ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend: Is it time to go Portal Fishing?

in YOUR mind.

They don't live for you.

Come on Ketch. The Dixie Chicks changing their name to The Chicks when absolutely NO ONE was calling for them to do so accomplished absolutely nothing. They get to tell people how socially responsible they are and that is it. It's fine to live for themselves and there are 1000 ways to make a difference but this is nothing more than them being able to tell themselves they try harder than anyone else without actually doing anything.

If something is legitimately offensive and needs to be addressed then lets address it and make a change. but no one is listening to Goodbye Earl and thinking, "you know, the name Dixie is pretty racist". We need to confront real racism in the world and stop trying to shoehorn racism into every facet of society.

I;d to see someone show me their Top 10 song list. Let's see them.

My 90’s Top 10 Country list:
10. Independence Day-Martina McBride
9. Streets of Bakersfield- Dwight & Buck
8. Go Rest High on That Mountain- Vince Gill
7. Holes In The Floor of Heaven- Steve Warriner
6. Two Dozen Roses- Shenandoah
5. Chasin’ That Neon Rainbow- Alan Jackson
4. The Dance- Garth Brooks
3. Time Marches On- Tracy Lawrence
2. Friends In Low Places- Garth Brooks
1. Small Town Saturday Night- Hal Ketchum

Come on Ketch. The Dixie Chicks changing their name to The Chicks when absolutely NO ONE was calling for them to do so accomplished absolutely nothing. They get to tell people how socially responsible they are and that is it. It's fine to live for themselves and there are 1000 ways to make a difference but this is nothing more than them being able to tell themselves they try harder than anyone else without actually doing anything.

If something is legitimately offensive and needs to be addressed then lets address it and make a change. but no one is listening to Goodbye Earl and thinking, "you know, the name Dixie is pretty racist". We need to confront real racism in the world and stop trying to shoehorn racism into every facet of society.
It accomplished nothing other than to make them comfortable in their name.

That's enough.

Reactions: aarontxex
I'm going to circle back to this when I get done dropping the kids off at school. ;)

It accomplished nothing other than to make them comfortable in their name.

That's enough.
Fair enough. They invented an issue and remedied the made up problem. Glad they feel better.

Fair enough. They invented an issue and remedied the made up problem. Glad they feel better.

They did what they felt was right. They did it without consideration to earning dollars or how their detractors might feel.

They reevaluated their relationship to the group name in he context of the times and leaned into their ethos. I consider that to be pretty brave.

Reactions: aarontxex

Ok, a few thoughts...

#1 - Thanks for making the list. I always love to see other people folow up with their own lists.

#2 - Interesting list. We both agree on the two Garth songs. They HAVE to be on the list.

#3 - What made you chose this particular Hal Ketchum song? That one caught me off guard. Is it just the message of the song about what happens in a small town? Do you think you have a theme in your 10 songs?

#4 - Not a single song from King George?

#5 - I would have thought Some Fools Never Learn would be the Wariner entry.

#6 - Feels like you are more into early 90s than late 90s, no?

Reactions: Jmonstermont
Ok, a few thoughts...

#1 - Thanks for making the list. I always love to see other people folow up with their own lists.

#2 - Interesting list. We both agree on the two Garth songs. They HAVE to be on the list.

#3 - What made you chose this particular Hal Ketchum song? That one caught me off guard. Is it just the message of the song about what happens in a small town? Do you think you have a theme in your 10 songs?

#4 - Not a single song from King George?

#5 - I would have thought Some Fools Never Learn would be the Wariner entry.

#6 - Feels like you are more into early 90s than late 90s, no?

You bet Ketch! I can appreciate you taking the time to make your lists and all the harassment (good natured no doubt) that comes with it.

I grew up in San Angelo and I feel like Small Town Saturday Night narrates my childhood experiences. As for a theme, probably so. I think we all have tendencies and I like a stories that I can relate to.

My wife was ready to disown me over the King George omission. LOVE George, I just prefer his 80’s music more than his 90’s. Really enjoy his duet with AJ- Designated Drinker.

Some fools never learn is a favorite as well. Anything from Steve Warriner and Keith Whitley is pretty darn good-imo.

I began to listen to country music in the early 90s in place of all other music so there may be some bias toward that era. Chasin’ That Neon Rainbow will always be a top 5 for me because of the memories our family made and that song was always a part of it in my world. Songs take on different meanings to all of us and the stories seem to bond us to them. Funny how that works.

• Love
Reactions: Ketchum
You bet Ketch! I can appreciate you taking the time to make your lists and all the harassment (good natured no doubt) that comes with it.

I grew up in San Angelo and I feel like Small Town Saturday Night narrates my childhood experiences. As for a theme, probably so. I think we all have tendencies and I like a stories that I can relate to.

My wife was ready to disown me over the King George omission. LOVE George, I just prefer his 80’s music more than his 90’s. Really enjoy his duet with AJ- Designated Drinker.

Some fools never learn is a favorite as well. Anything from Steve Warriner and Keith Whitley is pretty darn good-imo.

I began to listen to country music in the early 90s in place of all other music so there may be some bias toward that era. Chasin’ That Neon Rainbow will always be a top 5 for me because of the memories our family made and that song was always a part of it in my world. Songs take on different meanings to all of us and the stories seem to bond us to them. Funny how that works.
Thanks for sharing! That's good stuff.

I think I made a giant mistake. "Tell Lorrie I Love Her" was released on a greatest hits album and that probably HAS to be on a top 10 list. There's not a more haunting song in any genre in the entire decade.

Not nice. ;)
FWIW, I love all my hometown teams. Grew up 10 mins from DFW airport. Been difficult, but I’m loyal to the soil. Rangers, Stars, Mavericks, Cowboys and Longhorns. Even went to Texas Motor Speedway nascar and Indy races for almost 20 years. I haven’t been the past 5 or so. If the Rangers win, it would be a feeling I’ve never felt, World Series champion!

FWIW, I love all my hometown teams. Grew up 10 mins from DFW airport. Been difficult, but I’m loyal to the soil. Rangers, Stars, Mavericks, Cowboys and Longhorns. Even went to Texas Motor Speedway nascar and Indy races for almost 20 years. I haven’t been the past 5 or so. If the Rangers win, it would be a feeling I’ve never felt, World Series champion!
Here's hoping that feeling doesn't happen this year and it's reserved for my Phils. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: helling11
Thanks for sharing! That's good stuff.

I think I made a giant mistake. "Tell Lorrie I Love Her" was released on a greatest hits album and that probably HAS to be on a top 10 list. There's not a more haunting song in any genre in the entire decade.
We’re cookin’ in the same kitchen. Tell Lorrie I love her is one of my favorites as well. Incredibly haunting.

Hey Ketch, I think you mislabeled and mixed up your Alt Rock Honorable Mention & top-10.

Kudos on the Ely inclusion on the country list and breaking out Grunge into its own category, though.

What should it look like?
Of course I'm kidding and this is all subjective. I know you're big on "Grace" and it's just never done it for me but your appreciation of Eva Cassidy more than makes up for the Buckley love.

My personal top-10 (using only songs from your HM and Top-10 lists)
11 (tie) because I can't pick one and March of the Pigs isn't on this list: NIN - Hurt & Closer
10. The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
9. The Breeders - Cannonball
8. The Cure - Friday I'm in Love
7. Pavement - Gold Soundz
6. Hole - Doll Parts (though I prefer Malibu)
5. Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name
4. Liz Phair - F*** and Run
3. Pulp - Common People
2. Beck - Loser
1. Radiohead - Paranoid Android ---OK Computer just captured the zeitgeist, technological exuberance/dread of the anxious pre-Y2k transition to the 21st century so well...

This is interesting. My wife lives for 90's country and so I had her make up her own list and it VERY STRONGLY resembles yours! You didn't date a girl named Sheila in the 90's did you?

SAME! Grew up in Bedford.

I moved to Iowa in 2009 and actually went to the Rangers/Cardinals World Series Game 6 in St Louis because StL is only a 4 hour drive. You know, the one where the Rangers were 1 pitch away from winning their first WS when David Freeze ripped our hearts out? I thought that team was going to contend for years.

This is interesting. My wife lives for 90's country and so I had her make up her own list and it VERY STRONGLY resembles yours! You didn't date a girl named Sheila in the 90's did you?
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: 😂😂😂

SAME! Grew up in Bedford.

I moved to Iowa in 2009 and actually went to the Rangers/Cardinals World Series Game 6 in St Louis because StL is only a 4 hour drive. You know, the one where the Rangers were 1 pitch away from winning their first WS when David Freeze ripped our hearts out? I thought that team was going to contend for years.

That's taking in the wrong kind of history.

I’d have to have “Don’t Close your Eyes”-Keith Whitley on my list. Love that you have “I can still make Cheyenne” on the list. Underrated by many.

I’d have to have “Don’t Close your Eyes”-Keith Whitley on my list. Love that you have “I can still make Cheyenne” on the list. Underrated by many.

"Don't Close Your Eyes" is a song written by Bob McDill, and recorded by American country music artist Keith Whitley. It was released in March 1988 as third single from his album of the same name. In the United States, the single reached number-one for the week of August 13, while peaking at number 2 in Canada. Additionally, it was Billboard's number-one country single of the year 1988.[1]

No sir. I’ve been with the same girl since 1988. Tell your wife she has excellent taste in music and men.

Reactions: txfight
For a guy who runs a CFB you showed a laughlingly lack of knowledge of the game.

1. You conveniently left out Domer losing a heartbreaker at home to some school named tOSU.

2. One week later they had to go to unbeaten Duke for a night game.

3. One week later they had to go to unbeaten Louisville for a night game.

4. After a big home win over Domer did you really think Louisville wasn’t ripe for a letdown?

FWIW, Texas doesn’t remotely have as tough a 3 game that Domer came off before they pounded SC.

Consider yourself smarter now
Who in the world do you think you made smarter with that ridiculous statement?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT