ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (My prom, Charlie Strong and Tom Herman)

Prom - do they still have those?

Herman has a lot of work to do to not find himself in a shit season in 2017. Recruiting looks to be on life support at best.

He's got more time and he's not starting from scratch with the Texas HS coaches but TEXAS seems to not mean much to a lot of the top kids in state. What a bunch of SUCK.

There won't be any magical turnaround for this program. Final 4s are a fantasy - I guess I can be pretty sure we won't lose to ISU or KU - yes, I just typed that, that's how low expectations have fallen.

TEXAS - what....never mind, maybe we won't completely suck next year.

BUY or SELL: Looking at Alabama's staff that does NOT coach on the field, it appears they have 24 staff members. Within 12 months Herman has 20 or more at Texas?

(Sell) Alabama is on a different level. I’d be stunned to see Texas operating at that level of overkill.

Why do you think this is a problem for Herman to not assemble a staff similar to Saban in 12 months? Is it money related? If not 12 months then how long? Do you think Herman doesn't have the cachet to get talented coaches needed to fill that type of staff? What is it?

Your answer is disheartening

Does anybody else wonder if PSU being left out has anything to do with the Sandusky matter?

If so -- good. They should have a generation-long postseason ban. F whoever overturned their initial punishment which still wasn't enough.

Reactions: FriscoWolf
BUY or SELL: The roster Herman inherits from CS is not significantly better than the one CS inherited from Mack? The commits at the time of the coaching change should be included as part of the inherited roster. Before you snap out the standard answer of it is, do a position by position evaluation.

(Buy) There are a few areas where the 2014 group has an edge and a few areas that the 2017 group would have in a straight up comparison (and a few would be kind of a push), but two things stand out in favor of what Strong left behind.

The quarterback position isn’t a total disaster and would appear to have a budding young starter, whose floor is middle of the conference quality.

The sheer amount of young talent in the program is much better.

Ironically, Mack Brown left Charlie Strong with a better group of seniors than Strong leaves Herman.

You forgot...
Mack left Charlie the best RB in college football.

I don't think there is anybody on the roster that will be a Heisman caliber type player...

Herman has not coached his first Texas game and already he is expected by some to exceed 9 straight seasons with 10 or more wins, one national championship, and playing for another. Glad to see that we have not lowered our expectations !
How does 118-18 sound over the next 10 years..... It was tricky Nick has....

Not when one of the sport’s giants is involved, which was the case this weekend when Penn State learned the cardinal rule when it comes to college football’s playoff, which is that the committee makes the shit up as it goes.
======================

I am so hoping this leads to an 8-team playoff.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Herbie get lost. He's nothing more than a shill for Ohio State.
As the years go by, Herbie looks so much more like a shill for his friends than an honest commentator of college football.

Ketch, any comments about Foreman not getting a seat in NY?
He played in zero games of national significance. It matters.

As yourself this... can you tell the story of the college football season without ever mentioning Foreman's name?

That's why he wasn't invited.

Reactions: Joepatriot
did nobody watch a VT team almost beat Clemson??? How in anybody's mind is Clemson #2 after so many close games against no-so-great opponents?
Because the quality of play this year sucks at the top. Everyone but Bama is vulnerable.

"At around midnight, the two of us went back to my hotel room to change clothes before heading to a downtown after-party and as I opened the door to put our bags inside the room, I locked us both out, triggering one of the most embarrassing moments of my life. Because the room was booked by my best friend’s mom, I had to call her in the middle of the night and have her come to the hotel to show identification, so I could get a key replacement."
raw
None taken.

Not just European soccer media. English soccer media takes the cake. Hyperbole thy name is the English press.

Thanks for the brutally honest prom story. Hit a little too close to home for this former very awkward teenager.
My life really could be an 80's comedy.

Had to be that one friend with a "cool mom" ain't no way mine ever would have went for that
My friend had the room right next door and was getting busy with his date at the time of the lockout. He would not help.

@Ketchum Does Coach H have a history using JUCO players? I know the last two regimes didn't play much in that area. I feel there is proven talent but we never built those relationships. Thank you in advance and the post was great!
I doubt Texas becomes a JUCO train station.

It truly is amazing what occurred after Texas Tech game and starting with the W.V. loss the chain of events to come:

1. Texas lost to W.V. despite out-gaining them, out-rushing them, having more first downs, winning time of possession, winning the TO battle AND being at home - and still lost. The quintessential Texas loss under Strong.

2. 5 days later, Tom Herman's Houston team, which had looked shaky the last few weeks, unexpectedly and inexplicably (everybody expected Houston to lose) upsets Top 5 ranked Louisville. In fact, Houston dominates from start to finish, reigniting the passion for Herman among Orangebloods.

3. Kansas upsets Texas. The unthinkable happened. This loss, as Justin Wells put it, brought balance back to the force. Think about the Kris Boyd interception that wasn't as well. That call went against Texas. Charlie didn't make a fuss about it, which prevented Replay to possibly look at it. Kansas eventually wins. It took 6 Texas turnovers for that to happen, otherwise Texas wins comfortably.

4. Thanksgiving night fiasco ensues, and Texas receives Tom Herman's agent public media message loud and clear, and begins to move. If Tom Herman had zero preference for Texas or LSU, he's likely the LSU head coach right now. All the roadblocks and chatter are cleared in an instant. Texas is ready to move on Herman and not let LSU get him.

5. Rumors - unfounded as it turns out - of Charlie possibly saving his job are rendered moot when an average TCU team blows out a lifeless and emotionally drained Longhorn squad leading to the events of Friday night into Saturday morning where Charlie is fired and Tom Herman is named coach all in the same day.

It's amazing when you think about all that occurred since that Nov.12 loss to W.V. that set off a chain of events all linked to get Texas to where it's at right now - Tom Herman as coach with real genuine hope after the worst 3 year stretch in Texas football history.

The timing was perfectly aligned in this instance.
MV5BMTkzMjEzOTQ3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjI1NzU5._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Reactions: trophies2
ADVERTISEMENT