ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend... (Now is no time to flinch)

I think everyone wants to believe.

I think most have caution after all these years.
I want to believe that this staff is much better than the last staff and that Sark is a better HC, offensive mind, game planner and play caller. I believe that this is the year Herman thought he would finally have the roster to play for championships.
Herman would have won 10 games last year except for the three wins lost to the virus (thanks to LSU being bad last year).
That was with Herman not having the team focused on football, IMO.
If Sark and staff is as good as I think, I expect 10+ wins this year.

I've never been a big believer in signing 2 QBs in a class. And now with the Portal it makes even less sense. I know in years past it made sense to perhaps do it every couple of years or so, but I remember when people insisted we "sign 2 until we find one," and it went against all common sense.
I think it's easy to say that now because Texas has good quarterbacks, but five years ago.... people were ready to trade hands and arms for someone that could not be borderline terrible. ;)

I think Herman recruited him and likely indicated that a starting spot was coming his way or he wouldn't have likely made the move.

I'm not sure that the new staff views him quite like that.
Didn't he flirt with OU after the staff change, and the new staff talked him back into Texas?

I think the whole O U legacy thing throws some people off, me included, and that he may not be loyal to U T if not the starter but if I’m not mistaken o u didn’t even offer him so I don’t know that there’s the normal disdain you might think there is toward U T in his camp. Sark has to play the best player because that’s best for the team and he can confidently do that knowing he’s not the one who got us in this predicament in the first place.

Charles has made it crystal clear they’re not going to stick around if Casey isn’t the guy. I would expect it to happen quickly and Anwar even said as much last week that he expects a transfer if he isn’t the starter. Which is just fine…completely within his right to do so. And after Casey’s past portal threat combined with the comments Charles has made about Sam….if he loses the job and bails out then good riddance to both of em.

Ketch, glad to see that you liked "Wonder Years." Undoubtedly, some of the best 30 minutes of television ever created. Poignant, funny, honest and quintessential coming-of-age heartache. Some of the most clever and intelligent writing in what was a very good period for TV.

... Watching a team play out of the back in soccer when it doesn't have enough skill is like watching a college football team throw the ball 40 times a game with a running quarterback.

All I could think of was 2014 Texas and Tyrone Swoopes.

It perplexes me how little season projections take into consideration the effects of injuries. As usual, this 2021 version of Longhorn football depends hugely on the luck factor of healthy players at almost every single position. It would be incredible to have backups and not feel gut punched every time a Longhorn player is slow to get up.

Whichever QB does not win the starters job, hanging on for the season and getting one more season of Sark’s coaching would not be time wasted.

The '21 recruiting class is proving more disappointing every week. So many bad beats, and to janky programs like aggy and duck.

Unless Sark is able to pull a monkey* out of a hat later this year, color me unimpressed.

*went with monkey rather than rabbit in honor of our head recruiter's wife's "talent."

61-39 is a pretty large spread. With the amount of inside info you receive, I’m leaning the decision has probably already been made.

@Ketchum I would say having Card winning the job at 61/39 is relatively significant. Does this come from sourcing/gut/confidence in Card, or all of the above?

I’m all chips in with Card.

TIA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT