ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (I was dead-ass wrong)

DeMeco Ryan’s said today that when he walked out Sunday, he could “feel the energy.” “I knew it was gonna be a good day.” Not we are gonna win, but we came to ball out. That’s what we need Saturday. Palpable kinetic “open a can of whoop ass” energy.

And as a hick from a small Texas town with really old parents, I grew up on “old country.” And I mean old. Jim Reeves, Bob Wills, Vern Gosdin, Jim Ed Brown, Webb Pierce old! So for me, crazy Rock and Roll was the Eagles and Boston. Thank God I found MoTown. Chicago and Earth Wind & Fire saved me while Jim Croce touched my soul.

• Love
Reactions: Ketchum
DeMeco Ryan’s said today that when he walked out Sunday, he could “feel the energy.” “I knew it was gonna be a good day.” Not we are gonna win, but we came to ball out. That’s what we need Saturday. Palpable kinetic “open a can of whoop ass” energy.

And as a hick from a small Texas town with really old parents, I grew up on “old country.” And I mean old. Jim Reeves, Bob Wills, Vern Gosdin, Jim Ed Brown, Webb Pierce old! So for me, crazy Rock and Roll was the Eagles and Boston. Thank God I found MoTown. Chicago and Earth Wind & Fire saved me while Jim Croce touched my soul.
what small town?

I do not think you were wrong @Ketchum. Are you trying to jinx us? I see at least 2 losses and at the start of the season 3. Hope I am wrong and that your exuberant post is true.

I do not think you were wrong @Ketchum. Are you trying to jinx us? I see at least 2 losses and at the start of the season 3. Hope I am wrong and that your exuberant post is true.
Yes, I am trying to jinx Texas. ;)

🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: 071191mhW
As a general answer, no.

They never throw the long ball to JWhitt; that's the obvious throw to Cook. But the long-ball role for Cook is redundant to any circumstance in which the game is on the line and Worthy & AD are also in the game.

JWhitt is not redundant because (1) he's our underneath, possession guy out of the slot, and (2) he is our best blocking receiver, a role which Sark relies on a lot, especially in our screen package which is very important to the overall scheme.

If Worthy goes down, god forbid, then Cook becomes far more important. But the things JWhitt brings, Cook does not bring. The key concept is complementary football. If Cook's going to take snaps, then it needs to be from AD, or maybe Worthy. Not from JWhitt.

Reactions: TheHorn
As a general answer, no.

They never throw the long ball to JWhitt; that's the obvious throw to Cook. But the long-ball role for Cook is redundant to any circumstance in which the game is on the line and Worthy & AD are also in the game.

JWhitt is not redundant because (1) he's our underneath, possession guy out of the slot, and (2) he is our best blocking receiver, a role which Sark relies on a lot, especially in our screen package which is very important to the overall scheme.

If Worthy goes down, god forbid, then Cook becomes far more important. But the things JWhitt brings, Cook does not bring. The key concept is complementary football. If Cook's going to take snaps, then it needs to be from AD, or maybe Worthy. Not from JWhitt.

I find that crazy. Whitt is a good blocker, but he's the least impressive skill guy the Longhorns have right now.

He has one touchdown in his last 19 games.

He's on pace to catch 30 passes for 372 yards and zero touchdowns.

That's not good enough in this Sark offense.

I find that crazy. Whitt is a good blocker, but he's the least impressive skill guy the Longhorns have right now.

You're too in love with statistics, or "metrics", and you forget the key concept which is complementary football, which produces the statistics. You confuse results for causes.

You're too in love with statistics, or "metrics", and you forget the key concept which is complementary football, which produces the statistics. You confuse results for causes.

I'm too in love with what actually happens.

What kind of receiving production do you believe the starting slot receiver for a Top 5 team should have?

I'm too in love with what actually happens.
"What actually happens" is already an interpretation of what actually happens.
What kind of receiving production do you believe the starting slot receiver for a Top 5 team should have?
4-0 production.

Kurt Rambis production.

2nd & 15 with 10:40 left in the 4th quarter vs Alabama kind of production.

Reactions: HSB Horn 2023
IMG-20230924-200911.jpg
Can’t wait for the break up song.

• Haha
Reactions: JBR2009
Travis Kelce...soon to have a song about him & it will not be flattering.

I feel like we all said that in August. Or at least a lot of us did, considering the offense they were going up against.
Were we, or were we thinking the offense may not be as good as we initially thought?

"What actually happens" is already an interpretation of what actually happens.

4-0 production.

Kurt Rambis production.

2nd & 15 with 10:40 left in the 4th quarter vs Alabama kind of production.
We simply have different expectations.

Reactions: MB-HORNS
We simply have different expectations.
I think my point is about redundant vs complementary skills. I don't doubt Cook's skill set, I just think JWhitt brings things that the others don't really bring, a kind of production which doesn't always look like receiving yards or long touchdowns for himself. I think I see more value in that kind of production than you do, and I don't really see anyone else (so far) in the receiving corps who can provide it as reliably as JWhitt can.

There's different ways to see it. That's fine. My way to see it is that an offense full of Ferraris is going to run up higher scores against marginal defenses. But an offense with complementary features is going to prove more diverse, more adaptable, more successful vs quality defenses.

I think my point is about redundant vs complementary skills. I don't doubt Cook's skill set, I just think JWhitt brings things that the others don't really bring, a kind of production which doesn't always look like receiving yards or long touchdowns for himself. I think I see more value in that kind of production than you do, and I don't really see anyone else (so far) in the receiving corps who can provide it as reliably as JWhitt can.

There's different ways to see it. That's fine. My way to see it is that an offense full of Ferraris is going to run up higher scores against marginal defenses. But an offense with complementary features is going to prove more diverse, more adaptable, more successful vs quality defenses.
I also think Cook brings things to the table that Whitt doesn't come close to brining.

I'm not saying I would have him take his job, just more snaps.

If your QB rarely looks for you...

We make excuses for Whitt like we make excuses for Ewers.
You're a big stats guy. Go watch every pass Ewers made and mark down every time he looked at JWhitt vs anyone else. Would be interested to see the numbers. Will happily admit if I'm wrong about him not getting many looks.

You're a big stats guy. Go watch every pass Ewers made and mark down every time he looked at JWhitt vs anyone else. Would be interested to see the numbers. Will happily admit if I'm wrong about him not getting many looks.

He hasn't scored a touchdown in 19 games. When he does catch passes, he doesn't break tackles, make guys miss or provide big plays.

Reactions: jgreene_machine
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT