ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Nothing but good vibes)

Rather than discuss what I wrote, you're discussing where I slotted it?

I don't view the order of the column as significant. I do my lists in the last spot and that''s some folk's favorite part.

Pm topp of that, I've had a section for volleyball in my column all season, even when they were struggling or didn't have games on the weekend. I've showed them more respect than anyone in the industry all season. I don't remember you commenting on the sport during that time.
The order matters.

Watched three of the state title games. Simmons was an absolute unit and difference maker. he needs to clean up the penalties, 2 back to back with roughing passer and hands to face.

Dakorian Moore and Caden Durham are huge difference makers as well.

Need to close on Christian Jackson out of PNG (my alma mater) He is a monster.

Reactions: Ketchum
I think far more important than a simple summary statistic of top 20 in-state players, is peeling back the layers to find out the why (they aren't committing to Texas) and the who (is replacing them from OOS or lower in-state).

@Ketchum already commented on the "Why"...seems primarily it was a weird year. We had a top WR have strong legacy ties to Tech, we have a staff that for whatever reason never really pushed hard for Bussey (I disagree here and think we should have but the staff doesn't seem to have a clean projection for him). Georgia came in and stole our lunch on Justin Williams and JJA - happens, they obviously have quite a few skins on the wall to show recruits, especially on defense. Our RB recruiting seemed to favor two OOS players - I'll go ahead and trust Choice on that front as he's earned that. OL I wasn't a huge fan of the in-state crop this year - IMO we got the best Interior OL Center prospect in Cruz; I think he'll be a stud. Then we got our 2024 can't miss guy in Simmons. On QB, I think we got the perfect post-Arch Manning QB recruit we could have - a guy who is willing to sit in our system and learn for 2-3 years, and I think his senior tape is pretty damn compelling. Hard to be overly critical on the in-state haul this year, regardless of what the ranking stats say.

I'm not sure I love the WRs ranked highly, so I could see why Sark and Jackson would evaluate elsewhere...which leads me to the "who".

Who are we replacing some of these "in-state misses" with. On receiver, we went and secured a 5* out of Missouri - that'll do. I discussed RB recruiting above, time will tell on that, but I'm of the opinion that Choice has earned the benefit of the doubt with how good our RB room has been.

We went and secured the best RT prospect in the country from powerhouse Mater Dei - that'll do and then some. We went into LA and FL to secure some big commits (literally) with Hills (iDL), Mack (Nickel, CB) and Robinson (DT), especially when the Texas iDL prospects were lacking.

Overall, this discussion just needs a more complete picture than saying "we missed on 16 top 20 kids! Need to do better!". I'm not implying Ketch is saying this, in fact, I think he captured it well. But as long as the why and who are answered, I really don't care where these kids come from - it's silly to have that outlook in modern football in 2024.

I think it matters but we are luckily supplementing our in state misses with out of state home-runs (Ryan Wingo, Brandon Baker) but the key is to try and get all the 6.1 and 6.0 in state guys we can and stack up the classes.

Looking up the 2021 class looks rough
1. Quinn Ewers- Hit
2. Tommy Brockermeyer - Bust
3. Donovan Jackson - Hit
4. JT Sanders - Hit
5. Bryce Foster - Bust
6. Clayton Smith - Bust
7. Tunmise Adeleye - Hit
8. Camar Wheaton - Bust
9. Shemar Turner - Hit
10. Jojo Earle - Bust

50% hit rate
Calling Adeleye a "Hit" is an interesting take, considering he's been kicked off his second team now and even before that made almost zero contributions.

Out of the players in the top 20. Who do you feel we will regret not getting over the next 3-4 years from the 2024 class if any? For me its Justin Williams only because its a position of NEED and Terry Bussey I think he would have been special in Burnt Orange.

In 2021 we landed 2 out of the top 25
in 2022 we landed 7 out of the top 25
in 2023 we landed 6 out of the top 25
in 2024 we are at 3 out of the top 25 (4 if we land Xavier Filsaime)

What do you think are the biggest reasons for the in state recruiting misses? We know this staff can clearly recruit but there seems to be a disconnect with some of the states top talent to want to come here. I do believe though getting Anthony Hill and Colin Simmons are can't miss players they are worth 3 to 4 players each.

But to land IMG kids is a big deal I remember back in the day we wouldn't get any of those kids, the Pipeline to Mater Dei is nice to. Just need to get that pipeline to North Shore, Desoto, and Duncanville locked down.
The super blue chips.

I think it's just an odd year with a lot of reasons adding up to it.

Reactions: mh48
the 2023 class has the QB of the future with Manning that 2024 just doesn't have the same way 2025 with Lacey is the QB of the future. When you hit with you QB that class just matters more.
It had a super blue chip QB, RB, WR, DE, LB and DB.

Very spread out.

Reactions: ARD438 and mh48
I don't think dominating the state is important or realistic with NIL. Things are changed so just looking at the states top players and expecting us to land all those kids won't be realistic anymore if you're being honest. That metric stopped being important and using old metrics in a new world of recruiting probably won't ever matter beyond just something to discuss.
Texas and Texas A&M literally combined to land 8 of the top 10 two years ago.

I know this is probably a summer exercise, but if Texas lands Moore and Mukuba along with Golden, how many of those guys would be considered "Super Blue Chip" Transfers? I'm guessing that in previous years that Ewers, Mitchell and maybe Watts would have been SBC Transfers. It is still early, so I'm sure that line that determines success rate in transfers is still being established.
All 3.

If this had already been discussed then ignore. Just opening this for the first time and there are already 6 pages of comments...

On thought number 2, the way the players are listed doesn't match the way they are described in the analysis. I think the written analysis is a better reflection because I think Cook is an "X" all the way, but you have him listed in the beginning as a "Z".
I matched them based on how Alex has listed them on his personal depth chart.

1702918784289.png

Watched three of the state title games. Simmons was an absolute unit and difference maker. he needs to clean up the penalties, 2 back to back with roughing passer and hands to face.

Dakorian Moore and Caden Durham are huge difference makers as well.

Need to close on Christian Jackson out of PNG (my alma mater) He is a monster.
good stuff

I think it matters but we are luckily supplementing our in state misses with out of state home-runs (Ryan Wingo, Brandon Baker) but the key is to try and get all the 6.1 and 6.0 in state guys we can and stack up the classes.

Looking up the 2021 class looks rough
1. Quinn Ewers- Hit
2. Tommy Brockermeyer - Bust
3. Donovan Jackson - Hit
4. JT Sanders - Hit
5. Bryce Foster - Bust
6. Clayton Smith - Bust
7. Tunmise Adeleye - Hit
8. Camar Wheaton - Bust
9. Shemar Turner - Hit
10. Jojo Earle - Bust

50% hit rate
Foster is a bust?

BTW, the it rate the way you've done it is 50%. Do you know the hit rate of most fives stars? Between 50-70% depending on the year.

Reactions: Buffalosoldiers
I always thought Worthy was at X and Mitchell was at Z. Now I'm thoroughly confused.

Whichever it is, Cook is going to be in Worthy's role from last year, and I think he's going to be extremely successful in it.
agreed

Is that the table you're standing on today.?
I mean, sure? Obviously there are some of those guys (Hudson, Williams, JJA) that they recruited, and there are others (Smith, Durham, Bussey) that were offered but clearly weren’t recruited as priorities, right or wrong.

I mean, sure? Obviously there are some of those guys (Hudson, Williams, JJA) that they recruited, and there are others (Smith, Durham, Bussey) that were offered but clearly weren’t recruited as priorities, right or wrong.
So, Texas could have done better?

@Ketchum I agree with the ‘23 class! When we look back, any class with Arch Manning and Anthony Hill is gonna be competing for GOAT.

I feel like both are future top 5 draft picks

And our in state recruiting does need to be better, but as long as Sark keeps South Dallas in the pipeline…

The in state haul outside of Simmons, January and a couple of other guys is underwhelming.

We gotta work on it for sure - I was slammed for saying we should be owning in state recruits just over a month ago that since were a national brand we can recruit nationally, so we don’t have to get all the in state guys.
Just playing devil’s advocate here, possibly the staff prioritized the OOS recruits as better prospects this year?

I’m with you though, I wanna see 7 of the states top 10 in burnt orange every year. But ultimately, just win.

Reactions: htownhorn13
@Ketchum I agree with the ‘23 class! When we look back, any class with Arch Manning and Anthony Hill is gonna be competing for GOAT.

I feel like both are future top 5 draft picks

And our in state recruiting does need to be better, but as long as Sark keeps South Dallas in the pipeline…
Oh and we have lots of other studs after those 2. No disrespect to Johntay, CJ, Malik and the rest

Reactions: htownhorn13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT