ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Junior Day is a single step, not the journey)

Is that really a western in a true sense?

That's a little like calling Top Secret a spy movie.
I LOVE Top Secret!

People always mention Airplane, Naked Gun, Hot Shots but always neglect Top Secret!

Me too. I warched the first couple of fights, but didn't make it to the co-main.
Yeah, and then the storm goes and wakes me up at midnight. Thanks a lot Morgan Freeman.

While not apples to apples, how does it compare to Moonlight? I have yet to see Lion.
Really hard to compare.

Lion rocked me in a way that Moonlight didn't, even if it's haunting in its own right. Lion delivers in the end in a way Moonlight doesn't IMO.

Reactions: I Hear Voices
Fine movies. Just didn't crack the top 10.
Speaking of fine movies, one of my favorite is "The Wild Bunch" Pepinpaw's blood and guts movie. The scene where Holden, et. al.
walk to face the Mexican army after Mexicans killed their friend, along with the playing of the Mexican music, is one of the most dramatic
scenes i have seen in a western.

Understand ! One groundbreaking western no one has mentioned is The Wild Bunch . One of the truly greats .Another great is the original The Magnificent Seven .
I totally agreed, see my earlier comment on The Wild Bunch and, regarding, The Magnificent Seven, how can you overlook one of the
great cult films.

Reactions: popel
While I'm firmly in the camp that says, "Contend for a conference championship every year and everything else will fall into place" I'm a little worried about TCU and Baylor coming back to the level Texas is at because of the overall level of the conference if they both get weak again. There's a real fear to being the king of a bottom dweller conference, especially when you consider the sudden, meteoric rise of the ACC. I'd much rather they stay in the national spotlight and we just get better.
Meteoric rise of the ACC? Clemson, FSU , then who?

Umm where is outlaw josey wales? Was this the next best westerns top ten after OJW?

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulieD
Look it up Ketchum..Ringo was found under a tree shot in the head.. An apparent suicide. Not killed by Doc Holliday like the authentic Wyatt Earp shows.
Neither move is authentic about Ringo

In this case authentic does make it good.
I think that WE was more of a sweeping bio - included many interesting parts of Earps life not seen before.
My favorite scene from both movies - Doc Holliday/Val Kilmer twirling the silver cup in response to Ringo's gun performance.

1. Lonesome Dove
2. The Searchers
3. Unforgiven
4. The Good, Bad and The Ugly
5. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
6. High Noon
7. Red River
8. Wyatt Earp
9. Shane
10. Stagecoach

Any list of great westerns must include "Once Upon a Time in the West"... most likely at number one.

In other words, you didn't leave a film off the list... you brought too many with you.

giphy.gif

Teen Wolf cleaned up at the 1986 Oscars. Look it up.

Ok, looked it up. No idea where you dug up that info, but I don't even see TW mentioned as a nominee or winner in the 86 oscars. Back to the Future won 4 that year but Out of Africa and the Color Purple were the 2 movies that "cleaned up" winning 11 awards each. The next year Platoon and Aliens cleaned up ... all movies that should be mentioned on an all time list before TW. Bottom line, I agree with probably 80% of your movie list. I might not include some of the others, but I can see how they make it on someone's list. However, TW doesn't belong in the top 100 unless you're limiting a list to 80s fantasy comedies. Ok, moving on..

Look it up Ketchum..Ringo was found under a tree shot in the head.. An apparent suicide. Not killed by Doc Holliday like the authentic Wyatt Earp shows.
Neither move is authentic about Ringo
Ok.

By authentic, I'm not suggesting that the movie doesn't take some liberties.

Any list of great westerns must include "Once Upon a Time in the West"... most likely at number one.

In other words, you didn't leave a film off the list... you brought too many with you.

giphy.gif
fair enough

Ok, looked it up. No idea where you dug up that info, but I don't even see TW mentioned as a nominee or winner in the 86 oscars. Back to the Future won 4 that year but Out of Africa and the Color Purple were the 2 movies that "cleaned up" winning 11 awards each. The next year Platoon and Aliens cleaned up ... all movies that should be mentioned on an all time list before TW. Bottom line, I agree with probably 80% of your movie list. I might not include some of the others, but I can see how they make it on someone's list. However, TW doesn't belong in the top 100 unless you're limiting a list to 80s fantasy comedies. Ok, moving on..
I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

In a few days, the official courtship process between the Tom Herman era of Texas football and the 2018 recruiting class begins.

While Herman and his staff of eager-recruiting beavers have spent the better part of the last two months establishing some early positioning for a 12-month battle royale against the army of schools that currently inhabit the Lone Star State in recruiting, this is the first chance for this staff to entertain the best of the best on its home turf.

It’s a first date of sorts.

If Herman is lucky, maybe he’s the one that will receive a kiss or two.

The important thing is that a program that was short on elite-level talent visiting the school a month ago leading up to Signing Day won’t have that issue this upcoming weekend, as a who’s who of the very elite in Texas will be on hand.

It might sound simple, but if you’re Herman and his assistants, the number one thing you want with each kid is the desire from each of them to come back because getting these kids to show up once is the easy part. It’s getting them to show up six times between now and next February that is the trickier part.

SIX TIMES!?!

Yup, six times.

Let’s take the roll call. There’s the Junior Day. Then a spring practice and/or the Spring Game. Eventually, the summer will roll around and Herman and his staff will put together camps and a big recruiting-themed event similar to the Under The Lights deal that Charlie Strong created. Of course, you have to get them on campus for at least one game, right? Finally, comes the official visit in December or January. Oh, if anyone wants to stop by the Texas Relays or the state track meet … well … yeah … that counts, too.

While Mack Brown once taught people to view a Junior Day as a finish line, the truth is that it will serve as a starter’s block in the recruitments for most of the big-timers that show up in the coming days.

If you’re wondering what a road map to a top-5-10 class looks like, all you have to do is keep a roll call of who checks off boxes for as many of those events as possible. When tracking the recruitment of a kid like Houston Lamar defensive back Anthony Cook, getting him back on campus before the end of spring football is critical. You want Cook engaged with your program, feeling as if your doors are the most welcoming of them all.

The days of recruits committing before the offer comes out of the head coach’s mouth are over.

This week isn’t the climb, it’s just the first step.

Ok, you got me. I'm Charlie Brown, you're Lucy and TW is the football. Now that I finally realize you're f'ing with me, I'll stop wasting time on this. I'll admit though, I did look up every single one to confirm they were all awards for Out of Africa that year. I would feel better if you would simply admit your infatuation with "Boof" has clouded your judgment and TW shouldn't even be thought of in the GOAT conversation.

I've not seen Teen Wolf, so I can excuse myself from this debate, though I'm a huge Back to the Future fan and usually like most of what Michael J. Fox is in.

giphy.gif
Charles Bronson as Harmonica in Once Upon a Time in the West is my favorite film and performance of his.

images

The only villain Henry Fonda ever played I believe.

Reactions: Tyber
Ok, you got me. I'm Charlie Brown, you're Lucy and TW is the football. Now that I finally realize you're f'ing with me, I'll stop wasting time on this. I'll admit though, I did look up every single one to confirm they were all awards for Out of Africa that year. I would feel better if you would simply admit your infatuation with "Boof" has clouded your judgment and TW shouldn't even be thought of in the GOAT conversation.
It was a joke in the first place.

Reactions: PaulieD
I've not seen Teen Wolf, so I can excuse myself from this debate, though I'm a huge Back to the Future fan and usually like most of what Michael J. Fox is in.
You've never seen Teen Wolf?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT