ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Imagine how great the world would be if you loved swimming)

- You are correct. The injuries are starting to build up with Warren. Three RBs in that room are battling injuries. Depth is suddenly a concern.

- Harris wanted playing time. Doesn't appear Herman was willing to guarantee him that. It will be interesting to see if he takes the same approach with other grad transfers.

- If I'm Tony Romo, I'm not walking away from $15 million. My best friend (Jerry Jones) better cut me because I'm not leaving money on the table.
Man, RBs can go down so fast. I'm not sure you can ever feel safe with your RBs when rosters are capped at 85.

The point I think some are taking exception to is that in her sixth year, which is next season, I think the expectations for any coach at Texas for that long is that they have whichever program they lead at a nationally elite level. Texas is close, but not there yet.
Texas Fan doesn't appreciate how long it can take to get to "nationally elite" once a program slides into mediocrity. First you have to win, then you can recruit stars, then you can win bigly. That takes a long time in most cases.

They were an Elite 8 team a year ago. They did take a step back.

I'm not suggesting anyone's seat is hot.
I listened to you talk about this on your show today and you said it a little bit different, I think. I wasn't really disagreeing yesterday, but I totally agree with what you said on your show about the Lady Horns and Coach Aston. Thx!

Did Shane post ratings of under 136.0 in seven of his last 10 games (70-percent)?

Yes or no,

How many teams with a 6-6 or better record did he throw for 136.0+ against?

I'll hang up and listen.

You have parsed all of my posts in this thread to find the most negative things you can about Shane. I find that unfair.

You ignored my point about comparing him to other true freshmen QBs, and now you want me to do research in response to your post. No thanks.

I don't care if you want to make a QB controversy, or if you just like shaking the leaves about QBs. I don't see an insidious conspiracy here, though I do think Herman uses the press some and you and Anwar are among those that have bit. But all that's pretty meaningless stuff to me.

My point was simple, you have a guy who had a good (parse that word to, like you did with "exceptional") year at UT as a true freshman. That means you have an experienced QB with three full years to play, which is what he is going to do. Shane is going to get bigger and more mature physically, along with having the experience that helps him mentally. We heard countless stories about him being a leader, competitor, mature beyond his years from his dads MLB days, gym rat, etc etc, A guy that never gets in trouble. Yet somehow we are suppose to believe that Sam E is going to take his job away because he is an "alpha"??? Sorry, that is a story that lacks all common sense. Sam may have a great future, I hope so. But he is far from a 5 star QB, his skill set seems very complete, (when he actually plays, which has been a major issue) but far from elite, NFL type tools. Again, nothing in this picture makes any sense, other than Herman wanting to light a fire under Shane as the QB/leader of this team.

Texas Fan doesn't appreciate how long it can take to get to "nationally elite" once a program slides into mediocrity. First you have to win, then you can recruit stars, then you can win bigly. That takes a long time in most cases.
I think six years is more than enough time at a school like Texas, though. No?

You have parsed all of my posts in this thread to find the most negative things you can about Shane. I find that unfair.

You ignored my point about comparing him to other true freshmen QBs, and now you want me to do research in response to your post. No thanks.

I don't care if you want to make a QB controversy, or if you just like shaking the leaves about QBs. I don't see an insidious conspiracy here, though I do think Herman uses the press some and you and Anwar are among those that have bit. But all that's pretty meaningless stuff to me.

My point was simple, you have a guy who had a good (parse that word to, like you did with "exceptional") year at UT as a true freshman. That means you have an experienced QB with three full years to play, which is what he is going to do. Shane is going to get bigger and more mature physically, along with having the experience that helps him mentally. We heard countless stories about him being a leader, competitor, mature beyond his years from his dads MLB days, gym rat, etc etc, A guy that never gets in trouble. Yet somehow we are suppose to believe that Sam E is going to take his job away because he is an "alpha"??? Sorry, that is a story that lacks all common sense. Sam may have a great future, I hope so. But he is far from a 5 star QB, his skill set seems very complete, (when he actually plays, which has been a major issue) but far from elite, NFL type tools. Again, nothing in this picture makes any sense, other than Herman wanting to light a fire under Shane as the QB/leader of this team.
a. what you think is most negative is literally the existence we live in. That's reality. I find it interesting that you constantly seem to try to run away from it.

b. I have no interest in a QB controversy. That doesn't mean that there isn't a battle taking place.

c.. It's easier to believe we're being used than it is for you to believe reality it seems.

d. You overrate Buechele by leaps and bounds at this point. He's a young guy that should probably not have seen the light of day on the field last year. He wasn't ready last year and I don't know that he's truly ready now.

I feel that way about both quarterbacks.

It's the reason I push back at the hyperbole you use in this discussion.

p.s. - You never answered my questions. For a guy accusing someone of parsing comments, maybe you look in the mirror during this conversation.

Reactions: drunk randoke
Kinda slow.
That's what was great about it imo. I appreciated that it wasn't all guns and shootings all the time. It's a character study of both Jesse James - at the latter stage of his life - and Robert Ford, who grew up idolizing the man he'd eventually kill and what the fallout of that action was. Great performances by Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck.

Reactions: TexasSailor76
a. what you think is most negative is literally the existence we live in. That's reality. I find it interesting that you constantly seem to try to run away from it.

b. I have no interest in a QB controversy. That doesn't mean that there isn't a battle taking place.

c.. It's easier to believe we're being used than it is for you to believe reality it seems.

d. You overrate Buechele by leaps and bounds at this point. He's a young guy that should probably not have seen the light of day on the field last year. He wasn't ready last year and I don't know that he's truly ready now.

I feel that way about both quarterbacks.

It's the reason I push back at the hyperbole you use in this discussion.

p.s. - You never answered my questions. For a guy accusing someone of parsing comments, maybe you look in the mirror during this conversation.
We love and I mean love QB controversy.

Reactions: Hook 'em Danno
I think six years is more than enough time at a school like Texas, though. No?
Texas written on a jersey does not make it magical. Could it be done quicker? Its certainly possible that one of a handful of people could get it done quicker. But can you get Gino to leave UConn to come to Texas, probably not...assuming you want to stay within market salary constraints.

That's what was great about it imo. I appreciated that it wasn't all guns and shootings all the time. It's a character study of both Jesse James - at the latter stage of his life - and Robert Ford, who grew up idolizing the man he'd eventually kill and what the fallout of that action was. Great performances by Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck.
Again, solid movie. Maybe I need to give it another look.

We love and I mean love QB controversy.
It creates zero benefits to the site, though, contrary to popular opinion.

I'd rather see a bad ass quarterback than two average ones battle it out like we have the last seven seasons.

Texas written on a jersey does not make it magical. Could it be done quicker? Its certainly possible that one of a handful of people could get it done quicker. But can you get Gino to leave UConn to come to Texas, probably not...assuming you want to stay within market salary constraints.
You guys have become quite the standard droppers in the last seven years.;)

Where's Anwar?
Best-Place-for-Sleeping.jpg

msw_splash_page_800x600.jpg

My goodness, if only Texas football fans loved swimming as much as they loved football.

Can you imagine such a world?

It’s a place where even the likes of Nick Saban and Urban Meyer blush over the amount of success enjoyed by Eddie Reese.

Can you imagine the happiness that would exist in your life?

It’s a place where the amount of second-guessing on a message board is pretty much muted at all times because there’s virtually nothing to second-guess.

Can you just imagine?

Honestly, I’m not sure that I can, especially after the last seven seasons at DKR.

As the Texas Longhorns polished off their 13th national championship under Reese in his 39 seasons (1/3 of a near four-decade career ends in a national title!!!!!!), it’s almost impossible to comprehend what has occurred under his watch in the pool.

Consider that the Longhorns won the national title this weekend with 542 points and tied their own NCAA record with victories in 11 of the meet’s 21 events. Or that Reese’s Chlorine Squad broke seven NCAA records and three American records. Or that runner-up California only finished 193 points behind the Longhorns.

Basically, the Longhorns turned a four-day swim event into a replay of the 2005 Big 12 Championship game.

Again.

I don’t have a single new thought about Reese to say. It’s all been said before.

Instead, I’m just going to sit here in awe … and wonder out loud what running Orangebloods would look and feel like if swimming was the sport that mattered around here instead of football.

No. 2 – Crack in the armor ...

look-kids-big-ben-o.gif

Once upon a time, the best wide receiver in the history of the Texas program was considered more urban myth and ghost than great player.

For two seasons, Texas faithful heard about the legend of Jordan Shipley and by the time he stepped on the field in 2006, you kept waiting for him to step on a crack and break his own back.

By the time he departed the program following the 2009 season, he had emerged into the receiver that everyone had once hoped Roy Williams would turn into. In the biggest game of his life, Shipley caught 10 passes against Alabama for 122 yards and a pair of touchdowns. With all due respect to the Alabama team that won a national title that night, it was Shipley who was the best player on the field.

Just ask anyone in that Alabama secondary.

When I heard the news of Chris Warren's latest injury issue (a dreaded hammy problem), I thought of Shipley and the roll of the eyes that his name used to create around these parts because that's where we are right now with Warren.

His being banged up is the least surprising thing you could tell a Texas fan at the moment, which is horribly unfortunate because Warren is such a key component, in theory, to Tom Herman's first season in Austin. A season ago, a Warren-less offense meant more carries for D'Onta Foreman, which allowed for one of the greatest individual seasons any running back at this school has ever enjoyed.

That's not the case this season, a truth that threatens to leave a sting on the season if other answers can't be found.

As Herman looks to find his solution at the most important position on the field, having a strong running game that can relieve the pressure on his future starting quarterback is critical. If this is going to be a successful season, the running game must be a strength of the offense, but it's tough to pinpoint what that strength is going to look like in terms of specific parts.

If Warren is plan A, then the Texas coaches better have a plan B (and possibly a plan C ready to go) from the very first whistle of the season because until Warren proves that he can stay on the field, I don't know how you can plan to build around him over 12 games.

mNVFOvs.gif

No. 3 – Interesting thing a little birdie tells me ...

A little birdie of mine, someone that has seen multiple practices this season, conveyed an interesting opinion to me following Saturday’s practice.

“I don’t think anyone is ahead at quarterback,” the little birdie tweeted at me. “Based on performance, both players look exactly like young players trying to figure out a new offense. I’ve yet to think to myself that Shane Buechele is ahead of Sam Ehlinger, or vice versa.”

The little birdie continued …

“Both quarterbacks will make plays that inspire, but it happens too infrequently apart. Honestly, I find myself watching other parts of the team more often than the quarterbacks.”

Finally, I asked the little birdie if he would bring in LSU transfer Brandon Harris based on what he has seen in practice.

“I would bring in an older guy because I think that group could use an older player arounds them. Neither player has another player to turn to in practice to talk to and there was a point in Saturday’s practice when I thought one of them looked frustrated. After the coaches talked to him a little bit, he seemed to turn to look for someone to talk to, but there wasn’t anyone there.”

No. 4 – About Brandon Harris to UNC …

Seems pretty simple on the surface … Harris chose the school that desperately needs him over the school that only thinks it might need him.

Is it a big loss?

Man, I have no idea how good Harris’ ceiling is at this point in his career, but I’ll buy that he’s a decent player that desperately needs an offensive scheme that better fits his skill set. Beyond that, it’s hard to say he’s a game-changer.

Is it a loss, though?

Yeah, there’s a reason why Tom Herman was in pursuit. This quarterback room at Texas could use some upperclassmen touch and there’s a part of me that wonders whether Shane Buechele and Sam Ehlinger are both players that would be better off still developing for another season behind the scenes in a perfect world.

The unknown of the Texas quarterback situation made Harris look attractive, even if he’s never proven to be a plus-player at this level, a feeling probably created by anxiety.

Would Harris have eliminated the anxiety with his arrival?

No.

Would Harris have relieved the anxiety with his arrival.

Maybe, but just a small bit.

No. 5 – Scattershooting on the Longhorns …

… It’s really disappointing that Kirk Johnson just hasn’t been able to get completely right yet in his quest to make an impact at running back. With injuries to Tristian Houston and Warren, sophomore Kyle Porter couldn’t have a better platform to make a case that he warrants heavy involvement in 2017 planning. It’s pretty much his show right now.

… From left to right, the second-team offensive line on Saturday included: Patrick Hudson, Elijah Rodriguez, Terrell Cuney, JP Urquidez, Denzel Okafor. In other words … redshirt freshman, junior, junior, redshirt freshman and sophomore. Of that group, only Rodriguez (two) and Okafor (one) have lettered. Bottom line – a couple of these young kids need to grow up fast … real fast.

… Charlie Strong had a fair share of complaints for his out-of-state recruiting in the early stages of his tenure, but where on earth would this Texas defensive line be without Poona Ford and Chris Nelson? While I was the first and loudest person to warn everyone that contributions from last year’s defensive tackle class shouldn’t be assumed in year one, I am surprised that no one from that 2016 recruiting group has really established himself as the clear-cut leader for playing time.

… Yes, if I was going into a dark alley and I had to choose any Longhorns player to be by my side, I’m taking DeShon Elliott with me. Let’s see … unafraid to date his coach’s daughter? Check. Ready to fight the entire Baylor team? Check. Wins convincingly in the bull in the ring drill? That kid has some Jammer in him.

… On that note, I’m very disappointed that no video exists on the Internet of Quentin Jammer’s martial arts tournament exploits.

… Ok, with this declaration from Herman, it’s official.

No. 6 – Buy or sell …

BUY or SELL: There is a greater than 50% chance Shane Buechele is not the starter by the OU game?

(Sell) I don’t know what the percentage is, but I’ll go with Buechele being the start for that game at slightly greater than 50-percent

BUY or SELL: Someone from the 2017 football team will win a national award?

(Sell) I think what you’re probably asking me is whether Connor Williams wins the Outland Trophy or if Michael Dickson wins the Ray Guy Award and I’d probably bet against it happening, although both will likely be in serious contention. If Texas can get to 10 wins this season, I think Williams’ chances would dramatically improve.

BUY or SELL: The student appreciation day was a complete failure due to lack of student participation, with contributing factors including more things to do in Austin and the UT student demographic?

(Sell) I think the students that were there would describe it as something different than a complete failure. Could it have been better? Sure. However, there were quite a few big-time prospects that painted the scene as a very good time and I’d argue Saturday was a good day for the program.

BUY or SELL: Assuming Herman and Stoops are still around, Texas wins more Big 12 championships in the next 10 years than Oklahoma?

(Sell) To be the man, you have to beat the man, and I’m not going to bet against Stoops until someone takes the belt from him. Herman hasn’t taken the belt.

BUY or SELL: Josh Covey will play at least at one point in his career at Texas?

(Buy) Before his career is over, Texas will beat someone so bad that the walk-on quarterback will get a few kneel-downs or handoffs to walk-on running backs before his career concludes. Absolutely.

BUY or SELL: Insider information, leaks, and off the record team updates are harder to come by since Tom Herman’s hire?

(Buy) I think to a degree, but a lot of that might have to do with the fact that everyone had three years to create some new sourcing and in some respects had to hit a reset button of sorts. I also would contend that Herman’s desire to be out in front of this issue by being much more available than his predecessors has to be included in the discussion because it’s not an apple to apple topic.

BUY or SELL: Due to continuing inconsistent play at QB and inability to replace Foreman's production at RB, Texas' offensive numbers from 2016 season aren't significantly improved upon, but the defensive, kicking game, and coaching improvements are substantial enough to allow the 2017 Longhorns to finish 8-4 in regular season play?

(Buy) That’s kind of where I am right now. Great question.

BUY or SELL: This is the best DB class the state of Texas has ever seen?

(Sell) It was just a few years ago that the 2014 class produced Jamal Adams (top five pick in 2017 NFL Draft), Tony Brown (current starter at Alabama and future high pick in the 2018 NFL Draft), Edward Paris (senior part-time starter at LSU), Nick Harvey (two-year starter at Texas A&M) and Dylan Sumner-Gardner (Boise State flame-out) all as top-10 prospects in the state of Texas. That class also produced A&M’s Armani Watts, Oregon’s Arrion Springs, Oklahoma’s Jordan Thomas, TCU’s Nick Orr and UT’s John Bonney.

BUY OR SELL: Glenn Close is the greatest actress to have never won an Academy Award although she has been nominated six times (The World According To Garp, The Big Chill, The Natural, Fatal Attraction, Dangerous Liasons, and Albert Nobbs). Amy Adams is in second place with five (Junebug, Doubt, The Fighter, The Master and American Hustle).

(Sell) I’ll go with Greta Garbo, who was nominated for four Oscars before the age of 35, before retiring and pretty much becoming the female Howard Hughes recluse of her time.

BUY or SELL: SHE gets 10+ years?

giphy.gif

No. 7 – The last steps are always the hardest …

The Texas women’s basketball team hit the wall on Friday night in its regional semifinal against Stanford for a variety of reasons, but there were two glaring issues in the final moments of a double-digit loss.

Texas needs a shooter. Actually, the Longhorns needs shooters (plural).

Karen Aston’s team just wasn’t quite ready for prime-time. Stanford was just flat out better and made all the big plays in the second half.

As a byproduct, Aston’s Longhorns ended the 2017 season without taking the kinds of baby steps forward that they have taken in each of the last three seasons. After reaching the Elite 8 a season ago, only to run into the UConn monster, the Longhorns appeared to be a team that was on the verge of joining the nation’s elite of the elite four weeks ago when they were 10 minutes away from clinching a Big 12 title.

Yet, that loss to Baylor at home, which followed a loss to Oklahoma, kick-started a 4-5 finish to the season that witnessed Texas not win the conference title, flame out of the Big 12 Tournament and fail to even return to the round in the NCAA Tournament that it reached a season ago.

That’s called a disappointing season.

It also speaks to the rebuild that Aston has done in Austin in her five seasons that we’re discussing a 25-8 season as a disappointment, but that’s where we are at the moment. Heart and determination aren’t an issue as much as the reality that Aston’s team merely lacked important skill that was always going to be its undoing.

This off-season needs to be about shoring up the blind spots that sidetracked the season because at some point when you're six years into a job at a place like Texas, you’re either achieving national success or you’re failing at your job.

No. 8 – The sweet, sweet sounds of sweeping …

Nothing will take the sting out of winning the first two games of a conference series quite like losing the third game in sloppiness.

After a Texas Tech sweep last weekend, a loss on Sunday might have represented the ultimate “two steps forward, one step back” weekend for Texas.

Yet by hook or by crook, the Longhorns got out of Sunday with a 6-5 win over Kansas State and suddenly things don’t look nearly as dire as they might have looked seven days ago.

There’s no reason to go crazy just yet, but that’s a step in the right direction for a team that has occasionally taken a few steps backwards.

No. 9 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

… I can’t believe I allowed myself to almost go all-in on Kansas with three games to go in the NCAA Tournament. Good grief, what was I thinking? I’ve been to the circus a million times and I still acted like I had never seen the strings.

… I’ll never doubt Gonzaga again. That team has almost replaced Kansas as the team I’m about to go all-in with. Sorry in advance, Zags.

… Man, say what you want about Frank Martin and where he once came from, but he took Kansas State to an Elite 8 and has South Carolina in the Final Four. That’s some coaching right there, I’ll tell you what.

… South Carolina plays like the team at the neighborhood park that never loses in an entire afternoon’s worth of play.

… Please, shut up until the Tournament is over, Lavar Ball. For the love of God, please.

… You know who could really use Colin Kaepernick in 2017? America’s Team.

… Tony Romo should take that job with CBS and never look back. Are you kidding me, he’d be in a position to replace Phil Simms by the end of the decade on the network’s No. 1 team.

… Christian Pulisic isn’t just the future of US Soccer, he’s the present as well. It’s pretty crazy to see the U.S. team with one of the world’s best young players pulling the strings in central midfield. Barring injuries, he’s the face of the squad for at least the next four world cups.

… ESPNFC is calling Clint Dempsey the best American soccer player of all-time. Nacogdoches, holla!

James Rodriguez to Liverpool? Come on, Reds, finish strong in these final nine games.

No. 10 – And finally…

In honor of the late Teddy P, I give you my top five all-time songs from the Philadelphia great.

5. When Somebody Loves You Back

4. Close The Door

3. Love TKO

2. Turn Off The Lights

If You Don’t Know Me By Now

Good stuff! Btw, IMHO....Teddy is top 10 R&B goats for sure. Marvin Gaye, Luther Vandross, Barry White, Bill Withers, Al Green, Ray Charles. Tough to rank those. But Teddy's fur and your new avatar are definitely GOAT.

Surprised there's not more pushback re: Ketch sensing ~8 wins versus 10 like many here.

I had not watched or read anything about women's basketball since the Texas loss Friday. Too much emotional investment. But you sucked me in hiding it there in the ten thoughts. Now I'm thinking about it again. Great.

First, I don't see it as a disappointing season. I see it as a disappointing finish.

Realistically this was probably about where they should have ended. Top 15ish. Good enough to be competitive with anyone and win some big games on good nights. Fun to watch.

But this was a flawed team from the start. First, you are not an elite team if you start someone as scoring challenged as B Taylor. Hard working young women who is good defensively. But a huge liability offensively. Second they started a center who was good, but never great. Lang has size and good fundamentals. But does not seem to have an athletic bone in her body. Not fast, not quick, can't jump, and doesn't have good hands. Really had no chance against athletic centers of similar size. Those two liabilities allowed teams to focus on harassing McCartey and Atkins. No need to double Lang in the post and no need to guard Taylor at all. Against good teams they really had to rely on execution to get anything done.

Stanford was lost by not rebounding. A strength for Texas all season, they were just abused by the Cardinal. I haven't looked at the numbers, but my observation was that going into the fourth they needed to make every shot they took to have a chance because they would never get a second shot. Rebounding is about effort and I just never saw it Friday night.

I think the future is bright. But I would really like for them to find either a JUCO center or shooting guard who could contribute right away - or both - to provide depth and flexibility. I would hate to waste the senior year for McCartey and Atkins.

Reactions: Hill
I realize a coaching regime change also changes some of your sources, but after last years TS/SB preseason reports from "sources" I don't believe anything OB says about the QB issue and I am more and more skeptical of much of your reporting. I would say your credibility has been reduced to no more than 85% confidence level.

You guys have become quite the standard droppers in the last seven years.;)
Actually, this has always been true. How many years was Royal the coach before Texas became "nationally elite."

Nice read!

A few thoughts...it would've been nice to have the swim meet televised, I mean isn't that what ESPNU is for?

I think more and more on here are getting into the volleyball and boy what a time to start paying attention to the girls cause they are STACKED! Been looking for the next Cat Osterman? Lexi Sun IMO is going to be it. Football will always be king but let's not forget about the something special that's happening on campus. When coach Elliot is excited about this team this early that's all I need to know to make sure I catch as much of the season as possible.

As far as "america's team"? The facts are the facts and nothing anyone says can change that. If Stephen A Smith hates us you know we are doing something right!

Reactions: TexSoul
I realize a coaching regime change also changes some of your sources, but after last years TS/SB preseason reports from "sources" I don't believe anything OB says about the QB issue and I am more and more skeptical of much of your reporting. I would say your credibility has been reduced to no more than 85% confidence level.
a. That wasn't my personal reporting on the Swoopes/QB issue.
b. That info literally came from the top of the program, a place incapable of playing chess.
c. I can't make you believe something you don't or can't believe, but you listed once point of contention and no other examples in your sweeping judgment.
d. Nice little 85-percent jab. Subtle.

I assure you that I am more skeptical of your posts than you are of my reporting.

ADVERTISEMENT