ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Texas has seriously closed the gap)

No. 10 - The List: The Clash ...

Someone called me last week and said that I hadn't done Punk with one of my lists.

Challenge accepted. Man, if only I was able tp take the magic hot tub time machine back to the days when The Clash were playing and partying with Joe Ely. Oh, to be a fly on the wall.

Let's do this.

Honorable Mention: English Civil War, I'm So Bored With the USA, Stay Free, The Magnificent Seven, Clampdown and Death and Glory

10. Janie Jones

I probably have this song rated higher than almost anyone, but it's a song I've always liked and had to make my top 10.

9. Train in Vain

The band's first song to cross over and become a hit in the USA.

8. Should I Stay or Should I Go

Per Rolling Stone, Mick Jones says this song was "Our attempt at writing a classic. When we were just playing, that's the sort of stuff we'd play."

7. The Guns of Brixton

One of several songs fro the album London Calling that make the Top 10.

6. Rock The Casbah

It's hard not to recognize the sites and scenes of the official video, but if you need to know...

5. Complete Control

It's the band raging against everything that needed raging against.

4. Straight to Hell

This attack on American Soldiers who left pregnant women back in Vietnam mixes punk, reggae and hip-hop.

3. (White Man in) Hammersmith Palais

This is the song that made The Clash "the thinking man's yobs".

2. Spanish Bombs

Former INXS singer Michael Hutchence and I have something in common... this is one of our favorite songs from The Clash.

1. London Calling

There is no other choice for the No.1 spot.
Interesting....

If I were to do a top 5 albums of all time - London Calling would be on my list. With that said, I like your list but mine would look different. There are so many great Clash songs to choose from that everyone's list should look different. Lost in the Supermarket is a top ten along with The Card Cheat - but that's just my opinion man.

I find it odd that the world classifies the The Clash as Punk - I understand why it happens but their music wasn't really Punk - Joe Strummer doesn't get enough personal recognition. Again - all my opinion.

Great write up...

Interesting....

If I were to do a top 5 albums of all time - London Calling would be on my list. With that said, I like your list but mine would look different. There are so many great Clash songs to choose from that everyone's list should look different. Lost in the Supermarket is a top ten along with The Card Cheat - but that's just my opinion man.

I find it odd that the world classifies the The Clash as Punk - I understand why it happens but their music wasn't really Punk - Joe Strummer doesn't get enough personal recognition. Again - all my opinion.

Great write up...
I agree. Their music had so many influences that it's almost its own genre.

Why was David Thomas not in your list? You have Eric Winston from 2002 but not DT?

I didn't have Thomas' exact ranking from Rivals to use, whereas I did have Winston's national rankling to use as a guide.

I know where I had him ranked, but his ranking is tough to say exactly.

Reactions: DKinnamon
Interesting....

Great write up...
Great post. I think the Clash get pigeonholed as punk because they kind of emerged from that scene, even though they definitely evolved in their own direction.

Funny story I heard once - think it was Joe Strummer being interviewed in a Ramones documentary. He said they were trying to start a band but didn't feel like their musicianship was good enough. Then they met the Ramones before a London show. They basically said (and I'm paraphrasing) "You don't have to be any good, just watch us we are terrible!" He realized that he had two roads to take, basically go sit in his room for 3 years practicing guitar, or just get out there and do it. The rest is history.

• Love
Reactions: Zorlac and Ketchum
Great post. I think the Clash get pigeonholed as punk because they kind of emerged from that scene, even though they definitely evolved in their own direction.

Funny story I heard once - think it was Joe Strummer being interviewed in a Ramones documentary. He said they were trying to start a band but didn't feel like their musicianship was good enough. Then they met the Ramones before a London show. They basically said (and I'm paraphrasing) "You don't have to be any good, just watch us we are terrible!" He realized that he had two roads to take, basically go sit in his room for 3 years practicing guitar, or just get out there and do it. The rest is history.
Great story.

Ihave to say, there was more Clash reaction than I expected.
Yeah, I’m fine with the Clash but was really here just looking for permission to dream big, although I‘m not sure I’m ready for that just yet.

That super blue chip chart should have you dreaming!
Excited about how we look on paper. I want to see both Sark, Ewers and Worthy deliver with more consistency. On a positive note, in addition to recruiting well, this staff seems to be doing a good job at development (examples: Flood’s guys, Ford, Snacks, etc).

Agreed. Also, I have a feeling that most of this year’s “most memorable” catches will come from AD. The kid has the “it factor” and carries himself with a confident, “been there, done that” attitude. Hook’em
Nobody has been there, done that as much as Worthy.
He has some very memorable catches.

Reactions: matt0123
Excited about how we look on paper. I want to see both Sark, Ewers and Worthy deliver with more consistency. On a positive note, in addition to recruiting well, this staff seems to be doing a good job at development (examples: Flood’s guys, Ford, Snacks, etc).
Sark wanted coaches that were known for their development of players and he was given the wherewithal to go get them. When some did not work out he was given the opportunity to upgrade.
This administration wants Sark to succeed in a big way. Sark continues to evaluate his approach and make changes.

what's the thumbnail storyline?
@Ketchum The Sound of Freedom is true story based on Tim Ballard who left the Department of Homeland Security and founded a group that works with local police to catch child sex traffickers in other countries. They follow him as he tries to rescue a brother and sister taken from family.

It's not a political movie or conspiracy that some media pundits have written. A very powerful and emotional film showing the innocent children that get kidnapped and taken into the dark world of sex trafficking. Why more people don't talk about this disgusting and big billion dollar business, I will never understand. If you have children or even if you don't, this movie will touch your heart.

The movie has done very well the first week inspite of not having a big budget and shown on all screens.

Hope that helps Ketch! Thanks for all you do

Reactions: Rickstacopy
Sark wanted coaches that were known for their development of players and he was given the wherewithal to go get them. When some did not work out he was given the opportunity to upgrade.
This administration wants Sark to succeed in a big way. Sark continues to evaluate his approach and make changes.
Now is the time to be developing son of a guns and win.

@Ketchum The Sound of Freedom is true story based on Tim Ballard who left the Department of Homeland Security and founded a group that works with local police to catch child sex traffickers in other countries. They follow him as he tries to rescue a brother and sister taken from family.

It's not a political movie or conspiracy that some media pundits have written. A very powerful and emotional film showing the innocent children that get kidnapped and taken into the dark world of sex trafficking. Why more people don't talk about this disgusting and big billion dollar business, I will never understand. If you have children or even if you don't, this movie will touch your heart.

The movie has done very well the first week inspite of not having a big budget and shown on all screens.

Hope that helps Ketch! Thanks for all you do
I'll probably wait for it to be on demand, but I will check it out.

Aggies had 24 super blue chips and lost to app state…. Why don’t more people talk about jimbo being the biggest waster of talent in the history of sports? Is he? Is there anyone ever that has done more with less, now at two separate schools?

What about Derek Williams is he not a super blue chip prospect?? That would be 16
I think he was the first 5.9 so he missed "super blue chip" by 1 spot in the national rankings. Kid is a stud though. Also @Ketchum have their been any notes on Jelani Mcdonald? I know he was a bit further down at #97 nationally but still a fantastic athlete who could have been considered for super blue status.

How many people wound up with egg on their face by predicting that the Aggies would win something? Almost all of them.

I got a little number nerdy and became curious. What if you took each recruiting service and found their Super Blue Chip Mark. What it becomes is Rivals 6.0+, On3 96+, 247 96+, ESPN 85+. Now, if you look at each of the top rosters and count the guys that were a Super Blue in at least one of the services, here are the numbers:

Bama - 47
UGA - 45
Ohio State - 32
Texas - 25
Clemson - 24
LSU - 22
Aggy - 22
USC - 19
OU - 17
Michigan - 11

So similar to Ketch's report, it's Bama and UGA, then Ohio State, then the cluster of teams with Texas, Clemson, LSU and Aggy. It would be interesting to put a multiplier on each of these guys based on number of starts or experience to see which of these teams have extremely experienced Super Blue Chips vs young ones. Texas seems to have a pretty good mix of young and experienced.

Reactions: Horn19 and cooleyo
Somebody please educate the Clash folks on the difference between an Oil Derrick and a Pump Jack.

Last edited:
Reactions: matt0123
I think he was the first 5.9 so he missed "super blue chip" by 1 spot in the national rankings. Kid is a stud though. Also @Ketchum have their been any notes on Jelani Mcdonald? I know he was a bit further down at #97 nationally but still a fantastic athlete who could have been considered for super blue status.
I expect him to be a stud.

I got a little number nerdy and became curious. What if you took each recruiting service and found their Super Blue Chip Mark. What it becomes is Rivals 6.0+, On3 96+, 247 96+, ESPN 85+. Now, if you look at each of the top rosters and count the guys that were a Super Blue in at least one of the services, here are the numbers:

Bama - 47
UGA - 45
Ohio State - 32
Texas - 25
Clemson - 24
LSU - 22
Aggy - 22
USC - 19
OU - 17
Michigan - 11

So similar to Ketch's report, it's Bama and UGA, then Ohio State, then the cluster of teams with Texas, Clemson, LSU and Aggy. It would be interesting to put a multiplier on each of these guys based on number of starts or experience to see which of these teams have extremely experienced Super Blue Chips vs young ones. Texas seems to have a pretty good mix of young and experienced.
Almost everyone is young. Very few teams have a bunch of older guys.

If they get good quarterback play, they can still do some damage. The roster is still loaded.
Same for Texas. The talent is there for Texas to win the Big12 moreso than in any other season the last decade+. The success of this team will hinge on Quinn's right arm. That worries me.

• Haha
Reactions: Horn19
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT