ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Nothing but good vibes)

That's a really incomplete look at the scenario. It really doesn't discuss the nuance of what happened.
Of course that's not the entire picture but those are several relevant aspects of the situation.

This loss stills irks me. Guys like this shouldn't be all conference for Ohio State.

clint eastwood Deserve's got nothing to do with it. GIF

Is it the coaches at those schools?
I would say probably. The head coach just retired, too, so it may help.

We lost out on some athletes from Bellaire not from Episcopal as well. There were a few players that Bellaire had like Courtney Lark that we weren't too high on because we were going after better players than him like Devin Duvernay.

Just as a 4th generation Texan and 2nd gen Longhorn, I love it when we can keep elite Texas guys at home. Should be worked on for sure like Ketch said. Not that it'll make a huge difference in personnel but from an optics stand point it looks great. IMO.

Reactions: BattleshipTexas
That's only about 1.5 per year. I would expect more, honestly.
when i was doing research i was expecting more as well. But in regards to a high school how many actual draft picks has Duncanville, Desoto, North Shore, Mater Dei etc. have had draft picks over the past 12 years.

when i was doing research i was expecting more as well. But in regards to a high school how many actual draft picks has Duncanville, Desoto, North Shore, Mater Dei etc. have had draft picks over the past 12 years.
Not that many.

B/S: Baxter and Blue are sold and locked in on a two back rotation similar to how this season finished moving forward as good for them?

I think there's not one single reason that has caused the current situation. If there was, it would be easier to discuss as a topic.
Issues like this are often complicated. I would be interested in your thoughts on the many factors you believed have caused this situation and how Sark might solve the Texas recruiting problem in the future. Thanks for responding to my initial inquiry.

Tell yourself what you need to in order to sleep, I guess.
It’s well know Texas never pushed on those. The Filsaime flip just proved Texas will get 9/10 of the guys they actually push for.

Its More Sark and co identified other players that fit what they were looking for more imo

Last edited:
Reactions: htownhorn13
I think it matters but we are luckily supplementing our in state misses with out of state home-runs (Ryan Wingo, Brandon Baker) but the key is to try and get all the 6.1 and 6.0 in state guys we can and stack up the classes.

Looking up the 2021 class looks rough
1. Quinn Ewers- Hit
2. Tommy Brockermeyer - Bust
3. Donovan Jackson - Hit
4. JT Sanders - Hit
5. Bryce Foster - Bust
6. Clayton Smith - Bust
7. Tunmise Adeleye - Hit
8. Camar Wheaton - Bust
9. Shemar Turner - Hit
10. Jojo Earle - Bust

50% hit rate
I disagree that the staff is lucky in hitting recruiting out of state. Over the last 3 years (small sample size I realize), they’ve shown they’re not going after the 5* guys just for the sake of it. They’re recruiting fits, culturally and mentally, in conjunction with needs.

Reactions: htownhorn13
I disagree that the staff is lucky in hitting recruiting out of state. Over the last 3 years (small sample size I realize), they’ve shown they’re not going after the 5* guys just for the sake of it. They’re recruiting fits, culturally and mentally, in conjunction with needs.
maybe it was a poor choice of words when I used luckily. I should have used fortunately because this staff is working hard and killing OOS recruiting.

Reactions: Txhorns10
Kind of a weird year.

Hudson is a legacy. Williams and JJA jjust had a IGAS fixation. Horns didn;t want Lagway. Bussey was an Aggie lean. Horns went out of state at running back.

It was just a lot of little things.
Ketch, something that I have wondered about…I think the coaches have placed a high value on kids in SEC territory. They know what to expect from playing in that league. That helps with the transition and allows Texas kids time to come around and see that they can stay in Texas. Just a thought and probably nothing to it.

Ketch, something that I have wondered about…I think the coaches have placed a high value on kids in SEC territory. They know what to expect from playing in that league. That helps with the transition and allows Texas kids time to come around and see that they can stay in Texas. Just a thought and probably nothing to it.
It also makes going back into those territories easier each time afterwards.

Reactions: ball911
Good read Ketch (per usual). I think the Texas recruiting will come in time. Let's keep in mind it is still early. What I mean is, how many of us drank the KoolAid and said we would be in the playoffs this year? Personally, I felt it was possible, but the troubles in the red zone and passing defense struggles were needing attention. Hopefully, this has been solved and the ripple effect of the stone in the pond will eventually find Texas recruits coming in to the program. Or not! what do i know! LOL

Reactions: TexasRads1
Good read Ketch (per usual). I think the Texas recruiting will come in time. Let's keep in mind it is still early. What I mean is, how many of us drank the KoolAid and said we would be in the playoffs this year? Personally, I felt it was possible, but the troubles in the red zone and passing defense struggles were needing attention. Hopefully, this has been solved and the ripple effect of the stone in the pond will eventually find Texas recruits coming in to the program. Or not! what do i know! LOL

THat's an incredible show of patience.

Issues like this are often complicated. I would be interested in your thoughts on the many factors you believed have caused this situation and how Sark might solve the Texas recruiting problem in the future. Thanks for responding to my initial inquiry.
We will almost certainly finish with a top 3 class. The way momentum is going it could easily be top 2, and no 1 isn’t out of the question. Does Sark have a “Texas recruiting problem?” Really?

Saw some people were wondering what uniform Texas will be wearing in the Sugar Bowl. Just saw a Texas football social media post looks like we will be wearing our icy whites!!!

College Football Celebration GIF

Reactions: Ketchum
I just dont think recruiting the State of Texas and dominating the top 10 is as important anymore. Sark and Co aren’t going to go after guys in Texas because they’re “ranked in the top 10-20”, they’re going to recruit fits for the program.

The narrative Sark can’t dominate Texas recruiting is old
Agree. If we dominate Texas like in some past years, we will fall back into the trap of believing Texas is the be all, end all of football and ignore the fact that there are great football players elsewhere too.

Texas is important— yes, and it produces great football players, but Texas football is a true, iconic national brand, like the cowboys, and its recruiting classes are beginning to reflect that fact.

We’ve only got 25 spots or so each year. If we can cherry pick two top players in 12 states that fills the class without dominating Texas. I love hearing the whining when we go into Georgia and Alabama, and Oklahoma, and Florida, and Missouri, and Mississippi, and California, and Arizona, and Louisiana …..

I love it, frankly. We’ll always get our share from Texas so relax.

Last edited:
This loss stills irks me. Guys like this shouldn't be all conference for Ohio State.
yeah, the one that irks me is Jaxon Smith Njigba that dude didn't even get an offer from Herman. Especially seeing his catch on MNF makes it even worse.

We will almost certainly finish with a top 3 class. The way momentum is going it could easily be top 2, and no 1 isn’t out of the question. Does Sark have a “Texas recruiting problem?” Really?

What word would you use to describe the in-state 2024 recruiting?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT