible to give it the benefit of the doubt.

(BUY or SELL) If we go 1-5, should legitimate conversations start taking place about the possibility of making a change after the season?

(Sell) There’s been too much instability in the program in recent years and creating that kind of thinking at the midway point of Strong’s second season is going to potentially unglue things from the seams. The top of the decision-making chain has his back and that won’t change in the next two weeks.

(BUY or SELL) Charlie Strong is still head coach January1, 2017?

(Buy) Suggesting otherwise is an all-in bet that I’m not willing to make, in part because I think the UT decision-makers understand the hand Strong is dealing with and understand more instability is the last thing the program needs.

(BUY or SELL) Recruits are realizing the youth on this team and seeing a future worth buying into?

(Sell) There’s absolutely zero evidence of this unfolding at this point, which makes this wishful thinking on the behalf of Texas fans more than anything else.

(BUY or SELL) We have the most disloyal crybaby @$$ fans in college football that like to complain instead of support their team?

(Sell) This is what major college football looks like for a program when it’s in its fifth consecutive season of dissatisfaction. Ask Florida State when in it was in its doldrums. Ask Michigan. Ask Alabama when it loses a single game.

(BUY or SELL) Holton Hill is the team’s best defensive back?

(Buy) Based on what happened on the field yesterday, yes.

(BUY or SELL) The defense will keep TCU under 35 points?

(Sell) Did you mean 65?

(BUY or SELL) Charlie leads Texas to a 11+ win season in 2017?

(Sell) Jerrod Heard and the 2015 recruiting class together is not enough to suggest that kind of thinking should be on the table at the moment. You have to walk before you can run and the Longhorns are not even walking briskly yet. Think about the offensive line situation next year. Think about it in 2017. That’s just one layer of the program.

(BUY or SELL) The Big 12 is actively working against Texas and Charlie Strong?

(Sell) I’d buy the idea of the refs being involved with gambling over an actual agenda by the conference that plays its way out on the field on Saturdays, especially considering the
importance of Texas being happy within the conference.

(BUY or SELL) Assume Strong is back next year and pulls in a top 10 or 15 class. With all the young talent on the team already, Texas has a double digit win season next year?

(Sell) Did you mean single-digit wins?

No. 6 – Week 2 CFB Randomness ...

… If I had a vote that mattered …

Ole Miss
UCLA
Michigan State
Georgia
Notre Dame
LSU
Ohio State
Utah
Baylor
Texas A&M

… I don’t have this version of TCU in my personal top 10, but the ending of that game in Lubbock was bananas. The Horned Frogs needed a shot in the arm like that in a big way and I’m sure they are believing they are a team of destiny after that.

… Oklahoma State coming in at No. 19 and No. 20 in the major polls is a joke. That’s a greatly flawed football team with a mess on its at hands at quarterback that was not clearly better than the average team it played on Saturday.

… The last thing the Longhorns need in the middle of a 1-3 start is the reality of TCU and Baylor in the Top 10, while Texas A&M is in the Top 15. I mean talk about running head-first into other’s momentum, it literally represents the worst-possible case for Charlie Strong and his staff.

… I have no idea how good Baylor really is.

… Alabama is an underdog this week against Georgia for the first time since 2009.

… Jim Harbaugh has things looking way up pretty quickly for Michigan, especially in light of its domination of BYU this weekend. Also, that loss to Utah at the beginning of the season looks a
little different than it did nearly a month ago.

… On the other side of the state of Michigan coin, that Michigan State win over Oregon looks a lot different today than it did a few weeks ago.

… Oregon’s very own with a dagger to the heart:

No. 7 – The Cowboys wasted one on Sunday …

I’ve theorized that Dallas needs to win three of its next eight games with Brandon Weeden as quarterback to give the team a chance to win the division over the course of the final six weeks, once Tony Romo and Dez Bryant return.

It wasted a chance to get one of those eight on Sunday.

Up 28-14 in the second quarter and doing everything it wanted to do on offense against the Falcons, the wheels just fell off the bus, as Weeden reminded us exactly what we’re working with a 232-yard/zero touchdown performance.

Most alarming is the fact that the Dallas defense channeled a defensive ideology that reminded me of something I’ve seen in Austin for the last five years, as that group just couldn’t make any stop, allowing the Falcons to score 25 unanswered points to end the game.

I guess I’m just going to chalk this one up to Julio Jones not being mortal and leave it at that because I’m not ready to consider that this defense won’t be a team strength for the next seven weeks.

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

… Scattershooting on the NFL:

a. I don’t even know what to say about the Texans game, other than it was a win for a Texans team that needed to feel good about itself after the last two weeks. A little bit of Mallett, Alfred Blue, DeAndre Hopkins and a really good defense can get you a 10-point win over the Buccs, and we’ll see in future weeks if it can do much else.

b. My goodness, what was I thinking in taking Dez over Julio in my fantasy draft that matters? I feel like I’m going to be typing this every week.

c. Arizona is really, really, really good … maybe even elite. That was a savage beating it gave to the 49ers and it kept the starters in until deep into the fourth quarter because it wanted to send a
message that the previous way things were done in the NFL West are over.

d. The injury to Big Ben makes the Bengals the runaway favorite in the AFC North. RUNAWAY. A.J. Green-level runaway.

e. Thanks for nothing, Jets.

f. Cam Newton is the most underappreciated great quarterback in the NFL.

g. Indianapolis stole victory from the jaws of defeat to save its season, but it still looks pretty meh.

h. New England is going to run up the score every chance it gets this season, you best believe that.

… He’s baaaaaaaaack. In case anyone is wondering, Jordan Spieth is still a bad mother-nature, winning this week’s Tour Championship by four strokes. In case you were wondering, Jason Day was seven shots back and Rory was 10 back.

… Ladies and gentleman, the baseball cancer known as Jonathan Papelbon

… Two weeks after everyone, including myself thought that Man City was going to runaway with the Premier League, suddenly Man U. is on first place with seemingly a lot of momentum.

… Liverpool’s Brenden Rodgers is hanging on … barely.

… Dear UFC, stop putting Roy Nelson in main event fights that are on television. Seriously, I just turned the TV off after the second round.

No. 9 – Youtube Video of the Week ...

I felt like everyone could use a pick-me-up this week.

No.10 - And finally ...

Go, Aaron Rodgers. I need you to go big on Monday Night Football. Oh, and please don’t throw the ball to Randall Cobb. Thanks.

Good on the terrible officiating. Charlie should say nothing-the ball is in Perrin's court in dealing with the b12 on the referee issue. Let's see what he does. The team is looking up I think. Close to being 3-1 after demoting watson and promoting Norvell. Things will get better. I am sure Gray is a really good kid and should be used on special plays. But he has little speed and goes down way too easy. Daje would probably have scored on that 40+ yard run. Running backs should be Foreman, Daje and Warren. Come on coaches play the best players.

Retired OU fan here. Just got through watching the whole game to see what all the fuss was about.

Been watching college ball since 1958 and that was as big a screw job as I have ever seen.

Texas won that game as far as I am concerned; I don't get into ref conspiracies or throwing games but good god, that was brutal!!

I hope that crew is never allowed back on a college field again.

Reactions: kasinca
Agreed, it was an absurdity...Ketch really appreciate you isolating those
plays and calls for us...just unbelievable...I didn't notice that the ref was initiating the confrontations on the sideline, he should be suspended or fired.

Sometimes vigilante justice just seems more efficient. These refs should be held accountable and we all know the Big Xii won't do anything about it.

It was a terrible, inexcusable call. A bad bad call. That is all. To try to divine what the official was thinking is wasted thought. It was a bad call regardless.

Liked your list of crap calls against UT. Never thought I would root so much for Swoopes to do well but his play and body language really lifted the crowd and team.

We should go for two after every touchdown from now on.

Looking forward to seeing our defense improve every game going forward.

We really need a running game or Heard won't make it the whole season. He's is too fragile.

WOAH! Go for two on every play? Boy would that be exciting and create some anxious DC's!!!! May be crazy.... But I kind of like the idea. Think how much the boys would like it. The positive message it would send to them... Fun.

Sometimes vigilante justice just seems more efficient. These refs should be held accountable and we all know the Big Xii won't do anything about it.

150918103909-high-school-football-players-hit-referee-abc-wire-nr-00010911-large-169.jpg

So while we're at it...there is a small part of me that believes OSU's headsets were not broken. That's difficult for a young qb like Heard.

I would't put that past Gundy...

CS is applying the words in the rule book to the play and jshorn is applying the way in which the rule book is applied, except in extremely rare instances like the one being discussed. Here's the rule without the extraneous words.

"Defensive players may not use hands ... to ... hold ... an opponent other than a runner."

Granted, defensive players are allowed, de factor, to use their hands to hold an opponent in shedding the block but will often get called when they grab and hold onto the blocker's jersey.

In other words, in my opinion, you guys are both right. The way the rule is written is not how it's normally applied.

So while we're at it...there is a small part of me that believes OSU's headsets were not broken. That's difficult for a young qb like Heard.

I would't put that past Gundy...
You think they faked it?

Wow, Ketch. If the B12 allows that kind of refereeing against Texas again (they're "generally pleased with it"), there won't be a need to play the games. Watching those clips is just frustrating. Why play if that's what's going to happen?

Wow, Ketch. If the B12 allows that kind of refereeing against Texas again (they're "generally pleased with it"), there won't be a need to play the games. Watching those clips is just frustrating. Why play if that's what's going to happen?
Texas simply has to request that the group never works another one of its games, period.

OMG-Facepalm-GIF.gif

Let me go at this a different way.

You apparently don't think CS and staff can field a semi-quality offensive line with even competent depth by 2017. It's not material that I agree or disagree with this assertion. My point remains that if CS is not capable of finding a way to improve the offensive line by his fourth year in the program, then he doesn't need to be the head coach at Texas. It doesn't take good coaches more than four years to fix such glaring weaknesses. Therefore, while it is only one layer of the program, I can only assume that you have little hope that CS and staff are up to the task of making Texas into a quality team. Is this assumption correct?
heres the buy or sell portion of the article..

(BUY or SELL) Assume Strong is back next year and pulls in a top 10 or 15 class. With all the young talent on the team already, Texas has a double digit win season next year?

(Sell) Did you mean 65?

(Sell) Jerrod Heard and the 2015 recruiting class together is not enough to suggest that kind of thinking should be on the table at the moment. You have to walk before you can run and the Longhorns are not even walking briskly yet. Think about the offensive line situation next year. Think about it in 2017. That’s just one layer of the program.

(BUY or SELL) Recruits are realizing the youth on this team and seeing a future worth buying into?

(Sell) There’s absolutely zero evidence of this unfolding at this point, which makes this wishful thinking on the behalf of Texas fans more than anything else.

(Sell) It’s going to take near-perfection if the Longhorns lose the next two games to TCU and Oklahoma, a level of play that this team hasn’t exhibited on any level, thus making it nearly impossible to give it the benefit of the doubt.

heres the buy or sell portion of the article..

(Sell) Did you mean 65?

Yeah, it's pretty obvious Ketch's confidence in CS is shaken.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious Ketch's confidence in CS is shaken.
well, its tough not to be at this point after the debacle in ND and losing 5 of 6. especially if you take their word on recruiting since theyre actually talking to the kids, which is the bigger deal than year 2 wins and losses. if recruiting craters, the optimism for the future is going to be right in line with what hes predicting

Last edited:
well, its tough not to be at this point after the debacle in ND and losing 5 of 6. especially if you take their word on recruiting which is the bigger deal than year 2 wins and losses. if recruiting craters, the optimism for the future is going to be right in line with what hes predicting
You'll get no argument from me. It's going to take a minor miracle for this story to have a happy ending.

Guys, it's obvious the fix was in. The conspiracy was either racial and runs to the highest levels or its OK St $$$. Gundy was going to take this one by any means necessary. The headsets worked fine. It's easy to fake there being some interference, like one of those cell phone calls you don't want to take. The refs were paid by T Boone, or possibly a Texas booster that doesn't like Charlie. We all know there's still enough racism in The South to want a black coach to fail. And now we know the chief of Big 12 officiating condones the way the game was officiated, which means the lack of integrity goes to the top. My guess: Either the Big 12 officiating office has racist leanings, or someone powerful like a TX booster that wants Charlie out has their paws all the way to the top on this

You think they faked it?

The shot of Gundy still talking into his headset after the announcement makes me wonder. Plus the comment from Strong in the presser saying how difficult it is for a young QB to adapt without that constant communication. It's actually not a bad strategy if you prepare for it.

I sure miss Randy Christal and John Bible. They were great referees

I think there is an epidemic of poor officiating. Guess it is time to move on.

Thanks Ketch for the great article. I feel a lot better. This was a rough weekend.
Oh dear. Did they both retire? I wondered what those wonks were doing out there.

It's like some of you see CS post, foam at the mouth with anger, and then read what you want to read. All CS did was point out the logic behind the penalty based on what the ref probably saw. He didn't defend it. It is a horrendous call.
If "ref" wants to affect he outcome of a game, the can probably call a penalty on every play much like a policeman can find some law to give you ticket. I do believe that UT has made some enemies in the Big 12 and now they are finally able to "kick us" while we are down. I do believe it is about time for the university officials to start taking action to get this straight or make serious attempts to leave this conference (and of course let it die like the Southwest Conference)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT