ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (I'm not sure I'm going to give you what you want...)

First. Love the Herm clip and the comment about the staff needing upgrading.
Every single game is won or lost in preparation. Oh you might have one or two outliers but, 99% of the time it is prep that wins. Our defense is showing that these players are not prepared, that and the fact that the players are allowed to play their own game and not play sound assignment-based football.. That is why you see players lose contain, receivers running free (even at the goal line) and QB's running 15-20 yards before being touched. I would insure that these players understood their task and bench the first one who left his assignment to do another players assignment. Tell them, "do your damn job, that's it. And trust your brother."

Is this serious

I mean, has Baylor beat Florida State, Oklahoma, and Heisman-winning QB Lamar Jackson twice? Because that's what Herman did at Houston.

People need to slow their roll on Baylor. Okie State win was nice. Iowa State win was nice (won by 2 at home), but ISU isn't a world beater this year. Took two OTs to beat Tech at home.

They will get pummeled by OU and we beat them in Waco, as well. Mark it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gus McCrea
Thanks. If not the obvious things that I mentioned in my question what on earth does Coach Herman see as being the problem if you can elaborate?
Injuries and inexperience are probably the biggest ones.

So @Ketchum, the one stat I haven't seen you guys come up with is the average points scored per possession. It would be interesting to compare this offense to the VY and McCoy offenses, taking into account that the VY teams, for example, may have had more possessions because of their better defense.
I'll check it out.

this actually started as Herman at Houston vs Rhule at Baylor and since the schedules aren’t identical the context matters Rhule inherited the worst situation in college football and he’s the favorite for coach of the year. Can you debate that?
Yes.

I will be shocked if Baylor's QB Brewer doesn't get hurt. Brewer looks very skinny and wears little protection. He runs quite a bit.
He's turned into a very good college football player.

Glad you changed your mind. After the playoffs ended last year you said the Warriors wouldn't even make the playoffs next year.
That's still not an impossibility.

That team is a Curry injury away from some real trouble. Considering he turns 32 in March, we're likely entering the red meter in terms of mileage for a peak undersized player.

Reactions: I Hear Voices
The guy has done an outstanding job. Not sure why or how people debate this
That's not really what is being debated. He has done an outstanding job. He just hasn't beaten anyone of significance and hasn't accomplished anything substantial at this point.

Reactions: lightthetower0510
He also wasn't brought in to micromanage his football coach.

I wouldn't consider it micromanaging to make sure the cash cow he oversees is heading in the right direction on defense. His job is to ensure the football program is heading in an upward trajectory.

Rhule’s first year at Baylor, the season total was 8 wins because they had talent and he wins ONE game. Now he is some bad ass when BU still doesn’t have anything close to a signature win.

We really need for OSU to knock off ISU because they are the main roadblock in the Horns getting to the CCG.

That's still not an impossibility.

That team is a Curry injury away from some real trouble. Considering he turns 32 in March, we're likely entering the red meter in terms of mileage for a peak undersized player.

Good point.

I wouldn't consider it micromanaging to make sure the cash cow he oversees is heading in the right direction on defense. His job is to ensure the football program is heading in an upward trajectory.
I tend to find that the members of this board have been disappointed in the pressure applied from above the coaches for the last 20 years.

Yeah unless the wheels come off completely, expect to get this same staff back next year, unless someone like Warehime gets replaced.

Should they have lost at home to a Tech team playing its back up quarterback?
Absolutely. Even if they were 6-1 right now it’s an amazing coaching job for what he inherited. And that doesn’t change the fact that they will be favored in at least 3 of their last five. Doesn’t mean they definitely will win those games just means that Vegas thinks they are pretty good. And Vegas is pretty smart

At the start of the season you said "In Ehlinger, I obviously trust....The 2019 Texas Longhorns will be the 2019 Big 12 Champions. Write it in ink."

As much as Saturday was a scare, with 6 guys out on D that will be back somewhat soon, hopefully added depth at running back coming, of course Sam playing great, and given you had us write it in ink, are the chances still better than not we will be right?

Absolutely. Even if they were 6-1 right now it’s an amazing coaching job for what he inherited. And that doesn’t change the fact that they will be favored in at least 3 of their last five. Doesn’t mean they definitely will win those games just means that Vegas thinks they are pretty good. And Vegas is pretty smart
except that that one single loss knocks them out of the top 20 and removes his name from national COY honors...

It's speaks to the lack of strength in the resume at this point. It's very flimsy right now.

But, he is doing a great job in the correct context.

At the start of the season you said "In Ehlinger, I obviously trust....The 2019 Texas Longhorns will be the 2019 Big 12 Champions. Write it in ink."

As much as Saturday was a scare, with 6 guys out on D that will be back somewhat soon, hopefully added depth at running back coming, of course Sam playing great, and given you had us write it in ink, are the chances still better than not we will be right?
I'm pretty sure the context of my comment was in my wishy-washy approach towards making a prediction and not that the Longhorns would win the Big 12, no matter what.

The odds at this point are not better.

@Ketchum ridiculous question but would it be crazy to on side kick 2-3 times a game with the defense in its current state (against offenses with a pulse)? Assuming the other team is going to score at an 80% clip, getting 1 of those significantly increases our chances of winning (and by more than one score).

@Ketchum ridiculous question but would it be crazy to on side kick 2-3 times a game with the defense in its current state (against offenses with a pulse)? Assuming the other team is going to score at an 80% clip, getting 1 of those significantly increases our chances of winning (and by more than one score).
Slightly. I do think the team should always onside kick when it's kicking off from the 50 after an unsportsmanlike penalty is awarded on the kickoff. The chance to turn the other team over in good field position is worth the risk of losing 10-20 yards in field position.

Reactions: DrHorn98
I’m one of them and I do think CDC won’t tolerate
mediocrity.
I think that our perception of mediocre and CDC’S may not be the same. We have actually been invested in the Longhorn game for decades while CDC is simply late to the party and draws a big paycheck. He doesn’t bleed burnt orange and could move on to Alabama tomorrow and act just as invested in their team if price and title were right.

Of course, TCU is pretty salty on defense, ranking first in the Big 12 in total defense by a mile, second in pass defense and third in run defense.

Baylor is 1st in SCORING defense, OU 2nd, ...tcu comes in THIRD. Tech 4th, okst 5th, TEXAS 6TH.

Through the first seven games of the 2019 season, the Longhorns have a total of two sacks from their entire roster of defensive linemen.

Keondre Coburn and Ta'Quan Graham each have one. Every other defensive lineman on the roster has none.

There are 20 different players in the Big 12 with at least 2.5 sacks and 14 of them are defensive linemen.

In terms of quarterback hits, the Longhorns have one defensive lineman with more than one. Moro Ojomo has two. The rest of the Texas defensive line has combined for four.

That means the Longhorns are averaging a sack from their defensive line every 3.5 games and less than a single quarterback hit per game.

giphy.gif

D-Line coaching could be better?

DeMarvion Overshown - He made plays in every way a player can make plays, whether it was rushing the passer, dropping into coverage or coming in for run support. Play No. 31 more.

Byron Vaughns - After watching about 30 minutes of Vaughns on defense on Saturday night, it was hard not to ask where the hell has he been on the defensive side of the ball all season? Yes, he's still in need of a few dozen ham sandwiches and another year or two in the weight room, but his speed and playmaking ability are too good to keep on the bench all season until injuries forced Todd Orlando's hand. Play No. 50 more.

dqLNXal.gif
2d3r.gif

Reactions: Ketchum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT