ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Is the Texas D really the 85 Bears?)

Dont go away mad is SO underrated!
Game Show Thank You GIF by Kinda Funny

It’s not good. Losing DCL and Iwobi on top of McNeil, Harrison, and Coleman being out is brutal. There’s no depth and we still have to watch Keane be trotted out there.

On one hand they played well against Fulham last week outside of finishing. Villa was a terrible matchup and maybe it’s the type of defeat that leads to reaction in the market and the lineup.

The next 2 months will be telling with Wolves, Brentford, Sheffield, Luton, Bournemouth, and West Ham. If they are at the bottom to start November, they’ve wasted the easiest run of their fixtures.

They’re in hope mode that there are 3 clubs that are worse and have worse injury luck.
DCL just can't stay healthy. It has to e frustrating.

>4,000 yards?!?! WTF? LOL! People pay money for this site. Put the crack pipe down. Try to be serious.

Single season Rank-Player-Yards-Year

1 Colt McCoy 3,859 2008
2 Sam Ehlinger 3,663 2019
3 Colt McCoy 3,521 2009
4 Major Applewhite 3,357 1999
5 Colt McCoy 3,303 2007
6 Sam Ehlinger 3,292 2018
7 Chris Simms 3,207 2002
8 Vince Young 3,036 2005
9 Shane Buechele 2,958 2016
10 Garrett Gilbert 2,744 2010
Quinn Ewers 2,177 2022
I expect Texas to be a pass heavy team and for them to play in 14 games.

That's 285 yards per game.

Put the crack pipe down and learn simple math. ;)

Hyperbole?

Not in the proper context. When talking about 15 practices, they are really big, especially for players not locked into positions as starters or on the two deep.

History suggests that we better keep our fingers crossed that upperclassmen (edit: non-freshmen) are the leading playmakers on both sides of the ball this season..

Probably. You always want your older players to lead the way, but some times the young pups bite.

Certified hyperbole, and excellent bullet board material for any opponent this season.

It was a tongue-in-cheek remark. I'm sure most will have saw it that way. Nobody really tinks they are getting gold jackets.

Your absolute best and most concise summary yet regarding the state of this Texas Longhorns football team.

That almost hurts my feelings. ;)

Some things should be obvious. QE is unquestionably one of the best and most valuable players on this team. I’ve no doubt that this view is shared among teammates and the coaching staff. Suggesting otherwise is simply comical.

What makes him unquestionably one of the best? It's not his performances to date.

Both players are listed in your Top 7 players, yet one seems to be far inferior to the other. Doesn’t sound like your suggested Top 10 is very deep.

You think because one guy got beat on a rep in scrimmage, it makes him far inferior to the other? I mean... one guy is a possible first round pick and the other might be a possible second day pick. Again, some proper context, my man.

So, in your view a true freshman Safety is challenging QE for Top 10 status on this team?

I didn't stutter.

It’s ok to admit that women’s soccer isn’t all that interesting to you and many others, irrespective of the time zone challenges.

I enjoy is when I have a rooting interest. It's ok to admit that is can be interesting to others, irrespective of the time zone challenges.

He’s having fun, for sure, but he knows full well the level of competition he’s up against. Up to now, I suspect that it hasn’t been about having fun but more about becoming the GOAT, which I imagine isn’t a very fun journey. Becasue of this, I see him reacting in a very humble and respectful way to US fans and his teammates.

He was miserable at PSG. He's stated as much.

I'm not sure you really enjoyed the column based on the tings you decided to respond to. It sounds like you took exception to every other word.

Having been an avid Texas fan for over 30 years, and a member of this site for near 20 years, practice reports must be taken with several grains of salt. But we all know this.

Things that happen in practice only partially resemble actual games. Note that Sark and Co. have emphasized “situational” practices — specific situations the team either struggled with last year and in the Spring. That is, working on weaknesses. And we have heard improvement.

The best takeaway from the reports is that there have been no injuries, they heavily emphasizing “situational practices”, and the QB room is not a liability. Again, the defense knows our playbook.

Chill my friends.

Pretty cool note about taking your daughter to the card show. I remember going to card/trade shows with my mom and sister when we were younger. That was when pokemon cards first came out and there was just so much to look for.

Thank you for the Bill Little memories. He wrote some great stories about various players and I always enjoyed his “Longhorn Legends” at halftime on the radio. We would be watching the Horns on TV but we always turned the radio on at halftime.

Honestly, I can't remember the last time a young Texas cornerback was making such an impression this early in his career. He's not just playing well, he's making plays almost every day.

Nathan Vasher

I would offer up Holton Hill as the last corner who made a big early impression. Immense talent who just couldn’t get out of his own way

Reactions: cammac88
Having been an avid Texas fan for over 30 years, and a member of this site for near 20 years, practice reports must be taken with several grains of salt. But we all know this.

Things that happen in practice only partially resemble actual games. Note that Sark and Co. have emphasized “situational” practices — specific situations the team either struggled with last year and in the Spring. That is, working on weaknesses. And we have heard improvement.

The best takeaway from the reports is that there have been no injuries, they heavily emphasizing “situational practices”, and the QB room is not a liability. Again, the defense knows our playbook.

Chill my friends.
I think our practice reports have mostly perfectly reflected the team's true reflection for more than a decade.

It's a myth that it doesn't. Trust me, if we had been wide left on themn, it would get thrown in our face on the regular.

Reactions: hookemtr
Pretty cool note about taking your daughter to the card show. I remember going to card/trade shows with my mom and sister when we were younger. That was when pokemon cards first came out and there was just so much to look for.
Yeah, I was totally blank on the subject as she talked to others, which is odd since Ash Ketchum is our play cousin. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: blazzinkenny
Thank you for the Bill Little memories. He wrote some great stories about various players and I always enjoyed his “Longhorn Legends” at halftime on the radio. We would be watching the Horns on TV but we always turned the radio on at halftime.
The man could absolutely write.

Reactions: horns4vr
I think our practice reports have mostly perfectly reflected the team's true reflection for more than a decade.

It's a myth that it doesn't. Trust me, if we had been wide left on themn, it would get thrown in our face on the regular.

This. Not sure there’s been many summers where the general reports of the entire team have been way off. Apparently the new board counter narrative is “the defense knows what’s coming.”

I am not saying they don’t and haven’t. I am sorry if that is what it appeared I suggested. What I am saying is that the zero sum nature of a practice should take that into account. I would say the same about any preseason report, no matter the source.

Don’t be so defensive. 😘

Reactions: THETexasFan
(Sell) Put some respect on Fred Akers' name. The man had three top 5 finishes, four top 5 finishes, and won 9+ games in five of his first six seasons, despite coaching in an 11-game regular season era.

I'll take it a step further in the other direction. If Sark wins the Big 12 this year and that's all he does, he is still behind Mackovic in the coaching rankings, who won a SWC title and a Big 12 title in a year when the #1 ranked team in the nation played in the Big 12. Sark winning the Big 12 this year is more comparable to Mackovic's 95 SWC title than it is his 96 Big 12 title.

The motley crue video was awesome. They were my heroes as a teenager. I am so on the fence with Ewers. He has shown me very little to pin my playoff hopes on. I hope I am wrong!

Reactions: Hooksem1
I expect Texas to be a pass heavy team and for them to play in 14 games.

That's 285 yards per game.

Put the crack pipe down and learn simple math. ;)
Dare to dream. I will make two commemts:

1. The D’s recent practice/scrimmage performance is less of an indication of the D being awesome and more of an indication of the O being average or having problems. You’ve drawn an aggyish conclusion about Orange vs White performances and therefore overrated both the O and the D.

2. This type of preseason sunshine pumping and hype for a team that hasn’t proven itself on the field is usually wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: Horn19
I’m reminded it took Kirby Smart 6 years to win the Big One after years of great recruiting. He played for the National Championship in year 2, though. He’s won 82% of his games at Georgia (66% in his first two years), his only head coaching job. Sarks sitting on 52% at Texas, and 55.6% in his 106 games as a head coach. I wonder at what point in a career is this just who they are? If 106 games is enough to mean something, then I have the occasional nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach that we’ve all drunk this Orange stuff before. It sure is tasty, though.

On paper Texas looks loaded, but don’t they always kinda seem loaded this time of year? Yet, everything we see in practice is just a zero sum game. Defense is dominating the offense. Does that really mean anything, good, on either side of the ball? The wide receiver room is loaded? Ok. It sure seems to be. Can anyone actually get the ball to them in a timely manner? The defensive backfield has young stars everywhere. On paper, maybe. The offensive line is not really dominating. Does that mean the defensive line is great? Who knows? Kinda doubt it, based on recent evidence. Have we really seen anything from Ewers that tells us he’s the man? I’ll wait, because I want to believe. Ok, everybody’s bigger, stronger, more dialed in, finally bought into the system, lights turned on, etc. Quarterbacks are jacked. Seen the pictures. Starting QB finally has decent haircut, which inspires new level of confidence by all. Defensive tackles can’t be blocked, by offensive line stacked two deep with monster road graders. Freshman cornerbacks are intercepting everything, and all eight great receivers are open by miles, yet stoutly covered by super safeties that hit to kill. Heard it all before, like every year. Still like to hear, though, while anything is possible with this team... Yum… In ‘22 almost every game that was lost could have been a won with one more good play. One more. Pour me some more Cool-aid, please…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT