ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend: Sarkisian's youth movement on his staff...

Name me the last qb that went 7-5 his first year as a starter and then made waves there after. Please no teams like Utah State, or Illinois. Big boy schools. Aranda took a team from 2 wins to 12. If Sark and Ewers are going to be "the guy", 7-5 isn't going to cut it next year.

If we want to go 5-7 and 7-5, we can go hire Charlie Strong again for much cheaper..... or a multitude of other coaches.
Sam? 7-5 and the won 10 and Sugar Bowl?

A. I agree, shouldn't even discuss him as a LT option. I wish more of these OL were graduating early like Hutson.

B. I agree wholeheartedly.

C. Takes a special talent and body type to walk in and start at LT on a major power 5 team. Banks isn't that mammoth 6'7 340 lb unicorn guy.

D. Shouldn't even be in the cards for him to play LT. Jones is our LT for the foreseeable future until he isn't.

E. I agree, someone is going to have to play Tackle and the most likely options are Williams, Banks, and Neto.

F. I agree, coaches will say whatever they need to say to get a kid on campus. The examples of this over time exemplifies this statement.

G. It's a big spring for guys like Jones, Garth, and Karic.

H. If he has to play LT, then we either had injuries that dictated this or the less likely option he shows up to campus in the summer and Flood does an amazing job with him and he improves dramatically. Best case scenario is that Jones takes another step and Karic bulks up dramatically this offseason.
I like your best case scenario and I hope all of our returning linemen take big steps this off season.

Sam? 7-5 and the won 10 and Sugar Bowl?
You'll have to excuse me if I expect and want more from Ewers than Sam. He just wasn't that great. He followed that Sugar Bowl up by going 15-8. Sam isn't in the category of started bad and then made waves after IMO. The Sugar Bowl is nice and all but we still lost 4 games that season. The guys I mentioned later in the thread don't even get close to losing 4 games in a season.

You'll have to excuse me if I expect and want more from Ewers than Sam. He just wasn't that great. He followed that Sugar Bowl up by going 15-8. Sam isn't in the category of started bad and then made waves after IMO. The Sugar Bowl is nice and all but we still lost 4 games that season. The guys I mentioned later in the thread don't even get close to losing 4 games in a season.
That's fine, but the point of the question was to find someone that made the jump from 7-5 to something much bigger the next year. I think Sam qualifies, even if I respect your take and the reasons for it.

I want and expect more too. I was just answering the question.

Reactions: Seftees
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT