ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (I hate to say it, but a change is needed...)

Nope. Have enough experience watching college football deeply. Certainly injuries and the LB position are the biggest variables that are not clear. Corner next. DL looks strong. More than enough talent and depth. But all 3 position groups need to be at same level.
Yeah, I'll remind you that almost everyone on this site said the same thing about the defense from 2017 to 2018.

Yeah, I'll remind you that almost everyone on this site said the same thing about the defense from 2017 to 2018.
Hager's lack of production is not hard to upgrade with the talent taking the next step. Nelson was not a plus player though solid, but big bodies with talent behind it replace him. JC Transfer plus Roach, plus Ojomo, plus Graham put alot of talent, size and competition for Omenihu's spot. And your team has said that Orlando has been waiting to get his type of DL onboard. They have that now. Let's measure Sacks and Tackle for loss from these 3 spots and report back next year.

LB, LB, LB along with Corner are the open questions. Replacing the speed and experience at LB is very important and unclear on if it can be accomplished.

More than anything, I just don't know what giving Smart another year is supposed to accomplish besides owing one less year on a contract you'd have to otherwise pay off.

Yep. We know for DAMN certain Shaka won't be allowed to limp to the '22-'23 finish line so essentially the decision to can him while under contract really isn't about $13 million but rather $3 million. If CDC allows $3 million to keep TEXAS from being, well, TEXAS, then he may not really be the right AD.

A couple of thoughts:

1. Defense will be fine. I think Ossai, Roach, Graham, Jones, Coburn, Ojomo, and Wilbon will be a very solid DL. Hager will be easy to replace and an upgrade with whoever we put out there. Coburn/Ojomo have much higher ceilings than Nelson and will need to be developed. Charles O will be the hardest to replace but hoping Jones can fill that void.

2. Shaka has never been able to adapt to the 1 and Done level of coaching. A big red flag with him before he was hired is that he never won his conference while at VCU. I know some were able to look past that with his Final Four appearance, but I couldn't. It's easy to point at Chris Beard and say he is the best candidate to replace Shaka. I get it. He would be a great hire. You also need to look outside of the box to find the next best thing. Jay Wright was at Hofstra before Villanova. Tom Izzo was an assistant at MSU before he got the head job. Coach K was at Army. Bill Self was at Illinois.

3. Cowboys desperately need to move on from Jason Garrett. It wouldn't take long to find the replacement. First guy I'd like to see offered is from within. Kris Richard.

BUY or SELL: The new transfer rules will inadvertently create less parity in college football?

(Sell) When kids are seeking sure-fire, starting-level playing time, winning matters less than playing every snap. There will be occasional exceptions to the rule, but of the problems that the new transfer rules might create, I'm not sure this one of them.

Yep.

It's easy to point at Chris Beard and say he is the best candidate to replace Shaka. I get it. He would be a great hire. You also need to look outside of the box to find the next best thing.

Sometimes the easy decision is that for a reason.

I see confusion on Shaka's face.

This. I don't think I've ever seen a basketball coach with less "It" on the sidelines. In the movie, "Miracle," Herb Brooks tells his assistant (looking at the Soviet coach in the last minute or two of play, when he should be pulling his goalie), "He doesn't know what to do!" That is how Shaka looks on the sideline. "What?" "Huh?" Sad, because I really thought he was the answer; and I really like him as a rep of The University. Oh well, time to move on. I just wish CDC would act now and put us out of this misery.

Hook 'em!!!

You love that drum.;)

He keeps beating on it hoping it will be true, but it never will be. Multiple guys on this roster were great shooters in high school. What Anwar fails to understand is that rhythm/flow on offense, consistency on offense, and the creation of high quality looks from 3 makes a huge difference in a player's ability to make shots.

Danny Green's career is a perfect illustration of this concept. From 2012-2015, he played on a team with elite point guard play, elite ball movement, and 2 big-time shot creators in Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, and he shot 44%, 43%, 42%, and 42% over four seasons. When 2016 rolled around, Parker and Ginobili were losing a step, the Spurs signed Aldridge, and they went to much more of an isolation type offense without a lot of dribble penetration setting up open 3s. In the 2016-2018 seasons, Green shot 33%, 38%, and 36% from 3. Then this season, Green gets traded to Toronto, where he is playing along-side one of the best point guards in the league, and what do you know? He is shooting 41% from 3 this year again. Did Danny Green forget how to shoot a basketball for 3 years or is he getting better shots?

The quality or quantity of the shooters is not the problem. The problem is the consistency of the offense and the quality of shots created by that inconsistent offense.

Smart is done. The okie state game was the big blow and the Tech game was the nail in the coffin for me.

I'm leery of Beard coming to Texas. I just have a hunch he won't.

Is Buzz Williams the next attainable guy? Do you even bother calling a Jay Wright or Fred Hoiberg type?

You give Beard no less than 3 times to say no. Jay Wright isn't leaving 'Nova. Let's not waste our time chasing someone like Jay Wright. The one problem I can see with Hoiberg is NBA demand will always be an issue.

Sometimes. Shaka was the easy decision when we hired him too.

I think Beard would be a fantastic hire, but I also wouldn't be mad if CDC went outside the box.

Actually Shaka wasn't the "easy" decision. Sure, most people thought he was no less than a solid hire but plenty on this board thought Marshall would make a better hired. Hell, I also had Archie Miller ahead of Shaka. Rest assured, Chris Beard as our top candidate is FAR EASIER than Shaka being one of our top 2 candidates. Why do we need to go outside the box?

Actually Shaka wasn't the "easy" decision. Sure, most people thought he was no less than a solid hire but plenty on this board thought Marshall would make a better hired. Hell, I also had Archie Miller ahead of Shaka. Rest assured, Chris Beard as our top candidate is FAR EASIER than Shaka being one of our top 2 candidates. Why do we need to go outside the box?

If Beard says yes, we won't have to.

If Beard says yes, we won't have to.

We sorta have to define "outside the box," but quite honestly, I'm not real sure that will be necessary even if Beard for some reason says no. The Texas job will be in HIGH demand, as always. Taking a flyer out on somebody won't really be necessary. I imagine someone like Marshall would also be on the table. The job won't lack for a strong pool of viable candidates. The problem is with each passing year you lose some current candidates because, well, they secure strong jobs. Archie Miller is no longer a candidate now that he is at IU. Chris Mack is off the market now that he is at 'Ville.

No one could accuse me of disliking Shaka Smart. On the contrary, some would accuse my respect for him as some sort of love-fest. Certainly, I'd admit to wanting it to work out because all things being equal, if I'm going to watch roughly 80 hours of Texas basketball each year, I'd like for it to be interesting.

So then could we assume, no presume you were once somewhat "supportive" of Coach Smart ...

Hager's lack of production is not hard to upgrade with the talent taking the next step. Nelson was not a plus player though solid, but big bodies with talent behind it replace him. JC Transfer plus Roach, plus Ojomo, plus Graham put alot of talent, size and competition for Omenihu's spot. And your team has said that Orlando has been waiting to get his type of DL onboard. They have that now. Let's measure Sacks and Tackle for loss from these 3 spots and report back next year.

LB, LB, LB along with Corner are the open questions. Replacing the speed and experience at LB is very important and unclear on if it can be accomplished.
a. Hager's production is not hard to upgrade and yet no one was remotely ready to so this year.

b. Nelson absolutely was a plus player and he took a huge percentage of snaps.

c. Omenihu had arguably the best season of any DL this decade and you are mentioning unproven players as sure things to replace him.

I think this set of ideas is ridiculous.

Reactions: Gus McCrea
We sorta have to define "outside the box," but quite honestly, I'm not real sure that will be necessary even if Beard for some reason says no. The Texas job will be in HIGH demand, as always. Taking a flyer out on somebody won't really be necessary. I imagine someone like Marshall would also be on the table. The job won't lack for a strong pool of viable candidates. The problem is with each passing year you lose some current candidates because, well, they secure strong jobs. Archie Miller is no longer a candidate now that he is at IU. Chris Mack is off the market now that he is at 'Ville.

Because you look at the best coaches in the game and pretty much all of them came from lower tier jobs or promoted from assistants. The going out and finding someone with skins on the wall approach doesn't necessarily work the same way in college basketball as it does in college football.

1. He's not a damn good coach
2. "Fit," whatever that is supposed to mean, has absolutely zero to do with it.
Fit, circumstances, whatever you want to call it.

Damn good coaches go places all the time and don't work out in every sport.

Coaches can have huge impact on our lives. Very appreciative for the men and women who invest so much more than skill into athletes.

Because you look at the best coaches in the game and pretty much all of them came from lower tier jobs or promoted from assistants. The going out and finding someone with skins on the wall approach doesn't necessarily work the same way in college basketball as it does in college football.

Again, we need to define "outside the box." I don't think a guy like Marshall REMOTELY defines "outside the box." Now hiring an assistant certainly does which quite frankly would be bizarre for a school like Texas to do so.

I am a Diehard Cowboy fan going back to the 70's. But I agree, it is easy to move past the defeats. My boys cannot comprehend how good I had it as a boy growing up cheering for the Cowboys.

Again, we need to define "outside the box." I don't think a guy like Marshall REMOTELY defines "outside the box." Now hiring an assistant certainly does which quite frankly would be bizarre for a school like Texas to do so.

I don't think Marshall is leaving Wichita. He's turned down way more money than he is making from better jobs to stay.

I think outside the box is someone who you wouldn't think are the obvious choices. There are some damn good basketball coaches out there that just haven't had the opportunity yet and once they do, they'll shine. Jay Wright did it. Tom Izzo did it. Coach K did it. And plenty of others have as well.

I don't think Marshall is leaving Wichita. He's turned down way more money than he is making from better jobs to stay.

I think outside the box is someone who you wouldn't think are the obvious choices. There are some damn good basketball coaches out there that just haven't had the opportunity yet and once they do, they'll shine. Jay Wright did it. Tom Izzo did it. Coach K did it. And plenty of others have as well.

There are more than a few folks that suggest if Patterson doesn't f*ck up then Marshall is in Austin today. What better jobs has he turned down? Alabama is most certainly not a better job than Wichita State, no matter the money. Perhaps he wouldn't leave Wichita for Texas now, but I wouldn't bet against it if CDC makes a strong pursuit.

There are more than a few folks that suggest if Patterson doesn't f*ck up then Marshall is in Austin today. What better jobs has he turned down? Alabama is most certainly not a better job than Wichita State, no matter the money. Perhaps he wouldn't leave Wichita for Texas now, but I wouldn't bet against it if CDC makes a strong pursuit.
His wife wanted the move and was telling media in Wichita that they were gone.

His wife wanted the move and was telling media in Wichita that they were gone.

I didn't want to drop your name in case I was wrong about who was talking about us having had a damn good chance of getting him.

I didn't want to drop your name in case I was wrong about who was talking about us having had a damn good chance of getting him.
I literally had a woman I know who works in the market essentially tell me, "I don't know if this helps you, but I had a conversation with (his wife) and this is what she said to me."

I got the sense that when it didn't happen, there was some unhappiness.

Reactions: RLong68
I mean... I like him.

By being a longtime member of dubious standing on this site I have learned to read between the lines re: yours & Dustin's articles ... Also very true for Suchomel as well!!! I have always thought you and Dustin were "supportive" of Coach Smart from the very beginning ... Said so a few weeks back and Dustin replied that word or description did not make"sense" ... You joined in the post with a position of a higher level of journalistic responsbilites !!! I changed my wording to fair ...

I still believe the both of you have been most fair & "supportive" in your assessments of Shaka the coach ... I know that same feeling in my own career when managing people I really liked ... When they cannot sack the groceries they got go no matter what the other circumstances are ...

That's fair also ...

50491050_2543261645703016_5848417139731464192_n.jpg
Now that is very funny@!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT