ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend: It's all about the 2023 season...

@Ketchum I have so many thoughts but I don't have time to put them on this post. I will say this, there is nothing like handing QE the job with no competition. Competition brings out the best in people.

What if Card stays and proves to be the best QB? If QE is given the job as you say, what does that say to the rest of the team? The same can be said for MM. What if he shows up and just kills it and the position is given to QE? What does that say to the rest of the team?

Your 10 and 9 thoughts made me want to throw up.

Reactions: The Sundance Kid
I don't. Texas needs to walk, not run.
So, I assume you think we should wait until the 2025 season to move to the SEC. My concern with that is that it may well affect recruiting, especially vis-a-vis A&M who will rightly tout that they are already in the SEC will we wait in the wings.

Largely agree on every thing except the certainty that Ewers will start. I think there is a good chance Malik beats him out. Not sure its a high enough chance to say it is likely, but there have been so many busts of highly rated QBs and Malik himself is so talented that it would not take much of a slip for Malik to earn the right to start. And I think this open attitude is the one we should take so that we actually have both on campus competing.
This is soooo not gonna happen. Not saying Maalik won’t be better than Ewers at some point, but Ewers is the season opener starter.

@Ketchum do you see a scenario where NIL become so lucrative that a player like Bijan (or Vince back in 2006) would stay 1 more year in college rather than make the jump to the NFL early. I have to imagine NIL will help Texas hang on to later round picks (and I think we've seen that already this year), but curious your thoughts on potential 1st round picks.

Reactions: jah4550
For recruiting purposes, how much of effect will it continue to have if Texas waits until 2025? Seems like aggy is definitely/continuing to use it.
Texas should be fine as long as it starts to show some positive moment on the field. That HAS to happen.

This is the main reason I am concerned about Sark. Being at minimum a conference championship head coach is not something he has done. But neither was Aranda until this year. Kind of feels like mu take on Tua as a Dolphins fan, “why would I believe he will stay healthy in the NFL when he couldn’t in college.”
Leaps of faith are what's required to be a fan, I suppose.

I have a friend who played for Ohio State this year. He said Ewers was quiet (as the youngest player on the team), didn't get a lot of reps, but that he's never seen anyone, ever, who could throw like that. Moving to his left, moving to his right, touch throws, the whole shebang. Every throw on the money.
His skills are legit.

Why is Maalik getting no love? It would not shock me that he shows he's capable of starting in 2022. I don't have a good feeling about Ewers, but if Sark is all in on Ewers, then I hope I'm wrong.

I would add to your Christmas song list, The Eagles version of Please come home for Christmas.
Maalik starting as a redshirt sophomore is what should be the target for him. Two years of added development was always kind of the minimum assumption.

OU still has a good class but A&M was not affected by the OL coach and D Cord leaving? I don't think it has hurt them at all. What made A&M so great?
Ketch is saying that losing your head coach is a bigger deal than an assistant or coordinator.

Thanks for all the work this past week. Merry Christmas to the entire OB staff. Somehow after a 5-7 season, we are optimistic once again. What an incredible week! HookEm!
It's like the Texas weather... just wait 5 minutes and it'll change and then 15 minutes later it'll change again. ;)

Thanks for the kind words. They are like oxygen to us.

Reactions: cooleyo
If Texas goes 8-4 with some freshman Colt like flashes from Ewers, then they’ll have something to show. Kid needs to be the real deal, and he’s gonna have to do it with less than stellar line play, which is my biggest concern of the QE era. Can he perform without perfection around him regularly?
That's the question I have for him that I cannot answer.

Largely agree on every thing except the certainty that Ewers will start. I think there is a good chance Malik beats him out. Not sure its a high enough chance to say it is likely, but there have been so many busts of highly rated QBs and Malik himself is so talented that it would not take much of a slip for Malik to earn the right to start. And I think this open attitude is the one we should take so that we actually have both on campus competing.
I'll be rooting for Maalik, but Ewers will be the starter.

@Ketchum I have so many thoughts but I don't have time to put them on this post. I will say this, there is nothing like handing QE the job with no competition. Competition brings out the best in people.

What if Card stays and proves to be the best QB? If QE is given the job as you say, what does that say to the rest of the team? The same can be said for MM. What if he shows up and just kills it and the position is given to QE? What does that say to the rest of the team?

Your 10 and 9 thoughts made me want to throw up.
a. I don't think Card will ever be able to earn Sark's trust again in practice. He'll have to hope a door opens in a game situation IMO.

b. I'm not even sure how to respond to your wanting to throw up. Hate Christmas music?

So, I assume you think we should wait until the 2025 season to move to the SEC. My concern with that is that it may well affect recruiting, especially vis-a-vis A&M who will rightly tout that they are already in the SEC will we wait in the wings.
Can I admit that I don't have a completely firm view of that? I just think 2023 feels too soon based on 2021.

Reactions: Santiam and jah4550
@Ketchum do you see a scenario where NIL become so lucrative that a player like Bijan (or Vince back in 2006) would stay 1 more year in college rather than make the jump to the NFL early. I have to imagine NIL will help Texas hang on to later round picks (and I think we've seen that already this year), but curious your thoughts on potential 1st round picks.
It's not impossible to think that could happen.

a. I don't think Card will ever be able to earn Sark's trust again in practice. He'll have to hope a door opens in a game situation IMO.

b. I'm not even sure how to respond to your wanting to throw up. Hate Christmas music?
I LOVE Christmas music! Hush your mouth! I meant to say 1st and 2nd thoughts.

I feel like you are saying it’s QE or bust. I think Sark should roll the ball out there and let the best man take the job. Maybe it’s MM.

Last edited:
In the age of NIL, I think yall are writing off the possibility of Bijan returning for his senior season way too early.
Don’t think so, the guy is so valuable. Just heard a podcast wher Blake Brockemeyer passed along his thought that if Bijan went Portal, he could command 10 mil. Crazy as it sounds, it is the world we now live in

That's the question I have for him that I cannot answer.
Right. And I haven’t seen him under duress enough to really know, but when I have, it wasn’t great.

I mean he can try all he wants to. He tried this year.
Ketch, I think you're wrong about Sark and year 3. Unless he absolutely shows a digression, his job is completely safe. They trust what he is doing and they know it's going to take time. All he needs to do is make this machine get better every year for 3 years and then he's gonna have to start to win something or win enough games after year 3. They are going to give Sark the time he needs. That has been discussed a lot.

DE: Alfred Collins (Senior)
DT: Byron Murphy (Junior)
DT: Jaray Bledsoe (Sophomore)
Edge: Justice Finkley (Sophomore)
MLB:Jaylan Ford (Senior)
WLB: David Gbenda (Senior)
Nickel: Terrence Brooks (Sophomore)
CB: Jahdae Barron (Senior)
CB: Kitan Crawford (Senior)
S: Jerrin Thompson (senior)
S: J.D. Coffey (Junior)

What are our thoughts on this line-up? Too young? Needs a few upgrades?
I think there are question marks, youth issues and talent issues, at about 7-8 of the defensive positions. Which upperclassmen out of the bunch above are NFL draft picks, much less first or second day?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT