ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (It's not just that the D gave up 50... )

Need to see more Jones, Elliott (both of them), Duvernay, Roach, Hager and less of Haines, Hill, K Boyd, Bonney.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrHorn98
It's a scheme problem. We have our most athletic defender, who could and should be a monster blitzing off the edge, playing in the middle (MLB) where he is getting eaten up by OL
I have never ever understood why Malik is playing inside. We are wasting his talent! Dude should be rushing the passer from the OLB position like Clay Matthews. Don't get it.

The defense absolutely looked confused the entire nigh, especially the secondary. We got no pressure on the QB with our base defense. The only time we did was on our blitzes. Many of those, he torched us with a great throw. I could probably throw for 400 yards if you gave me that kind of time.

BAD DEFENSE + TURNOVERS = ROAD LOSS 99% of the time.

if Coach Strong is not involved with the offense and has not been involved with defense.... what exactly is he doing so far? I like the man and respect his ethics but has he not been watching this team for 3 years and realize where improvements are needed? People, including me, criticised Mack for being a CEO hands off coach. It is becoming fairly obvious we have the same situation again, but with a better evaluation of talent as a recuiter. Texas head coaching job should be a gravy train with biscuit wheels... but folks tend to fall asleep at the wheel...

Reactions: bozans
I think we've exhausted the superlatives regarding the football vomit that was our defense yesterday at Cal.

They better get it behind them and get ready for another 90 play offense in two weeks.

Reactions: bozans
Re #10
I wanted to tell the chick explaining so sincerely on ESPN the other day why pennstate should honor joe pa that she needed to stop explaining it to the journalist and ESPN audience and try telling it to the men who were once those boys and she how well she could explain that.

But then I remembered that all those people will never believe joe pa ever knew, no matter what the evidence says. They will never believe another one of their own, the red head asst coach, told joe pa to his face what he witnessed even. So sad. And unfortunately repeatable.

One of the first things Charlie Strong needs to do when taking over the defense is get his best player going.

Are you hearing that Strong really is going to take over the D coordinator responsibilities or is this just an assumption?

First

1738ic.gif
My God. It's so beautiful.

I have never ever understood why Malik is playing inside. We are wasting his talent! Dude should be rushing the passer from the OLB position like Clay Matthews. Don't get it.

I'm not getting all the "let Malik rush from the edge"...he's blitzed from the edge several times with very mixed results.

Hager was better off the edge than Malik was Saturday, and they both got those opportunities.

Love Malik, but a fierce rusher from the edge (or from inside blitz) has not proven to be his strength thus far, and he's had opportunities.

He still played better than the pitiful secondary behind him. Watching them was just brutal.

Reactions: gfrank50
People, including me, criticised Mack for being a CEO hands off coach. It is becoming fairly obvious we have the same situation again, but with a better evaluation of talent as a recuiter.

Mack at one time had more players in the league than any other team. Perhaps Charlie can identify the three star guy that is really a 4 star when there's a lot of pressure to do stuff like that (like when you're a coach at Louisville). But he really hasn't found any diamonds in the rough at Texas and all the 4 star defensive guys on his current defense are getting owned on screens and in open space tackling.

Brock was not bad at all. Cowgirl hating coming out in you ketch. U must not realize jus how good KC's defense is. He should have had three tds bs call on hopkins would be catch and a will fuller clean catch and he walks in the end zone.

Jefferson had been a tad overrated from the word go. He's a good player, but go compare his freshman season to Derrick Johnson to see the difference between good and great.

Like the young man a great deal, but he is no monster on the field and never has been at Texas. Hope Malik's year, and the entire defense around him, get much better very soon.

Our defense is supposed to be a bend, but don't break concept that forces turnovers every now and then. So far this year and for most of last year we can not force turnovers or even get the big timely sack. That is a recipe for disaster against spread offenses. You also have to throw in the unacceptable blown coverages that continue to happen which is a killer in this league as well.

Reactions: _PIIHB_
- I'm over the Pac 16. Anybody who had to travel all day back from Cali after three hours of sleep agrees.

- Today's press conference will be interesting.

- Louisville's defense made FSU look like a JV team. Can't recall ever seeing FSU get beat down like that - ever!

- Canelo is trying to be the modern day Mayweather by avoiding Triple G. Floyd had cross over appeal and people cared about him outside of boxing (crazy family, money, women, etc.). Nobody cares about Canelo outside of watching him in real fights.

- I see your reverse jinx via Twitter worked in fantasy football this week ;)

Reactions: CutaneousHorn
I would place the Chad Hanson bobble on our staff. It happened on our sideline right in front of the coaches. Can they not challenge? The Cal coach gamed the refs and Charlie just sits there and does not challenge. It's on him.
That's fair, but there's a guy whose only job is to look at every play and stop the game when a play needs to a second look.

I'm a Cowboys fan myself and excited about Dak, but I believe the offense hasn't really opened itself up and let him take shots down the field. It's mostly been short or intermediate throws. This has resulted in some great stats, however down the stretch when this horrible defense has put him in a hole he'll have to operate the offense to its fullest.

As with the youth on the Texas football squad I'm going to be cautiously optimistic.
Dak is doing just as much or more as any rookie quarterback in his second start. The NFL is hard and he's not overwhelmed by it at all.

Reactions: Jack87
Jefferson had been a tad overrated from the word go. He's a good player, but go compare his freshman season to Derrick Johnson to see the difference between good and great.
His stats were very similar to DJ's in a lot of ways as a freshman. Not so much to the start of his sophomore season.

if Coach Strong is not involved with the offense and has not been involved with defense.... what exactly is he doing so far? I like the man and respect his ethics but has he not been watching this team for 3 years and realize where improvements are needed? People, including me, criticised Mack for being a CEO hands off coach. It is becoming fairly obvious we have the same situation again, but with a better evaluation of talent as a recuiter. Texas head coaching job should be a gravy train with biscuit wheels... but folks tend to fall asleep at the wheel...
He would tell you that he's a CEO and sits in with all phases of the team and team meetings.

ADVERTISEMENT