ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Shaka is a damn good coach)

Ok, we’re paddling upstream in a douche canoe re the damn good classification. Is it fair to say Shaka at least deserves some damn respect?

He is the definition of an average power 5 coach.

His record at a power 5 school is 47-46, which statistically is an almost perfectly average record.

He is the 5th best coach in a 10 team league.

When ranking all coaches from power 5 schools, he falls somewhere in the 20-30 area. Out of 65 schools, that sounds pretty average.

So what tangible evidence are you using that justifies him being an above average power 5 coach? You obviously do not want to discuss his X's and O's to prove your point, so lets compare him with his peers.
He hasn't proven to be n above-average power five coach yet. I've stated that many, many times. It's in the article.

Reactions: JBR2009
Rick had a 16-18 season towards the end. Didn't win in the Tournament. Didn't win a conference title. Fell apart late annually.

He's at least there, which isn't good enough.
Shaka took a perennial tournament team and in year 2 tied Bob F Weltlich for the alltime loss record. In year 3 he’s hoping to avoid missing a second straight tournament. Neither Barnes or Penders did that.

Reactions: NativeTex
Shaka took a perennial tournament team and in year 2 tied Bob F Weltlich for the alltime loss record. In year 3 he’s hoping to avoid missing a second straight tournament. Neither Barnes or Penders did that.
No, but both coaches had disaster seasons on their watch, just like Shaka a year ago.

I like Garrett Wilson and sure hope we get him. But, there's no way he ranks ahead of DeMavin Leal and certainly not 10 spots better. Then again this is just Rivals' rankings, which aren't particularly respected by those who follow recruiting closely..

It is OK for anyone to be disappointed with a number of our close losses this year....we all are. However, anyone who does't appreciate what a great job Shaka Smart is doing in building a sustainable winning program with integrity and class doesn't know their butt from a hole in the ground about college basketball.

I am excited about where he has our program headed. Think about what he inherited when you consider minutes for 4 of the 5 positions on the floor this year are being filled with players in their first year at UT. We only likely lose one of those guys next year. Things are looking up!

Quit bitching and support this guy and the Horns.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I like Garrett Wilson and sure hope we get him. But, there's no way he ranks ahead of DeMavin Leal and certainly not 10 spots better. Then again this is just Rivals' rankings, which aren't particularly respected by those who follow recruiting closely..
Ok.

Ketch's defense of Smart is over the top and uses statistical analysis that is not entirely contextual to the current situation. Personally I like Smart, I've seen practices up close , been with the team on road trips , like his overall approach and organization. That being stated, his x and o maneuvers are very inconsistent and the past two years indicate we really don't know what we have in Smart. A team that can pull off the road win against OU but can get whacked by a shorthanded TCU. It's a fair observation that our half court offense is simply terrible most of the time- we run a psiposphy not an offense. While we don't block out offensively or defensively , make lazy passes and lazy receptions -- thats endemic to all of college basketball .

The caterwauling here by some fans is a moot point -- no change is going to be made due to the economics of the situation for a minimum of one year and probably two years regardless of NCAA qualifying. Certainly I'm not in favor of making a change this year as the optics of such a move would be extraordinarily difficult to justify.

Smart is an enigma. He is undergoing some OJT for Big 12 basketball where there are excellent tactical coaches that have recruited well for their systems. Every team must bring their A game and every coach must bring their A game adjustments every night with rare exception. You simply have to shoot and make three pointers in this era. It not as simple as saying "don't shoot threes because you are not a good three shooting team " -- that would be the equivalent of saying don't pass the ball in football , it simply is not an option. We don't run the 3/4 and 1/2 court trap press as much as I thought we would -- bringing Smart here made me think that would be our staple in year 3 . Has he not recruited "shooters " ?? -- I'll let the recruitnik gurus answer that. I will say I watched Jacob Young hit so many three's running the opponents offense against our first team, that Smart had to set him down because they were not getting anything done -on the road no less -- over the course of several segments he hit 19 of 21 threes that I counted. But he sure has not lit it up like he did in high school during games. Perhaps that goes to our offensive scheme where we ( by we I mean Smart) does not seem to put players in a position to succeed consistently by design-- only by individual effort is that accomplished.

This is a very different situation that C.Strong. Strong was overmatched in virtually every aspect of the Texas job - organization, focus , attention to detail - and it was very obvious from early on he was in over his head and confirmed by the Iowa St game of 2015. Smart's situation is very different -- there are many things he does right -- virtually all the things behind the scenes are well run but the on court performance is so inconsistent as to raise questions as to long term viability. I'm hoping that something clicks and clicks very soon . As Del Conte said Texas needs to win " for our soul " in everything other than football .(Of course he also indicated football is for the whole package -- our,soul, financial well being of the department, football drives the train) .

He hasn't proven to be n above-average power five coach yet. I've stated that many, many times. It's in the article.
I think I am misunderstanding your argument then.

Ok... agreed he's a damn good coach (and a better person).

Agreed...he as not demonstrated he is or can be a good power 5 coach.

I think the Texas fans want a coach that competes for Big 12 basketball titles (reg season and post) and NCAA tournament wins. Not sure Shaka is that guy (and I am on the another year train for a lot of reasons).

Last edited:
@Ketchum - First off I won't say that Shaka isn't a good coach, I would say that it doesn't appear to this point that he is a great coach, though I was hoping that would be true when he was hired...

You're also missing a ton of other evidence though...that you are conveniently leaving out....

1) Besides the Final Four Run - a hot team that got good matchups / with guard play that got hot at the right time of the season from outside - shooting above their season average by a significant clip from beyond the arc....what were his other Tournament Results at VCU? Hint - not good. So that isn't exactly a Fact - the one seasons results are a fact - but the post-season results are more "nuanced" than that.

2) Those season win totals are significantly inflated - in comparison to a Power 5 school / playing in a conference in which VCU has more resources that its opponents - and those schedules were not tough in the OOC schedules either - but you're using them as if the benchmark stands as a Fact / and its certainly more "nuanced" than that.

3) His weaknesses on offense / of a team's offense are ones that followed him from VCU - if you goto the Rams message board now, or even when he was hired / it's all they would complain about - poor free throw shooting and an offense that didn't have direction. Even when they had veteran players and point guards btw.

@o5prey

1. He was 2 & 4 for the rest of his Tournament results. Also, in his first year at VCU he did win the NIT.

2. The A10 is not some chickenshit conference. Kepom normally has it rated 7th or 8th. His out of conference strength of schedule was around 100, just about the same as Texas

3. His offense does need some work.

I think I am misunderstanding your argument then.

Ok... agreed he's a damn good coach (and a better person).

Agreed...he as not demonstrated he is or can be a good power 5 coach.

I think the Texas fans want a coach that competes for Big 12 basketball titles (reg season and post) and NCAA tournament wins. Not sure Shaka is that guy (and I am on the another year train for a lot of reasons).
I'm not sure that Shaka is that guy.

Reactions: JBR2009
OK, so based on a strawman argument with a hypothetical ignoramus of your own devising, you now claim to have irrefutably proven that Shaka is doing a great job. Irrefutable? This is a Rush Limbaugh-esque level of of delusional self-inflation. I love you Ketch, but you're better than that.

Look, I appreciate some of your points:
  • Recruiting has been exceptional under Smart, especially considering our record (although I'd argue we put a lot of eggs in the Keldon Johnson basket and got badly burned this year).
  • We are a young team (although in year 3 that starts to look like the coach's fault)
  • The Big 12 is a really tough conference (although with KU down it's the best opportunity in over a decade for a title)
  • We've been competitive with some great teams (although we always seem to lose those down the stretch, and for every Duke game this year we seem to have a KSU letdown to match)
  • Smart has done a great job before at VCU (although he did it in a mid-major conference where all that was needed was a good tourney run)
  • Texas is a tough place to win. We have always been a football school (although in some ways this helps, as our hoops program isn't burdened with teh expectations that a KU, UK or Duke job carries).
The bottom line for me, though, is simple. I expect our coach to have a team that is mentally prepared to compete every time they take the floor. I expect him to have an offensive system that takes advantage of his team's talents, creates mismatches against other teams' weaknesses, and put points on the board consistently. And I expect to see improvement - both individually and as a team - over the course of the season. Instead we have yet another year where this team periodically shows signs of regression and is, often as not, simply painful to watch.

I'm not saying Shaka is terrible in all aspects of coaching, I'm not trying to get the guy fired, and I'm not asking for Final 4. But I do think it's very fair - especially in year 3 - to have serious doubts about whether Shaka is going to get it done here. I'm at an Agent Mulder level "I want to believe" with Smart, but based on the evidence so far I just can't see it happening.

Another very good synopsis.

No, but both coaches had disaster seasons on their watch, just like Shaka a year ago.
16-18 vs 11-22 aren’t the same. But if you must, it’s one disaster out of 17 vs one out of 2 and it might be 2 if 3.

Just to be clear, I’d love nothing else than for Texas to finish strong and go on a run this March. I pull for ALL Texas teams and coaches. That doesn’t mean I can’t have serious doubts deep into year 3.

Reactions: NativeTex
16-18 vs 11-22 aren’t the same. But if you must, it’s one disaster out of 17 vs one out of 2 and it might be 2 if 3.

Just to be clear, I’d love nothing else than for Texas to finish strong and go on a run this March. I pull for ALL Texas teams and coaches. That doesn’t mean I can’t have serious doubts deep into year 3.
I don't disagree with any of that.

Do you think Lon Krugar is thinking to himself this weekend, "How did we lose twice to a team with shitty coaching?"
==============================================

Well, I don't know if Lon Krueger has thought that, but it has sure crossed my mind several times since Saturday.

.....................................................................................................

You don't think a guy that took a team slotted into the play-in game as a No. 11 seed in the NCAA Tournament to the Final Four can coach? A guy who coached a team to consecutive wins over an 11-seed, a 10-seed, a 6-seed, a 3-seed and a 1-seed can coach?
========================================

I sort of loosely equate winning a BCS (pre playoff)bowl game in football to making the final four (or at least the elite eight) in basketball. And Charlie Strong did that. Then he followed it up the next year with an 11 win season and a bowl win against Miami.

Do you think Lon Krugar is thinking to himself this weekend, "How did we lose twice to a team with shitty coaching?"
==============================================

Well, I don't know if Lon Krueger has thought that, but it has sure crossed my mind several times since Saturday.

.....................................................................................................

You don't think a guy that took a team slotted into the play-in game as a No. 11 seed in the NCAA Tournament to the Final Four can coach? A guy who coached a team to consecutive wins over an 11-seed, a 10-seed, a 6-seed, a 3-seed and a 1-seed can coach?
========================================

I sort of loosely equate winning a BCS (pre playoff)bowl game in football to making the final four (or at least the elite eight) in basketball. And Charlie Strong did that. Then he followed it up the next year with an 11 win season and a bowl win against Miami.
I loosely agree with that.

Reactions: Dave C2
Interesting take on Smart. I admire your willingness to go against the conventional wisdom of the OB community with your support of a coach struggling to keep his head above the .500 mark. I'm not close enough to the program to evaluate what goes on at practice or their team meetings but I was impressed with his public persona when he was hired. He is an impressive representative for the program but he better get things turned around on the court. Next year is year four and I believe he needs to win close to 25 games, finish in the top three or four in the Big 12 and win a game in the ncaa tournament to keep his job. I hope he does whatever he needs to do because I like what he brings to the program otherwise.

Interesting take on Smart. I admire your willingness to go against the conventional wisdom of the OB community with your support of a coach struggling to keep his head above the .500 mark. I'm not close enough to the program to evaluate what goes on at practice or their team meetings but I was impressed with his public persona when he was hired. He is an impressive representative for the program but he better get things turned around on the court. Next year is year four and I believe he needs to win close to 25 games, finish in the top three or four in the Big 12 and win a game in the ncaa tournament to keep his job. I hope he does whatever he needs to do because I like what he brings to the program otherwise.
That's more than fair.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT