ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (My annual Groundhog Day column...)

Texas fans need to stop bringing up Alabama, as if that's a galaxy that Texas can see within 100,000,000 mile.

I like this Texas QB v. Alabama debate ...

Question: Does Alabama win the 2017 Natty with Sam Ehlinger at QB? My guess is a strong yes ... but would like to hear other opinions.

I also wonder if the reason Texas needs a huge upgrade in QB play to start winning again to make up for the fact/concept that this is an easier fix than fixing everything else that allows a team to win with more middle of the road QB play???

I like this Texas QB v. Alabama debate ...

Question: Does Alabama win the 2017 Natty with Sam Ehlinger at QB? My guess is a strong yes ... but would like to hear other opinions.
wut-gif-2.gif

So, Texas is a step away from dominating?
I don't know if it's a step or a jump but they will get there soon, in my opinion. Meanwhile, they are 16-4 and we will have to see how they fare in the tourneys. Nonetheless, they are a very good team, fun to watch, and have a shot (no pun intended) in every game, despite the Baylor debacle and the TCU loss.

I don't know if it's a step or a jump but they will get there soon, in my opinion. Meanwhile, they are 16-4 and we will have to see how they fare in the tourneys. Nonetheless, they are a very good team, fun to watch, and have a shot (no pun intended) in every game, despite the Baylor debacle and the TCU loss.
I agree with everything you said. I just don't know that I view the team with its current roster as dynamic.

The program needs a female version of TJ Ford.

Enjoyed it brother. On the women, I don’t think Aston will be on a hot seat anytime soon and the answer would have been never under the previous regime. However, it will be interesting to see CDC’s standards. Mulkey and her team made a statement. We will see if Aston can respond. That was largely a trash game. Not sure you even watch it again as a team. It looked like a globetrotters game. Yikes. Aston has recruited really well, but so has Baylor soooooo....

Wait, you are asserting The Post is better than 3 Billboards? Hell, The Post is good but not as good as I,Tonya - much less 3 billboards. Good lord. I mean, I liked it and Streep was almost as good as Frances, but neither she nor the Post is getting the statue this year.

And amen to everything you said about QB.
His wife has his balls in her purse, she pulls them out so he can see them every now and then.
Jeesh.
The Post

Good stuff Ketch. My thoughts on the QB situation is that Sam was a true freshman and he was facing some pretty damn good teams at the D1 level. Most people don't realize the jump from high school to D1 football is a tremendous undertaking. I think he did a reasonable job considering he didn't have a lot of help from the play calling nor the OL. Let's give him a little more room and see what happens this year with the experience under his belt and a lot more help.

Enjoyed it brother. On the women, I don’t think Aston will be on a hot seat anytime soon and the answer would have been never under the previous regime. However, it will be interesting to see CDC’s standards. Mulkey and her team made a statement. We will see if Aston can respond. That was largely a trash game. Not sure you even watch it again as a team. It looked like a globetrotters game. Yikes. Aston has recruited really well, but so has Baylor soooooo....
The end of last season AFTER they beat Baylor is what stands out to me. That should have been the launching point to a new tier and that just hasn't materialized.

Good stuff Ketch. My thoughts on the QB situation is that Sam was a true freshman and he was facing some pretty damn good teams at the D1 level. Most people don't realize the jump from high school to D1 football is a tremendous undertaking. I think he did a reasonable job considering he didn't have a lot of help from the play calling nor the OL. Let's give him a little more room and see what happens this year with the experience under his belt and a lot more help.
100-percent agree.

The end of last season AFTER they beat Baylor is what stands out to me. That should have been the launching point to a new tier and that just hasn't materialized.
At some point, it’s the coaching.

Reactions: thar0902
It can be both. Clearly, the offensive line needs to improve. The quarterback position is the most important position in college athletics.

I think we're mostly on the same page. I also think the QB position is the most important position, but I think the O-Line is the most important position group.

You can do so much more with a really good O-line and a non-plus QB than you can with a phenom QB and no O-Line.

For that reason, I'm not sure we really know what we have yet. But Colt McCoy redshirting, and then playing behind a great line, and then putting the team on his back after he developed and had all the confidence in the world as a RS Sophomore, is not the same situation that Shane or Sam are in.

I think we're mostly on the same page. I also think the QB position is the most important position, but I think the O-Line is the most important position group.

You can do so much more with a really good O-line and a non-plus QB than you can with a phenom QB and no O-Line.

For that reason, I'm not sure we really know what we have yet. But Colt McCoy redshirting, and then playing behind a great line, and then putting the team on his back after he developed and had all the confidence in the world as a RS Sophomore, is not the same situation that Shane or Sam are in.
I would never suggest it's the same situation.

Remember, I'm the guy that screamed caution about the expectations for Buechele all off-season, while being yelled at for doing so.

Maybe instead of Mack Brown of 2002-03, she's the Rick Barnes of 2001-02.

She needs her T.J. Ford.

I think she has her best team next year if the frosh are who I think they are...Warren is capable of being an Atkins type player, Prince is a very solid post and Collier is an absolute monster

Reactions: sparker39
So, if that's the case, it shouldn't take long for you to quote an example. Weekly occurrences and all...

I have all of my weekly columns saved here.

https://texas.forums.rivals.com/forums/ketchs-10-thoughts-from-the-weekend-archive.58/
Ketch, this place is your job. It’s not mine. How about this, when I see if again I will point it out. Unlike you after I check in to see what’s going on for about 15-20 min a week. One thing is for sure, you need to grow some thicker skin.

Ketch, this place is your job. It’s not mine. How about this, when I see if again I will point it out. Unlike you after I check in to see what’s going on for about 15-20 min a week. One thing is for sure, you need to grow some thicker skin.
Not one single thing sticks out in your memory? I guess I need thicker skin like you need a better working memory, no?;)

Not one single thing sticks out in your memory? I guess I need thicker skin like you need a better working memory, no?;)
Lack of memory is tied to effort and interest factor for me. But since you’ve pushed, and I like your moxey, saying the recruiting battle between Texas and A&M has begun is just a tad premature don’t you think? Maybe a tad exxagerered at this point. You’re talking about a player that was high on Texas and just saw us take nearly the entire top ten, and seeing his chances of starting not looking high go to another instate School. Let’s not forget he’s a 2019. A lot of time between now and then. There’s nothing wrong with Hyperbole that’s what you do. It’s you’re calling card.

Lack of memory is tied to effort and interest factor for me. But since you’ve pushed, and I like your moxey, saying the recruiting battle between Texas and A&M has begun is just a tad premature don’t you think? Maybe a tad exxagerered at this point. You’re talking about a player that was high on Texas and just saw us take nearly the entire top ten, and seeing his chances of starting not looking high go to another instate School. Let’s not forget he’s a 2019. A lot of time between now and then. There’s nothing wrong with Hyperbole that’s what you do. It’s you’re calling card.
good grief.

Reactions: Dr. Leo Marvin
Many thanks for listing the movies I haven't seen yet, but need to.

It appears that your unquestionable talent at being a football recruiting analyst and website owner are being pushed by movie critic abilities that accelerate every year.

Not really exaggerated, IMO. They just landed the equivalent of this classes Caden sterns or Bj foster. Them grabbing a top kid we wanted is the START. How else can it start unless both schools have landed elite players? while it never began in 2018, 2019 has started but its not fully heated up or even close to finishing. but they grabbed a phenomenal prospect, no doubt.

Let's not sit here and pretend that's the only top 10 or top 25 prospect they'll land. they're likely going to get a few more for sure. Maybe then this battle of semantics you're waging will have merit. its a battle, its begun and I like our chances.

Not really exaggerated, IMO. They just landed the equivalent of this classes Caden sterns or Bj foster. Them grabbing a top kid we wanted is the START. How else can it start unless both schools have landed elite players? while it never began in 2018, 2019 has started but its not fully heated up or even close to finishing. but they grabbed a phenomenal prospect, no doubt.

Let's not sit here and pretend that's the only top 10 or top 25 prospect they'll land. they're likely going to get a few more for sure. Maybe then this battle of semantics you're waging will have merit. its a battle, its begun and I like our chances.
I don’t doubt it, it just seems a little premature with how often these kids commit and decommit. We are not even in that recruiting cycle yet. Here is what I see will happen, he will get a junior day invite by us or someone else. He will start to say things like “it gave me something to think about.” Then he will list top 5, then he say he’s taking all of his visits. The next thing you hear he’s decommiting. My point to @Ketchum was he over-exaggerates things. All season long it’s dare to dream, meet the new QB of the season, then we’re back too 8 years of mediocrity. That pendulum swings way from one extreme to the other. I guess the guy doesn’t like someone saying he does that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT