ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Shaka is a damn good coach)

You have a weird habit of labeling your opinion as the truth. You picked a bunch of stats that paint a positive picture. There are plenty that can be picked that paint a very negative picture.

When you take a highly subjective and largely meaningless statement like “is someone a good coach”, you can offer any number of facts on either side. Good compared to what? Our last coach? Reasonable expectations? An objective and results-based analysis? Performance relative to the talent on the roster? Performance relative to preseason expectations?

Your incredibly condescending and frankly bizarre habit of making definitive statements and then acting indignant when anyone disagrees is tiresome. I’m out.

Ketch quoted every response except the one that absolutely destroyed him.

I would contend most on this board have never done a better job at their own jobs when faced with the type of hand he's been dealt.

Be better.

I haven't skipped over anything. You saying it doesn't make it true,just repetitive.

Repetitive? From the guy who literally copied and pasted a portion of his blog in this thread over and over?

I stopped reading at page 9, back to the grind.

47-46, probably ends year 3 with a losing record. Damn good coach? Do you think he’s our coach after next year? The B12 is a real basketball conference, not a mid major.
You know they are 16 and 11 right now, right? Even if they lost all four remaining games (unlikely), and lost their opening Big 12 Tourney game (unlikely), they would still be 16 and 16, which is .500.

Do you actually pay attention to basketball or do you just like exercising your ability to be a under-informed/over-opinionated UT sports fan?

Fascinating thread...

Seems a lot of people read the first words and skipped parts like this

"A fair assessment of his first three seasons in Austin: decent, disaster and damn good. I'll defend Smart in a lot of areas, but I can't argue that the totality of his three seasons have equated to definitive, tangible success."

Fascinating thread...

"A fair assessment of his first three seasons in Austin: decent, disaster and damn good. I'll defend Smart in a lot of areas, but I can't argue that the totality of his three seasons have equated to definitive, tangible success."
Funny what gets ignored, huh?

If 50 teams are really going to be implicated I am surprised we have not heard more rumors.

There are rumors, but since it's a FBI deal, there's a lack of information. But I guarantee you there are a lot of programs across the country that are nervous.

Fascinating thread...

So....do you agree Dustin? Is Shaka a "damn good coach"? Is he worthy of Big 12 coach of the year votes this season?

Yeah, but Shaka hasn't shown any semblance of a coherent offensive system. It has nothing to do with losing Andrew Jones, there is no coherent offensive identity. Nothing remotely coherent on offense.

Yeah, but Shaka hasn't shown any semblance of a coherent offensive system. It has nothing to do with losing Andrew Jones, there is no coherent offensive identity. Nothing remotely coherent on offense.
There have been times when they have been coherent, Saturday, for example.

Comparing Shaka Smart to Mack Brown is really an insult to Brown. Up to Mack's first conference title, he had a 81% winning percentage at Texas compared to 51% for Shaka. One of them had proven they could coach in a big boy conference and the other still has not. The 4-7 record against power 5 schools at VCU is very telling...not just in the record, but the fact that in six seasons they played less than two games per year against Power 5 schools. If you're giving him credit for being a really good coach at VCU, you're really ignoring the same strength of schedule and quality wins argument that you used to make your point in the OP.

Reactions: GishMD
Comparing Shaka Smart to Mack Brown is really an insult to Brown. Up to Mack's first conference title, he had a 81% winning percentage at Texas compared to 51% for Shaka. One of them had proven they could coach in a big boy conference and the other still has not. The 4-7 record against power 5 schools at VCU is very telling...not just in the record, but the fact that in six seasons they rarely played less than two games per year against Power 5 schools. If you're giving him credit for being a really good coach at VCU, you're really ignoring the same strength of schedule and quality wins argument that you used to make your point in the OP.

Yep. Shaka had one lucky tournament run. That’s it. Without that he isn’t considered an above average coach and is still at VCU.

Ketch's defense of Smart is over the top and uses statistical analysis that is not entirely contextual to the current situation. Personally I like Smart, I've seen practices up close , been with the team on road trips , like his overall approach and organization. That being stated, his x and o maneuvers are very inconsistent and the past two years indicate we really don't know what we have in Smart. A team that can pull off the road win against OU but can get whacked by a shorthanded TCU. It's a fair observation that our half court offense is simply terrible most of the time- we run a psiposphy not an offense. While we don't block out offensively or defensively , make lazy passes and lazy receptions -- thats endemic to all of college basketball .

The caterwauling here by some fans is a moot point -- no change is going to be made due to the economics of the situation for a minimum of one year and probably two years regardless of NCAA qualifying. Certainly I'm not in favor of making a change this year as the optics of such a move would be extraordinarily difficult to justify.

Smart is an enigma. He is undergoing some OJT for Big 12 basketball where there are excellent tactical coaches that have recruited well for their systems. Every team must bring their A game and every coach must bring their A game adjustments every night with rare exception. You simply have to shoot and make three pointers in this era. It not as simple as saying "don't shoot threes because you are not a good three shooting team " -- that would be the equivalent of saying don't pass the ball in football , it simply is not an option. We don't run the 3/4 and 1/2 court trap press as much as I thought we would -- bringing Smart here made me think that would be our staple in year 3 . Has he not recruited "shooters " ?? -- I'll let the recruitnik gurus answer that. I will say I watched Jacob Young hit so many three's running the opponents offense against our first team, that Smart had to set him down because they were not getting anything done -on the road no less -- over the course of several segments he hit 19 of 21 threes that I counted. But he sure has not lit it up like he did in high school during games. Perhaps that goes to our offensive scheme where we ( by we I mean Smart) does not seem to put players in a position to succeed consistently by design-- only by individual effort is that accomplished.

This is a very different situation that C.Strong. Strong was overmatched in virtually every aspect of the Texas job - organization, focus , attention to detail - and it was very obvious from early on he was in over his head and confirmed by the Iowa St game of 2015. Smart's situation is very different -- there are many things he does right -- virtually all the things behind the scenes are well run but the on court performance is so inconsistent as to raise questions as to long term viability. I'm hoping that something clicks and clicks very soon . As Del Conte said Texas needs to win " for our soul " in everything other than football .(Of course he also indicated football is for the whole package -- our,soul, financial well being of the department, football drives the train) .
Great post. The offensive issues are very real as is the lack of the havoc style of play that made him so successful at VCU. We all hope that Shaka succeeds, but offensively it's been an utter disaster and he doesn't seem like he has any idea of how to fix it.

I would contend most on this board have never done a better job at their own jobs when faced with the type of hand he's been dealt.
Most on this board aren't paid $3,000,000 per year. Also, injuries/illness aside, most on this board don't have as much control over the hand they're dealt as a college coach.

Comparing Shaka Smart to Mack Brown is really an insult to Brown. Up to Mack's first conference title, he had a 81% winning percentage at Texas compared to 51% for Shaka. One of them had proven they could coach in a big boy conference and the other still has not. The 4-7 record against power 5 schools at VCU is very telling...not just in the record, but the fact that in six seasons they played less than two games per year against Power 5 schools. If you're giving him credit for being a really good coach at VCU, you're really ignoring the same strength of schedule and quality wins argument that you used to make your point in the OP.
How many years did it take for Mack Brown to win a conference title?

Play in a major bowl game?

Most on this board aren't paid $3,000,000 per year. Also, injuries/illness aside, most on this board don't have as much control over the hand they're dealt as a college coach.
correct

@LonghornBuc

Kenpom has the UT defense ranked 5th in the nation.
It was highly rated last year as well. Allen and Bamba have a lot to do with that, don't you think? Roach as well. Again, next year should tell a lot. Shaka isn't going to have a lottery pick playing center, which is a rarity these days.

But no question, the D is better than the O. Same thing we said about Barnes. But I think Barnes D was much more a team effort than that of one or two players. Shakas teams play with intensity on D on an intermittent basis. Barnes teams played that way most all the time.

That's funny.

I'd also gander he respects the hell out of Shaka Smart.
Both can be true. I respect and like Smart as well, but he is not a great coach (or at least has not been at Texas).

Thanks to your post I think I like Shaka again. Great job on stating your points and supporting them with facts. Two more wins and we are in the NCAA tourney and anything can happen with this team.....

which part was dumb? Quote it.

“Four of the top seven are freshman.” Really, well let’s take another look you conveniently omitted, three of the top five, and the three getting the most minutes, are JUNIORS. Jeesh.

I love that we have all these opinions in one place for future reference.

For the record, I’m still all in on Shaka.

Reactions: JF811
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT