ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (It's Swoopes.)

Honestly the rushing thing is a crazy stat

4-2 when Swoopes is under 10 yards rushing
2-5 when he's over.

Likely he's panicking and not looking downfield for anything when he takes off
It's always the worst-case option, huh?

Simply put -- Swoopes does not possess the alpha instinct to take on the defense and put the game on his shoulders.
You might be right, but how on earth would you ever KNOW based on the dynamics in play?

You might be right, but how on earth would you ever KNOW based on the dynamics in play?
Easy...if he had that instinct, he would have willed his offense down the field a la Vince Young, Colt McCoy, Jamis Winston, Case McCoy (A&M game), James Brown among many others....

Brdigewater is to Watson as Vince Young was to Greg Davis..
Fans are generally stupid when it comes to offensive coordinators. Texas fans have not like an OC since the early 70's. So, I generally do not trust their judgement on these sorts of things. I trust the coach who's ass is on the line.

Much more fun to think about old black and white TV shows......I vote for Andy Griffith followed by Alfred Hitchcock and the Outer Limts.
If you liked Outer Limits, you were probably also a fan on Twilight Zone. Remember Rod Serling?

This is my main critique @Ketchum - and I'd like to hear your take on this thought.

Both last year and this year they SHOULD ABSOLUTELY be splitting time with the first team offense with the QB's

Last season Swoopes was not getting enough first team snaps, no matter how he was looking because there was always a good chance that Ash wasn't going to be able to survive the season

This season Heard needs to be getting somewhere near half the first team snaps, because we have seen some extreme issues in live game action and its at least a possibility that Swoopes will continue to look like crap against any defense that has a pulse.

This is really poor decision making by the coaching staff regardless of the gap between the QB's before both of the last two seasons.

Reactions: lightthetower0510
Name the magical QB's that were out there from the Juco ranks or Grad Transfers? I will hang-up and listen.
First of all, Sparky, I never used the word "magical" in my post. If you don't like or agree with my posts, feel free to use that ignore button.

Those names, you speak of, have been on this and every other Longhorn fan board since the end of last season. Since you like to be clever, look them up yourself. Start with FSU and work your way north to the Big Ten and OSU and then west to Pac 12.

If you're too lazy, I'll give you just a few.

Vermon Adams-Oregon
Everett Golson-Notre Dame
Jake Driskel-Florida
Jake Rudock-Iowa
Josh Grady-Vandy

Now notice, I didn't say CS and his staff were wrong in not taking these players. Again, I'm sure they had their reasons. What I did say is that the constant retort that Swoopes was and is the only choice is specious and not true.

Okay?

Hook'em!

I think this is excellent analysis. With that perceived limitation (which I think is pretty accurate) defenses load the box and we become 1 dimensional and comparatively easy to defend.
I specifically recall Colt McCoy getting almost the same exact analysis...

Heard v Swoopes debate people are focusing arm strength and foot speed. I think decision making will decide this QB race. Swoopes had trouble with this last year. If Heard's brain works as fast as his feet, he will take over at some point this year. Major was not real fast or possess great arm strength but new where the ball need to go.

So what you're saying is practice performance is a clear indicator of game day performance?
Not always, but what else does a coach have to go by? What is a better way for a coach to determine who plays and who sits?

Swoopes has experience. He was a Soph last year, but experience wise a Freshman.
Reminder: Colt struggled his Soph. season and all most won the Heisman his Junior and Senior years. Just say'n........

"Maybe because Heard doesn't wow you in practice." - James Brown (1994-1997)

Whatever...Brown played well enough in practice for the coaches to trust him in a game. Is this really that hard to understand? Heard is going to get his shot and he can show that he is a magic gamer at that time.

Reactions: boernefan
No.10 - And finally....

My kids turn 17 months this week and they are not only walking up a storm, starting to talk and slam their little fingers in doorways/drawers, but they graduate classrooms in school this month.

The terrible 2s are around the corner.

Buckle up.

Ketch, your job now as a parent is to keep your children from hurting or killing themselves - that is a role you will play until they are in their mid teens.

After their mid teens, your job is to not hurt or kill them.

… With all of the drops by the receivers in the first three practices of the season, maybe it’s time for everyone else on the team do push-ups when a receiver drops the ball, Full Metal Jacket-style. If self-punishment isn’t enough, maybe the best way to stop these drops is to get the attention of everyone else on the field because if I had a nickel for every time I heard “dropped pass” this weekend, I’d at least have a healthy start on buying a cup of coffee on Monday.

Could only imagine what would've happened if Quandre had been forced to do this last year! Love the idea for this year though.

what is his profile, exactly in your mind?

Why not just play Armanti Foreman at quarterback?

After re-watching the spring game, Heard looked like a capable passer. He certainly has room to improve, but the ability is there.

Not a bad idea on Foreman... In all seriousness, how do you think we'd do running Georgia Tech's triple option?

I'm not sure the QB competition has even really started yet. How would you know who you want when you haven't even put the pads on yet and watched what Heard can do with the zone read? And, thinking Heard can only make throws from 10 yards and in is a joke. If we have decent play from Heard throwing short to intermediate routes coupled with designed runs along with the zone read, I'm taking that over anything Swoopes brings to the table. I haven't forgotten the look on Strong's face after the TCU and Arkansas games.
I didn't say he can't throw the ball more than 10 yards, I said he's currently not comfortable enough yet to be able to push the ball down the effectively and it's something that needs to improve.

I think I enjoyed the Simms/Applewhite debate more than the Swoopes/Heard debate. The former were both choices with pluses. I don't see many pluses yet with the latter.
That's more than fair.

Ketch I really hoping you are not going to try and convince me that Swoops is a good runner? You can't really believe that, right? Some guys are slow but quick, some are fast but very quick, then some are slow and not quick. Unfortunately Swoops is slow and not quick. He can throw the ball 100 yards though...
Except you just ignored actual evidence that proves that he does offer some solid production as a runner, even if slow and quick.

His rushing production and YPC are pretty much in line with what Colt McCoy did at Texas. Twice Colt averaged less than 3.0 yards per carry in a season, both as a freshman and as a senior.

Who beat OU. Case or Tyrone ? That's the bottom line. I will take wins over stats any day of the week.
Right.

So, you'll openly take the guy that isn't as good and played poorer. Gotcha.

he ended the year with 13 TDs, a terrible number for a Big XII QB. I mean I guess we can talk up the fact that he had less than 13 picks if we just need something to talk about
Or we could talk about the incredibly positive TD/INT ratio of a first-year starter who shouldn't have been on the field at all at that stage of his development.

That's something to talk about, right/=?

But Ketch they ran a very vanilla offense for him and he wasn't asked to make a ton of plays with his arm to win games. I felt like the thing that made his TO's so bad is that they were VERY costly turnovers that were game changers. The 2 fumbles at the one yard line (ou game and the Baylor game) were examples... I'm just not sure a bright spot of Swoops was his lack of TO's.
Except it was for the majority of the season, so you're not being sure that's a positive is either your personal bias' or the inability to process factual information.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT