ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Patterson has been UT's daddy lately and that needs to change)

I'd love to see Malik in a Cowboys uniform. Mainly because I believe in Rod Marinelli's ability to hide Malik's deficiencies and make the most of his speed and ability to get after the quarterback. He needs to get better in pass coverage but a late first round pick on Malik might be a good pick.
Gotta feeling Dallas ain't picking late.

OK with me, but you will have to define "confirmed", "concussion" and "contact" to have a meaningful rule, plus defend why you have that specific time frame (why 7 to 14: why not 8 to 12?).
I assume you mean the "collective you" and not me in particular when it comes to defending the time frame. I agree that there will have to be some science around it and that is best left to medical professionals. I have no idea if it should be 7,8,12,14 or 40 days. But I think it's getting looked at 200% more now that it ever was and as much money as these guys make for the schools and networks they need to be protected from the "win at all cost" machine that is big time college football. Most of these guys won't play pro ball but all of them get one brain for the remainder of their lives. And I can't be the only old fart on here that remembers being that age and thinking they were indestructible only to discover later in life that we're all very destructible.

I assume you mean the "collective you" and not me in particular when it comes to defending the time frame. I agree that there will have to be some science around it and that is best left to medical professionals. I have no idea if it should be 7,8,12,14 or 40 days. But I think it's getting looked at 200% more now that it ever was and as much money as these guys make for the schools and networks they need to be protected from the "win at all cost" machine that is big time college football. Most of these guys won't play pro ball but all of them get one brain for the remainder of their lives. And I can't be the only old fart on here that remembers being that age and thinking they were indestructible only to discover later in life that we're all very destructible.
+ a bazillion

No. 6 - While we're comparing current players to all-time greats ...

Let's compare DeShon Elliott's numbers against Earl Thomas' productivity from Thomas’ monster 2009 season, arguably the greatest season any Texas defensive back has ever had.

Thomas (14 games): 77 tackles, 5 tackles for loss, 8 interceptions, 16 pass break-ups and one forced fumble.
Elliott (projected 12 game numbers): 60 tackles, 7 tackles for loss, 9 interceptions, 5 pass break-ups and 3 forced fumbles

Let's appreciate the season that Elliott is having. Clearly, it's borderline special.

I think you can see clearly that ET had a different year than Elliot is having. 16 PBUs vs 5 is astounding. ET was creating his own picks, not waiting for badly thrown or tipped passes to fall in his lap.

I think a better comparison year is Gideon's. He had 6 picks compared to ET's 9 and more of his were a result of feeding off forced miscues and mistakes playing center field.

Elliot is going to need to show less center field fly ball catcher and more, well, ET, to earn a comparison.

I do think Elliot is more physical though in run support.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT