ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Junior Day is a single step, not the journey)

He's a straight line runner with limited physical skill that will play well against the little sisters of the poor and struggle against teams with above-average skill/talent.

He's made to terrorize the Texas Tech's of the world. On a field against better athletes like Notre Dame, he was just a guy.

But, hey, as long as there are a few Techs and UTEPs on the schedule....

I think there's little doubt that Warren was limited by the hamstring injury against Notre Dame.

Limited physical skill? OK.

But if he can stay healthy this year, just like Foreman had to prove he could in 2016, then I'm sure that whatever it is he's got, or doesn't have, will get put on full display.

It can be both, but Texas purging its roster to the extent that 3/7 of the last seven recruiting classes were forced to transfer out for a variety of reasons is not a good thing.

But is that necessarily the case? Does Bama have the same degree of attrition on an ongoing basis and win championships?

And even if the correlation you propose is there, does that prove causation? It's an important difference.

@Ketchum
Of the guys you list above that transferred or where dismissed etc. Let's say for argument sake that they where still around and living up to their billing, what's your top three or five that would be impactful on last years/ this years team had they still been around? Would any of them be sure fire starters or just jags?

But is that necessarily the case? Does Bama have the same degree of attrition on an ongoing basis and win championships?

And even if the correlation you propose is there, does that prove causation? It's an important difference.

Hell, Bama will have more seniors drafted than we had on our roster!

It is an interesting comparison because everybody knows that Saban is a total dick and you would think that he would run off a ton of 3 - 4 star talent when he treats them like an "average joe" and they start out at number 4 - 5 on the depth chart.

I think it must have something to do with playing for the National Championship virtually every year. Probably easier to get kids to suck it up and wait their turn when you are never losing games and the guys playing in front of them are kicking ass, than sitting on the bench for a 5 - 7 team with some guys on the field obviously struggling.

I believe ' My Darling Clementine " far exceeds Tombstone or Wyatt Earp . Gunfight at O.K. Corral tops those two as well . You've also missed some superior silent westerns such as The Iron Horse and Wild Horse Mesa and The Pony Express .

Reactions: UT Bondman
Nice job, as always.

Didn't recognize Patel as the guy on Slumdog Millionaire until wife pointed it out The guy knows how to choose roles. Much better movie than La La Land, IMO. Only movie not seen is Moonlight, but will happen. I'd put La La Land third behind Lion and Manchester. Looks great unless you've seen the movies of the earlier age it honors -- then it drops to good.

Congrats on the $10K. Glad to have been a contributor, but $25K is a lofty goal.

Attrition happens. Raulerson was a shame because he was such a good kid and hard worker; would have nice if only to give Zach a chance to redshirt. Recruiting is like drafting -- as much luck as science.

Women's game is huge, but Baylor played lousy and Texas played over their heads for 3/4. But we'll be there tonight to see if they can pull out a huge win. If I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet against Mulkey -- she'll have her team ready. Should be a great game.

Baseball -- a split against #25 is no small deal. But until they can demonstrate the ability to string hits and score runs, this may be a frustrating year. Morgan Cooper -- please stay healthy. And need those weekday game wins.

Hook 'em!!!

1. Lonesome Dove
2. The Searchers
3. Unforgiven
4. The Good, Bad and The Ugly
5. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
6. High Noon
7. Red River
8. Wyatt Earp
9. Shane
10. Stagecoach

Excellent list though I put The Searchers at the top of any list I make. (Even though I've only seen it 15 times). I'm not sure which I would bump to include it, but IMO Sam Peckinpah's Ride the High Country belongs there somewhere. And maybe The Westerner, which has two of the great performances in a Western of all time by Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan.

I think there's little doubt that Warren was limited by the hamstring injury against Notre Dame.

Limited physical skill? OK.

But if he can stay healthy this year, just like Foreman had to prove he could in 2016, then I'm sure that whatever it is he's got, or doesn't have, will get put on full display.
the health part is the other elephant in the room. I'm not telling you not to buy Warren stock, I'm just saying be careful.

Reactions: slothrop

No, Bama does not. I haven't done the Bama data over as long of a stretch, but I have looked at it this decade and its attrition was close to half as less. I have only looked at a few schools, but the Texas numbers were higher.

Reactions: Dualthreat
Ketch is NOT our Huckleberry!
I'm not suggesting I don't like Tombstone because I do, but I'm not someone that found Wyatt Warp boring.

It's a longer, fuller story with better acting, with all due respect to Val Kilmer, who was without question the single biggest star of the two movies.

@Ketchum
Of the guys you list above that transferred or where dismissed etc. Let's say for argument sake that they where still around and living up to their billing, what's your top three or five that would be impactful on last years/ this years team had they still been around? Would any of them be sure fire starters or just jags?
Damn good question.

Raulerson, James, D. Davis, K. Sanders and Catalon

Hell, Bama will have more seniors drafted than we had on our roster!

It is an interesting comparison because everybody knows that Saban is a total dick and you would think that he would run off a ton of 3 - 4 star talent when he treats them like an "average joe" and they start out at number 4 - 5 on the depth chart.

I think it must have something to do with playing for the National Championship virtually every year. Probably easier to get kids to suck it up and wait their turn when you are never losing games and the guys playing in front of them are kicking ass, than sitting on the bench for a 5 - 7 team with some guys on the field obviously struggling.
Every kid in that program believes they will play in the NFL. Even the scrubs. What better way to get there than through that program. Even backups can be drafted.

I believe ' My Darling Clementine " far exceeds Tombstone or Wyatt Earp . Gunfight at O.K. Corral tops those two as well . You've also missed some superior silent westerns such as The Iron Horse and Wild Horse Mesa and The Pony Express .
I never said this was THE list. It's MY list. I would never claim to be an expert on the genre, but I've seen a number of the greats.

Nice job, as always.

Didn't recognize Patel as the guy on Slumdog Millionaire until wife pointed it out The guy knows how to choose roles. Much better movie than La La Land, IMO. Only movie not seen is Moonlight, but will happen. I'd put La La Land third behind Lion and Manchester. Looks great unless you've seen the movies of the earlier age it honors -- then it drops to good.

Congrats on the $10K. Glad to have been a contributor, but $25K is a lofty goal.

Attrition happens. Raulerson was a shame because he was such a good kid and hard worker; would have nice if only to give Zach a chance to redshirt. Recruiting is like drafting -- as much luck as science.

Women's game is huge, but Baylor played lousy and Texas played over their heads for 3/4. But we'll be there tonight to see if they can pull out a huge win. If I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet against Mulkey -- she'll have her team ready. Should be a great game.

Baseball -- a split against #25 is no small deal. But until they can demonstrate the ability to string hits and score runs, this may be a frustrating year. Morgan Cooper -- please stay healthy. And need those weekday game wins.

Hook 'em!!!
A few thoughts.

1. Patel is emerging as one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood. I thought Lion was a great opportunity for him to feel more American/English, which will hopefully allow him a wider range of roles.

2. Raulerson came down to terrible communication and direction at the top of the program. That transfer did not need to happen, but Strong flat out mishandled that situation. He should be here right now and he should be one of the few, natural upper-class leaders. People didn't want to admit that Strong was a failure when that happened, so they threw stones at Raulerson, who was in a bad player/coach relationship with Joe Wickline (who treated everyone like crap) and received mix signals from his coach when he took a chance to walk into his office and be honest).

The team did not get better because that happened.

3. Let's aim high. I have a possible plan to get us to 25k.

4. I thought Texas was just better than Baylor two Mondays ago. We'll find out soon enough.

5. agree on baseball thoughts.

I'll take the scenes MJF had with the lovely, but unfortunately just passed, Margaret Whitton in The Secret of My Success over that any day...
Should have made the list as well. Omission on my part.

After reading 5 pages, I am just amazed that the best western of them all hasn't
1. Lonesome Dove
2. The Searchers
3. Unforgiven
4. The Good, Bad and The Ugly
5. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
6. High Noon
7. Red River
8. Wyatt Earp
9. Shane
10. Stagecoach

Excellent list though I put The Searchers at the top of any list I make. (Even though I've only seen it 15 times). I'm not sure which I would bump to include it, but IMO Sam Peckinpah's Ride the High Country belongs there somewhere. And maybe The Westerner, which has two of the great performances in a Western of all time by Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan.
After reading through 5 pages, I am amazed that one of the best westerns ever made hasn't been mentioned. The Wild Bunch was awesome!!

Reactions: LARKIN1 and wytxny
Mercy, has there ever been a worse hire than Wikline? I'm not debating his coaching skills or how it relates to the Raulerson situation, but the buy out issue at Okla St to his people skills never matched at Texas. I remember doing back flips when he was hired.

Best Supporting Actor

Will Win … Mahershala Ali (Moonlight)

I agree. The whole movie was outstanding. I could watch it again tonight. Who could have written that story? Surely they had to live it. And the dialogue was exceptional in my opinion for American made films. The practice it must have taken to get it right. If there was an award for dialogue coach, this film would win hands down.

Mercy, has there ever been a worse hire than Wikline? I'm not debating his coaching skills or how it relates to the Raulerson situation, but the buy out issue at Okla St to his people skills never matched at Texas. I remember doing back flips when he was hired.
Most stubborn coach I've ever seen in Austin.

Reactions: drunk randoke
I agree. The whole movie was outstanding. I could watch it again tonight. Who could have written that story? Surely they had to live it. And the dialogue was exceptional in my opinion for American made films. The practice it must have taken to get it right. If there was an award for dialogue coach, this film would win hands down.
written by a straight dude, I believe.

I don't even got through the Top 3 Westerns on my list without The Outlaw Josey Wales and Tombstone (which, by the way, I find vastly superior to Wyatt Earp).

I never said this was THE list. It's MY list. I would never claim to be an expert on the genre, but I've seen a number of the greats.
Understand ! One groundbreaking western no one has mentioned is The Wild Bunch . One of the truly greats .Another great is the original The Magnificent Seven .

Reactions: track
After reading 5 pages, I am just amazed that the best western of them all hasn't

After reading through 5 pages, I am amazed that one of the best westerns ever made hasn't been mentioned. The Wild Bunch was awesome!!
Not the best IMO, but definitely Top 10. But there are so many that could be Top 10.

It's worth Top 10, but so are a lot of others, like The Ox-Bow Incident, Bad Day at Black Rock, and if you want to add a twist, Blazing Saddles and Cat Ballou.

Thanks for taking my question @Ketchum I think the state is ripe for the takeover this season and we have the horses to do it. Just. Get. It. Done
While I'm firmly in the camp that says, "Contend for a conference championship every year and everything else will fall into place" I'm a little worried about TCU and Baylor coming back to the level Texas is at because of the overall level of the conference if they both get weak again. There's a real fear to being the king of a bottom dweller conference, especially when you consider the sudden, meteoric rise of the ACC. I'd much rather they stay in the national spotlight and we just get better.

Also, this isn’t any order, but I would rank my all-time top 10 movie list like this: Casablanca, The Godfather I and II, The Sound of Music, The Empire Strikes Back, Jaws, It’s a Wonderful Life, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Silence of the Lambs and Pulp Fiction.

Honorable mention: Gladiator, Good Will Hunting, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Braveheart, A Clockwork Orange, An American in Paris, Saving Private Ryan, Ben-Hur, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Shawshank Redemption, Teen Wolf, Rocky IV, Pride and Prejudice (BBC) and Love Actually.
I can't believe we have so many movies in the top 25 in common. My only real contentions would be, "How can Shawshank not be in the top 10" and "I think The Hateful 8 doesn't get the credit it's due because it's too recent."

Kudos to you for Casablanca at number 1, I've been preaching this for years.

Understand ! One groundbreaking western no one has mentioned is The Wild Bunch . One of the truly greats .Another great is the original The Magnificent Seven .
Fans of both. Easily could have made the list.

ADVERTISEMENT